28 9.24%
  • 3/5: So so-so, it's SCARY

94 31.02%
  • 4/5: So pretty good, it's SCARY

132 43.56%
  • 5/5: So excellent, it's SHUT UP YOU STUPID POLL EDITOR

38 12.54%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Treehouse Of Horror XIV" (EABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Secretary of Partying Down

Intro was really funny "Beat the lumps...beat the lumps..." I liked that

1. Jimmy the Squealer not dyinig "If I knew I'd tell you!" that was good...the rest was a FG ripoff with some funny parts....Somewhat Meh...
    TOO MANY topical things (Belishi, Curb Your Enthusiasm)

2. Frink Ep. was not that great...somewhat stupid if you ask me..

3. This one was good. the "clockstoppers" stuff was hilarious. The fingers up noses, etc. was great. And the part w/ Homer and Nelson and the donuts was REALLY funny.
    Also, the old bart and millhouse was funny too. I liked it.

Overall, a bit of a Meh, but not bad. Better than last year's.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Originally posted by MaxpowerAK79
    And the part w/ Homer and Nelson and the donuts was REALLY funny.
    yeah, i forgot to mention that, it was inspired. had me rollin'.

Junior Camper

A good episode after waiting 6 months for it, I gave it a 4/5 over all

First segment, was OK, the weakest of them all, I did not see the Family Guy this is a rip of but it just wasn't that funny. Best part is when Homer kills Patty instead of Marge, but pretty Meh.

Frinkenstein: Was very good but we could have used Jerry when he was a few years younger. He actually brought the segment down and this could have been done beter with Hank doing both voices. Its sad when the impersonator sounds more like the character then the original.
    But You got to love an entire segment devoted to Frink!

Clock Stoppers was classic Simpson's and cartoons in general, quick cuts and funny situations, this had me LOL, The Mayor in the French maid outfit. Plus the end when Bart and Millhouse are grown up. I think that was thrown in there to show what it would be like if Bart did age since the start of the OFF.

Just so you all know, I don't think it was intended to be a Clockstoppers parody, but rather a satire of an old Twilight Zone episode.

I mean, who would want to parody a practically unsuccessful kids movie like Clockstoppers.
    Signature.

yeah, I expect it was just promoted as a Clockstoppers parody as that would capture more viewer attention than a parody of that old show with that creepy guy.

Originally posted by Mohammed Jafar
    yeah, I expect it was just promoted as a Clockstoppers parody as that would capture more viewer attention than a parody of that old show with that creepy guy.
    It was never even promoted that way, I don't think. Seemed like the fans or those who read the script in advance just billed it that way.

Junior Camper

Originally posted by Matty

One thing I would like to point out though, so it will stop once and for all:
    This was NOT A FAMILY GUY RIPOFF

Maybe you should try to expand your cultural knowledge beyond the Family Guy and read the book 'On a Pale Horse' by Pierce Anthony
    That giant print ain't going to convince me buddy. Anyway you slice it, the Family Guy already did this.

Stonecutter

I thought it was pretty good overall a solid 4.

Reaper was pretty cool but I hated two of the opening jokes and I thought it would get worse but it got better. I thought the "wind" joke was terrible and the benny hill thing was not bad I was just a little turned off that they used that again when they just used it last season. 8/10

Frinkenstien-I thought it was ok I like the "Jabba the Butt" joke I particularly don't enjoy Frink's antics but it wasn't that bad 6.5/10

Stop The World I Want To Goof Off- I thought it was pretty damn cool. "Milhouse you got your change purse" "If your a fan of space in the atic" "Batman and Rhoda" Milhouses parents back together, the simpsons hula hooping, "Ok lisa you can stop now"

I mean, who would want to parody a practically unsuccessful kids movie like Clockstoppers.
    Hey,I saw that at the dollar theater.
    LAST CHARACTER STANDING: VOTE NOW!

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?t=65789

Originally posted by Matty

This was NOT A FAMILY GUY RIPOFF
    even though family guy was paradying something else, simpsons shouldn't have done the same parady in almost the exact same way. They could have thought of a better idea for the segment, anyway.

even though family guy was paradying something else, simpsons shouldn't have done the same parady in almost the exact same way. They could have thought of a better idea for the segment, anyway.
    Yeah, but they didn't have a chance of improving it. You can't beat Norm Macdonald as Death.

