View Poll Results: How would you rate Sweets and Sour Marge?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0/5 Doh!

3 1.74%
  • 1/5 Terrible

12 6.98%
  • 2/5 Fair

14 8.14%
  • 3/5 Average

31 18.02%
  • 4/5 Good

69 40.12%
  • 5/5 Woo-Hoo!

43 25.00%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate Sweets and Sour Marge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

How would you rate Sweets and Sour Marge

In a couple of hrs., Sweets and Sour Marge will air. After the episode, fill out the poll and place your thoughts on the episode here. cya at 8:30 est

if i ever make a another poll on new eps, i'll make them closer to when the episode airs because some people cant wait to vote
    Last edited by Mr. Plow; 01-25-2002 at 02:22 PM.

Some idiot already voted 5/5. . . oh well, let's just all keep our fingers crossed that tonight's episode might actually deserve that rating! I'm glad you started this poll again joshman, I look forward to it every week that a new episode airs. Well, see you all after tonight's episode. Pleasent viewing.

That "idiot" who voted might not actually be an idiot. There are a few people who have already seen it. One guy at this board said he loved it.
    Signature.

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

I'm locking this until 8:00.

Enjoy the episode and post away!

The Boy Who Lived

A solid episode in my opinion boys! Funny in all the right places and the plot didnt go all over the place. Best episode of the season? hmmm...maybe not, but definitely a great episode none the less. Ben Stiller did a pretty good job as guest voice, but he could've done better. And why are the latest episodes having short intros? This episode gets an 8.8/10! EXCELLENT!

Thumbs Up

EXCELLENT episode. Very funny, perfect Simpsonesque story. Also, nice to see homage to Ron Taylor at the end.

"Oh that'll boost sales right up. Why dont I change my name back to Hitler too?"

Adam
    "Welcome to the internet my friend. How may I help you?" "I am interested in upgrading my 28.8 kilobod internet connection to a 1.5 megabit fiber optic T1 line. Will you be able to provide an IP router that's compatible with my token ring ethernet land configuration?" *Long silence...* "Can I have some money now?"

Adam

Best episode of the season! Not quite 5/5 material, but more than enough laughs, best use of minor characters in a very long time, and good flowing plot. I'll have my full review up soon at my site.

My 2 cents

Here's my review.

It was a good plot, although the show wasn't based enough in Marge in my opinion . It had some good funny moments, the Oompa-Loompa was cool. Ben Stiller did a good job as a guest star, voice I mean.

I give it: 4/5

5/5. Best Episode of the Season! (in my opinion). Everything seemed to flow perfectly from scene to scene, there was some great gags and social commentary. One of the best episodes I have seen in quite some time. Congratualtions Al Jean, it looks like the Simpsons may be taking a huge turn in the right direction.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Despite the really retarded human-ball scene, this was a really cool episode.

Good parts:
    --Maggie looking like she's going to kick some ass
    --Garth Motherloving meeting Marge.
    --The Sugar Baron's not getting paid
    --The courtroom scene
    --Gill as a lawyer cleaning the windshield

Grade: A minus and it's the second best of this season.

Jake
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 01-20-2002 at 05:41 PM.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

jesus, c/o the pentagon

I would say this is by far the best episode so far this season. The plot stayed together rather well. I felt like i was watching one episode as opposed to three. I also liked how it focused less on the family itself...there were scenes in the bar, at school...it even had disco stu! I also think homer was more himself than he has been in recent seasons. Early on he a mix, both stupid yet smart...an example would be in maggie makes three, he ripped his hair out in one scene, but he also made a shrine to maggie in his office. That added a more realistic human side to his outrageousness. The last few seasons that was missing. This episode seemed to strike a better balance. In one scene he was licking blood and vapor rub off the floor...pretty damn stupid. Yet he also made some nice erin brockavich puns, something the recent 'stupid homer' would not have even understood. At the end he even chose the right thing, he dumped the sugar, which again illustrates a more classic homer.

All in all it wasnt the best episode ever, or even close. There were some parts i didnt like, the human ball for one, but it was good overall. I would rate it 4/5.
    If rhymes were valiums Id be comfortably numb.

Question

Also, did anyone else notice the "We're gonna smuggle it from south of the border." "You mean Tennessee?!?" Just more fuel to the where is Springfield? fire.

