28 9.24%
  • 3/5: So so-so, it's SCARY

94 31.02%
  • 4/5: So pretty good, it's SCARY

132 43.56%
  • 5/5: So excellent, it's SHUT UP YOU STUPID POLL EDITOR

38 12.54%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Treehouse Of Horror XIV" (EABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Opening: I liked it very much, although I think they went a bit too far with all the violence. 4/5, still.

Reaper Madness: I thought this was pretty good, and I think it was done better than the Family Guy episode 'Death is a Bitch', although they are both very similair. 4/5.

Frinkenstein: This was the weakest out of the three segments, I didn't think it was that great. 2/5.

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off One of the best THOH segments there has been for a while, although this didn't really have a Halloween feel to it. Loved the ending.

Total: 4/5. The best Halloween episode there has been for the past couple of seasons, although it still didn't seem very Halloweeny.

If you missed the episode, it's airing November 18th (or is it 19th?) at 8:30pm again.
    Signature.

Originally posted by Charmy
    That's not quite what I was asking. What was so bad about the jokes/writing? Saying something without backing it up with an argument doesn't get you much credibility in these parts.
    I dont know how I can back it up. The writing was just horrible. Tell me what WAS funny then. I just think it sucked. End of my story.

It was better than many of the recent simpsons of the last 4 years. But other than that I beleive that there have been at least 9 other Treehouse of Horror eps that have been better. I guess its just like the rest of the simpsons these days, it just cant compare to the 90s.

I liked it the best of the 3 is when Bart stopped time

BE GOOD

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

It wasn't a bad effort. I was interested to see how a Halloween episode would turn out, written by one person only. Surprisingly the quality wasn't consistent throughout. While there were no "terrible" segments, Frinkenstein was decidedly weak. The other two, Reaper Madness and Stop The World, I Want To Goof Off were stronger, but not any of the best segments. Frankly, Send In The Clones from last year was better than those two put together. That said, it was good, and unlike last year's episode, there were NO terrible segments. Just Frinkenstein could have been a WHOLE lot better.
    Good to see the scary names back again, mind you.

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

Opening: I loved this opening I couldn't stop laughing, It was very violent but I thought it wa brilliant. 9/10

Reaper Madness: Great gags. 8/10

Frinkenstein: Probably my least favourite of the bunch but I still found it to be quite entertaining. 7/10

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: Hilarious, I loved this one mainly because I've always wanted to stop time and do whatever I want. 10/10

Total: 8/10, One of the best Treehouse of Horrors in recent years.

In the field of stupidity. Steve Allen's Avatar

Opening: Let's just say, 9/10.

Reaper Madness: Homer as the Grim can have some funny side-effects, 8.5/10

Frinkenstein: More like Freakenstein, 6/10

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: My favourite because time-stopping is what I would like! 10/10

Total/Average: 8/10 (B+)

New sig coming soon. This one's just on for a little while.

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

Reaper Madness: Fairly good. Standard expectations. 7/10

Frinkenstein: Worst segment, but I like that Prof. Frink got his own story. 5.5/10

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: Time-stopping is always cool, I didn't like Quimby's costume change or the resolution though. 8/10

Total: 6.5/10 (C+)
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Been a while but I liked it fairly well. Probably the last one where I was fine with all three segments. High 3/5.

By far the best Horror Show of the post-classic era. Very good first and third act, even the second isn't bad. 16/20.

Season Rankings : 7 > 5 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 9 > 3 > 2 > 10 > 15 > 16 > 1 > 11 > 14 > 12 > 20 > 18 > 17 > 19 > 13.

Reaper Madness: B+
    Frinkenstein: C
    Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: B-

Overall: B-

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay, so starting today I've decided to rewatch all of season 15. Don't know how long it'll take, but I got started with this episode just now.

Intro: Charlie Brown costume was a nice touch, but aside from that the entire segment felt unnecessary. Kang and Kodos were the best part. Very nice green and red coloring on their ship btw, nice attention to detail going on there.

