• 1/5 - Blast!

29 9.45%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review EABF22 "The Regina Monologues"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review EABF22 "The Regina Monologues"

Go for it! Sorry for the lateness!
    Signature.

Ok, I as I watching it upon the first airing, I wasn't that impressed. There seemed to be way to many pointless guest stars, Joe Millionaire was not nessecary. J.K. Rowling and Ian Mckellan(spelling?) I didnt find that funny.
    I thought there was some bad characterization on Lisa behalf, unlike last weeks episode. Most of her act in the first segment seemed too...fake remarks. "Mom does soo much for us...." It didn't "feel" like Lisa.
    Some jokes didnt seem to fit on the first airing, but once I watched it again, some seemed to fit right. As I was watching, I thought of the UK viewers and what they were thinking. I doubt I would of liked the Canada episode as much if I wasn't from there.

Overall, there were some bad parts....very bad. But after watching it again, it got more points. Not the greatest episode of the season, but it was tollerable.
    I would give it 3.5/5 Maybe a bit less. I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Mr.Bunny; 11-23-2003 at 05:48 PM.

Hmm... not bad. Not good, for that matter.

The guest stars were pointless (but not annoying- Tony Blair surprised me), and it really wasn't that funny- when it was clear that was what this episode was shooting for. It did entertain me, however. I might have to give it a rewatch before giving a final grade... but for now,

C+
    Last edited by Stackhouse; 11-23-2003 at 05:49 PM.

spleef

Pretty funny. Many many English references and somewhat good usage of guest stars. It ended quickly but having the episode mock the formula for the past vacation episodes makes up for it.

4/5

I liked some of the guests but most of it was bland. Homer was...well he wasn't the Scully era Homer but he wasn't the same Homer we saw last week.

Not good not bad but I hope they improve.

C+

Wow, that was "worst episode ever" caliber. Few laughs and baisically no plot. 1/5.

Smashing good job! This season is just one hit after another. It started out fine, with a nice Burns/Smithers sequence (Smithers' face while helping Burns with the card, Burns being knocked over by the bill). Bart's little museum idea also elicited some laughs, especially the "200th Episode" shirt. Grampa's little subplot, while short, was still a nice little undertone. Once the show got to the UK, however, it really took off. Great satire in the same vein as 2F13 "Bart Vs. Australia", and I felt the guest voices weren't all that bad (Tony Blair was funny, as were J.K. Rowling and Sir Ian McKellen, though I didn't see the need for Evan Mariott). Great trippy scene with Bart and Lisa (if it was a parody, it went over my head), and a briskly funny setup to Homer's trial. Great to hear the return of Bart's cockney accent, Homer's prayer was hilarious, and it all wrapped up very briefly but still humorously. All in all, another fine episode - though I can't wait to hear the riots once it airs across the pond.

4/5

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

8.8/10

After an episode last week that I thought was excellent for its elements, I realized after thinking that I didn't laugh as much as I'd like, thinking it didn't capitalize on the oppurtunity to make it better. As the problem in the later episodes of the series, certain things are missing while other things are correct. While tonight's episode didn't have the creative touch of last week's musical, i thought it filled up well in the hilarity column. It kept the problem of too many guest stars, but I wasn't bothered by it. I actually enjoyed this episode. It might have been my low expectations that made me think it was excellent. All guest stars weren't needed though (none were needed). I'll think of exact jokes upon my second viewing. Last week's episode was better, but this was excellent too.
    Last edited by Mafia; 11-23-2003 at 06:02 PM.
    I'm back.

Hired Goon

I guess it makes more sense to have it in The Voting Booth. I copied and pasted this from the speculation thread, lack of communication.

It was a pretty good episode, except for a few things. I was hoping for the Grampa subplot to be featured a little more than just in the beginning and in the very end, instead it's another wacky vacation episode. Also, the guest stars. Tony Blair's appearance was funny and Sir Ian McKellen's was really good. J.K. Rowling's was useless and could easily have been done without, but I won't complain about that too much. Jane Leeves was very underused, just like the whole subplot with Edwina. But, unlike previous wacky vacation episodes, this was funny, and I really liked the first act, especially the first scene with Mr. Burns getting knocked out by the $1000 bill. The traffic circle scene went on too long I think. So, although annoying in some parts, it was funny in others and it was a pretty good episode. This is gonna be a season to remember, when even the vacation episode is above average to pretty good. Grade: 8/10 or 4/5.

