28 9.24%
  • 3/5: So so-so, it's SCARY

94 31.02%
  • 4/5: So pretty good, it's SCARY

132 43.56%
  • 5/5: So excellent, it's SHUT UP YOU STUPID POLL EDITOR

38 12.54%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Treehouse Of Horror XIV" (EABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I HAVE RETURNED - and oh yeah, episode's good

Well, I have to start out by saying that this THoH is certainly better than the ones in previous years. Although I still disaprove of practically useless cameos (Oscar De La Hoya? Nah...though Garner and that one scientist together made me laugh), there were actually some good jokes for once, including some of Bart and Milhouse's pranks and Grandpa's "I'm still cold" bit at the beginning. Nothing really turned me off from this episode, and I did like some of the jokes this time around, so...3/5. Still room for improvement, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Any else feel like the slight continuity between two of the segments (Homer wishing he was still Death) was odd? I certainly wasn't expecting it.
    This week's Invention Exchange:
    Cake 'N Shake: the cake with a real exotic dancer, all in one box!
    "Now even mom, dad, and the kids can enjoy a Chippendale dancer at little Jimmy's seventh birthday!

Junior Camper

As someone who has been optimistic in the past, this was one of the worst stinkers I've seen. I'm quickly realizing that their tendancy to replace actual comedy with gratuitous violence is not a temporary adjustment. Homer becoming death? Wow, I've never seen that before...except for the Family Guy and most likely shows before that. Was there a reason to reuse the Benny Hill chase sequence after less than a year? The last segment made it at least watchable, but at least with the THOH episodes, violence has become their main focus. I can watch...well...Fox if I wanted that. But I want smart comedy, damnit.

freedom. silence. always.

Somewhat decent. I thought Reaper Madness was too short. Frinkenstein had some good moments. Stop the World was kind of lame.

Gotta love a show that lets Jennifer Garner co-host the Nobel Peace Prize awards.

3/5

I've waited six long months for this. Six long, lonely months whiling away the time, anticipating the start of Season 15. And I must say, I was not disappointed tonight! This was one of the funniest THOHs I've seen in years. I do agree with Jonah that the segments got better as they went. The opening sequence was kinda random (reminded me of the "Family Guy" sequence where the Griffins beat each other up) but still good, especially Kang and Kodos' bit. "Reaper Madness" seemed awfully short but had some pretty good lines ("We don't want any", "I'm too old and rich for this", etc.) "Frinkenstein" was incredibly funny, and I must say Jerry Lewis was quite possibly the best choice for guest voice "The Simpsons" has made in years. But "Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off" was the cream of the crop, and I can't believe FOX didn't feature it in any promotions. This was the funniest Bart/Milhouse plot I've seen in I don't know how long ("I'm gonna play naked basketball!""No you're not"). And the best part of the episode - HALLOWEEN CREDITS ARE BACK! I was rolling when I saw "Produced by Everybody Loves Mike Scully". All in all, a very well-done (albeit belated) Halloween special - and with any luck, next year's THOHXV ought to air on October 31!

4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
    Fuck typos Im drunhk.
    My DeviantArt.

Pin Pal

For me, this was easily the best THOH in the last four years. Opening segment was good and set the mood. Reaper Madness was an alright segment, some good jokes, and the ending was very well done (God chasing Homer). Frinkenstein I thought was the weakest segment. It just seemed to run on too long for my tastes. I liked the Jennifer Garner and the other guy bit...yes it was pointless, but it was funny. Stop... was the best segment of the bunch, almost near perfection in my eyes except for the ending which seemed to just end abruptly. That being said, I would rate this a 3.5/5 which I round down to a three to vote in the poll. An alright episode, better than the THOH in the past few years, but not great.

Maddog.

voted for Kodos

I definatly felt like all of the segments were rushed, I would rather have just seen two (preferably "Reeper Madness" and "Stop the world...") and have them expanded on. The only stuff I really laughed at was some segments during "reeper Madness" and the part in Frinkenstien that referred to "RM". Still, even though it wasn't ROTFL tye of funny, "Stop the World" was extremly clever.

Intro: Missed it
    Reaper Madness: B
    Frinkenstein: C
    Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: B+
    Overall: B-

Great Episode. I can't wait for this season. 4/5
    I love you, baby.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Originally posted by used
    no, i remember kent brokmen said penis once, to prove that his newscast was live
    Also, at the end of "Barting Over": "Possible side-effects: loss of scalp and penis."

spleef

It was better than last years, but it really seemed like they didn't bother trying this year.

Opening was ok.

Reaper was somewhat good, although a Family Guy ripoff with a painfully bad cut-off ending. And was that an Akira reference?

Frinkenstein was the longest, or felt like the longest, and Jerry Lewis got annoying when his lines ended being a variation on "With the _________, and the _____, and the ____ _____ _____".

