View Poll Results: How would you rate "Separate Vocations?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Systems analyst. Yes!

94 66.67%
  • 4/5 Military strongman!

42 29.79%
  • 3/5 Police officer?

4 2.84%
  • 2/5 Insurance salesman

1 0.71%
  • 1/5 Salmon gutter?!

0 0%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Separate Vocations

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

R&R: Separate Vocations

A historically important S3 episode, to me. It's a spiritual ancestor of two different types of future Lisa episodes:

1. The "Lisa doubts her intelligence" episode (Lisa's Rival, Lisa the Simpson, Smart and Smarter)

2. The "Lisa tries to fit in" episode (Summer of 4 ft. 2, Lard of the Dance, Little Girl in the Big Ten to some extent.)

Plus it has the "Bart becomes addicted to authority" subplot, which was great. And one of the great end-of-ep jokes in Bart's "I'll be right there to borrow money." line.

A 4.5/5, or A from me. Better than all the episodes it spawned, except Summer of 4 ft. 2.

Actually, I wouldn't credit this episode for spawning the "Lisa tries to fit in" archetype. That angle is no more touched upon here than in, say, "Moaning Lisa" at the end when she tries to appeal to the two kids to be happy. Actually less, as her rebellion here is more a response to her loss of purpose than to appeal to others.

Anyway Grade: B+

Nice fun episode that plays around with the elasticity of the characters in surreal, hilarious ways through reversing Bart and Lisa's roles. The Bart plot is easily my favorite, nice lighthearted story with his first taste of authority and loving it. Loved his brief adventure with Eddie, Lou, and Snake, Bart's pairing with Skinner, the confiscated goods room, even Steve Allen's brief part, to name some examples. And Bart's character is never contrived in any real way. My issues lie with the Lisa plot. I think it's a bit rash that Lisa would be discouraged so quickly and easily based off one test and the words of a supposed expert. I know she's at times self-conscience, occasionally very self-conscience. But giving up all your hopes and dreams over just those two things seem like a very forced way to get the role reversal to work. Plus despite her plot having quite a serious tone in comparison to Bart's, it's unfortunately hard for me to empathize with her rationale like the episode intended, because I never bought her rationale to begin with, and that generally makes her storyline seem less meaningful or impactive as a whole. But as fun episodes go, this one gets the job done, and is nevertheless very enjoyable.

great episode 5/5

but I don't rate episodes on that scale... its probably a 4.5/10
    Heckling a Puppet show.

Born To Be Wild!

A good episode. Just a few little problems here and there which made the grade drop a little bit so a 4/5 for me in my opinion.

stop happening

This episode was pretty good, I still think it could of been better. 4.5/5
    Season rankings (best to worst)

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brilliant episode a 4.5/5 which in this case I rounded up.

Stonecutter

I like it. It's funny, it tells a good story. The only problem is (as Channel Surfer mentioned) slight problems with Lisa's actions, but its not really that big of a deal here. A-.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

A superb episode, with the roles of Bart and Lisa practically reversed. Both Bart and Lisa's changes are fun to watch, Bart becoming a good student, almost going through some kind of "holier-than-thou" period, and Lisa becoming a real troublemaker, with...um...sexy results. No problems with Lisa's characterization at all for me, and just a few words can really shatter a person's outlook on life, so it's hardly a problem to me.

Is It About My Cube?

A good season three episode. 9/10
    Seasons Rankings:

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

Very good episode, Has some very funny moments. I think this episode is overlooked a fair bit, It's a fun episode to watch, It's really interesting to see Bart and Lisa as two different people to what they normally are, It ends well too. A

Junior Camper

4/5.

Liked this one. Lisa's rebelling was a great angle for the writers to take.

The whole Teachers Editions theft reminds me of when I was in school and my 6th grade teacher spent the entire class time reading out of the book. I think it's true that most teachers don't know what they're doing without a little "help."

One of the best ever IMO.