I agree, the human ball was incedibly stupid, but it didn't have a major impact, so it was still a great episode.

comes from circumstances mr. broom's Avatar

Ben Stiller was underused. He wasn't even necessary for the voice, since they gave him at most twelve lines, and short ones. They just had him on to say that they had Ben Stiller on. Guest star management is still as mediocre as it's been in the past couple of seasons.
    The jokes were decent in places, but I thought some were really over the top, especially the references to sugary foods. How many ludicrous sugar products did they mention? Too damn many. That sort of joke is to be used sparingly, but they just kept going. The resolution was weak, too. Just like "The Parent Rap", Judge Snyder declares everything resolved for stupid reasons; the writing staff just can't come up with a funny resolution.
    I laughed quite a bit, but there was a lot I didn't like. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Sorry to keep posting like this, but did anyone else notice that the human ball looked kinda computer animated? maybe I just have an eye for it, or maybe I'm way off.

Junior Camper

Al Jean really hasn't done sh!t for the show, and this episode is all the proof you should need.
    I KNOW all of you would have hated this episode if it was exactly the same but with Mike Scully's name on it.
    AKA "NoOneFamous"

In Rod We Trust.

well written, stupid plot

I thought tonight's episode was very well written for a change, but the plot was stupid! I agree that its jokes were funny in the right places, but why would the writers choose sugar for Marge to get banned? To stay alive and full of energy, everyone's blood needs that sweet sweet sugar....mmmmmmm.....sugar (drools)....uh, anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, stay away from my wife!

Junior Camper

Post Heh...

Well Sweets and Sour Marge was a pretty fine episode. Loved every scene except where Curney dies.. (whatever)
    The rest was Great, and like was mentioned earlier it felt like one episode not three. Yeah the Simpsons are back, expect good things from them for the next season or two *knock on wood*.

Keeping it short..
    4.5 out of 5

Stonecutter

great episode once again by al

if it had more humor definitely a 5/5, but for now 4/5
    Last edited by Mr. Plow; 01-30-2002 at 05:19 PM.

Pretty good. I guess it gets a B+. One thing I really liked was the "Springfield: Birthplace of the Beatles" sign. This episode was really weird to me, what with the Oompa Loompa and Count Fugula, but both were used in great gags.
    This week's Invention Exchange:
    Cake 'N Shake: the cake with a real exotic dancer, all in one box!
    "Now even mom, dad, and the kids can enjoy a Chippendale dancer at little Jimmy's seventh birthday!

Stonecutter

The plot sucked. It was a little funny. The funniest episode of the season but it also may be one of the stupidest.

2.8/5

Pin Pal

This episode was mediocre at best. Overall it was fairly dull and unfunny. Methinks I laughed no more than 5 times (Though I did like the Sugar Baron's contract. ). I've loved Al Jean's stuff up to this point...but...

Sure, there were no homicidal Jockey Trolls, but the Vampire Count came awfully close...

2.5/5
    ***All Hail Al Jean, the Holy One***

Ugh, am I the only one who thought this episode bit the big one? It was nice to see the Simpsons actually get back into a court room, something we haven't really seen since Phil Hartman's passing and the use of old Gil as a lawyer was good, but most of this episode was rubbish, contrived and not even remotely funny. Talk about your stupid plots... worst episode of the season hands down.

Not bad at all.. above average, anyway. Stiller did an excellent job in his guest role and made me laugh a few times. The Sugar Baron reading the contract and not getting paid is definitely the LOL moment which I'll remember from this episode. Some jokes didn't click for me and I also didn't love the Human Ball scene, but the plot was solid and there were so many appearances by minor characters that the good outweighs the bad here.

is back from the dead

Thumbs Down Weak!

I seem like one of the few who really didn't like the episode. It was weak, sparse, and overplotted. The jokes and storyline just flew buy without any impact and the whole plot was too complex for a half-hour episode, especially with so few funny parts. The rolling ball DID look digital, by the way. It had a few funny parts, far and in between (the Ralph scenes, the Erin Brokovich part was mildly funny and so were the hobo lawyers and court trial), but overall, it was just weak and with little impact or humor to my taste.

S.13 OFF +++ APU +++
    NED +++ GIL- f++ n Ips
    $+++ 7F19, 8F03, 8F05,
    8F08, 8F09, 8F11, 8F22,
    9F04, 9F11, 9F14, 9F15, 9F18, 9F22, 1F13, 1F17,
    2F01, 2F06, 3F02, 3F07,FF14, 3F20, 3F22, 3F23,4F06, 4F07, 4F11, 3G01, 4F22, 5F01, 4F24, CABf14, AABF03, 3G04 M1990

Needs more dog.