Goof Off was the funniest.

And I know this may start a controversy, but did any one else not only have problems with the lines, but with the way they were delivered?

Many of the lines could be summed up as the following:
    "Pop culture reference?"
    "WACKY PUNCHLINE!"
    Last edited by Moose of Doom!; 11-02-2003 at 06:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Also, is anyone else with many in thinking that next week's ep looks like it's going to be great? Very stoked for next sunday.

Stonecutter

D'oh! Didn't notice this thread so I posted my review somewhere else. Oh well. I copied it and put it here.

Rest assured, in minutes I was on the internet regestering my disgust with the world!

I'm just joking. I just always wanted to say that.

The opening scene was pretty much an excuse to watch the Simpsons beat each other up. Not very entertaining. Kang and Kodos had another tacked on appearance, but it was actually pretty good, quite possibly saving the opening. Still, watch for those loveable space freaks to be cut in syndication.

The critics were right, Reaper Madness was the best. It beats my predicted rating of B- and earns a B+. It had some failed jokes, but it managed to be pretty funny. The plot was nicely done most of the time, and it was much less 'wacky antics' than I expected (although there were still quite a few). It was also the creepiest of the three.

Frinkenstein failed to live up to my expectations. It didn't capture the creepy feel I was hoping for at all. The conflict was set up decently but took up too much screentime. There was never a reason given for Frink Sr.'s murderous rampage, and it was done too ridiculously. It also had more failed jokes than Reaper Madness and the final scene was completely pointless: It wasn't funny and added nothing to the story. Still, it was decent. B-, which is a lot less than my predicted A.

Stop The World I Want to Goof Off was pretty meh. It was fun watching Bart and Milhouse pull pranks, but the segment got pretty pointless after that stopped. The 'After-Prank' scenes weren't all that funny, and the final scene was even more pointless than Frinkenstein's finale. It get's a C+.

Overall it was a marked improvement over the last years THoH, and possibly the best in years, but nothing special. Gone are the days when THoH's were in the top five of the season, and managed to give off a creepy, distinctly Halloweeny feel. Still, the new ones are good for a few laughs. Looks like that's all were getting for a while.

Official THoH XIV Rating: B

One last note: Anyone get a chuckle at the 'Everybody Loves Mike Scully' Halloween credit?
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

Junior Camper

"except you have no penis."
    i don't want to start any discussions, but that's the worst line in the show. wtd?

Junior Camper

Anyone notice how Bart became 10 again with Lisa clicking the watch? Also thought it was funny how Homer referenced the first act in the second.

To tell you the truth, my biggest problem was that I didn't laugh enough, and groaned a couple times. For example, I knew a Curb Your Enthusiam line was coming a mile away.
    Signature.

The best THOH in years. I had a good feeling about this one and was pleased with the results. We've been waiting for a good THOH for along time, and we got one. You know it's gonna be good when the scary names return.

"Reaper Madness": Very good! Loved the Three Stooges gag. I figured it'd be a FG rip-off when I saw the promo, but I quickly forgot about it.

"Frinkenstein": Meh. It could have been done a lot better. No real laughs, and some of them made me cringe. But Lewis' performance is fine, and saves it from being a total trainwreck. Homer's comment about being in the last segment was pretty bad.

"Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off": The high point of the episode. Very funny and very clever.

4/5

Reaper Madness: parts of it were funny; the ending was terrible (Except the motorcycle chase)

Frinkinstein: some more funny stuff (frink's dad, homer's reference to the last episode, BALSAC!). not even a bad ending

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: Very funny episode, especially Martin getting beat up.

Overall, if the rest of the season is like this episode... they're back!

voted for Kodos

Originally posted by Tomacco
    To tell you the truth, my biggest problem was that I didn't laugh enough, and groaned a couple times. For example, I knew a Curb Your Enthusiam line was coming a mile away.
    My feelings exactly. I did however just remember that I laughed out loud during the Homer/Nelson Moment in "Stop the world..." so I guess there WAS some LOL humor in that one.

The 3010th on named Bartman Bartman3010's Avatar

Nice episode. Better than last years, but not by much...

Looking foward to the next episode.
    - Sean

I really should visit here more often...

slouching toward nirvana nathan's Avatar

One of my favorite THOH intros. "Puny humans do they know there having a halloween special in novemember?"
    As far as the skits go Reaper Madness was pretty meh, Frinkinstein was god awfull and Stop the World, I want to Goof Off was amazing plain and simple. Although the first 2 segments (especially the second)really lacked they did have some fairly memorable quotes. All in all it was a decent episode, about the same as last years THOH (only minus a great cameo)

Intro-9/10
    Reaper Madness - 6/10
    Frinkinstein - 4/10
    Stop the World, I want to Goof Off - 10/10

Overall - 7/10

it is ok, to much hype, not enough stuff.