Reaper Madness: I have a confession to make here: I have always LOVED this segment. I can never remember which halloween episode it is in though, so I was thrilled to see it pop up here. Now before I review it I have to admit that this is basically a retelling of that one Family Guy episode in 6 minutes or so. However, I actually liked the story better here. We start strong with a great Benny Hill gag. After that, the jokes about Homer being death come quickly and often. Jasper's death in partiular had me laughing. We get a nice little segment with God and an alright, if not really funny, ending scene involving the whole family. Solid 4/5

Frinkenstein: So the show finally got Jerry Lewis and he doesn't dissapoint. I have to admit that I thought this segment went on a little too long, but it had a pretty large number of laugh out loud moments. My favorite was Flanders seeing Confucius in heaven, but I also really liked Skinner and his mother. Another great line that I must mention was Homer's reference to the previous segment. So yeah, an alright story with some pretty good jokes that went on a little too long. Still, a solid 3/5

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: This is yet another Twilight Zone parody isn't it? I havn't seen that episode, but this was pretty damn funny. A simplistic but interesting story with several great gags, this was probably the best of the three segments just beating out the first. The best joke of the night was Homer and Nelson at the plant. I also enjoyed Comic Book Guy and his lightsaber, as well as using Martin as the fallguy. Milhouse in particular had several good jokes/lines here including his gummi worm addiction, desire to play basketball naked, and hollow way of getting his parents back together. The ending was admittedly weak, but a very good segment overall. Solid 4/5

Overall, this treehouse of horror was pretty good, and better than many others both before it and yet to come. 4/5
    Last edited by Oh, that's raspberry!; 05-05-2011 at 01:25 PM.

I must say - the segment where Homer kills Death must be one of my favorite Halloween episodes!
    The rest of the episode is... Ok, but the first segment plus the fight on the begining are the best parts.

Blog Entries

Reaper Madness: A+
    Frinkenstein: F
    Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off One- B
    Overall: C

Frinkenstein is the worst segment of THOH in history!

Trying to nap Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reaper Madness: A
    Frinkenstein: F
    Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: B
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

well...i have now seen member after member stating that season 15 is better than 10-12. so, i'm now going back and re-watching some of it's episodes. first up, Treehouse of Horror XIV. i watched this when it aired, but had not seen it since. until now.

the opening scene was decent, but pretty gruesome. i liked dan's reading of "beat the lumps, beat the lumps."

reaper madness: a decent segment but not really any laughs. it was a good idea, however, i liked when family guy did it. you know, Death Is a Bitch (that's actually a pretty great episode). i give it a C+.

frinkenstein: i could barely get myself through this garbage of a segment. so dull and boring. i give it an F.

stop the world, i want to goof off: i have to say this was my favourite segment of the three. i liked the "why is Bart so tall, and shaggy? just one of life's mysteries." line. plus this segment had my favourite part of the episode. yes grampa while frozen in time. i give it a B-.

so all segments added up, i give this episode a C.

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reaper Madness - 8.4/10
    Frinkenstein - 6.2/10
    Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off - 9.2/10

Overall: 7.9/10 or 3.95/5 rounded to a 4. Very enjoyable post-classic THOH episode
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Seems I already voted on this one, can't recall what I gave it but having rewatched this one yesterday, I give it a 3/5

Intro - a ton of mindless violence, a few bits are funny but overall its more "so disturbing its awkward" than it is "so disturbing its good". 2/5

Reaper Madness - I love this segment. I typically rewatch this segment and the third segment, but not the episode as a whole. It's a fun premise that seemed very original for a THOH. The idea alone of "Homer is death" leads to a lot of funny gags, but there is also a decent story behind it all too. God chasing Homer was pretty funny. Overall, 4/5 by modern standards

Frinkenstein - I recall being excited for this one when it was announced. The title is clever, the idea of Frink creating a monster could have lead to a good segment, and Jerry Lewis playing Frinks father was a great idea! Sadly, this one just ended up being pretty boring. I didn't feel anything for Frink. His dad was inconsistant as the monster. First he's normal, then he's killing, then he's normal, then he's killing. Their hearts were in the right place, but the execution was poor. 2/5

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off - I love this one. Great animation tricks, lots of funny Bart and Milhouse moments. Sometimes all they need for a good THOH segment is introducing a new skill/ability for a character and rolling with it. Bart can freeze time lead to a lot of funny stuff, just as "Homer is death" did. 4/5

Overall, however, I think the opening and Frinkenstein really bring this one down. It's one of those THOH episodes where select segments are better than the whole episode. 3/5
    UP AND ATOM!