GREATEST SEGMANT EVER #3 "Stop the world i want to goof off"

#2 reminds me of byebye nerdie where Lisa's bully attacks the NERDS @ the Convention

#1 was kind of funny but to short the jokes where there

The Dictator

I didn't get to write my review last night, so I wont have asmuch to say as I usually would...yea...anyway...
    Intro: 3\5...I liked the Charlie Brown costumes, how Homer's blood splattered on the wall reading Treehouse og Horror XIV, and Kang and Kodos' part in the intro.
    REaper Madness: 2.5\5...Had a few funny parts, some what creative...but I would have to watch the Family Guy episode to determine that, but it also seemed a bit rushed at times.
    FRinkenstein: 1\5...Bad episode, rushed, stupid cameo's, lame jokes, characters just thrown into the episode...it was pretty sad to watch.
    Stop the Clock I want to Goof Off: WAS it necessary that I type the whole titles?....4\5...best of this THOH, original, funnier jokes, and did not seem as rushed. I liked it...good way to end the episode.

I am still optimistic for this season, and can't wait for next weeks episode.

Plus the end when Bart and Millhouse are grown up. I think that was thrown in there to show what it would be like if Bart did age since the start of the OFF.
    never even thought of that, you might be right
    Getting my review in late, my internet wasn't working at all last night.

Intro: Not really any complaints here. The Charlie Brown contumes were pretty cool(have they used Charlie Brown reference at all besides this one and THOH II? cant recall..). The Kang and Kodos bit was real funny, had me lol. I didn't really like, or see the point to them killing each other. B

Reaper Madness: Wasn't the greatest, but did have its moments. The part with Jimmy the Squealer I thought was very good, and how Homer killed all the people in the stands to get better seats. About you people comaplaining about the FG parody, who cares? Simpons has parodied(?) tons of things, as have all shows. B

Frinkenstein: Eh, didn't really enjoy it at all. I thought Frink could have been funnier, and it seemed to drag on too much with no real laugh out loud moments. The guest voices were okay, you have to like anything that lets Jennifer Garner host a Noble Prize ceremony .D+

Stop The World I Want To Goof Off: Now this one I thought was very good and well executed. None of the jokes seemed forced, all put in at the right time. lol naked basketball. The doughnut part with Homer and Nelson was really good. Also liked the ending with them framing Martin.A

Overall, not a bad THOH, although it seemed to be too fast paced at times, like the beginning of Reaper Madness. The amination I thought was very good. Overall:B-
    Last edited by shyner; 11-03-2003 at 08:01 AM.
    Thanks to Monty Burns for the sig

I got here on the 4th page, but i give it 5/5, it's the SIMPSONS!!!!!!!

Pin Pal

Well guys, 'tis the Fifteenth Season, and it's back to reviewing episodes each week.

I think this THOH was rather good as a whole, much better than last year's disappointment and more on par with the solid THOH 12.

Intro: Fairly entertaining, with a good Grandpa line. I thought Homer attacking the kids was a little disturbing, but it was done somewhat tastefully since they were lumps under the rug (and it doesn't look like Homer actually hit them). Marge's line was funny, when it pans out to show her cocking a large rifle, and Kang and Kodos actually contributed some laughs to this episode! (Can't say the same thing about THOH XIII and Gump Roast)

Reaper Madness: The Benny Hill parody felt a little done before, but it was handled well, with Maggie holding a scythe, chasing after Death, and the bicycle. For some reason, I really liked the animation of Death slowly floating towards the camera (Bart's perspective). Lots of good gags in this one (Three Stooges, haha), and Selma being offered up was a nice surprise. Terrific animation here as well, but it could've been longer and done more with its plot...too short. 8.5/10

Frinkenstein: Slow. Not terrible, but rather slow. There was too much...I dunno, dialogue about the plots and not enough jokes mixed in.

"...except, you have no penis. Well, not in the traditional sense."

What is with the writers and the use of the word "penis" in the show!? This started in S13's Homer the Moe and it doesn't look like it'll stop. It's not that it's offensive "in the traditional sense"...I mean, the Simpsons has always had mild swearing and "penis" isn't even a bad word. It is, however, pandering and just in their for shock value. The above line isn't even a JOKE. It's just that they HAD to put in some reference to Frink Sr.'s privates, didn't they? Nonsense, cut that crud out.