A very good, sometimes overlooked season 3 gem. A-

Hired Goon

Grade: A

A very intriguing look at Bart and Lisa opposite their normal selves. The only possible gripe one could have is Lisa's characterization, which I don't think is a factor. Her rebellious actions were fully developed, they were given a reason. Overall, a fun, enjoyable, simple, down-to-earth, insert additional adjective here episode.

Blockoland Owner

3/5

wreck on the highway

Fantabulous episode, nice bonding moments throughout, a stable story and great jokes. A+

Stonecutter

Originally posted by Wezzo
    Fantabulous...
    Never use that word again. Ever.

Stupidhead.

~The Law Office of Charmy, Charmy & Hank

...and now I have to talk some more about the episode to avoid being horribly beaten for posting off topic. Let's see:

I prefer to Bart half of the story to the Lisa half, if for no other reason than it's a lot fun-er. The ride along with the cops, the montage of him as a hall moniter, just everything about it is worth a laugh. Filled with great humour, such as "It's a good thing that alley got so narrow all of a sudden". Just great.

The Lisa half takes itself just a little bit more seriously, and as a result its not quite as fun or funny as the Bart scenes. It's probably what drags the episode down to the A- I gave it.

I love the locker search scene. Lot's of lighthearted fun, and the song is great. Perfect climax for the story.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

5/5 One of the best ever in my opinion. Perfect characterization of both Simpson kids.

Not a great episode, but still a very good one. It introduced one of the best plotlines ever, Skinner in Nam. B+

Crotis Jivefunk

An average season 3 outing IMO. Bart's plotline was awesome, introducing Skinner in Nam as Jay said. Lisa's plotline wasn't special, but it was believable and it kept her in character. B+/A-

One of the best ever. 5/5

enjoyable, but predictable, still 5/5

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

The first episode with the "everything that crashes bursts into flame" rule, I always laugh at the exploding milk truck, great Bart and Lisa episode 4.5/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

The Magic 7

A great episode. 4/5
    Top 25 episodes:
    1. Treehouse Of Horror V
    2. Homer The Heretic
    3. Bart After Dark
    4. Homer Badman
    5. Homer's Enemy
    6. Cape Feare
    7. Rosebud
    8. Bart On The Road
    9. Bart's Friend Falls In Love
    10. Marge Be Not Proud
    11. Round Springfield
    12. My Fair Laddy
    13. Last Exit To Springfield
    14. The Joy Of Sect
    15. Hurracaine Neddy
    16. Simple Simpsons
    17. Lisa's Substitue
    18. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious
    19. Mother Simpson
    20. Old Money
    21. In Marge We Trust
    22. Trilogy Of Error
    23. New Kid On The Block
    24. Hungry, Hungry Homer
    25. Brother From the Same Planet

My favorite part is the way Marge reacts when Lisa said that she would be better off dead than a homemaker.

Wow. I thought I was the only person who had a problem with Lisa's characterization here, and not only did Channel Surfer have that problem, but his explanation is like my exact thoughts. Anyway, still like the episode, hardly found anything special about the so-called bonding. I think that the emotion and intrigue that you were supposed to care about just didn't work at all, whereas the actual humor is incredible for Season 3.

Pageant of the Transmundane Homerpalooza's Avatar

A great episode. 5/5

5/5 An extraordinary episode.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

This is one of my if not the favorite simpsons episod from session 3.It has a very strog story.
    5/5

I voted 4/5 in the poll a while back, but ignore that. On re-viewing, this is an absolute classic.

First off, the plot is VERY strong. Lisa and Bart switching roles in society is a hoot, and both pull it off. Sure, Lisa is a bit insufferable, but that's the point. Humor-wise, this is also a brilliant episode. It starts off a bit slow, but from the extremely accurate police movie parody on, it's a blast. And the prank Lisa pulled was great...how many kids have thought of doing that in the past?

"Laramie Juniors"

"I will not point out the ignorance of the faculty."

"Damn boxes..."

This is what the Simpsons is all about. They really don't make them like this anymore. 5/5

Thread Information