I love the opening. Reaper Madness: This is okay. It's not great, and not terrible. 5/10 Frinkenstein: I don't get what is so bad about this segment. It's certainly not the best, but it is enjoyable enough. 5/10 Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: This one is my favourite of the episode. 6/10 Overall: 5/10

Blog Entries

Haha this is a pretty solid Jean-era THOH.

Opening - Meh. Little too gruesome and weird. ("Homie I disagree with your approach to the children.") Then, boom, motherfucking shotgun to the face. I usually like odd humor but this was just... I don't know. 2/5.

Reaper Madness - Funny most of the way through. Best part is definitely the God motorcycle chase scene. 4/5.

Frinkenstein - I don't see the hate here. Plenty of great jokes throughout. The highlight is probably "Oh, I've waited so long to hear you say that... What does it mean, is it dirty?" 4/5.

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off
    - People apparently like this segment the most but it's my least-favorite. Still some laughs, but it has a lot of cheap gags and the ending is awfully rushed. 3/5.

So yeah, surprisingly good show, and arguably the last good one. I give it a 3.5/5, rounded out to a solid 4/5 on the poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by JESUS CHRIST 22
    dont bother saying how i spelt changed as chenged thats how its spelt in heaven
    Season 26 Ratings:
    ----

4 > 5 > 6 > 2 > 7 > 8 > 3 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 12 > 11 > 15 > 20 > 14 > 13 > 18 > 16 > 19 > 17 > 21 = 22 = 23 = 24 = 25

Stonecutter Homer the Stonecutter's Avatar

Opening: It wasent great but it wasent terrible either.

Reaper Madness: Extremely funny segment. One of the best post-classic thoh segments. Grade: A

Frinkenstien: Meh, it wasent horrible but it was very dull at parts. Grade: C+

Stop The World I Want To Goof Off: Very funny aswell, it itsint as funny as Reaper Madness but still very good. Grade: A-

Probably my favorite post-classic thoh episode. Grade: B
    My quest to rewatch, grade and review all episodes of The Simpsons:
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...Reviews-Reborn

Thats sad. Even the Treehouse Of Horror isnt anymore funny. This season it was boooring. Last season it was ok, but lets say 7 of 10 points. The season before again booring.
    It was always Treehouse Of Horror, that could save the season. But it isnt anymore. But i dont give up.

Blog Entries

reaper madness is my favorite and has the most laughs, such as homer's way of tricking God, or even the "Run like the wind" mess up line at the start.

frinkenstein, i have little memory of, but i remember disliking it.

the third segment i liked but it didn't really feel like a Halloween story.

4/5 for the first, 2/5 for second, 3/5 for third.

Blog Entries

I actually don't think THOH segments need to feel like Halloween. They should just ignore reality and have an eerie feeling.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Elliot74

Blog Entries

i guess they don't need to feel Halloween related, but it does help me get in the spirit and enjoy more. how am i supposed to enjoy a Halloween special if one of the segments is parodying Avatar, or Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Blog Entries

I just don't find it a big deal. King Kong isn't Halloween either. Neither is Homer going into three dimensions.

Blog Entries

King Homer is honestly one of my least-favorite segments regardless of what is being parodied and Homer 3 is OK. it's not Halloween really but it does have a semi-eerie vibe, like you said up above.

Blog Entries

I think Stop the World I Want to Goof Off also has an eerie vibe. Imagine freezing time, getting to do whatever you want, only to realize that you're stuck like that.

Blog Entries

i may need to rewatch that segment, see if my opinion on it changes. it's honestly been a little while since i saw the episode

Thread Information