Other than that, a fair episode. Act one was... meh.. The last two acts were fairly good.

I'll have it online to view on the Sea tomorrow sometime.

(Candy Man? )

God bless that generous candy man.

Yeah yeah, Tennesse is south of Kentucky's border, isn't it? Who cares, I've given up with the "where's springfield" thing.

I can't seem to upload my review, as uzipp is screwed up or somethin, so I'll pu it here if you don't mind:

Best episode of the season so far! Much better than I thought it would be, and featured a lot of things that we've always loved about the show - good plot, great humor, and an incredible use of minor characters (best in years). The only thing that keeps the episode from a 5 was a little too much Homer stupidity, and just a little too much unrealism, but that doesn't ruin the episode at all. In fact, this episode really just got better as it went along, and it actually felt like a long half-hour, which is very rare in recent episodes, when the first act has little to do with the rest of the episode. Carolyn Omine's best work by far (previous episodes: "Little Big Mom", "The Great Money Caper", "Night of the Dolphins" in "THOH XI" and "Wiz Kids" in "THOH XII".

The first act was a little short (so far all Jean's episodes have one very short act), but had major laughs. Dr. Nick was the highlight for me with his research in the medical books - "This is what the inside of a person looks like? It's gross! ..Oh, look! This woman swallowed a baby!". Homer was funny in the library as well, with his line about what the point of buying books is when he won't even take them out for free. The Leonard Nimoy books, shot at Marlon Brando, action sequence with Homer climbing the pyramid (not to mention all the freeze frame characters you can see in there), and the guy jumping from his appartment balcony were all nice touches. Only parts I didn't like were Homer acting like a complete idiot at the Duff Records office, and the unrealism of the human ball.

The second act was the best, moving the plot along well, and using all the minor character appearances. Chief Wiggum, Cletus, Quimby, Disco Stu, Ralph, Frink, Judge Snyder, and especially Gil were used well, plus they introduced Garth Motherloving, who I wish they had used more in the episode. He was like a younger Mr. Burns, which was great, with his "Why don't I just change my name back to Hitler" and his threats to everyone, including the judge, in the courtroom. One thing I can really see them developing is the family using Gil as their lawyer instead of Lionel Hutz from now on. It's great, because we don't see enough Gil as it is, and now that Hutz is gone, they need a good lousy lawyer replacement. One other note, we finally see Cletus' last name (I forget what it was), and it's not Delroy, contrary to what I've heard people saying. I don't really know where they got that from.

The third act was the most action-packed, and had a little more of the weirder stuff in the episode. But it was very funny anyways. The shot at Butterfinger, and Kent naming all the now forbidden candies was good. More minor characters come into play in this act too, like Kent, Count Fudgula, Eddie, Lou, Willie, Skinner, and more of the characters seen in the previous acts. The Erin Brockovich names Homer and the kids were giving Marge was great, and it was good at they used one last one at the end. I loved when they also continued the joke about the Umpalumpa from the second act. For some reason, I thought Homer's "He's freaky" line hilarious. The whole smuggling scheme was funny, even though it was sort of like the Beer Baron stuff from "Homer vs. the 18th Ammendment". Overall, the act had a lot of visual gags, like the whole chase scene with Wiggum and Homer. As for the ending, I swear, if this episode aired in season 12, Homer would have obeyed the bad guy, because every episode last year had a crappy ending. However, this season, every ending has been just fine. Actually, the ending where everyone was playing in the sugar water, while Marge and Homer stood together was like the ending from "El Viaje Mysterioso de Nuestro Jomer", which is fine. The only minor problem I had with the act was Snyder's kind of abrupt decision to end the sugar ban.

Overall, excellent episode all around, and this season is really just getting better from its iffy start. "Jaws Wired Shut" looks sort of bad, but we'll see. BUT, February sweeps looks excellent, so here's hoping for continuing hilarity!

Score: 4 /5
    Last edited by Tomacco; 01-20-2002 at 06:37 PM.

Stonecutter

another great review tomacco. From the previews, Jaws Wired Shut looks stupid. But i laughed my ass off when homer snorted that piece of steak
    Last edited by Mr. Plow; 01-30-2002 at 05:19 PM.

Thread Information