View Poll Results: How would you rate "Today, I Am A Clown?"

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Mazel-tov on a great episode!

68 25.95%
  • 4/5: If I laugh any harder, I'll plotz!

116 44.27%
  • 3/5: I wish that Homer would stop being such a nudnick!

54 20.61%
  • 2/5: And that Krusty, what a meshungina!

13 4.96%
  • 1/5: Oy Vey! That episode made me feel ferklempt!

11 4.20%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Today, I Am A Clown" (FABF01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "Today, I Am A Clown" (FABF01)

From SNPP
    Jackie Mason guest voices as Rabbi Krustofski when Krusty gets ready for the bar Mitzvah he never had, with Homer guest hosting "The Krusty the Clown Show" while Krusty is gone
    As usual, the thread and poll will open once the episode has aired.

5/5

This episode was the best of the season so far

I liked:

Lisa reading from "Simpsons - a complete guide to our favorite family" (best joke of the show)
    Finally a board gag!
    Best couch gag this season
    Homer and santa's little helper's night out
    maggie in the bathroom
    itchy and scratchy
    homer's round table show
    lenny being fired, then barney
    krusty and the network exec crying and hugging
    "i eat legos"
    Homer saving lincoln
    Moe and his calculator words - BOOBS!
    Sign warning: "first 2 rows may get converted"

and there was so much more, i loved every second

i'm gonna watch it again and take it all in a gain to see other stuff i layghed at

oh yeah, was that really Mr. T?
    Last edited by SpongeBob No Pants; 12-07-2003 at 05:34 PM.

This one was up and down. A few failed gags...

I like the Meta reference with the book. nice to see that they have a sense of humor and can poke fun at themselves (the writers). Did anyone notice the product placement (Slim Fast). I didn't like the WolfCastle anti-semmit (sp?) joke. I felt it deminished his character and they could have put some random German/Austrian accented guy, and it would have been more funny. The Krusty cocaine joke was good. I the Grammys/Emmy unite was a nice jab. and I had a slight chuckle at the rules/Stripclub joke..

I thought it ended abruptly but it maintained my attention.

3/5
    Heckling a Puppet show.

Originally posted by SpongeBob No Pants
    oh yeah, was that really Mr. T?
    Yes it was.

pretty rad

This one was... extremely sillyzany for my tastes. Seeing Lisa refer to a COMPLETE GUIDE pretty much ruined it for me. And we really didn't know what was the main point of the episode, because they seemed to shift the focus way too much on Homer at some points.

Otherwise, Jackie Mason was wasted, and Mr. T-- meh. Just didn't care for this one, but good try at least.
    Last edited by Andy; 12-07-2003 at 05:35 PM.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

spleef

4/5

It was really good, but my only problem was they focused on Homer a little too much.

Pin Pal

My funny must be broken.

2/5

A "meh" episode. Had some funny parts, but I really didn't find myself laughing until the 3rd act. 3/5
    Last edited by bauer; 12-07-2003 at 05:42 PM.

5/5. The best episode of Season 15 thus far. It had some great gags and a plot that flowed smoothly. Nice pacing throughout with good use of guess stars (Mr. T still make me laugh and Jackie Mason's Rabbi was terrific once more). The only joke that really bothered me was Lisa reading the "The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Family" book. I hate references like that. Other than that, a terrific episode. It rivals the quality of "Moe Baby Blues," in my opinion.

Judging by the few reviews I see so far, I could be in the minority.

Good ep, 4/5

Is it just me or did the animation on Patty and Selma look...off?

izzocleaves (9:33:27 PM): nothing wrong with spitting on dicks

Enjoyed it. But I found this episode to be nothing special overall. Homer's talkshow did get stupid after a while, though, and I think they spent too much time focusing him rather than Krusty. Loved Lisa and her Complete Guide and also Homer and Lincoln beating the crap out of Lee Harvey Oswald. It had plenty of laughs and certainly was better than the Regina Monolouges and Fat and the Furriest. This makes the season around 4 out of six on the year.