Anyway, this segment had some good jokes, but they were too spaced out. They should've taken some time from this one and given it to the other two segments. The science convention felt very remniscent of Bye Bye, Nerdie. 6.5/10

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: Now that's what I'm talking about! Clever premise with great opportunity and funny, rapid-fire jokes. I still think there was some untapped potential here (I was waiting for them to replace Homer's donut with something else, rather than make it disappear), but overall it was great. There really should've been more time to this one as it was entertaining through and through. One more minute of pranks would've been the icing on the cake. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the credits, Al "Scary Names Are Back" Jean. 9/10

King of the Hill was good too...liked it much better than the original Dang Ol' Love. Boomhauer's character was pretty interesting in this one, and it had some funny jokes ("Does this suit smell like embalming fluid to you?"). 4/5

So we're off to a good start with a B+ 4/5 Halloween episode. My Mother the Carjacker looks very good as well. Bring on Season Fifteen!
    Last edited by ShadowBun; 11-03-2003 at 08:32 AM.

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

Originally posted by bbf2
    Yeah, but they didn't have a chance of improving it. You can't beat Norm Macdonald as Death.
    "I'm Colista Flockhart. Who the hell do you think I am, I'm DEATH!"

Norm was great in that episode...

I find it ironic that many Simpson fans bashed FG because it was a "ripoff" of the Simpsons on the FG vs. Simpsons board. Now when the tables have turned, you sing a different tune, saying it is not a FG ripoff. Right, and Peter Griffin being in the crowd of Homer clones is a "homage" to FG...

The Opening: Besides the Kang and Kodos part, the ending was boring and pointless

Reaper Madness: The whole "Benny Hill" running around joke has already been done on the show TWICE!!, so its tired and borring. Homer's dialogue was fake and boring as well.

Frinkenstein: I liked the whole Frink dialogue. The Jennifer Garner role was stupid and non-sensical, just a stupid ploy of putting a trendy hollywood celebrity to boost ratings. Using catchy topics such as Halle Berry's acceptance speech, the hip hop awards and Ned Flanders hate of homosexuality are cheap and will have no effect in a few months when we see the episode in re-runs. Also the use of words like ballsack and penis for shock value is extremely annoying"

Stop the world I want to goof off: I like the "Clockstoppers" esque plot. I thaught the comic books they were looking at were pretty clever. The naked Homer and Nelson bit kinda wierded me out. The Homer line about how he had army men stuck up his nose was a direct copy off of a joke from "Family Guy". And the ending was totally not funny and idiotic.

All in all I give this episode a 2/5. Worst THOH ever!

All of The General's signatures are hosted by ImageShack

In Sane We Trust

The intro was interesting but silly, Kang and Kodos saved it.

I barely laughed during the first act and it barely had an ending.

The second act was better than the first act but it wasn't great. Jerry Lewis didn't need to guest star for it at all, he didn't add anything and wasn't funny. Marge's Hip Hop Award joke was horrendous(enough with the pop culture referrences!).

The Third act pick up a lot of slack for the episode. Good gags and good plot but didn't have anything to do with Halloween.

Overall I'd give it a C.

HAPPY 20th ANNIVERSARY TO THE SIMPSONS!

Originally posted by Icedragon

I find it ironic that many Simpson fans bashed FG because it was a "ripoff" of the Simpsons on the FG vs. Simpsons board.
    FG as a WHOLE SHOW being very much a "ripoff" of The Simpsons. This is a single episode.

Now when the tables have turned, you sing a different tune, saying it is not a FG ripoff.
    It's not a "ripoff" in terms of its concept, it's just a parody of the same thing. It's a ripoff in the way that it follows much the same method in its execution of said parody. But I agree fully, for a show whose showrunner has been bashing FG recently for ripping off their jokes, it's ironic to see them do a storyline so suspiciously similar. Though I did feel Reaper Madness was much better, even though Death Is A Bitch is one of the better FG episodes (which isn't saying much, I know, but whatever).

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Originally posted by Tomacco
    Just so you all know, I don't think it was intended to be a Clockstoppers parody, but rather a satire of an old Twilight Zone episode.

Yeah, I've never even heard of Clockstoppers! Guys, this was clearly a parody of the classic Twilight Zone episode. Why do you think the watch broke? (or did that happen in "Clockstoppers" too?)

Originally posted by Tman
    I got here on the 4th page, but i give it 5/5, it's the SIMPSONS!!!!!!!
    Yeah, because the Simpsons could do 22 minutes of Homer on the toilet and it would still be better than everything else on TV because its THE SIMPSONS!!! right? Come on, dude, I hate reviews like this. If you're going to take the time to post, at least give some reasons for your grade. This goes for everyone that just says "It was great!" or "It was Terrible! Worst episode ever!"

