28 9.46%
  • 3/5: So so-so, it's SCARY

93 31.42%
  • 4/5: So pretty good, it's SCARY

131 44.26%
  • 5/5: So excellent, it's SHUT UP YOU STUPID POLL EDITOR

33 11.15%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Treehouse Of Horror XIV" (EABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

spleef

Did anyone else have a problem with some of the voice acting for certain lines?

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

The only redeeming aspect of the penis joke in this episode, was that it came after Frink Sr. was asking if hes still even a man. Frink Jr. replied "of course you are!... except you now have no penis"... which is pretty much the most manly thing you can lose.

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by NoOneFamous
    The only redeeming aspect of the penis joke in this episode, was that it came after Frink Sr. was asking if hes still even a man. Frink Jr. replied "of course you are!... except you now have no penis"... which is pretty much the most manly thing you can lose.
    But even then you could still see it coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

Slack-Jawed Yokel

Frinkenstein was only so-so, in my opinion, but overall the episode was top-notch. Definitely a good way to start off the new season.

Stonecutter

I'm amazed by the reaction to 'Stop the World'. After sleeping on it I decided my grade of C+ was cruel and upgraded it to a B-, I still don't think it's anywhere as good as people say. I should watch it again, maybe it will grow on me. After all, I didn't think 'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky' was great until the second viewing?

Jafar: My main problem with the intro is that I don't like seeing the family killing each other. Strangling Bart is funny because you know Homer doesn't mean much by it, and he certainly doesn't want to kill Bart. Hitting him with a bat(?) isn't funny because he wanted Bart dead. So the family can get hurt in weird ways, such as the inside-out fog, and it by funny, but it isn't they're hurting each other.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

Charmy, when the Griffins kicked the crrap outta each other in Lethal Weapons, it was hilarious. SO why doesn't that translate well to the simpsons, especially for a Halloween ep?

I, myself, have yet to see it. >=(

In Color

Opening 4/5
    Reaper-4/5
    Frinkenstein - 3/5
    Clock - 4.5/5

4/5
    Also, very annoying to have to deal with "That was a Family Guy rip-off!" The whole series Family Guy is a rip off of the simpsons.

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

No, it was influenced by the Simpsons. The style of humor is not close enough to call it a rip off

Stonecutter

Originally posted by Spooner
    Charmy, when the Griffins kicked the crap outta each other in Lethal Weapons, it was hilarious. SO why doesn't that translate well to the simpsons, especially for a Halloween ep?
    Because, quite frankly, the Griffins don't really care about each other. The Simpsons do. It's easy to watch a group of people with no paticular alliegance to each other beat each other up, it's much harder to watch a family that loves each other do it for the sake of cheap laughs.

Just so I don't start another FG/Simpsons, I want to say I know I'm generalizing. The Griffins have shown a few times in the past that they cared about each other. However, it's not shown as often or convincingly in most cases to give you that impression. In fact, a lot of the time they're downright spiteful to each other.

The Spalding Gray of Crap

For the most part your right. But the Griffins weren't created to necessarily get along with each other. That's kind of the joke of their whole relationship. And in the commentary for "Brian Wallows and Peter Swallows", Seth actually jokes about how they were going to implicate "human emotion". It was kind of funny to hear them talk about it, since this particular episode was one of the few that were meant to be taken seriously.

But anyways... Back on topic.

frogophone

Originally posted by Spooner
    Charmy, when the Griffins kicked the crrap outta each other in Lethal Weapons, it was hilarious. SO why doesn't that translate well to the simpsons, especially for a Halloween ep?
    1) You're stating that "the Griffins [kicking] the crrap outta each other in Lethal Weapons" being hilarious is an objective fact. Charmy might not have liked it all. I didn't think it was hilarious, in either instance (EDIT: Charmy already answered as I was typing response)

2) See DtB's comments concerning attachment to the characters.
    Last edited by Tibor; 11-03-2003 at 07:28 PM.

Damn, DTBM, you're stealing my thunder! Heh, you've said everything that I itended to say, but never got around to it.

As for the intro, Homer beating the kids with the bat is where it crossed the line for me. There was just no point. Just because it's a THOH, it doesn't mean the characters have to act out of character for no apparent reason whatsoever.
    Signature.

I dunno. Intentional out-of-character behavior in a couple second Halloween opening really doesn't bother me as much as, say, consistently redefined, annoying characterizations found in lesser "Simpsons" episode that were meant to be their true personalities. Maybe if I was supposed to take this the least bit seriously, I might have been a bit freaked or annoyed. But that wasn't the case here.

My only issue with OFF beating the shit out of one another is that it ran too long, in a rather predictable display of increasingly surreal or gruesome ways to obliterate one another. The Kang and Kodos sequence was a nice twist though, I guess, and at least didn't feel as contrived as their appearances in XII and XIII. Still fairly meh though, and as a whole weaker than any of the segments.
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 11-03-2003 at 10:26 PM.

frogophone

"Can somebody tell me what the hell's going on? Midge, help me out here."

That was my biggest problem with the beginning. Grampa's line was funny though.

It looks like I'm in the minority about Reaper Madness being a great segment. Frinkenstein should have been shortened, and given more time to Reaper.

Originally posted by Tibor
    It looks like I'm in the minority about Reaper Madness being a great segment. Frinkenstein should have been shortened, and given more time to Reaper.
    Well, I'm the minority with you. I thought it was the best segment. Though it was disjointed, yes, and short, whatever, it had nonstop hilarious jokes throughout. It made me laugh out loud the most out of the three segments, and I watch the Simpsons to laugh.