Treehouse of Horror XIV- B
    My Mother the Carjacker- B+
    The President Wore Pearls- A-
    The Regina Monolouges- D-
    The Fat and the Furriest- C-
    Today, I Am A Clown- B+

it was, meh. there were some funny jokes. that 'i pity the fool who didn't bring an envelope to this bar mitzvah' was a terrible, terrible joke and really bad way to end the episode.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Well, instead of an interesting character study between Krusty and his father, we got some wild tangent about Homer and his own TV show with a bad use of guest stars. But most of the gags were great, the supporting characters were used decently, and the meta-refs weren't too bad. This season is not shaping up well. 6/10, C+

Junior Camper

this is a really confusing review for me. i think ill get a better feel for the ep in a couple months. but the first act with three seperate storylines was terrible. they shouldnt have done the dog thing, 1. because we already have an episode about the exact same thing. 2. because it adds another element to the storyline that isnt needed. and 3. because they didnt refer back to it in the end which makes it utterly pointless. i thought it was ok how the dog led Krusty back to his old town, but they either shoulda had the dogs or maggie situation, not both. that is my main flaw with the episode.

i think the parallel storylines with Krusty and Homer would have been great if the would have established both a lot more. krustys story should have gotten much more air time, but i think the Homer part could have worked a lot better than it did.

overall the episode made me laugh and i thought it could have been interesting. ill figure it out on my next viewing.

so far, 6.5/10
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Well lets see...

It was pretty damn funny, so I'll start off with a 5/5
    - However, there was your usual share of missed jokes (minus half a point)
    - And quite a few pointlessly crude, unfunny "shock humor" jokes, and annoying "weird" Marge (minus another half a point)
    - The plot was too fast paced, kind of all over the place, too "outrageous" (Homer becoming famous AGAIN), and there was no real point to anything. (minus 1 point)

So, all in all, it was about a 3/5. Funny, but pretty forgettable episode. This seems to be the "standard" episode style for season 15 - lots of great jokes with an average, but not god-awful plot.

Crotis Jivefunk

Not bad, much better than last week's episode. Al Jean does a good job with returning characters. It was also nice to see Itchy and Scratchy once again, nothing was over the top. The only joke I didn't like was the pig's head on the sandwich. Mousletov! 5/5
    Last edited by Strong Sad; 12-07-2003 at 06:11 PM.

Hired Goon

"Today, I Am A Clown" was a vast improvement over last week's episode, which I found to be shit. The couch gag was good, as usual; one of the best of the season. The first part with the puppies was irrelevant I thought, but it did later tie in with Krusty going back to his Jewish neighborhood, so I won't complain much about that. I liked all the street vendors, especially the one selling DSL internet, that was a funny gag. There were other great gags in this episode as well, i.e. Homer's dream sequence with him saving Lincoln and the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon. I also got a kick out of the writers poking fun at the Fox Reality shows.

I thought Mr. T could have been done without though, although I like the guy, there wasn't any need for him, but he was good in the episode so I guess that should count for something. The good easily outweighed the bad, as there weren't many bad moments. I was hoping the Rabbi would be used more in the episode than he actually was. Overall, funny gags, few complaints, and a solid 9/10 or 4/5.

Originally posted by ComixFan
    Well, instead of an interesting character study between Krusty and his father, we got some wild tangent about Homer and his own TV show with a bad use of guest stars. But most of the gags were great, the supporting characters were used decently, and the meta-refs weren't too bad. This season is not shaping up well. 6/10, C+
    What did you expect. We arent going to get quality character study type episodes anymore, really. This episode wss great. It was funny, not stupid or forced, and it had great use of guest stars. I dont understand how some people are continually bashing this season, when we havent got anything near this quality for seven years.. enjoy it

(this isnt only directed to you comixfan, it was just your post that set me off)

ps.. Ill do my review later.

