137 45.36%
  • 3/5 -- *eye shifts left, then right, then left again*

60 19.87%
  • 2/5 -- i've seen better writing in a mad tv parody

32 10.60%
  • 1/5 -- i'd rather drink bleach

11 3.64%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Diatribe of a Mad Housewife" (FABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "Diatribe of a Mad Housewife" (FABF05)

From SNPP
    Authors Tom Clancy and Thomas Pynchon guest voice themselves when Marge writes a novel, basing the main characters on Homer and Ned

Bad news for those of you expecting to see what the reclusive Thomas Pynchon looks like, even in animated form: he's drawn wearing a paper bag over his head
    As usual, the poll and thread will open once the episode airs.

didn't really care for this one, it wasn't the worst, but it wasn't as funny as a simpsons ep should be

is it just me or has this season been hit, miss, hit, miss etc - its like we get a great epiosde, then a bad one, then a great one then a bad one and so on

also i hate what they've done with marge, i hate her character now and episodes based on her are getting pretty bad lets focus on more bart, he's being overlooked this season

2/5

freedom. silence. always.

great parts:

- "what if they parody it on mad tv?" "we're doomed."
    - book tape with the olsen twins
    - "so how much bleach did you drink? ... not a talker, eh?"
    - "lee harvey oswald wanted to steal the jack ruby!"

all in all, very good ep: 4/5

Junior Camper

the jokes were funny, everyone was in-character, and nothing outlandishly wacky happened to ruin it. i thought the 3 arms joke was gonna destroy the episode, but they didn't let me down. i honestly don't like many new episodes the first time i see them, but i liked this one. A-

it was alright. Had a couple good jokes like seeing the workings of Lisa's mind and Homer's line "I didn't lie, I wrote fiction with my mouth."

But Marvin Monroe???
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

really hates Wayne Rogers Zillionaire's Avatar

run of the mill
    "and I love youuuu, tooooo...

I am you and you are youuuuu...

Oh you and me, together you can seeee....."

Junior Camper

Good episode, 4/5. Best part wasd the end, "Marge, I got it! Lee Harvey Oswell wanted to steal the Jack Ruby!"

3 questions though:
    Isn't Marvin Monroe dead? (Dr. Monroe memorial hospital)
    How will Homer go back to working at the Nuclear Plant?
    When did the hospital hire Homer?

I enjoyed this episode. Lots of jokes and the story didn't get too crazy. 3.5/5

spleef

I enjoyed it. Good references (Boris Car Loft), good use of characters (the return of Helen), good use of guest-stars (the Pynchon scene is my favorite) and a plot that remains grounded and doesn't skip around like previous episodes.

4/5

Outstanding! I want to give it a 5/5 right off the bat, but I do need to rewatch it again; this was certainly the best episode of season 15 so far. It was also an example of how a strong plot can really make wacky gags not seem so glaring (because there were plenty of wacky gags throughout, but they never once made me feel like punching the screen [okay, okay, the syringe/defibrillator gag])...
    Last edited by chris; 01-25-2004 at 05:38 PM.

Pin Pal

I liked it. And for all of you who want Ned to act in character this should please you.

I noticed Maggie Roswell in the voice credits. I wonder what she did in this episode.

Junior Camper

COUCH GAG:
    Simple, yet very funny. But not super-duper ultra spectacular.
    4/5

ACT ONE:
    Homer in the opening with the food was funny. 911 busy. HAHA!!! Good to see snpp and burnsy. Homer’s firing wasn’t too bad honestly. Animation looking good so far. Good way for Marge to be introduced to books. The willie quote had me rollin. Marge felt genuine in this segment and not “annoying scratchy voice marge”. I don’t like the fact that homer has a new job. But we’ll see. The syringe/defibrillator joke wasn’t good. But it can be overlooked because it was quick and not overblown. Working the ship painting in was great. After 15 years, we figure out what it is. The ending was a bit quick. Overall it was a decent, but really fast paced first act. I wish they would have spent more time in the snpp. But so far pretty decent. Hopefully they will stick to marges job more than Home-boys.
    4/5

