View Poll Results: How would you rate the episode?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 "Buenas ding dong diddly dias!"

70 59.32%
  • 4/5 "It's still good, it's still good"

33 27.97%
  • 3/5 "It's gone."

13 11.02%
  • 2/5 "Lisa, noooo"

2 1.69%
  • 1/5 "I demand you apologize this second."

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review Lisa the Vegetarian

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Changing his name to HoJu homicidalcow's Avatar

Rate and Review Lisa the Vegetarian

Before I really watched much syndication, Lisa the Vegetarian was my favorite episode, as I think I saw it when it first aired and then during summer reruns; I loved it the first time and even more the second. It has since dropped to just outside my top ten. I was wondering what others think of it.

My favorite scene:

Burns- You know Smithers, I think today I'll donate a million dollars to the local orphanage-
    when pigs fly!
    [homer's roast pig flies by]
    Smithers- Will you be donating that million dollars now, sir?
    Burns- nooo, I'd still prefer not.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I am not a vegetarian myself, but I loved this episode upon viewing it for the first time, and I still love it now. Maybe it's on the preachy side, but this, like Lisa The Iconoclast, is one of the definitive "Lisa Takes A Stand" episodes. The flying pig, the Don't Have A Cow Man T-shirt, you don't win friends with salad, what's in a hot dog, all very inspired moments. And I enjoyed Paul and Linda McCartney's guest spot. Self-serving maybe, but entirely relevant to the plot.

Blockoland Owner

8/10. I loved the BBQ Scene with Homer saying "One Whopper for the Copper!"

Born To Be Wild!

It was alright, however it wasn't anything special. In my opinion it was average. 3/5

Pin Pal

A very funny and enjoyable episode. A-

overrated. B+

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

An important episode that isn't quite a classic, but handles what could be a preachy situation with very good humor and poignancy.

And you gotta love Apu singing.

"I'm Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Man. I hope I will enjoy my show."

4/5
    Last edited by Larson Something; 04-28-2004 at 06:45 PM.

This is how you characterize Lisa while she's taking a stand (unlike Lisa the Skeptic or that brief joke in Bart Star). She starts out subtle in her beliefs, simply requesting not to eat meat or dissect a worm, she makes a few suggestions towards Homer's BBQ and the school menu, but as a result of the constant mockery of her peers and family, and their needless and unfair oppression, she goes over the edge until realizing that she was wrong in going that far. You could understand why Lisa felt the way she did, and she didn't act in an unreasonable manner. Even without her characterization, this episode had plenty of great humor, what with the salad statement set to a conga beat, the lameness of Storytown Village, and arguably the funniest work of Troy McClure. The conversation around the breakfast table is one of my all-time favorite conversations on this show. I admit that Paul and Linda McCartney were a little unnecessary, but that's a minor quibble for me. This is one of my favorite episodes of all time. 5/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

I generally like Lisa episodes plus I'm a vegetarian myself and that makes the episode even more enjoyable. 5/5

Crotis Jivefunk

Better than other Lisa takes a stand episodes like Lisa Vs. Malibu Stacy or Lisa the Skeptic. It's very focused, funny, has emotion, and deals well with both sides of the issue. 5/5

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

Well, I find this episode to be a tad overrated, I'm not saying that it's not a good episode, I love it, But I just felt that Lisa was such a bitch in this episode, Still a classic and is one of those 'turning point' episodes I guess you could say A-

A little overated coz I find some scenes to be boring, but it's still one of the best Lisa episodes. 4/5

"You don't make friends with sa-lad!"

One of my favorite episodes. So many great lines, like: "This is lamb, not A lamb", and the whole when pigs fly bit, oh and barney saying "go back to Russia". I loved this, and i'm a HUGE meat eater. 5/5

Pin Pal

I'm not a vegetairian, but I'm not really into pork, and I can't stand unfresh lamb, so I can see where Lisa may be coming from.

As a Lisa fan, this quickly became my favourite Lisa episode, and stayed there for 3 more seasons.....until Little Big Mom came along. But even though I haven't seen it for a long time, its STILL a favourite.

I think Lisa learnt a very valuable lesson, and I liked Apu's "Toffu dogs" quote to an extent. Don't know why.
    Last edited by SimpsonByte; 05-26-2004 at 12:34 AM.
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Not really a favourite because I felt Lisa was a little to preachy and PC, but overall good. Some great humour and morals, and it ended on a very sweet note. B+

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Stonecutter

A good episode, but not a great one. It has a few problems, namely the slightly over-the-top jerkishness from both Homer and Lisa. Paul and Linda McCartney showing up was kind of weird and pretty pointless. But "It's still good, it's still good!".