Oh man, that was QUITE the amusing episode. It was rather disjointed and strayed from the point a couple of times, but most of the gags were spot-on and hilarious, and the guest stars didn't suck! I liked it: 4/5 because at times I got confused at to where they were trying to go with the story.

EDIT: I forgot: I thought that the "tangent" with Homer's show was actually the better of the two storylines. It was really funny, and it was more compelling than Krusty's predicament. I felt like they could have made this into two different episodes, because I would have rather the focus been mainly on Krusty's Bar Mitzvah. By the way, the failed gags were Lisa's complete guide and Rainier Wolfcastle's line... gosh. And the parts with Homer's dream sequences were, I think, the funniest Homer moments all season.

Great improvement over last weeks episode! 4/5
    Last edited by lance; 12-07-2003 at 05:45 PM.

That was a surefire 4/5.
    It felt like an oldie because it handled the double-plot formula very very well. For a plot that was introduced in the second act, Homer's was given plenty of time, with Krusty's story still having room to breathe. Both storylines end very well. Homer's show ends and Simpson life goes back to normal. And Krusty's show, having beaten out Homer's newly reformatted show, is back into popularity. And of course, Krusty gets his Bar Mitzvah done with. I was glad to see they didn't actually try to pull off the ceremony in the wacky show Krusty was broadcasting on TV. I would have liked to see more Rabbi Krustofsky, but that's a personal expectation that I had for no real reason, so I won't hold it against the episode for having so little of him. I mean, it was never their intent to heavily feature him.

Biggest downside of the episode: The introduction involving the puppies was receycling, and provided only a couple laughs. Lisa reading from the Complete Guide will never be funny again in reruns, that is if you found it funny now. So that bit was worthless meta-fare ultimately. The rest was just fine, including plenty of secondary character use (including a great episode-themed Itchy & Scratchy). Second downside: Mr. T. Not only are Mr. T jokes just tired in general, but The Simpsons have done more than enough "pity the fool" jokes to fill a warehouse. So, I barely even smirked at his bits.

All in all though, a well-paced, enjoyable, well-rounded episode. Definitely my fave Joel Cohen episode ever.
    4/5

PS: Let me add that the Homer and Lincoln imagination sequences were hilarious. HILARIOUS.
    Last edited by Tomacco; 12-07-2003 at 05:51 PM.
    Signature.

Mazel tov! ANOTHER winner from Season 15! A very funny opening scene (return of the chalkboard gag! YES!) and I was rolling when Lisa looked up 2F18 in ACGTOFF. I've gotta watch this one again to get all the background signs in the Jewish partof Springfield. Krusty was handled very well in this episode, which was a good idea to begin with, and though I STILL haven't seen 8F05 "Like Father, Like Clown", Rabbi Krustofski still worked for me. The subplot also went well, with some nice lines from Lenny, Carl, Ralph, and Wiggum (along with some hilarious TV industry satire and jabs at FOX). Both of Krusty's bar mitzvah's were great, and I didn't mind Mr. T as much as I'd expected (he actually had some pretty good bits). Altogether, a hilarious Krusty episode with some nice religious humor and social satire. That's six winners in a row this season (up your face, Flaming Homer 89)!

4/5 (will undoubtedly go up once I see 8F05)

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

4/5

Best ep this season.

The Pros:

Lisa using "The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Family" to remember past events.

Usage of guest stars, until the end.

Pacing was just right.

The Vendor with the DSL for sale.

The Cons:

Too much Homer.

Not enough Krusty (This goes w/o saying).

The Anti-Semite joke(worst joke of the ep)

Moe's "Boobs"

The last line was not a good ending line.

Unsure

Rachel Cohen, I missed the intent of that. Was that a plug of one of the writer's relatives?

Someone said this would be like MMTC, and I agree. It did not live up to LFLC, but it was good none the less.
    Last edited by Icedragon; 12-07-2003 at 05:50 PM.