ACT TWO:
    Ah. Marge’s story was ok I guess. Involving the family was decent, but not overly funny. Homer’s story was just ok too. When marge started to write about Homer being a jerk, it made it a little more interesting, but not so much funny. Loved the Ned-caveman joke. Bulky ned was hilarious. Homer making out with the boat was sick, but eh. Oh well. Lisas brain was really good. The story started to slow down which was good and focused on marge well enough. Homer naked was great and he felt stupid, not jerkassish. (what was with his eyes??) The guest appearances were kinda funny, but fairly useless. I still liked them though. I did like that Homer’s part was kept to a minimum, but it needs to be wrapped up somehow. Him not reading the book was good, although the same basis has been used before. All in all, a half-decent act that had a lot of story, but little laughs
    3/5

ACT THREE:
    MARVIN MONROE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?! Smithers in the gossip talk was funny and Moe was great. Glad to see homer back at the Kwik-E-Mart. Apu quote was great. The olsen twins were used well. Nelson stealing was great. I like how they went back and forth between the book and real story. It seemed to end a little quick, but it was definitely a good ending in the fact that Homer was a sweet guy and not a loaf trying to kill flanders. I wish they woulda made Homer an snpp worker again, but I think it can be easily overlooked. I dunno. Not 100% sure what to think on that.
    4/5

All in all an ok episode. It wasn’t bad at all, but it wasn’t spectacular. Small jokes and a fairly reality based plot made it enjoyable. I think it is a good addition to season 15 and I cant wait till next week.
    OVERALL: 4/5
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

i liked it a lot. favorite joke was homer covering up his fart with the radio

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

The appearance of Marvin Monroe was stupid, but Flanders looked funny with long hair. That is all. 5/10, C

I thought it was a bit below average.
    I didn't think the Homer ambulance subplot was necessary at all, and that time could've been better spent developing Marge's. (for example, why did she even start writing a novel in the first place?) Also, they didn't even really conclude Homer's subplot.

Although there were some good bits, like the eye shifting, Lisa's brain, Apu's suggesting, Homer and the radio, and more.

PS: Dr. Marvin Monroe? They established he was dead so long ago. Keep him that way.

PPS: Scene from Moby Dick? Marge painted that I thought.

Full review a little later. I need to think about this one. But I do have to say, I'm seeing the struggle with Marge's character. Since when did she become so.....dumb? Just little things, you know. And I didn't like seeing another stupid "modern" analogy/comment ("darker than the new Milky Way bars?"), like "more violent the hiphop awards".
    Last edited by Tomacco; 01-25-2004 at 05:41 PM.
    Signature.

Beautiful. 5/5. I was really worried they were gonna screw it up with a bullshit ending since it was running close to 8:30 without a resolution... but I think it was pulled off really well.
    Homer's ambulance job wasn't gone into with too much detail (which is good, because it really could have screwed up the episode) but it provided the laughs of the episode. Story with potential to be ridiculous, but it was all executed well. That's what Al Jean has been doing a lot this season, bad idea with great execution. Good thing, because original ideas are being harder and harder to come up with.

The Spring in Springfield

Meh. Better than pretty much the entire season so far, excluding a few, but still not very good. C+.

Pin Pal

Originally posted by magus7000
    MARVIN MONROE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?!
    That caught me off guard as well.

Stonecutter

Diatribe of a Mad Housewife: Good, but not as good as it could have been. The description made it sound like Flanders teaching Homer was a major part of the episode, so I feel rather cheated. Anyway, it was pretty good. 4/5

Do you think the Marvin Monroe appearance mean they've decided they want to use him again in future episodes, or was it just a one-shot joke?
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

Junior Camper

best jokes for me:

some people say being a cave man is old fashioned. then i guess im just a cave man...if they existed....which they didnt.

and the "mmm blowholes joke."

reminded me of the Steve Wright joke, "i lost my buttonhole...where the hell am i going to find another one?"

