View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: I can't wait for the sequel featuring Ludacris!

33 12.84%
  • 4/5: That was some high quality bear fighting

79 30.74%
  • 3/5: I've seen better bear fighting

75 29.18%
  • 2/5: Where's the rerun tonight?

47 18.29%
  • 1/5: Maybe "Simpson Safari" wasn't so bad afterall

23 8.95%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Fat And The Furriest" (EABF19)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate and Review: "The Fat And The Furriest" (EABF19)

Tonight we get to view the most anticipated episode of the season ( .. just so no one is confused, I'm being sarcastic).
    From SNPP
    When Homer is attacked by a bear at the city dump, he decides not to get mad, but get even, complete with a "bear-fighting suit"

The poll will open once the episode has aired.

Oh, and no making fun of my lame voting options. You have no idea how long I have been awake.
    Last edited by Cole; 11-30-2003 at 02:43 PM.

That was just painful. I honestly have nothing good to say about the episode. 1/5

Pin Pal

Blecch. 1/5

Junior Camper

wow.... i thought the first act was pretty funny... but the whole bear thing was just.. huh??

it felt like the writers were really searching for a plot idea...
    but i really dont know what to say till i see it again.

right now though, this episode will be forgotten by many... 2/5
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

Junior Camper

I thought it was great. :dunno:
    \m/

The only line that had me rolling on the floor was...

"My dad once beat up 6 employees at a KFC, but he'd been up for 3 days..."

2/5

Lots of interesting Pop and Culture references but some of them seemed forced to me...
    Heckling a Puppet show.

i went into this episode with low expectations and came out with a ton of laughs. i guess i found it more funny than last week's.

spleef

That was the crappiest crap ever crapped in the history of the crappiest craps crapped by crap.

1/5

Pin Pal

I would give it a 2.5/5, but I voted for 2. There really wasn't a lot good with the episode, although I did think there were some inspired moments. SprawlMart, the actual construction of the suit, Maggie after she had ate all the candy, Bart and Lisa fighting in the background. However most of it was just meandering and unfunny. Also, unlike what I thought, there was just a lot of Homer screaming. I have to say that I am deeply disappointed.

Maddog.

Repeated joke count: 3
    It was ok... better than "The Regina Monologues" and "THOHXIV"
    3.5/5

All of The General's signatures are hosted by ImageShack

worst episode this season. 1/5

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Ok, I missed last week's episove, but I've returned. And I've gotta say, what the hell was that?? This wasn't even bad in a "horribly flawed new episode/mike scully syndrome" sort of way, it was just extremely lame! Candy balls? Talking bears? The plot was ridiculously stupid... an entire first act devoted to a ball of candy. An entire 2nd act of people ridiculing Homer for being attacked by a bear. Why would anyone laugh at somebody for being attacked by a bear? And the whole thing with Homer being "friends" with the bear at the end almost had me ready to turn off the TV. I could tell this episode was just strictly for fun, but I honestly felt like I was watching a kids cartoon. Oh, and this brought back bad flashbacks of "The Call of the Simpsons."

2/5.. saved from a 1/5 for a number of good jokes & gags.
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 11-30-2003 at 05:43 PM.

now that surprised me, i was expecting a total stinker, but what we got was a pretty decent episode

the plot was pretty bad, but there were enough jokes to keep the episode going, and the whole bear thing felt rel and not scully bad

4/5

P.S. this continues to be the season of no chalkboard gags - whats up with that?

It wasn't that bad, it wasn't that good. I would say it was the weakest yet this season.. but I have a feeling this might be a guilty pleasure episode... I'm going to have to watch it again. Mixed bag. C

Wallowing in own filth

The bear-fighting suit was a total knockoff of the Canadian documentary "Project Grizzly". http://www.nfb.ca/grizzly/

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

more enjoyable than last week's... several of the gags got at least a chuckle out of me. good stuff. 4/5
    Last edited by eric; 11-30-2003 at 05:47 PM.

Stonecutter

I gives it a C. Despite the horrendous pacing and structure, it tended to be pretty funny.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

mostly harmless

I originally would have gave it a 3/5, but now, after seeing it again and having the gags smeared over my face like the fecal matter they are for a second time, I think this deserves a 2/5. Where's the rerun tonight, indeed.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

"Much Apu About Nothing" - smart satire of second/third acts = "The Fat and the Furriest"

Absolutely hilarious, but extraordinarily stupid. 5/10, C

Stonecutter

Wow.. terrible.. was almost as worse as last weeks episode.

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What the hell was that?! I don't know about you but I expect better. This swirling mass of colors that's supposed to be "intelligent" was stupid and made no sense. I mean WHAT THE FUCK?!

But enough about 2001: A Space Odyssey. After that was over I flipped over to watch the rest of this episode seemed pretty shitty though from what I saw.

