100 36.76%
  • 3/5

71 26.10%
  • 2/5

37 13.60%
  • 1/5

15 5.51%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Margical History Tour" (FABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate and Review: "Margical History Tour" (FABF06)

From SNPP
    There's a shortage of books at Springfield Library, but Marge isn't about to let that stand in the way of telling a few stories about historical characters: Henry VIII (Homer), Lewis and Clark (Lenny and Carl), Sacagawea (Lisa), and Mozart (Bart)
    Fans of "Simpsons Bible Stories" and "Tales from the Public Domain" stoked. As usual, the thread and poll will open as soon as the episode has aired. For those of you who are impatient, you can preview and speculate about the episode in this thread.

pretty rad

SOMEONE GET ME A FRAMEGRAB OF THAT RON SANTO BOOK. NOW.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

Originally posted by PsycheEnFuego
    bad pef.

All By Me Onesies

'Twas not a terrible episode, though the Bart-Mozart wasn't as amusing as I first expected. I enjoyed Henry VIII quite a bit.

4/5 for the season
    3/5 for the Simpsons in general.

Damn good episode. First two acts were fast paced and non-stop laughs. Third act slowed down a bit, but the first two were good enough to keep this a 5/5
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

pretty rad

REPEATING MY DEMAND IN THE FIRST POST.

Also, that was good! Pretty funny for what it is. The only thing I didn't really care for was the Musical Fruit opera (not really the funniest lyrics). Otherwise, everything came together well and was pretty funny... the Animal House ending was a lot funnier than the Ghostbusters ending from Public Domain. Because people will probably be making this comparison a lot in this thread.

Junior Camper

that was awful
    I didn't laugh once

I'm probably alone in this, but I felt that the best part of the episode was Homer's "Animal House" song at the end (with the goofy 'where-are-they-now' montage).

2/5. Nothing too spectacular. We've seen much better this season.

Well, I'm not going to write a review yet, I only saw the episode once.

It seemed as the subplots went on, so did the quality of the writing/jokes. The Bart/Mozart one being the best.
    I also enjoyed the Marge bits in between each plot, and the site gags. For this "type" of episode, they pulled it off extremely well.

I really dont know what to vote. Maybe 4/5

The cosmic ballet goes on.. Radioactive Man's Avatar

Well, this was probably my favorite of the trilogy type episodes.

Junior Camper

A better than expected episode considering how prior "story telling" episodes have faired.

A strong 3/5

I wanted to give this a 3, but that ending boosted its score to a 4

"ANIMAL HOUSE!"

Overall there where quite a few funny parts, this in no way will replace "tales from the public domain" as best 3 parter episode, but it defenetly was one of the better eps of the season

4 stars

also were any of my fellow Canadians almost sexually excited that we got to see the episode on FOX instead of that shitty "promote train 48 every 4 seconds" GLOBAL network - i wish GLOBAL pre-empted the simpsons every sunday, cause seeing an episode on FOX is so much better(this week we got to see the promo for next week, which Global never shows) - Fuck you Global!

Also i wonder who dies next week?

Junior Camper

my main observation is that there were really no bad parts at all!!! I thought each segment flowed really well and were very enjoyable. While there werent a lot of laughs, i still found each story equally enjoyable, with the second being a little more funny. I thought the transitions for each segment were done well and the ending was very funny. All in all a solid episode to add to a good season.

4/5
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

It was entertaining, but I'm kind of sick of these 3 part "story" episodes. It always seems like they try too hard on shock value jokes in these. This was far better than Tales From Public Domain, though.

My favorite part was Marge explaining the Sacagewea dollars. Like PEF said, I thought the "Musical Fruit" thing was childish and stupid, as was Lisa trying to grow a penis. I hate penis jokes - why do they have to do one like, almost every episode these days?? This didn't really bring down the episode though, and the ending was really good, especially with the "recap."

4/5
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 02-08-2004 at 05:41 PM.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Uh, Lisa tried to grow a penis. God, I fucking hate this show.

really hates Wayne Rogers Zillionaire's Avatar

agree with a couple of the above posts - better than usual for this type of episode - ending was particularly funny - 4/5
    "and I love youuuu, tooooo...

I am you and you are youuuuu...

Oh you and me, together you can seeee....."

mostly harmless

Yes, Global does indeed suck the bag.