4.5/5
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

wreck on the highway

A good episode, yeah. Funny, and a characterization change for the better. A-

This was a surprisingly funny episode with a nice message. I especially liked the educational film with Troy Mcclure. Skinner's lead-in was also hilarious:

Skinner: Good morning class. A certain...agitator...for privacy's sake let's call her...Lisa S. No, that's too obvious...uuuh, let's
    say L. Simpson..has raised questions about certain school policies. So, in the interest in creating an open dialogue, sit silently and watch this film.

LOL!

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine university!"

Grade: B

Good enough, but when compared to the two previous episodes or the other Lisa episodes of this season, it falls short. Lisa's newfound love of vegetarianism was very well written, and didn't seem to force her into loving just to make the plot work. The humor is generally pretty crisp too (the meat video is probably my favorite moment), and the ending is pretty sweet. But it at times comes off heavy handed, and Lisa's characterization was a tad shaky, bordering on the annoying mouth-piece activist developed in Cohen's other Lisa episode, "Lisa the Skeptic". Some of it is forgivable considering if Lisa, as a vegetarian, truly felt eating meat was murder, it is easy to see why she would do whatever it takes to discourage or eliminate eating meat. But the way the episode was written, with Homer and Bart's "You don't make friends with salad" song, a random piece of meat hitting Lisa in the face, or the town laughing at her vegetarian alternative, it makes Lisa a sort of victim and presents the story in a "right vs. wrong", "meat-eating bad, vegetarianism good" preachy storyline with the town in the wrong and Lisa in the right. And the cheesy cameo of Paul and Linda McCartney instructing Lisa about tolerance doesn't help either, despite its best attempts to at least make the episode a little more even handed. Still enjoyable however, mainly for the good gags and strong premise.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

The episode where Lisa flips out and goes insane. Well-written and mostly believable here, but a precursor to the irritating lows of seasons 9 and 10. As an issue episode, not all that remarkable, but the numerous gags and one-liners (the meat video, dinner conversation) keep this episode very enjoyable. An irritating cameo by the McCartney's hurts this episode. A prime example of why I'm glad celebrity cameos don't serve any plot purpose in the recent episodes, because the results are usually cheesy. B/B+

This Is Dizzy Stuff, Folks duffless89's Avatar

One of few episodes to contain a storyline (or element of one) that continues today.

Junior Camper

It's a great episode. The scene where Homer won't talk to Lisa is great.

A glass of syrup? Bah.

Originally posted by SimpsonByte
    I liked Apu's "don't eat anything that casts a shadow" quote.
    That was in Lisa the Treehugger, and it was Jesse Grass's line.
    Another Simpsons Fanart Site
    I'm going to slap the next person who says The Simpsons is a cartoon.
    S1.3 LIS+++ BUR+++&# HOM++/+++ OTT+# f+++ n Ipwo $+++ 3F22 3F21 3F01 M1984

Pin Pal

Originally posted by Brentyn
    That was in Lisa the Treehugger, and it was Jesse Grass's line.
    Well, I DID say I hadn't seen it for a long time. I only saw that quote once. I'll remove it.

Galalimit

A pretty good episode but Lisa was just way too annoying. 3.5/5

Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar

This is one of the funniest episodes out there. The jokes and gags flow like soy milk and bee-free honey. My favorite:

Bart: What's that extra B for?
    Homer: It's a typo.

It's a funny and touching episode in places, but you have the beginnings of jerk-ass Lisa here. That and the tacked on Paul and Linda scene bring it down considerably.
    3/5 or B

a really good episode with Lisa as main character.
    Think it's pretty funny what happens when Lisa decides to be Vegetarian.
    Also the scene with the BBQ is great imo.

4/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

This is an underrated episode. It's hilarious, and I specifically think the characterization of Lisa is underrated here. I much prefer when the writers don't hold her up on a pedestal and allow her to make an idiot out of herself...she's 8 years old and shouldn't know how to maturely deal with her views. And unlike the kinda similar Lisa the Skeptic, I find Lisa more angry than smug. So I actually find her more relatable and interesting than how she is in most O&W and Scully episodes. 5/5
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

really liked this episode, especially how Lisa admits she was also wrong..4.5/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Thread Information