Originally posted by Mohammed Jafar
    FG as a WHOLE SHOW being very much a "ripoff" of The Simpsons. This is a single episode.
    If Family Guy is a ripoff of the Simpsons simply becuase its an animated sitcom about a dysfunctional family with a stupid, fat father, then every single live action sitcom on TV is a ripoff of I Love Lucy. This is a stupid arguement. You might as well say that King of the Hill is a Simpsons ripoff as well, since its an animated sitcom.
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 11-03-2003 at 10:20 AM.

Because of the cult popularity FG has gotten recently, I predict that this is not the last time a Simpsons episode will have a similar episode storyline to a FG that was earlier.

I think "Reaper Madness" was a statement that the writers tried to make that they were better than FG's writers, and they thought that this would show that the Simpsons can do a better Spoof than FG. I think they were mistaken this round.

I think Death is a Bitch is better than Reaper Madness for a couple reasons:

FG used an enitre episode, while Simpsons used 8 minutes. If the Simpsons had done this one segment as an entire episode, that would be better. I thought death just coming for Bart was not that great of an opening for "Reaper Madness". FG had a better opening, and Death coming for Peter could be explained (why did Death come for Bart? Who knows).

Repition of jokes in "Reaper Madness". The Benny Hill bit was done a couple of times last season. That is never good. That shows that the writers are not trying and becoming repetitive. It never helps with a great episode, I think it always hinders.

Originally posted by NoOneFamous

If Family Guy is a ripoff of the Simpsons simply becuase its an animated sitcom about a dysfunctional family with a stupid, fat father, then every single live action sitcom on TV is a ripoff of I Love Lucy. This is a stupid arguement. You might as well say that King of the Hill is a Simpsons ripoff as well, since its an animated sitcom.
    first of all, quit trying to be a smartass. it's not working very well.

second of all, i wasn't claiming myself it was a ripoff, which is why i put it in speech marks. that argument, as you said, is stupid. There's a difference between "rip-off" and "influenced by".

third of all, i wouldn't say the dysfunctional family setup was what FG "ripped off" from the Simpsons, as you said it's a sitcom standard, but their approach to humor, plus much of Peter's characterisation, and much of their particular take on the dysfunctional family setup, was definitely DERIVED from stuff on The Simpsons, if not blatantly ripped off. But it's not as if the entire show is a Simpsons derivative, as many detractors make it out to be. And yes, KOTH is influenced by The Simpsons also, much of its approach to humor is derived at least in part from early and O&W Simpsons. But again, it's hardly identical to OFF - KOTH has very individual characters who are completely different from OFF, however, and the dynamic of the characters is very different too.

True. Nobody can argue that FG wasn't influenced by the Simpsons. Hell, Seth MacFarlane said it was.

Junior Camper

LOL

Originally posted by shyner
    never even thought of that, you might be right
    Getting my review in late, my internet wasn't working at all last night.

Intro: Not really any complaints here. The Charlie Brown contumes were pretty cool(have they used Charlie Brown reference at all besides this one and THOH II? cant recall..). The Kang and Kodos bit was real funny, had me lol. I didn't really like, or see the point to them killing each other. B

Reaper Madness: Wasn't the greatest, but did have its moments. The part with Jimmy the Squealer I thought was very good, and how Homer killed all the people in the stands to get better seats. About you people comaplaining about the FG parody, who cares? Simpons has parodied(?) tons of things, as have all shows. B

Frinkenstein: Eh, didn't really enjoy it at all. I thought Frink could have been funnier, and it seemed to drag on too much with no real laugh out loud moments. The guest voices were okay, you have to like anything that lets Jennifer Garner host a Noble Prize ceremony .D+

Stop The World I Want To Goof Off: Now this one I thought was very good and well executed. None of the jokes seemed forced, all put in at the right time. lol naked basketball. The doughnut part with Homer and Nelson was really good. Also liked the ending with them framing Martin.A

Overall, not a bad THOH, although it seemed to be too fast paced at times, like the beginning of Reaper Madness. The amination I thought was very good. Overall:B-
    To answer your question about Charlie Brown references, there have been many made on the Simpsons. But if you are asking particularly about THOHs, then there are two except for this one: THOH II (where the peanuts gang are outside trick-or-treating) and the end of THOH IV is exactly like the end of a Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown (complete w/ SLH as snoopy!!)