But I think this was a great trilogy episode, and I was amused. Nothing special, but the humour put it over the top. 4/5

Aside from the crude sexual oriented jokes (which I felt very disturbed by) I deem this episode 5/5. The Mozart skit saving the day on a half decent episode.

If only these Simpsons writers would come down to earth with their episode ideas.

The real question remains... Is this the beginning of an era of Toupee accurate reviews ?
    Last edited by Datoupee; 02-08-2004 at 05:41 PM.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

Stonecutter

My breakdown:

The intro to the first segment went surprisingly fast. I figured they'd take longer with it.

Henry VIII was the weakest of the segments. Not as funny, not as engaging, and had that weird penis gag (which, although it was bad, didn't bug me as much as a lot of the more off colour humour we get). I give it a B.

Lisa's segment (Sorry, I can't spell the native name) was pretty rushed and more or less just for laughs. It succeeded pretty well in that area, I guess. B+

The Mozart segment was great. It started off a little shaky, but it got a lot better. I loved it, especially the ending. A-.

My total score for this one averages to a B+/A- (Yes, I realize that doesn't quite work out). Very good. I'll just give it the 5/5, even though it's more of a 4.5/5.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

country sad ballad man

Act 1- B+
    Act 2- A-
    Act 3- A
    Overall: A-
    Very good use of secondary characters as historical style people
    Last edited by Mason; 02-08-2004 at 05:45 PM.

Junior Camper

It was OK. The first act with the head chopping... we know the story and get the idea, it almost felt like a THOH with all the violence. The second act was pretty good. The final story could have been SO much better.

3/5

I thought they were supposed to show a new episode tonight, not a rerun of "Tales From the Public Domain"!

This episode felt so much like "Public Domain" it hurt. It even followed the Homer story, Lisa story, Bart story formula (which was even present in "Tall Tales"). Now, before I get really negative, I'll say overall this was actually the best of these "story" episodes (the contenders being "Bible Stories", "Tall Tales" and "Public Domain"). Each story was told relatively smoothly, which is the only uphand it really had to "Public Domain" (which suffered from narrative fluidity in its first two segments).

However, big problem: it wasn't funny enough. The only laughs really came out of jokes being related to things of each time period, or related directly to each story's origins. Jokes like the penis bit, the head-chopping, and the Milhouse killing really just didn't do it for me (in fact, seeing Lisa trying to grow a penis was the worst joke of the entire season, and I'm usually okay with genital jokes).

There's really not that much to say. No horribly glaring problems. Nothing terribly memorable. Some chuckles here and there, and you have a 3/5 averagefest.
    Signature.

Crotis Jivefunk

Bland and forgettable. I'm just glad they didn't end the episode with them dancing to Rock Me Amadeus. 3.5/5

our backs against the wall

Henry VIII- I agree with Charmy, this was the weakest segment. It really wasn't that funny and the penis joke was awful. One of the worst jokes in the history of the show. C

Lisa's story (I can't spell, sorry)- Some funny dialogue between Lenny, Carl, and Lisa. Overall not a bad segment. The only thing I have to complain about is that Lisa seemed kind of bitchy throughout this segment. B

Mozart- Best segment of the night, wonderful. Not only was there great jokes, there was also excellent animation. Every character fit perfectly into the story. A-

Overall: Well except for the first segment, this was a great episode. It rounds out to a solid B. I also will point out that I loved the ending, way better than "Domain's" ending.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

I won't be seeing this episode until tomorrow, but I'm always interested in finding out who wrote what in episodes. Could somebody post the writers of tonight's episode for me? You know, to tide me over and stuff.
    signature

Brian Kelley wrote this one.

Junior Camper

Originally posted by PsycheEnFuego
    Way ahead of you:
    LINK

But besides the Santo reference, I only have three words for this episode: shoot me now.

All By Me Onesies

Originally posted by Strong Sad
    Bland and forgettable. I'm just glad they didn't end the episode with them dancing to Rock Me Amadeus. 3.5/5
    I'd rather see that than a stupid Animal House song and a "where are they now?"

Stonecutter

I caught most of it, and never really got into the episode to begin with. I didn't laugh at all, and thought some of the jokes just didn't work. 2/5

Boring, forgettable. The penis and opera jokes were awful. Plus I don't really like trilogy episodes to begin with. Meh, like Strong Sad said, at least it didn't end with them dancing, although the random song was just as bad now that I think about it.

2/5
    Last edited by Unel; 02-08-2004 at 06:08 PM.

Thread Information