View Poll Results: How would you rate "I, D'oh-bot?"

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 (Affirmative)

116 34.42%
  • 4/5 (the Panthers better beat one of 'em)

106 31.45%
  • 3/5 (failing that, let's hope the AFC wins the Super Bowl)

83 24.63%
  • 2/5 (COLTS)

17 5.04%
  • 1/5 (Negative)

15 4.45%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "I, D'oh-bot" (FABF04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "I, D'oh-bot" (FABF04)

From SNPP
    Homer and Bart build a Robot Wars-style robot, but when they discover they don't know as much about building killer robots as they thought, Homer decides to get inside of it; Marge and Lisa are under the impression that Snowball II "went to kitty heaven"

NOTE: This episode may start late and/or be "already in progress" in the Eastern and Central time zones because of an NFC Divisional Playoff football game that starts at 4:45 Eastern; if the game runs until 8:30, the episode may be pre-empted, in which case the rest of the USA (and possibly Canada) would most likely get a repeat of another Season 15 episode.
    As usual, the poll and thread will open once the episode airs (whenever that may be). Mods, feel free to edit the poll -- I once again have nothing clever to add.

I can see some people ripping on it, but I liked it.
    Full review shortly.

Lauren Macmullan for prez!
    Signature.

Junior Camper

Couch gag: good…. Not great….. 3/5

ACT ONE:
    Insane direction and animation. Great Milhouse gags, the bikes of the town were funny (Ralph on big wheels). Not sure bout the bitchin joke from Ned or the Kerny “boobs” joke. Still funny though. The crash of Barts bike was well done and Hibert was in standard form with awesome Kool and the Gang gag. Homer felt really on even with the screaming at the end. The death of snowball 2 was quick but wasn’t bad. I still cant get over the animation and direction. This is awesome. The lighting in the basement was fantastic. Really no jokes fell flat for me. Some were iffy, but honestly, the first act was great.
    5/5

ACT TWO:
    Bart and Homer on the couch was very good. Liked how they were both in standard, non-idiot form. Liked the basement scene with homer. Lisa getting snowball 3 was ok, but the deaths of it and coltrane wear iffy. The whole robot wars montages were awesome in my opinion. While im not fond of blood, I still loved it. The father/child scenes were badass. JESSICA LOVEJOY!!!! The Ralph robot was awesome too. The Frink bot reminded me of the robot-tv from South Park. But it was still funny with homers day-dream. All in all the homer/bart storyline is great. Im not sure about the lisa/marge part. The fourth cat dying so fast was a little meh, but if they fix it in the third act, it wont matter. Damn I love this episode. (animation is once again immaculate)
    5/5

ACT THREE:
    The gang at the simpsons house was funny. Hissing cats at Lisa was decent. “That’s what we in the business call a BIGGIE” haha. Lisas sadness was done well. The crazy cat lady was great. Good to see Gill back. While im not sure about the reverting back to snowball 2 gag. I think they did it well considering the Skinner plot in the past sucked. But I still think it was done well. Bart finding out about Home-boy was done well considering he still had an appreciation for him. Harry Shearer was great as the announcer. Why have Mel again in the audience??? Homer and Bart being loving again at the end, but still being misfits was great. Awesome episode.
    4/5

all in all I loved it. Second best of the season in my opinion. Just fantastic animation and direction.
    5/5
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

Doesn't Want to Be Here, Apparently

was it good or bad i cannot decide; full review later.

Very Good episode, second only to "Tis the 15th season" as the best of the season

I felt the Snowball subplot was uneeded, and hinting to the Armand Tamzirian Joke was just, just a useless look back into one of the darkest moments in Simpsons' History

I liked the jokes and the animation was Bitchin', i hope it always looks like that

Also, why the hell was maggie in the robot with Homer at the end?

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

What the hell was that?! It had a creative idea and an interesting relationship angle, but it was way to fast paced, barely funny, and the animation continued to make me hate the world. And what the fuck was all that cat dying shit? God, that was awful writing and completely unnecessary. And when Lisa made that meta-ref I yelled at my TV. Seriously. 5/10, C- Worst of the season so far.

