37 26.81%
  • 5/5

24 17.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R/R Trouble With Trillions

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

R/R Trouble With Trillions

Just watched this today and remembered what a terrible episode this is. Humorous moments are few and far in-between (the TVPG rating for the film, Homer's last minute tax-filing). Meanwhile, we have all the trademarks of a bad Simpsons episode: irritatingly stupid Homer characterization, a cliched and paper-thin satire using easy targets like the IRS, ridiculous plot, cheap and embarrassing gags (Lisa's line about college), and a zany third act that makes the whole episode confusing, painful, and pointless. It made me very much dislike Homer and Burns by the time they're running to Cuba. Very cartoonish, and, other than a handful of decent gags, doesn't have a trace of intelligence, wit, or insight that I'd expect. This was worse than all but 2 or 3 Jean-era episodes, and a true Scully bomb. 1/5

What are your thoughts?

Born To Be Wild!

I saw it quite a while ago and I must say was a poor episode. I voted 2/5 because there were bits in it that did make you laugh a bit sometimes but all in all a poor, forgetful episode...
    2/5

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its been quite a while since I saw it so I wont grade it, but I really dont rember it being that bad. There's definatley been more than 3 worse Jean episodes.

Horribly stupid in just about every way. D

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Abysmal Burns characterisation! He showed no signs of evilness at all here, it was just his "Rich, senile old man" characterisation all the way through. Not only that but it focused too much on Burns and Homer's adventure, and had hardly any of the rest of OFF in. Lastly the ending was far too rushed, this needed to be a 2-parter to succeed. C-

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Crotis Jivefunk

Good up until the 3rd act, like many Scully episodes. 3/5

Area Man

It was OK, decent on the humour front but the plot went nowhere. I didn't think Burns was too bad here, but he has been far better. C+

2/5... pretty lame
    Heckling a Puppet show.

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Actually didn't mind Lisa's "Forget college, let's buy dune buggies!" line. Real people say things that seem way out of character all the time, and that one seemed remotely plausible.

However, the episode as a whole is a shoo in for my all-time Ten Worst. A somewhat promising start that went way off the rails. 2/5.

Originally posted by Larson Something
    Actually didn't mind Lisa's "Forget college, let's buy dune buggies!" line. Real people say things that seem way out of character all the time, and that one seemed remotely plausible.
    As I said in another thread, that line was supposed to subvert traditional expected Lisa behavior. It's actually something Ian Maxtone-Graham has done on more than one occasion, her "I know they're made from animals" remark in regards to the shoes in "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" and her "No, but I like the smell" in regards to cooked lobster in "Lisa Gets an A". Not a big fan of any of them really.

As for this episode, bad. Though I did like the first act enough to keep this episode hovering around a C-/D+.
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 03-16-2004 at 10:16 PM.

Hired Goon

The first act was great, by far the funniest and most well-done of the episode. Then it became crap. I don't think I laughed once after the first act. Like Channel Surfer, I bumped my grade up based on the first act, but it only gets a C- out of me.

Junior Camper

I give it a 2/5. How stupid can Homer get? I would expect more from Mr. Burns. Not even knowing Cuba when they see it? Give me a break. The whole Fidel Castro thing seem forced also.

The only part I kind of liked was the fact that Ned woke up at Midnight on January 1st to do his taxes. That was pretty good. Everything else kind of stunk.

Blockoland Owner

4/5

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Judging by the first act where Homer forgets to pay his taxes and races to hand in his tax return before the midnight deadline, this could have been a very good episode. Alas, it was not to be, for the plot twists and turns with more meanders than the River Thames. The idea of a trillion dollar bill was completely ludicrous, far-fetched and badly executed. No nation would have been able to afford a trillion dollars in 1945, but that's just historical nitpicking. The episode improves when Homer has to spy on Mr Burns (who possesses the trillion dollar bill) and they flee to Cuba with Mr Smithers only to lose it to Fidel Castro, but even then, the scripting is weak. The bill is lost almost instantly. If you blink, you'll miss it. The rest of the family has a disappointingly short amount of airtime, and are badly characterized, notably Lisa with "Who needs college? Let's buy dune buggies!" The anti-patriotic ending tried to be funny, but was a dismal attempt at humor. I will add that the episode has marginally improved in the years following this one, but that's probably because the episodes after it were much much worse.

