View Poll Results: What would you give this "Marge Gets a New Job" episode?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Mmmmm, incapacitating.

44 41.51%
  • 4/5 It was pretty exciting...but celery soup is pretty exciting too!

52 49.06%
  • 3/5 I'm part of that thin blue line which stands between civilization and chaos.

9 8.49%
  • 2/5 You have the right to remain silent!

1 0.94%
  • 1/5 I choose to waive that right. BAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R/R: The Springfield Connection

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R/R: The Springfield Connection

I don't remember if I've done this before or not, but either way I've forgotten what the results were.

What are your opinions on this episode in which Marge got a job working as a police officer? I remember there were quite a few negative reviews at SNPP, but after a while I gave up listening to their opinion, so now I want to hear yours. I always found this episode very underrated, since it was season 6 but wasn't exactly one of the standout titles of the year.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

stop happening

I really enjoyed this episode, good jokes and a great plot. 5/5
    Season rankings (best to worst)

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: 

Pretty good, nothing special. B+

Pin Pal

A good episode. One of the better Marge centered episodes. I'll say a B.

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

I really enjoyed this episode, I don't know what it is that attracts me to it, But I just think it is really great, The plot is pretty strong, I think this is one of the best Marge based episodes of all time, I love it how Homer thinks that because Marge is a cop that he is the woman of the house, Really enjoyable episode, Very funny, Worth an A from me.

One of the best episodes of all time. Chief Wiggum is hilarious in it, the whole training seagment is the best scene in the entire episode. "You missed the baby, you missed the blind man." A+

wreck on the highway

5/5, one of my favourite eps ever.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Solid. Grade: B

Born To Be Wild!

A good 4/5 for me. Some parts I enjoyed a bit more than others, which brought the grade down a little bit...

Is It About My Cube?

Good episode. 4/5
    Seasons Rankings:

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I found this to be quite a good episode, and one of the better of the numerous Marge/Homer Get(s) A Job episodes. Lots of unpredictable moments, like Marge arresting Homer, and the old reversal-of-expectation, such as Homer shouting in anger, but it's not about Marge becoming a police officer; it's about Bart using his nail-clippers. Lots of jokery aimed at the incompetence of the police force, basically an episode for a good laugh. The ending in which Marge quits was a little predictable, but then we wouldn't want Marge to remain a police officer in future episodes, would we?

Blockoland Owner

good episode 4/5

3/5 It is enjoyable, but for some reason doesn't hold much appeal to me.

Stonecutter

It's good, it can be pretty funny, but it's nothing spectacular. B+
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

Grade: B

Solid outing that neither impresses itself as among the elite episodes of the series nor fails to entertain during viewing. It's pretty hard to buy Marge's impulsive urge to become a cop. She has some strange feelings of liberation/freedom/excitement after her encounter with Snake, rides on a grocery cart, and just decides to become a cop? Eh, I guess so. Despite some ventures into the predictable ("You missed the baby, you missed the blind man"), and tiring Homer antics (exploiting Marge's position as a cop, interfering with the capture of Herman), Marge's adventure if mostly good fun in a typical skit-show Mirkin style.

Hired Goon

It was good to see a different side of Marge, a Marge that was tired of her boring lifestyle and wanted to do something exciting and exhilirating. Although her wanting to be a police officer seemed kind of forced (first she's riding on a shopping cart, next she wants to become a cop), her plot was done well, and the conflict between Homer and Marge after the arrest was a good touch to the episode, with Homer finally realizing at the end that he shouldn't have made fun of Marge and should have respected her. Quite predictable, but pulled off well.

The humor was good too with quite a few good one-liners (after this case, and the case after that, there's only one case left!), Homer getting angry at Bart about the nail clippers (unlike what we expected), and some good jabs at the incompetence of the police force. Overall, a solid effort here. Not impressive in any right, but it's a solid piece of entertainment that has a good story and good humor. The hurriedness of Marge becoming a cop is all I had against this one. A-.

A very underrated episode. 5/5

Agreed with Channel Surfer really. This episode fails to really grab you into the story due to some illogical Marge behavior and plot development, and Homer is occasionally irritating in the way that he occasionally was during the Mirkin era (particularly season five, which this episode sort of feels like stylistically). But still it is fun as a farce and its impossible for me to not at least enjoy it everytime I see it, even if I don't consider it particularly memorable. Basically the humor is consistantly good with some genuinely great moments even, particularly with Herman, and doesn't really falter at any moment. And while the story is flawed its at least an interesting concept, sort of a "what if this happened?" sort of thing. Not excellent, but a solid show.
    B
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

4.5/5 Exceptionally funny.

Plus it made me feel sorry for poor, exploited Antoine Bugleboy.

Pin Pal

This is DEFINATLY, without a doubt, my favourite episode from Season 6.
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

Thrillhouse, indeed. SpikyHairedHooligan's Avatar

this episode is really underappreciated. i loved it. great characterizations, good plot, interesting throughout. 5/5
    Bart: Lis, I don't get it...Why does Milhouse's happiness make me sad?
    Lisa: Bart, you're worried you're losing Milhouse, and love is a selfish thing!
    Bart: Shut up! I don't love Milhouse!
    Lisa: Oh, really? The more you deny it, the more I know it's true!
    Bart: Oh, yeah? Well, whenever you're mean, I'm a trampoline. So everything you said goes back and hits your ugly head.
    Lisa: God, that was lame. Where did you get that?
    Bart: From Milhouse! Oh, I love him so much!

--"Little Orphan Millie"

I think this is one of the best with a Marge-centric episodes; it has a really good plot and it's also really interesting to see Marge as a police officer instead of a regular housewife. Great jokes and gags doesn't make this any less good, Chief Wiggum's parts were funny and Herman's apperance as one of the bad guys is great since he's just too underrated.

5/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-04-2010 at 11:53 AM.

very very very underrated and one of my favorite of all-time.

5/5

Funny and well-plotted, but not funny enough for a 5. Definitely a 4/5 though.

4/5, anyone else notice that Wiggum's hair is both black and blue in this episode?
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

I really like this episode, especially Marge plays a great part in this story.
    The Story is overall pretty good and Homer is funny too.

4/5

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Definitely an underrated episode. It was very funny and interesting throughout, with a great Marge characterization and role. The whole Herman integration seemed a bit forced, though, and the ending was too abrupt. 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    The whole Herman integration seemed a bit forced
    Please explain yourself about that, I didn't find it forced at all.

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Herman has never been friends with Homer's gang in the past, so it was contrived and forced to fit the plot.

I survived the Monorail TerwilligerBob's Avatar

I'm not sure why I like this episode so much, but for some reason I really, really do. Something that I can watch a hundred times over and not get bored of it. It has some flaws, Herman was a bit contrived; and the very end, when Marge quits, is a bit too rushed, but I am still very fond of this. A very good "Marge gets a Job" episode, with some really good characterization and humor on Marge's part, and I found the lovably pathetic Homer very hilarious and enjoyable to watch. I wish more episodes where Homer has a supporting role featured him like this. Chief Wiggum is also great in this ("You missed the blind man, the baby..."). All in all ,a nice comfortable episode that is very enjoyable but not exactly a stand-out. 4.5/5
    Last edited by TerwilligerBob; 08-22-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    "Attention Duelists!"

Thread Information