I liked it. I didn't read the preview and was shocked when Snowball was run over. 5/5

funny stuff.
    Homer under the sheets instead of the bike. Snowball II being killed, then Snowball III, then the next cat, then Lisa keeping Snowball V and the whole "principal Tamzarian" scene. Robocop homage. Homer's recurring dream.

Frink has a kid? I didn't like Moe's scene or Flander's saying "bitchin' bike" and telling the kids to lighten up.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

pretty rad

Better than last week. Definitely.

While still having some shortcomings (the rushed Snowball opening scene kind of gave the outcome away), it had a good A and B plot, even though the A plot mostly had Homer getting hurt in a cartoonish way (that I didn't really care for). And I will admit to laughing at that Skinner scene, because that was actually pretty good. Plus, the whole family stayed in character... there wasn't even any of that wacky Marge. Step up from that crap that aired a week ago.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

mostly harmless

I thought this episode was mediocre, although enjoyable. A step up from the attrocity that was "Marge vs. ..." which was several steps down from "'Tis the fifteenth season". The directing was great, and the animation was ofcourse fucking amazing.
    3/5

Stonecutter

I like it. The 'Pain Gags' are annoying, and I hate conflicts being spoonfed to me (Homer, you need to keep to robot to keep Bart's respect!) But otherwise, it's good. B/B+, maybe? 4/5 either way.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

Stonecutter

Originally posted by SpongeBob No Pants
    Also, why the hell was maggie in the robot with Homer at the end?
    I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. I assume it was just a background gag put in for anyone who noticed.

Edit: Oops... didn't mean to double post. Sorry 'bout that.

Pin Pal

I liked it, though the cat massacre a little much. I can see the reviews of Flanders already; 'he's out of character!' Forget that it was funny, just be upset that he was out of character that's what's important when watching the Simpsons.

Does anybody know why Maggie all of a sudden poped up in the robot with Homer and then wasn't there when Bart opened the robot?

Also i forgot to post my score in the first post

5/5

pretty rad

Originally posted by blueguy
    Frink has a kid?
    I'm guessing his baby from Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes has grown up?

The Spring in Springfield

Much better than last week's, but thats not saying much. C-. The mentally retarded brother of "Saturdays of Thunder."
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-11-2004 at 06:14 PM.

I think I've ended up saying this every other week, but "I, D'oh-bot" was better than I expected. From the description I thought that it would be a "wacky" Homer escapade; however it was more than that. It had a great emotional undertone with the Homer & Bart relationship. Sure it has been dealt with better in the past, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this episode. Homer battling the robots was actually pretty amusing as well. The Lisa/Snowball II subplot also played out much better than I predicted & I loved Marge's joke about God being a bully. Taken as a whole, I would have to give "I, D'oh-bot" an A-/B+ after my first viewing.

For an episode with so much robot craziness, this was one of the most human Simpsons episodes of the season. The pacing was well-done, so there was a lot of time to focus on the main and subplots appropriately, and also wrap them up nicely. And even though this episode went as far as to play the same montage song as in "Saturdays of Thunder", I'd say this is still a good companion to that episode despite it ripping it off. The Tamzarian acknowledgement in the other storyline didn't bother me either. Neither did the fact that Snowball II actually died. Hmm..it's odd that I'm recognizing the episode's flaws while still being completely positive. I guess it was nice to see Homer act so caring, as well as seeing a more old-school portrayal of Bart, trying to show up the bullies. Marge was nicely characterized too, which is a little more rare these days.

I don't really have much else to say right now, so 4/5. I'll add more later maybe.