Stonecutter

Had some funny gags, but was ultimately forgettable. Went downhill right after the first act. 2/5

Nobody knows how to create a whopping 1/5 like the flawless combination of Scully and Maxtone-Graham. This remains one of my least favorite episodes of all time. There was almost no reason for why the IRS would employ Homer to work for them, and after one case they send him in to Burns' mansion to retrieve a one trillion dollar bill? The premise of this episode was just lazy and stupid. Then the reason for the second plot point (Homer escaping the country with Burns) was even lazier, then as others have mentioned, we then get that awful line from Lisa about preferring dune buggies to college. Then when they get to Cuba, we get a string of boring Cuban gags, an anti-climactic resolution, and one of the stupidest endings of all time. I hated it then, and I still hate it now. It deserves less, but I can't go lower than a 1/5.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

I guess the reason I don't mind the "dune buggies" line is that I see it as a knee-jerk reaction. Not for a minute do I believe that Lisa wouldn't want to go to college and get several degrees, even with a trillion dollars.

But I see why people assume the worst. It is an awful episode.

Junior Camper

I think it is a great episode 4/5

Stonecutter

Abysmal episode. Didn't laugh once and my brain almost dried up due to boredom. 1/5

wreck on the highway

Not terrible - but hardly above average. C

Maybe the best of the Scully era (which STILL isn't that good). I liked the part when Homer put the hand of the one agent on the butt of the other, and some other ones like "I call president". But only a 2/5.

All of The General's signatures are hosted by ImageShack

Stonecutter

If there's a pugatory, I bet they make people watch this there.

Poor characterization, bad satire and a terrible attempt at a story, all while being unfunny- all Scully trademarks executed to their fullest. Not a good episode at all. C-
    Last edited by Charmy; 05-28-2004 at 02:51 PM.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

Changing his name to HoJu homicidalcow's Avatar

I think the poll speaks volumes about the episode. Only one person gave it a 5, and so we can say it was definitely not perfect. I think this episode really depends on your tastes. The average being barely above a 2.5/5. I personally love Maxtone-Graham which explains why I gave it a 4.
    Ya get that George W.? Huh?

"If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about."

Stonecutter

An extremely boring episode with horrible Burns characterisation and just a typical Scully episode - C-

Monorail Conductor

I think you all are nuts! This episodes is one of the better episodes a la Matt Groenig. Trouble w/ Trillions is so typical satire for the Simpsons (the photo booth, the IRS, Harry Truman, Mr. Burns being trusted with a trillion dollar bill, calling for President, Mr. Burns not knowing that Fidel Castro had been President of Cuba since 1959 even though he's 104 years old, and especially Mr. Burns thinking that Homer is snooping around his mansion from Star Snoop.) Best episode ever? I think not but I definatly do not think that this episode deserves less than a 3/5. The ending might be a little rushed - true, but this is probably one of the first episodes that I can remember where Homer and Mr. Burns actually got along, even though Mr. Burns did not realize that he was his employee from Sector 7-G. I voted for 4/5. Anyone else that will back me up?
    Homer: "I call the big one Bitey."

Junior Camper

I used to hate this episode, but it grew on me. 4/5

I just think it's funny for some reason. Way too wacky and it could've been better, but still.

Homer: Yes, sir, No, sir, I'm sorry, sir, an older boy told me to do it.

They pee in a cup and throw it on you.

Is It About My Cube?

Horrible episode. The jokes are few and far in between. Terrible characterization of Burns and poor satire. D-
    Seasons Rankings:

Pin Pal

This was...well, OK. Good, but not great. Maybe about 46 in my top 64.
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Is there any wonder I like her so much?

Pin Pal

3/5 meh, C grade

big smart, smart person

hard to say, an episode that I would usually hate. Way too much stupid humour and a quick ending- oh well we lost the bill, lets go home and just bribe our way out of court, but i thought they were alot of funny jokes so C
    I love the little tacos...

I love them good.

Thread Information