(By the way I don't think 2001 was all that bad.)
    Last edited by Magnum; 11-30-2003 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

Pretty weak. 2/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    i turn to phil when in need
    fuck my parents

our backs against the wall

Very meh. The first act was very funny except when Homer started taking care of the candy ball, that was just stupid. The second act wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It offered up some good jokes, but it was meh overall. The third act was by far the worst. The forest, hunter guy (I can't remember his name) was a terrible character. And Homer befriending the bear was terrible. But a some one-liners and some good scenes in the first act save this one from Scully era badness. C, worst of the season so far...

THOH- B-
    Carjacker- B+/A-
    Pearls- B+/A-
    Monologues- C+
    Furriest- C

BTW, next week's episode looks promising

And so ends the EABFxx's. What a long, hilarious production line it's been, and in my honest opinion, this was no exception. This one started funny, especially with Homer's "window" line and Abe as the Sprawlmart greeter. The Kitchen Carnival offered some good visual gags ("only my hairdresser knows for sure"), and the bit with Homer's candy ball was also done well ("I was saving sugar for my wedding night!"). The bear scenes also had their humor, and we had another great visual gag with Homer's "welding mask" bit. The episode got even funnier as they went into the woods (the hunter's myriad uses for dead animals surprisingly never got old) and it wrapped up rather nicely. Though it had a few clunker moments (Homer trying on the tag, for instance) it still held its own - a nice surprise considering the spoilers. I guess this is just living proof that an episode can indeed look lousy on paper and still work out on screen (especially with the awesome animation we had - the VeggieTales ripoff, the mass of oscillating fans, Homer's maniacal laughing silhouette, Homer struggling to get out of his room wearing the suit, etc.) Altogether another fine Season 15 episode. I don't see how anyone can argue at this point that "The Simpsons" hasn't gotten better.

4/5

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

Guy who loses arguments. newhook_1's Avatar

2/5
    There where far too many throw away jokes. The "Branded a coward by the media" thing was just as bad as when the residents of Springfield started thinking the Homer Simpson of OFF, and "Homer Simpson" from "Police Cops" where the same person. Typical season 11 style "Captian Wacky" adventure.

Mike Scully: *Sitting in an ally with other crack addicts, watching this episode on a black and white TV by the light of a burning oil drum* Ha Ha Ha, Homer got electrocuted.... twice! Now that's comedy. *Looks at other bum* You got any speed?

Yes, it was supposed to be a parody of that documentary.

Anyway, it seems that the lower expectations you had going in, the better you thought it was.

I was ready to give it a 4, but you guys convinced me it sucked.

But hey, if you didn't like this ep, I'll spray ink on you.

And that line probably just got as many laughs as it did in the actual airing of the show.

Hired Goon

In the words of Krusty upon watching Worker & Parasite: "What the hell was that?!" My opinions are for the most part the same as the rest of the board so far. Some of the jokes were good, like the KFC line and the Intensive Care Bear. That whole dialogue between Cletus and the hunter (I already forgot his name) was inane and pointless, like 95% of this episode. The plot? There wasn't one. This is the worst episode I've seen since Helter Shelter; neither had a decent plot, but this was funnier, a little funnier anyway. It lacked anything even closely resembling a plot or a point. I hope this is the only stinker of the season. No plot, but some good jokes that saved it from the dreaded "Maybe Simpson Safari wasn't that bad after all" category. I gave it a 2/5 on the poll, but out of 10, I give it a 3. I liked what I saw for next week's episode though, it looks like we'll be able to put this bad one behind us and move on to some more good episodes.
    Last edited by pat; 11-30-2003 at 06:01 PM.

Junior Camper

Homer: Are you a Care Bear?
    Bear: No, I'm a Intensive Care Bear!

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

I would say slightly below 3/5 because for the first time this season I actually laughed at a few jokes. But I'm actually surprised for once the blamming this episode is receiving.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Once again, those from outside this message board enjoyed tonight's episode, from what I've seen, and naturally everyone here hates it. The reason? Casual fans care 80% about humor, 20% about story. NHC cares 70% about story and 30% about humor.

Well, I'm a man of 50/50. Tonight's episode was pretty dang funny if you ask me. The imaginary bears attacking Homer, the Mother's Day gifts, Sprawl-Mart, Lenny & Carl's spots, the hunter's "lunch", etc. genuine laughs. The only jokes that did nothing for me were the three physical ones: red eyes, claw-scratch bleeding, and shocking tag. So, laughs, all's good.

Now, story. Although not as meandering as Joel Cohen's last full episode, this one also had something of the three act differences. Act 1: Mother's Day and Candy Ball, Act 2: Homer against bear, Act 3: Homer saving bear. I didn't like the direction it took in act 3. I wanted to see Homer actually confront the bear and conquer his fears. The story was ridiculous obviously overall. In real life, would anyone actually blame Homer for being scared of a friggin' bear? Act 2 still managed to make the ridiculousness of it interesting though. Too bad Act 3 ended that side of it.

Overall, 3/5.
    Not quite the disaster I was expecting (although I know we'll be hearing endless flak about it on this board for years to come, unfortunately). At least it's out of the way, right?

PS: Don't tell me this was anywhere as bad as "Helter Shelter".
    Signature.

Thread Information