Also, to go back to what someone else posted, the fact that it took 15 years for Bart and Milhouse to fix the watch could indeed be a reference to the fifteenth season. I never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing that out!

a malcolm and a archer

I did not read through the entire thread so I don't know if this has all been said or not.
    I taped this episode and got around to watching it for the first time around 10:30 last night. I watched it once more this afternoone for good measure. I actually enjoyed it more the second time.

The Opening: Well, this needed work to say the least. One of those just a bunch of stuff that happened things, but luckily, this only lasted for acouple minutes. The Peanuts spoof was clever, and the Kang and Kodos moment was genius, but little else was offered, and it wasn't creative on the whole. C

Reaper Madness: Well, I was disappointed the first time watching this but I noticed some good things the second time. The story was developed pretty early on, and would have been even better if not for another one of those Benny Hill scenes. You could see Homer's character fit well with the character of death, and there were plenty of amusing jokes to keep the viewer entertained. My main gripe was the last few minutes. The main conflict was recognized and resolved all within about 2 minutes, with a wasted chance for emotion and a very abrupt ending. I really liked the animation in this one, especially Homer's hand changing from normal to skeleton, and Marge's name bulging on his hit list, showing some good emphasis. B/B+

Frinkenstein: I've seen worse shorts, but not many, as this was pretty terrible. It was a disturbingly unfunny Frankenstein spoof, gone terribly wrong. There were many groan-inducing jokes. The ending was one of the worst things I've ever seen, with no real feeling or emotion. Frankenstein's story is supposed to be more solemn than it was here, as we saw only needless gore from Frink Sr. Frink's feelings were never expressed well, and we never see any reaction from him after the monster runs away. Frink's decision to reanimate his father was ridiculous (his invention eliminates the annoying task of putting down a hammer and picking up a screwdriver) and written conveniently to make it seem like the plot flow was ok. The only real laugh I got from this short was the flaskback. D

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: What can I say? This was excellent. One of the best shorts in a while. I laughed long after watching the episode at the many humorous moments, and great minor character use. Bart and Milhouse's characterization was very good, and once again, animation was excellent. There was little horror involved, but it was so entertaining that it wasn't a problem at all. A

Overall, this was a bit of a mixed bag, with a few more ups than downs. I was pleased overall, and thought this was the best THOH in the last few years. I was most impressed with the excellent animation, which is a good sign going inot the new season. My final grade is a B-.
    Last edited by Dondelinger; 11-03-2003 at 11:59 AM.

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who here thought the music and imagery in Reaper Madness was quite stunning? By imagery I mean Homer casting a dark shadow as he becomes death and carrying Marges supposed corpse up the mountain to God.

That's also a good theory on Springfield being frozen in time for fifteen years as being a metaphor.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

Stonecutter

"Reaper Madness" - 3/5 An ok first act but thoughts of FG kept clogging my mind. The chase sequence between the light of God was hilarious. The Benny Hill thing has been done before so it wasn't very funny this time around.

"Frinkenstein" - 2/5 very dissapointing and all 3 guest voices were wasted.

"Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off" - 4/5 Funniest of the 3. Best scene of the episode was when Bart and Milhouse used the clock stopper on Homer when he was eating donuts. I laughed my ass off when that happend.

Overall a 3/5, so the episode was so so. Not bad considering this is the 15th season.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

FG used an enitre episode, while Simpsons used 8 minutes.
    What the hell does that mean?! Is Space Jam better than the Merry Melodies shorts because it's longer?

If the Simpsons had done this one segment as an entire episode, that would be better.
    What? How many Simpsons episodes have you seen? That would make no sense on a logical, reality-based cartoon. A full "Reaper Madness" would sink into "Saddlesore Galactica" and "Simpson Safari" territory.

huh?

Best THOH in several years. Breaking it down:
    Intro: Too much senseless violence, but saved by Kang & Kodos.3.5/5
    Reaper Madness: Best short of the episode. Chase scene was hilarious. 4.5/5
    Frinkinstein: Meh. Had high hopes for this one, but while Lewis was good in it, it struggled with Lisa pushing the plotline forward too much, and with a pointless cameo with Garner. 3/5
    Stop the World...: Very good, especially with the Nelson/Homer scene. De La Hoya was also pointless, but his only line was pretty funny. 4/5
    Overall:4/5

Junior Camper

Opening:B
    Reaper Madness:A
    Frinkenstein:B
    Stop The World, I want to goof Off: A-
    Overall:B+

Thread Information