3 2.16%
  • 1/5 Recall!

1 0.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R & R: Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

R & R: Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington

Yes indeed, it's another case of 'Charmy discovers an episode doesn't have a Rate and Review Thread, and takes it upon himself to make one!' So here it is.

I really like this one, and it's a great example of how to do a vacation episode well. Jokes about their surroundings (like the Jefferson Memorial bit) are interwoven nicely into the story rather than being wacky diversions that detract from the episode. And it doesn't degenerate into a 'wacky location based' gag episode like so many vacation episodes do; instead it stuck to it's plot and stuck to it well.

And the satire! Great; they use the opportunity to take as many shots as they can about all aspects of politics; voter guillibility, corruption, and the irony of Congresses 'super-effectiveness' (They bust, expell and jail Senator Bob Arnold in a single day, while refuse raises for themselves). Its even a satire on the golden-rule of tv; everything has to be wrapped up in half an hour, no matter how unbelievable it becomes doing it.

A wonderful episode, really, with great satire and humour throughout. It earns to ol' A+ from me.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

Crotis Jivefunk

It gets my vote. 5/5

in my top 20. 5/5

voted for Kodos

I find it highly overrated. It's an OK story with a few funny moments, but all in all I think it was a little boring. The ending felt incredibly rushed, and the middle incredibly dragged out. Still, theres been alot worse. B-.

B+, 4/5. Good episode. It's got all the makings of a classic. But a bit overrated.

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

Very nice episode, Homer with his reading digest magazine always makes me laugh.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

The episode starts off brilliant with Reading Digest, but finishes poorly with the Bob Arnold fracas, leading to some preachy, moralistic, over-patriotic twaddle with George Bush working for Uncle Sam and his 100 million bosses. Those sappy scenes spoiled the viewing a little, but the Washington DC trip was hilarious, and actually had a reason in the plot.

Very forgettable. But maybe that's just coz it ain't shown much. Either way -meh. 3/5.

About the ending, I have to disagree with seemingly popular opinion here and state that it really seems fairly sarcastic. There was some attempt to undercut the believability of Congress expelling one of its congressmen just on the whim of a little girl losing faith in democracy in a completely honorable fashion. The Representative attempting to tack on a pay increase, George Bush’s "My boss'" comments, and the piano player commenting that it took place in just one day. Even the newspaper headline, "Imprisoned Congressman Becomes Born-Again Christian", seems intentionally a bit over-the-top. A sort of reversal-of-expectations sort of thing.

Anyway, despite the episode leaning a bit on the sappy side (mostly due to Lisa's loss of faith in democracy at act 2's end), the episode is for the most part gold from beginning to end, and deserves an A.

frogophone

Nothing really indicates to me that it's sarcastic, even the "attempt to undercut the believablity" seems more of a self-reference concerning the everything's-back-to-normal standard than sarcasm. If it is sarcasm, it's very vague and unclear, not very effective for me. It's not completely over-the-top with the sap and has some nice offsetting here and there (Jingoism as a category for the essay grading) and has some other sharp satirical moments anyway. All that aside, its standard season three fare- which is to say, unrealistically hilarious with impeccable characterization. A
    Last edited by Tibor; 12-24-2003 at 09:48 PM.

Originally posted by Tibor
    Nothing really indicates to me that it's sarcastic, even the "attempt to undercut the believablity" seems more of a self-reference concerning the everything's-back-to-normal standard than sarcasm. If it is sarcasm, it's very vague and unclear, not very effective for me.
    The ending to me is a cynical political jab as much as it is self-mockery, and I don't see any evidence to indicate the ending to be specifically "just" self-referential humor and nothing more anyway. Whereas I do think it is quite clear that they are taking a jab at the expectations of politicians in general. They are expected to be corrupt, we did (and still do, despite the ratification of the 27th Amendment roughly 8 months later if I'm correct) expect them to greedily tack on pay-raises for their own luxuries. It calls it out, it reminds us of the expected greed in Congress during this wonderfully unbelievable but honorable action of the expelling of Bob Arnold. Same deal with Bush's "My bosses" comment. A reminder of corruption during their honorable actions. Plus, you have the singing satirist's "...She caught a crook and really made him pay. She did it all in just one day. That's what I call, being on the ball". I do think that qualifies as sarcasm.

The effectiveness of it, however, is a whole other issue.

frogophone

Originally posted by Channel Surfer
    I don't see any evidence to indicate the ending to be specifically "just" self-referential humor and nothing more anyway.
    You got a point there.

Originally posted by Channel Surfer
    Whereas I do think it is quite clear that they are taking a jab at the expectations of politicians in general.
    And here.

I suppose it isn't a stretch at all to say that it's a mockery of our post-Watergate jaded expectations of politicians by juxtaposing it with an 8-year old's idealism (and her developing cynicism). Or even mockery of the often slow political process with the exagerated speed of bringing Bob Arnold to justice. The George Bush and "I work for Uncle Sam" moments still remain hazy as to what point they should convey in sarcasm. I still find it to be confused and not especially effective, but many kudos to you for realizing new potential in any episode, Surfer.
    Last edited by Tibor; 12-25-2003 at 12:00 AM.

Hired Goon

The scenes with Lisa being sad are what made it a good episode. They helped us explore Lisa's love for patriotism more. Also, some more good political satire in this one, like taking a stab at politics with the bribery issue.

The trip to Washington was hilarious, great scene with Lisa going to the Jefferson Memorial; "was the Lincoln Memorial full?" Great scene. Also the Washington Monument (*gasp* A sex joke!). The beginning was hilarious with Homer and Reading Digest. A great episode, I didn't find it the least bit boring. It gets a 5/5.

Blockoland Owner

7/10

A+

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

1/5 I find this episode dull and boring.

...I hope nobody throws stones at me... apparently I was the only one to give a review less then 3... I honestly can't sit through this episode.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Stonecutter

The best vacation episode - A-

Pin Pal

Originally posted by McStinkalot
    in my top 20. 5/5
    Same here. The reader's digest thing with Homer was great.

Homer: "I just wanted to say that I love your magazine, that increase your word power section is really.... really... really... good."

wreck on the highway

Originally mind-read by squishee lady
    I find it highly overrated. It's an OK story with a few funny moments, but all in all I think it was a little boring. The ending felt incredibly rushed, and the middle incredibly dragged out. Still, theres been alot worse.
    B

Born To Be Wild!

5/5 Great episode had a lot of great parts.

Area Man

A very good episode indeed. Satirical, interesting, and has great rewatchability value. Good chacterisation and humour as well. And I liked the ending too. Typical Season 3 genius. A+
    Last edited by Starbucks Exec; 01-10-2004 at 11:34 AM.

Pin Pal

A good political satire. While there were some funny parts the episode was not hysterical and it had a weak preachy ending. B

That episode sucked 2/5

Is It About My Cube?

A good episode. 4/5
    Seasons Rankings:

Monorail Conductor

5/5 - USA a.o.k!

I think everyone has already said why they love this ep, but the great quote is:
    Homer: "I just wanted to say that I love your magazine, that increase your word power section is really.... really... really... good."
    Homer: "I call the big one Bitey."

meh

A great episode, not one of the twenty five best, but definately among the fifty best. A+

Mmmmh... sorry, but I don't think is so good. I give it a B. Is my least favourite episode of Season 3, though it's not bad by any means.
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de español (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It´s a 5/5 for me, but probably not in my top ten.

5/5. I agree completely with what Charmy said.

Thread Information