I think the clock stopping one was the best of the three.
    The Reaper had me laughing at moments. Frinkenstein moved to fast for my taste.
    But the clock one had me laughing so hard I was crying. Maybe it was just the mood I was in, but it struck me as hilarious.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

when Lisa smacked Bart on the head with the vase, I must admit I thought "what the...?", but when the fire poker went into Homer's chest, I realised this was some other shit. I actually think its appeal was intended to be because it was disturbing - yet so over-the-top it wasn't TRULY disturbing, just disturbing in its principle. Disturbing in a funny way. If Bart had just stepped on Homer's toe or something causing Homer to beat the kids with a baseball bat before Marge came in and started beating Homer with the bat or something, then yeah, it probably would have disturbed me. But with all the stabbings and fire and shotguns and things, and the family's nonchalant attitude to inflicting violence on each other, it was so clearly out-of-character and over-the-top I don't see how it could have bothered anyone.

Originally posted by Tibor
    "Can somebody tell me what the hell's going on? Midge, help me out here."

That was my biggest problem with the beginning. Grampa's line was funny though.

Hell, why not get rid of Frinkinstien and make both segments longer. I think then both would be better, especally Reaper Madness

voted for Kodos

Originally posted by Icedragon
    Hell, why not get rid of Frinkinstien and make both segments longer. I think then both would be better, especally Reaper Madness
    That's wha I suggested earlier. We don't NEED 3 segments, I much rather see 2 good segments expanded upon instead of having a third crappy one tossed in.

I laughed maybe twice during this episode. Very, very bad episode, even for a Treehouse of Horror. The Death/Bart chase scene was used last season, and I didnt find it funny there. So its even less funny the second time. Marge: Bart, run like the wînd. What kind of weak writing was this? D-

Originally posted by squishee lady
    That's wha I suggested earlier. We don't NEED 3 segments, I much rather see 2 good segments expanded upon instead of having a third crappy one tossed in.
    actually i wouldn't mind seing only one story

i know its become tradition to have 3 segments, but i think it would be neat next year to just see one 22 minute long story

the reason i say this is because the last few years have seen one excellent segment(stop the world...), one that was ok (reaper madness) and one that just sucked (frinkenstien), why not just make the really excellent one the entire show

Junior Camper

I have to give the most abrupt ending in a holloween segment ever award to Reaper Madness. In fact, what I saw in that episode was an idea for a funny episode, but nothing to back it up. They simply ran out in two minutes.

Frinkenstein was about as coherent as a french drama.

And clockstopper was the best of the three.

I say there is a 50% chance this episode is a chilling look at things to come.

The opening segment was a little too violent. Even for a THOH.

Not scary or creepy, just un-Simpsony

Anyone for pennis jokes? I'm David Croket!'s Avatar

Possibly the best THOH since season 9 or 10. "Reaper Madness" was funny , "Stop The World, I Want To Goof Off" was very witty and creative, with a great characterization of Bart and Milhouse. "Frinkenstein" was, err.... a bit dull, it went too long, but Jerry Lewis interpretation was IMO great, especially at the Nobel ceremony when he gets mad and attacks the audience.
    I agree with the good use of guest stars. Yeah, they only said a few lines, but why they've to speak more if it is not necessary?

Good work also by Steven Dean Moore for the great animation and creepy atmosphere he created.

anyone else think that "Stop the world, i want to goof off", is perhaps one of the 10 best THOH segments

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmmm. I don't think so there's alot of good competition.

Blog Entries

Quiet everybody, Friz is talking. He downloaded the episode last night, and has stuff to say...

Intro: Weird to say this least. I was in a state of "why are they doing that?" to "Holy fuck, that's funny!". Grampa's line was classic, as well as both of Marge's. This was a great opening, but it left me feeling a little scared.. but it was Halloween..
    Cut to, the best Kodos and Kang since THOH 9. The christmas decorations were some funny shit. Shame I heard their 'Halloween ep in November' line before then, otherwise that would have made me laugh out so much.

Reaper Madness: Benny Hill always makes me smile, what with me being from Britland. But then... ow. This got boring quite quickly. It was jo=ust jokes repeatedly about Homer being Death. I did like the "My Dad's Job" scene, but it got a little weird after the tramp. Some more stuff happened. Then some beautiful animation on the mountain. Shame the plot got weird.

Boringstein: The less said about this the better. Some cool deaths though. Jerry Lewis was fantastic. No need for that girl from Alias and Mister "I disagree". Moving on..

Stop the World I Want to Goof Off: Umm.. I think it would have been better if Bart had found the watch somewhere, rather than having to order from it. This seemed like something out of season 4/5. But not halloween-y. If there was an episode in season 5 where they told short stories to each other, this would be in it. Stupid Bart to the Future reference.

Aaand we have another mediocre Halloween. Thank you Kodos and Kang for a fantastic appearance. I'm off to put up my Christmas decorations.

Pin Pal

Hahah, I just noticed the many legs of the aliens' stockings! Very clever.

I think the "run like the wind" line by Marge was one the weirdest "jokes" I've ever seen. It just wasn't funny.

Also, from Fox's episode description:
    Finally in “Stop The World, I want to Get Off,” Bart and Milhouse discover a watch that can stop time. They use their new ability to play a variety of pranks on the residents of Springfield. When one of their pranks backfires, Bart and Milhouse find that they are the only two people left on earth and their repair manual is written is German.

Looks like there was a last-minute rewrite to the episode...?

Thread Information