Guy who loses arguments. newhook_1's Avatar

It was very funny, and the shot at Canada was great, I'm not very patriotic so I love when someone disses my country :P . Favorite part of the ep for me was Sir Ian McKellen. The whole thing where he just kept getting shocked and then the bill board fell on him was great (So Bart is really the one who brought balance to the force..... </Star Wars Nerd>). 4/5

while i liked the episode, Tony Blair's spot was pretty dumb. all he talked about was how nice England was. the script was porbably pretty edited for him to do it. that's my only major complaint

i did like how he was also Mr. Bean though.

absolutely horrible. i hated every single second of it, and i didn't laugh once.

my expectations were too high.

Well, I wasn't able to TiVo this episode *menacing glare directed at his Dad and his friggin Sopranos* so I can't rally go back and list the good parts. I remember laughing though. A lot. Couple groans, mainly directed twaord Sir Ian and the wholoe MacBeth bit. Not bad, but HORRIBLE.

(just a heads up, as a Family Guy afficianado I can tell ya some of the Family Guy fans are gonna be pissed about the Trainspotting refernce because it was done in the same context as it was in "Love Thy Trophy". But please people, I'm not up for another long pointless debate on something like this, so let's just leave this as a warning for you to watch out)

Favorite part had to have been Bart and Lisa's sugarbuzz, good stuff, with the bond style ferris wheel and everything. It's quickly fading from memory now.... and damnit, I forgot it. Anyway, good stuff.

3.5/5

JK Rowling sucks.

Junior Camper

wow... i actually thought that episode was fantastic. I loved all the little references. I didnt find the guest stars to be too pointless. I thought the story flowed well, no jerkass homer, and just all-around great satire.

but the best. the BEST part was the Giggs reference (see pic in sig)... i was dying when he said that.
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

Pin Pal

Well, can't say I was too thrilled about this one. It even flirted with KTAAR status at times...

Act 1: A good opening, in fact. The Burns/Smithers section at the beginning was funny enough, and I liked the four-digit-Burns'-age joke. The Museum of Modern Bart scenes were good enough, and I kinda liked Bart going along with giving Marge a vacation, plus the subplot showed some promise with Grampa. Good line: "...turns out, we really WERE being shipped off the next day!" 8/10

Act 2: Whoa, what happened? Suddenly we get thrown a ton of gags, but a great deal of them don't work at all...this includes most of the guest star spots, outside of J.K. Rowling's "Hello, little muggle." What was the deal with the two British gentlemen kissing? Random and unfunny. The whole thing was way over the top, and most gags just fell flat overall. I kinda liked Bart and Lisa's sugar rush, but was that a reference to something? It probably went over my head...anyway, way too wacky. 4.5/5

Act 3: Not really better. The court scene continued the trend of good gags outweighed by bad ones, and the characterization really started to slip here. I got a good laugh out of Bart and Lisa's "elephant butt" dialogue though. Umm...what else was there...more unmemorable stuff, mainly. Homer's speech to the Queen was fairly funny (Canada), and it was kinda funny seeing Abe's daughter, but the whole thing just felt disjointed overall. 5.5/10

Last week's episode was the best I've seen in years, but this one was overall, pretty bad. Few of the gags were really funny, and most bombed hard. It was a very Scullyish episode, with out-of-character OFF, and extremely wacky gags that didn't really work too well. A decent first act saves it from a 2, but I'll have to give it a

C-, 2.5/5

Stonecutter

The episode was great in my book but the scene with the two men kissing had to do with nothing and really hurt the episode in my opinion. A lot of great jokes, and the apperances were pretty fun to watch. 3/5

Anyone noticed that again they go a little overbored with someone saying something in this episode?

Last episode it was Homer, this episode it was Marge. But I found it even more tiresome in this episode...just because it went even longer than Homer.

I didnt have high expectations about this episode. The plot was dumb, the jokes were idiotic, lame and just plain not funny (And I think I counted 4 that were reused from other episodes. Homer crashing into the Queen was horribly unfunny, Bart and Lisa's candy trip was just a rip of of "Boy Scoutz In The Hood", and I think I can add Tony Blair, J.K. Rowling and Ian McKellan to my list of useless guest stars. The ending was stupid and this get my worst rating ever. 1/5.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can buy "Hockey Dad" for Game Cube?

All of The General's signatures are hosted by ImageShack

our backs against the wall

Better than what I thought it would be, but meh it wasn't that great. It had some great moments. The whole first act was excellent, Hockey Dad's had me rolling. When Grandpa introduced his plot, I thought, hey that could be a cool plot, but I was really disappointed. It wasn't even used except for a 30 second bit and the ending. Though Homer's sister was hilarious. Some jokes also fell flat for me. Bart's dream was funny, but Homer's joke kind of killed it. The guest stars were pointless, and surprisingly Blair was the only one I laughed at. And the circle street (sorry I've forgotten the name) gag went on too long. And the two men kissing was terrible, though I saw it coming from a mile away. But there were some nice British poking and some good one-liners about America and England. B-/C+