Notes:
    - Second appearance of the cat lady this season, and third ever.
    - Did anyone else notice Maggie in the robot with Homer at the end? Was I just seeing things or what?

our backs against the wall

Comixfan how could you actually hate the animation, it was brilliant. Lauren MacMullan is the best director the show has ever seen. Anyway on to the review. I really don't know what to think of this one. I thought it was very funny, but some jokes missed for me. (Flanders for example, and the boobs joke) It was a very creative twist in the Bart, Homer series. But some of it was wasted on "Homer gets hurt" gags that weren't funny and sometimes even gross. (The huge bloody gash in Homer's arm) Also the emotion between the two seemed forced. To be fair though I've never found Homer, Bart relationship episodes to be best in the emotional department. That's what Homer-Lisa episodes are for. And the cats continually dying annoyed me also. Though I liked how they ended it. I'll admit I didn't see it coming. I'll have to watch this one over again, but for right now it's a B-

i didn't expect to like this episode but I did... I was seriously suprised by it. 4/5 at the moment. I need to rewatch to see if I laugh at it as much.
    I'm back.

Junior Camper

I can't believe I'm saying this (because I had such low expectations for this one), but I loved it!

The animation was jaw-droppingly amazing. Probably the best Simpsons episode in terms of animation, so far. There were plenty of laughs, and the story actually worked.

The subplot with Snowball II was a little iffy for me, but the joke with Skinner near the end was hilarious.

The characterization was also very good.

A- or 4/5.

Loved it, and I don't understand how the 15th Season of any show could be this good.

Pasted ->
    You can study the nuances of "The Simpsons" to death - marveling at characterization, satire, great parodies and smart plot turns. But there are episodes that don't need the slightest bit of analysis to enjoy - they feel so good to watch that you don't even want to spoil the secret of why it works so well. Ignorance is bliss with "Simpsons" episodes like this. "I, D'oh-Bot" doesn't boast many of the trademarks of great Simpsons episodes, and it's certainly not the best I've ever seen. But the episode gave me that warm, fuzzy feeling I assosciate with episodes from the golden era - a mysterious, intangible entertainment value. "I D'oh-Bot" let me watch passively and take in the fantastic humor and superb animation in one great package. The plot itself may tread the line of basic plausibility, but it's one of those cases where being a cartoon gives the show the leeway it needs. Lisa's sub-plot was utterly hilarious, using repetition perfectly before a conclusion that gave all us fans a clever in-joke. The only real problems in the episode were a few jokes that didn't work perfectly - but there were never too many, and I never felt overloaded with a stream of jokes. To put it simply, "I, D'ohbot" was a simple flexing of the fingers by the show I love. Effortlessly and inexplicably, the show kept me entertained for half an hour in a way that only it can do. I don't know how a show can put out such a fantastic season in its fifteenth year, but I hope it never ends.

Doesn't Want to Be Here, Apparently

strange episode. I have no idea why but lately the newer eps have felt like seven minute shorts. I can't pinpoint why maybe because as of late The Simpsons has became paper thin. Whatever. The episode was inbetween great and really awful. It was strange...really strange. It was funny but it tried to hard to be satirical (not really satirical but taking jabs at society) The pain jokes were cheap, the shameless meta-reference was stupid but I think thaat there were some very good parts. Sorry for rambling 3/5

Well, not as bad as I hoped. It started out great, with superb animation (gotta love these MacMullan eps - she's really gotta start directing more than two episodes per season) and some pretty good Bart/Milhouse scenes. Nice to see Jimbo, Dolph, and Kearny used this season. I was quite shocked to see that Snowball II really did die - I was kinda hoping for a "she was only stunned" kind of turn. But the Bart/Homer plot kept the story going (with more great animation in the basement) and some fairly funny moments ("I'm ridin' a unicycle with my pants down...this is every boy's dream!"), though the "tools-in-the-forehead" gag was not needed at all. Lisa's montage of new cats seemed pretty weird - in fact, the whole subplot seemed kind of off. But the "Robot Rumble" scenes were well done. For once, I didn't mind Homer injury, since this time it had a good purpose (Homer not wanting to let Bart down - I love episodes where Homer screws up, but his heart's still in the right place) Great touch putting Jessica Lovejoy in as one of the "Robot Rumble" contestants. The ending had some excellent animation, though it did seem a bit weird (although it does seem rather Frink-ian to have a robot that goes along with the Asimov vision). As for the end of Lisa's plot...LAMEST COP-OUT THIS SEASON. My only major beef with the episode. And to top it off, they made the connection to 4F23 "The Principal and the Pauper" - don't they realize why people hate that episode? Oh well, you can't win 'em all. Still an acceptable episode.