Originally posted by ComixFan
    Further proof that excessive speculation and prediction ruins the episodes for people. Again, nobody ever said the writers intended to make this a Krusty and Father episode. Everyone just read into it toooooo much.

I liked it. There wasn't a whole lot of laugh out loud jokes outside the encyclopedia joke and Ichy and Scratchy, but it did have a steady srtream of workable jokes and not many that failed. Although the ending seemed rushed yet again. 4/5
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

frogophone

Extremely underdeveloped. The one thing that could have made this episode really interesting, the interaction between Krusty and his father, was nowhere to be found. I think Jackie had around three or four lines. The one device that could have made the plot engaging (Krusty goofs off and refuses to take anything seriously, disappointing his father) was basically a throwaway. Krusty's whole plot wasn't developed enough to be interesting or take seriously. Can't really empathize with him when he just wants to have his Bar Mitzah so he can get on the Jewish walk of fame. Any time the episode tried to reach for dramatic involvement pretty much flopped. Homer taking over the TV show had some nice moments and the wrap-up to it was very funny (I wish they didn't play that sad music and try to evoke some kind of reaction though), and it would have been a nice complement to a more involved main plot.

Pacing didn't make things any more interesting, either. The first act 'on ramp' was interesting conceptually, but there's no reason to point it out when you rehash an old plot device. Just do it, if you're going to, having Lisa pull out the complete guide or CBG point it out isn't clever. The rehash wasn't even a big deal really. And Homer taking SLH's wang out on the town fell flat as well. After this kind of rambly first act (which doesn't bother me so much) we have a dry meandering rest of the episode until the only thing that could be described as a conflict was wrapped up in twenty seconds. It seems as if the episode was padded a lot, they even had the full length opening, which is ridiculous since there was such an excellent idea to develop (and we know they're capable) RIGHT THERE.

Some inspired but still uneven humor (Homer's Lincoln daydream is an instant classic) are really all that held up the thin plot which had no excuse for being thin. B-
    Last edited by Tibor; 12-07-2003 at 07:16 PM.

what's an applebees Necromancer's Avatar

3/5, and I'm being generous. The whole crazy televized barmitzvah thing didn't work. There were a few good jokes, but they were mostly countered by equally bad jokes.

i am the killer dressed in pilgrim's clothing.

mostly harmless

I loved it. Some great gags and it flowed nicely. Best episode of the season IMO. 4.5/5

Stonecutter

Not what I expected, but nice anyway. 4/5

The episode had no major problems, and was pretty funny. I liked the 'Simpsons Guidebook' meta-reference, among other things. Homer's subplot was entertaining but lacked any real point; it should either have been developed on or cut buck. I was expecting a character driven Krusty plot, but instead we got a joke fest, which was pretty entertaining (even if I feel cheated by the lack of character). Overall, I think it was pretty good. To repeat myself, 4/5, or a B+.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the couch gag was one of the funniest I've ever seen. I love it.
    Last edited by Charmy; 12-07-2003 at 06:09 PM.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

My favorite of the season so far. 4/5

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Originally posted by used
    What did you expect. We arent going to get quality character study type episodes anymore, really.
    What about "Moe Baby Blues," "Little Girl in the Big Ten," "Special Edna," or "The Dad Who Knew to Little"?

Originally posted by Tomacco
    Further proof that excessive speculation and prediction ruins the episodes for people. Again, nobody ever said the writers intended to make this a Krusty and Father episode. Everyone just read into it toooooo much.
    I haven't made a single post here about this episode, and I didn't even know there was a new episode tonight until I checked a few hours ago to see if Cole had started the thread yet. The only thing I knew about the episode prior to viewing it was that SNPP synopsis says above.

I just would have been nice to have a nice balance between the two story lines (Rabbi Krustofsky disappears for half the episode). Kind of like how "Like Father, Like Clown" satisfyingly combined the Lisa/Bart angles with the Krusty/Father angles.

Thread Information