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

Once again, makes me question if I should continue to watch The Simpsons, for if this is the quality of episodes I can expect to see, they might as well cancel the show. Terrible, terrible, I almost couldn't stay for the whole episode. Alot of re-used predictable old/terrible jokes. And I still say the new animation sucks. The ending was tacky as hell how he avoided punishment. Just blah. I give it a Negative four billion out of five, it was so bad it actually brought down the show. This is the worst episode I've seen since season eleven. Well that's about it, ok I'm done. And I still say the digital animation sucks.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Okay, before I start, let's make sure we all understand and iron out the rules of a vaction episode:
    1. Emotion is virtually unnecessary as these episodes are laugh-based entirely (ex: "Bart vs. Australia", "30 Minutes Over Tokyo", "City of NY vs Homer Simpson", "Itchy and Scratchy Land", and all of them, aside from "Special Edna")
    2. Pacing and continuity still matters. "Kill the Alligator and Run" and "Simpson Safari" were no good because they were far too all-over-the-map.
    3. The family should stay in character, but they don't really have to do much "work" in the episode, since most jokes are based on the family's surroundings.
    4. There should be some concrete conflict on the vacation.

I think that'll do.

Tonight's episode was simple, and it was hilarious. As rule #1 says, this should be a laugh episode, and it was. Parodies of British culture and stereotypes were in force (dry British wit, Brits being gay, Harrod's, round-abouts, etc). British media and icons were there, and then some. From the Trainspotting parody (for those unfamiliar, it was the candy scene), to Dame Edna and Hugh Grant referencing, to plays, to Mary Poppins, to tabloids. Naturally, cameos were there too. All of them worked, minus Evan Marriott, who only had one small line, so I'll forgive that. In terms of the conflict, Homer being arrested will do. They brushed on Marge wanting a trouble-free vacation, which was good too, and the Grampa subplot was bonus I suppose. Basically, as long as it's not something as weird as the family going down an African river and monkey miners vs. Greenpeace, I don't complain much.

So what's left to keep it from perfect score? Well, act 1 I guess. However, act one was hilarious! Mr. Burns, the Hockey Dad game (as a past ref and hockey player, I've seen it all), and the Brazil meta-reference to the controversy after "Blame it On Lisa" it was funny funny stuff. The Bart Museum was the only thing in the episode that didn't work for me. Even the ending didn't bother me. I thought it was a lark.

4.5/5 (0.5 off for the Bart museum)

PS: This season will definitely be changing my grading scale very very soon.

Stonecutter

It ain't that great. It' everything I hate about vacation episodes: a bunch of random sketches about the country they're in with little plot to hold it together. The characterizations (Notably Burns and Lisa) were occassionally weird, and the whole thing didn't seem that funny. Grandpa's subplot was... what subplot? It's barely given enough airtime to form an opinion on.

C
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

Stonecutter

pretty terrible C- or 2/5
    LAST CHARACTER STANDING: VOTE NOW!

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?t=65789

its was a good ep

not the best of this year, i would rank it third, behind carjaker, and pearls

i give it a 4/5, not really because it was a 4 quality, but because i think giving it a 3 is to harsh

i'll have to watch it again to take it all in

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

4/5

Good eps, got a few great laughs, a few groans, but the good parts way outwieghed the bad parts in this one. It helps that I found the ending hilarious

Before anyone asks, no I did not watch this. In fact, its airing right now I think, and I'm no where near the tv. You have no idea how much its killing me to not be watching it, but...its for the best.

Resume reviewing.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Originally posted by Wavy Gravy
    Very nice review! I agree with everything you said.

and the Brazil meta-reference to the controversy after "Blame it On Lisa"
    Haha, cool..how was that?

Pin Pal

I found this episdoe to be very good. I can see where people are coming from when they say that Lisa was a bit off in the first act, but I think that is very minor nitpick to the episode as a whole. I found everyone to be in character. More importantly, this episode was FUNNY. True, the second act was nothing more than a sketch show, but every vacation episode has followed the same basic structure (making many references to their surroundings). The minor nitpicks I would have to give would be the rifles of Homer, the two men kissing, Rowling's appearance, the elves and the horrible ending. Other than that I only have good things to say. 4/5. Read my complete review here.

Maddog.

What bugs me is how all the friggin promo footage wasn't in the episode. It's happened before, but man, that's a lot this time! The Homer giving finger bit, the Virgin Airlines airplane, and I'm not sure I remember the "I've been arrested in 6 continents!" line being in it (maybe I'm wrong about that one?). Also, I read there was a scene where Homer drinks tea with Tony Blair and spills it, like in the promo card.

This is why we need another 138th Episode Spectacular, especially since the DVDs have had no outtakes.

Thread Information