3/5 (the subplot really cost it)

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

pretty rad

Hey, you know what? What was the deal with Maggie appearing in the robot with Homer?

a malcolm and a archer

I really do not know what to say about this one. The pace was lightning fast, as the two plots seemed to switch between one scene and another every 5 seconds, especially in the first act, but I'll try to analyze what I know, and leave my opinion open to change.

The fact the the parallels between this and The Principal and the Pauper weren't the worst part of the show just illustrates how strange an outing this was. I'll start out on that subplot, which was one of the most irrelevant ones I've seen. While not the boring, pathetic subplots of Sunday, Cruddy Sunday and Maximum Homerdrive, this was one to forget. You don't get an official Snowball II death, you don't get anything that says she's alive, just a big mess which is worse than each of those two scenarios. The plot, triggered very early in the episode, was something I didn't like, as a relationship between Lisa and the cat, which has remain undeveloped during the series' entire run, was not shown here in any context. The constant deaths of the cats was a pretty stupid way to drag out such a lifeless subplot. Why not just have a relationship developed throughout the episode, and then have the cat die in the end? Wouldn't that make a wee bit more sense? The insane cat woman was back again for some reason, closing the deal on this thing.

As for the main plot, I guess it was ok. The violence here wasn't the Scully type violence either, where it would just happen for no reason. The original bike scenes were pretty good, actually, although they moved at warp speed, like all of the first act. The fight scenes were somewhat interesting, with minor characters included, but there were few scenes where Bart and Homer are together outside of the ring. As a result, no new developments can be made in their relationship, and what was supposed to be an episode based around that turned out to be more of just a father-son adventure. Homer didn't show real care to begin his robot building, which was originally a ploy by Homer to prove Bart wrong about his mechanical work. The final fight was predictable as well.

The humor was sparse, if you even wish to give it that much credit. There were mostly sight gags, and lame ones at that. I guess you were really expectewd to get a kick out of Homer taking a pummeling, but I wasn't laughing too hard. Otherwise, I can spot just a few good one liners: "People never want to outlive their pets" and "Why was I born a dad?" were the two parts that generated a chuckle from me.

So what kept my interest in this one? First off, the direction. Macmullen was excellent once again, as she may have delivered her finest performance, and if not, second best. Also, this episode had just a tad more than the one-dimensional Bart we've seen ever since Season 10. He had little depth, but was slightly more interesting than he has been in recent seasons, and that kept my attention up.

So, what I can make of this episode now is that it was a mostly humorless episode, but not over-the-top in wackiness for the main plot, which is what I'd anticipated. It was fairly meh, however. C

Junior Camper

3/5

New animation is cool, but it's Futurama, not the Simpsons. Like the old animation better.

Hate screaming Homer.

LOL at Bart on 10 speed.

I hate when the Simpsons reference current evens (takes away from the timelessness), but if you're going to do it, at least make it CURRENT events. Fuzzy Zoeller? Did the writers just catch up to the news from 1997? Seriously.

Still better than the crapfest from last week.

And just to double-post, Maggie in the robot I felt was hilarious. That a) Homer could be so absent-minded, and b) that Maggie somehow found her way in there. Was an excellent gag.

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

Originally posted by PsycheEnFuego
    I'm guessing his baby from Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes has grown up?
    'Twas his son.

I'm sure people will complain about Lisa's comment to Skinner, but I thought it was hilarious. Other than the cartoonish ways in which Homer was injured, that was an excellent episode. The animation was excellent and there were several very funny moments. That's really all I have to say .. no lenghty review from me. 4/5

i thought the whole snowball thing was pointless. no jokes, predictable...just was unfunny and added nothing to an episode where the main storyline needed help. and flanders cursing? heresy! the main storyline was too crazy, with bart wanting a bike, ending with homer pretending to be a robot and fighting in battlebots. i only laughed once, and it didn't totally count because i saw the line coming (the "with lots of alcohol" martini line). with all of that said, the animation and direction was amazing and the only good part of the episode. grade: D 1/5

Thread Information