Originally posted by squishee lady
    My feelings exactly. I did however just remember that I laughed out loud during the Homer/Nelson Moment in "Stop the world..." so I guess there WAS some LOL humor in that one.
    Agreed. Best part of the episode.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Edit: What was the deal with the naked traffic cop?
    It was in Sweden, right? Sweden is stereotypiclaly associated with nude, hot blonde girls, and in Europe, public nudity is OK.

Many of the lines could be summed up as the following:
    "Pop culture reference?"
    "WACKY PUNCHLINE!"
    My thoughts exactly. Like I said in my review, I hate when they load episodes with this kind of dialogue. It just gives the episode a very throw-away, SNL-ish humor feel to it. Why can't they just work on memnorable lines instead of throwaway "zing!" one-liners?

our backs against the wall

Intro: Loved the Costumes, and I loved the Kang and Kudos bit. But I found it pretty disturbing for Homer to be beating up his kids, Halloween episode or not. B

Reaper Madness: Yeah it was an obvious rip-off of Family Guy, but the Simpsons still did it well and it made me laugh, so I was fine with it. I loved the ending also with Homer killing Patty and running from God. B

Frinkenstein: Ok I'll start with the positives. I liked the flashbacks and I liked the body part swapping, but other than that this segment wasn't very good. I wondered early on how they were going to fit all that information into an 8 minute short, and I was right to be concerned. Very clunky dialogue and unfunny jokes. C-

Stop the World...- Best segment, awesome. They took an idea that's been done millions of times and they made it funny. Bravo John. Nearly all of the pranks were hilarious and the jokes were good too (the exception would be Milhouse's naked basketball line, but that's just one joke) A

OVERALL: B-/B... One of the better THOH's of the double-digit seasons. Definately better than last years, and better than the year before that.

Hard to judge the season based on this episode. Since it is quite understandable that the short amount of time to explain the stories, amount of ideas that have already been used, and the fact that many of the writers dread the episode makes it an already bad experience. However the overall presentation of the episode and the jokes is a good sign of this season. Each segment ended "too soon" but at least there were fewer "cringe jokes" that in recent years. Only in the Frink's segment fell under the lines of a joke unsaid, is better than a bad one.

Junior Camper

LOL

I've got to disagree with most of the people on here. I thought that tonight's THOH was one of the best in years. The opening sequence was hilarious and the nod to Peanuts always wins my approval (I'm a huge Peanuts fan and, in fact, am wearing a "Speak Softly and Carry a Beagle" t-shirt). Anyway, I guess my ratings would be:

Opening sequence: 5/5 Loved the line "I'm still cold" from Abe. Classic Simpsons.

Reaper Madness: 5/5 Although I expected this one to fall short of my expectations, I found it to be much funnier than the FG ep and had some classic Simpsons moments. I particularly loved the fact that "Marge" was Patty with Marge's hair attached! Great first act.

Frinkenstein: 3/5 This was the weakest act, IMHO, and Jerry Lewis did not salvage it. Some funny parts tho, like Frink's dad taking people's organs. I also enjoyed the continuity w/ Homer (a rare thing on the show nowadays). I actually didn't mind the use of Jennifer Garner. I thought they used her well and the other scientist was hilarious (I disagree.)

STWIWTGO: 5/5 A fantastic ending segment. Lots of great parts in this: Homer at the Power Plant (and Nelson naked!), the hilarious 70s comics, and I personally really liked the ending w/Lisa changing the family into different characters. Kind of a nod to older THOHs and I appreciate that.

All in all, a 4.5/5. This was a great episode with classic Simpsons appeal and if this is the way the season is progressing, I'm sure to enjoy it more than I have these past few years (tho last season wasn't that terrible).

Everyone I've spoken to about the episode, friends and people at other non-Simpsons boards, were unimpressed with this episode, unfortunately. In retrospect, it did kind of seem like that was a chore of an episode. Nothing seemed really inspired or brilliant. I'll elaborate later on.

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

Reaper ended abruptly, Frink went on a little too long, Goof Off was greatness.

4/5 for Goof Off, which was the only good story. Other two, 2/5.
    yep.

it felt "forced" and "rushed"... with that said... I really enjoyed the entire segment 3 that was a parody of The Twilight Zone, "A Kind of Stop-Watch"...
    Heckling a Puppet show.

Stonecutter

Wow.. that fucking sucked.

hmm... i thought clockstoppers was the worst of the three when i watched it, then i came on here and everyone thought it was the best one. this will require a repeated viewing. but, at face value, my scores are:

Reaper Madness: 8/10
    Frinkenstein: 8/10
    Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: 7/10

Overall: 8/10 ; 4/5 ; B+

Thread Information