View Poll Results: Rate Dead Putting Society!

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • (5/5) Piece of cake!

94 54.02%
  • (4/5) Oh my God! He's enjoying it!

57 32.76%
  • (3/5) I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves!

20 11.49%
  • (2/5) You're starting to annoy me!

2 1.15%
  • (1/5) All right, knock it off!

1 0.57%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Dead Putting Society (#7F08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Post Rate & Review: Dead Putting Society (#7F08)

SNPP Description: Bart and Todd Flanders enter a miniature golf tournament at Sir Putt-A-Lots. However, Homer and Ned Flanders bet that the father of the boy who does not win mows the neighbor's lawn in their wife's Sunday dress.

Opinion: Although not mentioned much, this episode is truly worth "classic" status because it's just so great. Flanders had SPOT ON characterisation (Getting angry at Homer - but in his mild, Flanderslike way he used to, and regretting it later). His letter he wrote to Homer was just hilarious. Lisa trying to teach Bart philosophical meanings, Homer encouraging Bart, and Bart's response to it was great. Homer constantly teasing Flanders and having to walk around in the dress at the end was just so funny. "Oh my God! He's enjoying it!" Overall, a great episode with satire and hilarity.A++
    Last edited by simplysimpsons; 12-27-2003 at 03:29 PM.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

The Spring in Springfield

Not very memorable but still a great episode. 5/5.

Born To Be Wild!

5/5 great episode

In the field of stupidity. Steve Allen's Avatar

A+, 10/10, 5 stars out of 5. Classic

New sig coming soon. This one's just on for a little while.

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

Great episode, Very very funny. 10/10

Awesome episode! A+

voted for Kodos

Boring Boring BORING! D.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

VERY memorable! I loved this episode. Sure, Homer is an annoying jerk, but this is his character! As above, a great plot, spot-on characterisation and overall, a very funny episode. Not hilariously funny, but "lots of giggling" funny. Great lines, and some more in-depth peeks into Ned Flanders' character.

Stonecutter

Originally posted by squishee lady
    Boring Boring BORING! D.
    Dont see how you could give it D. Anyway, could quite possibly be the best of Season 2 - A+

Godfather's Associate Crazy Leprechaun's Avatar

5/5: One of the funniest from the earlier seasons.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Boring Boring BORING! D.
    Umm...care to explain any other reasons why you think it is worse than other episodes like "It's a mad mad mad mad Marge" and "Tale of two Springfields"?

voted for Kodos

Originally posted by simplysimpsons
    Umm...care to explain any other reasons why you think it is worse than other episodes like "It's a mad mad mad mad Marge" and "Tale of two Springfields"?
    I think the plot is incredibly slow, the animation in painful to watch, and there's nothing particularly funny (IMHO) in the entire episode.

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

I give it a 3/5. It was kind of dull, like a few of the season two episodes, but it was still classic and developed the Ned Flanders character more. Some of it was kind of boring, but there was alot of good parts. I like it.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

9/10. Not perfect, but one of my favourites of the early seasons.

Boring Boring BORING! D.
    Season 2 > you

"A horse is an animate object whose preservation by feeding and watering is necessary to prevent its death."

Junior Camper

I love Season two, and this is one of the best.

A

our backs against the wall

I found Homer to be annoying. It's probably my least liked of Season 2. B-

4/5. My only problem with DPS is maybe the ending...always found the scene with Homer and Ned in dress too sitcom-ish cliche and not Simpson-ish at all...i don't know.
    Not among the best of an outstanding season, but very good.

Crotis Jivefunk

4/5

voted for Kodos

Originally posted by Luke
    9/10. Not perfect, but one of my favourites of the early seasons.

Season 2 > you

probably.

Deutschland Uber Alles!! wee raging wilie's Avatar

4/5 a classic though especially the end when they wear dresses.

Blockoland Owner

3/5

B+ - Very good, but the terrible animation, Jerkass Homer and painful character voices bring it down from being perfect.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

This was THE episode that defined Homer and Ned's rivalry. Very good, though the plot involving the tournament wasn't all that original. Lisa teaching Bart how to play was a great spin on the typical sitcom plot. I don't see how people can fault Homer's characterization here or call him a jerkass; he's angry, in a completely believable way, even if he can't explain why. That's how Homer is.

Hired Goon

As was said, this episode defined the rivalry between Homer and Ned. Some funny moments, like the ending with the two of them mowing each other's lawns in their wives' Sunday dresses. The episode was also dull at points, bringing the grade down. Overall, a good episode but not great. 8/10.

Stonecutter

I'd say it suffers some from being too bland, a little too slow. There's not much else I can fault it for, though. 4/5
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

voted for Kodos

Originally posted by Charmy
    I'd say it suffers some from being too bland, a little too slow. There's not much else I can fault it for, though. 4/5
    Exactly how I feel, but I gues I find those to be greater offences since I rated it much lower.

Grade: A

A very unassuming episode. Behind this relatively simple, conventional plotline, this episode is packed full of many classic and defining moments that guarantees it an A range grade. This is the episode that defines Ned's behavior. He isn't a perfect Christian here because of some mental conditioning for being spanked for a year. He's striving to be the perfect Christian because he wants to be a perfect Christian, he wants to be a good person. And his failures because of Homer's irrational hatred are entertaining for that reason. Speaking of Homer, Mike Scully is right, Homer is not a jerkass in this episode. He is angry, a lot, but even if his behaviors are irrational and he lacks a complete understanding of his anger towards Ned, it is clearly defined that he has an inferiority complex towards Ned because of his successes, and Homer's...lack of successes. Loud anger is part of his character, even if not the sole part. Beyond all that though, This is probably Lisa's peak episode as far as her almost exclusively season 2 (and sometimes season 6) trait of presenting dark observations in regards to her life (It's times like this that I'm thankful Dad has little to no interest in almost everything I do, ...having never received any words of encouragement myself..., Why do I get the feeling that someday I'll be describing this to a psychiatrist). Lisa's also more believable as a Buddhist here than since she's actually converted to Buddhism, and her and Bart's training is, as Mike Scully said, "a great spin on the typical sitcom plot". Consistently funny throughout, with clever references to "Full Metal Jacket" and "The Karate Kid" as well, my only real complaint aside from how ordinary the plot is (on paper anyway) is how it ends, with Bart and Todd's random quitting. I understand what it was trying to do, to contrast their maturity with the childishness of their parents, but I don't think it quite fully works, and comes off a bit anti-climatic. But even then, Homer's twisting of his bet with Ned overcomes that deficiency, and the episode really is just fun to watch.

Doesn't Want to Be Here, Apparently

5/5

This is one of my favorite episodes of all time. What I like best about this episode is that it is so funny, probably the funniest episode of the whole 2nd season. I disagree with anyone who says it is bland.

my only real complaint aside from how ordinary the plot is (on paper anyway) is how it ends, with Bart and Todd's random quitting.
    I agree with this. It is the only fault I have with this episode.

Pin Pal

Eh, not bad, has some great moments, like the British golf announcer and Bart's training like The Karate Kid. Not a drop dead funny one either. I voted 4/5. More like a 7/10 to me.

The "Name Your Club!" part cracks me up every time 5/5

Thread Information