(you cant buy nothing)

Honestly, I didnt even know a new episode was airing tonight. But its a good thing I tuned in and above all recorded it. Why? Twas a very good episode. I laughed out loud a number of times, and thats the best part of any show. The jokes were all greatly timed and written. A few jokes did lack in meaning, however. The plot didnt seem to get me going that much, but the show itself was terrific. Great improvement from the last few episodes, therefore I cannot wait to view it again. Definitley one of, if not the, best of the season so far. All around, the episode was great by my standards. Sharp and clever at times, but did not tamper with annoying, repeating gags like Homer's whining and bloody flesh wounds. Will definitley watch it again. A

Guy who loses arguments. newhook_1's Avatar

I liked it better than the last two episodes. 4/5 on first viewing, 3.5/5 on second viewing, so I'll vote 4.

our backs against the wall

I agree with Tomacco. Very unsure about this one. The Marge plot was very good, I loved to see the little world that was created with Marge's book. Very good animation. But the episode is dragged down a lot by the pointless Homer subplot. Which isn't developed and concluded properly. That's just lazy writing. And it took away from the Marge, Homer plot. The jokes in the episode are ok. I chuckled at a few, but it wasn't as funny as say "Fifteenth Season" or "Carjacker". It's gonna need another watch but for right now it's a B-/C+

Did anyone else think that the commercial breaks were put in absolutely HORRIBLE spots? Especially the first one, at the "brownie break". Whoa..wait. I just got it. Heh, okay I guess that's kinda funny. Maybe I'm thick-headed for not getting that joke while watching the episode.

Enjoy!

I liked this one, I thought it was great to see Dr. Monroe again! 5/5
    NO MATTER HOW HORRIBLE THINGS MAY SEEM, THEY CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE.

Pin Pal

Too wacky, there is no continuity anymore with this show. A decent episode, as I am writing this, no one is yet to mentioned the Lisa's brain gag, which was awesome. I liked some of the other jokes too. The writers cameo's were awful. The Joke with Homer and Bart's eyes moving was stupid too. The Parody on MAD TV was great too. I am on the fence on this once, but it is getting a lower grade for bringing back Marvin Monroe. That is a sign that the show is going downhill again. Overall, I voted 3/5, and I will give it a C.

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

2/5

I did not like this ep. I thought it had some potential. However, some things though fell flat.

1) Homer getting fired, and then getting a new job – I hate these kind of eps on principle. Homer is now a ambulance driver.

2) Jerkass Homer – he appeared a few times in this ep (Homer’s response to Lisa asking him to admit he doesn’t know how to get to the hospital, “the CPR lessons the kids need”)

3) Marge – I don’t know what it is, but I did not like Marge in this one

4) Homer getting distracted – A lot like Bart in “Special Edna”. Could have done more with that scene.

5) Dr. Marvin Monroe is alive – Why not just bring Maude back from the dead? I mean, in the “138 episode spectacular” they said Monroe was dead. They had his grave in “Alone again…” I hate it when continuity is destroyed to this extent.

I agree with SpongeBob No Pants, this season does seem a little hit, miss. Hopefully the next ep will be good. 2 whole weeks without the Simpsons, again.

There were some good bits, though. It was nice that the painting got noticed, and Moe’s garb and dialogue in the gossip gag were great.

Unfortunatly, the bad outweighed the good, IMHO.

spleef

Originally posted by Tomacco
    Especially the first one, at the "brownie break". Whoa..wait. I just got it. Heh, okay I guess that's kinda funny. Maybe I'm thick-headed for not getting that joke while watching the episode.
    I don't get it. Drug reference? Procrastination? I'm so confused.

a malcolm and a archer

- You get up for food during commercial breaks.
    - Brownies are a food.
    - Brownie break, while a break for Marge, can be a brownie break for the viewer too.

Review coming up a little bit later. I just need to look at a couple aspects again.

Originally posted by Retro Moose of Doom!
    I don't get it. Drug reference? Procrastination? I'm so confused.
    Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there, but the way I'm getting it now is that the commercial break is overlapping Marge's brownie break, because when we return from commercials we're right back with Marge at the computer.

Or it could just be a bad act break position, which is the first thing I felt when I watched the actual episode.

I guess the choice is yours.

Thread Information