28 9.24%
  • 3/5: So so-so, it's SCARY

94 31.02%
  • 4/5: So pretty good, it's SCARY

132 43.56%
  • 5/5: So excellent, it's SHUT UP YOU STUPID POLL EDITOR

38 12.54%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Treehouse Of Horror XIV" (EABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

decent

B (8.5)

Nothin' wrong with that!

Opening: 5/5
    Very funny opening, especially the Kang and Kodos bit. I found that part extra-funny because earlier that day, my mother put up the Christmas decorations and we were making fun of her for doing it so early.

Reaper Madness: 3.5/5
    It was an ok part, but the segment where he has to kill Marge and up until the Motorcycle chase, seemed a bit odd.

Frinkistein: 2/5
    I didn't really like this one. Prof. Frink isn't that good of a character to devote even 8 minutes of an episode to him.

Stop The World, I Want To Goof Off: 4.5/5
    Pretty good segment, although the ending seemed a bit weird for me.

Originally posted by Mohammed Jafar
    [B]

hey, people complaining about the intro, stop saying things like "for no reason" and "unexplained" and "violence". It was supposed to be like that, so what you're saying hardly amounts to criticism.

"Simpsons Safari" is supposed to be wacky and crazy but that doesn't neccasarily means that it worked. A lot of people don't like excessive violence on the show (including THOH for some) and personally I found a couple things in that intro to be more disturbing then funny myself. Also, as for "no reason", I think that argument mostly comes down to some of the jokes not even really making sense as fully coherent jokes. This isn't related to the intro, but why did the writers think Lisa switching the clock around (yes, for "no reason") and turning the family into different random versions of themselves would be funny at all?

As for the "Clockstoppers" thing, I don't think it was a Clockstoppers parody, but I actually have to disagree with it being a Twilight Zone parody as well. I've seen that episode, and the only thing remotely similar, other then the basic concept of stopping time with a watch (which is just a basic sci-fi concept that's been in everything, including "Ducktales" for godsakes) is the watch breaking. If it was intended as a parody, it wasn't a very good one.

Anyways, the more I look back at this one, the more I think it might be one of the most forgettable episodes ever. I told a couple friends of mine (one of which loves nearly every episode but asked me "what the hell was that?") today that it was one of the most uneven episodes I've ever seen. I told them it wasn't really good or even bad, just there. It certainly wasn't "Simpsons Safari" bad or even bad at all neccasarily. But, unlike the very good or very bad episodes that are commonly referenced for those reasons, I think this one may go the way of "Bart vs. Lisa and the Third Grade" and some of the less offensive Scully "Adventures of Homer" episodes. Doomed to obscurity.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

our backs against the wall

THOH's in general over the past few year's have been pretty forgettable, and I was thinking this after watching it. There's never a really true standout short. Many of you will argue that "Stop the World..." would be the standout short, but IMO falls short of classic segments of recent THOH. (Send in the Clones, House of Whacks). Now yes I know in my review it says "A" next to it. I've rewatched the episode and realized that I may have been a little too excited and I really wanted the episode to be good. New rankings...

Intro- C
    Reaper- B-
    Frinkensteirn- C-
    Stop the World...- A-/B+

OVERALL: B- (very low B-)

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Originally posted by DotheBartman
    "Simpsons Safari" is supposed to be wacky and crazy but that doesn't neccasarily means that it worked.
    Not my point at all. My point was, many criticisms seemed to give me the impression that viewers thought it was intended to be a touching, realistic family moment.

And I thought it was amusing, and I didn't find it in the slighest bit disturbing because, as I said, it was intended to be crazy, over the-top, out-of-character craziness, and it worked as that. Unless you just get disturbed at the sight of ANY cartoon character being subjected to violence....

This isn't related to the intro, but why did the writers think Lisa switching the clock around (yes, for "no reason") and turning the family into different random versions of themselves would be funny at all?
    for the same reason they thought having inside-out gas seep in and turning the family inside out and having them do a dance number was funny in TOH 5, or have the story suddenly stop for a Peanuts parody in TOH 4. Because it's krayzee. The only thing wrong with it was that you didn't find it funny, there wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with the execution, it's been done so many times in TOHs (and in normal episodes) over the years.

As for the "Clockstoppers" thing, I don't think it was a Clockstoppers parody, but I actually have to disagree with it being a Twilight Zone parody as well. I've seen that episode, and the only thing remotely similar, other then the basic concept of stopping time with a watch (which is just a basic sci-fi concept that's been in everything, including "Ducktales" for godsakes) is the watch breaking. If it was intended as a parody, it wasn't a very good one.
    Nah, I don't think it was intended as a parody per se, just a utilisation of the same concept.
    Last edited by prince jafar allah; 11-03-2003 at 03:05 PM.

it's got to be hard to come up with three brand new halloween concepts every year, anyways, so parodies/rip-offs/utilizations are bound to pop up.

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

Next year better have a parody of the "Ring"

The Spring in Springfield

Intro: 5/5. I thought it was a really good way to start the show.
    Reaper Madness: 2/5. The fact that it was a blatant rip off of the Family Guy episode "Death is a Bitch" gives it a 1/5. But it was pretty funny, but really short so I'll raise it to 2/5.
    Frinkenstein: 2/5. Pretty boring and not very funny. Jennifer Garner was pointless but she didn't bother me much. I just didn't find this segment funny.
    Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: 4/5. The best segment. Really interesting plot and I thought it was really funny. Oscar Delahoya was another pointless guest star but it didn't bother me that much. I don't see why they have to actually get these actors to come on the show. Are their voices really that hard to do?
    Overall: 3/5. Better than last year's.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-03-2003 at 03:27 PM.

Jafar: Good points there. Regarding the family beating each other up, I guess I'm not entirely sure why I thought it was so disturbing, given that this IS a THOH, but somehow I just did. Partially, I do somehow become more disturbed by family members dying or getting seriously hurt then I do with minor characters. I'm not really sure what it is, but somehow Homer getting his guts blown out somehow doesn't work the same with me as Willie getting the axe or even Moe hanging himself or Lenny and Carl getting crushed by a helicopter. It might be that I've made more of an attachment to OFF then to the minor characters, so somehow it bugs me to see them seriously hurt like that, even if its in a THOH context.

Regarding the clock switching, another good point. But I think my basic point is that I was wondering why that thought that specific craziness was funny. The random crazy stuff doesn't seem to be a major strength for the writers right now, which may be why the THOHs have been so consistantly on the mediocre (or worse) side for a while now.

My comments on the "Family Guy" arguments: (not adressed specifically to Jafar or anyone else, just my two cents on the discussion in general) Again, I will repeat what I said earlier. I don't think Reaper Madness was neccasarily a "Family Guy" rip off, maybe just more of a "been there, done that" situation where another comedy show happens to have parodied the same basic thing in recent years. However, I really did find the execution to be very FGish. Honestly, that isn't just for Reaper Madness and its odd similarities, as it is for the episode as a whole. I really felt like I was watching FG with yellow skin. All the random shit that we're supposed to laugh at simply because its random shit, the basic pacing and "plot" development. Again, I realize this is THOH, but it really didn't feel like a THOH as much as it did a FG episode to me. Notice that Family Guy is even being mentioned in other contexts (someone pointed out a "Frinkenstein" gag that was apparently ripped from FG in their eyes, and Wavy Gravy even compared the opening to a specific FG scene).

frogophone

Not my point at all. My point was, many criticisms seemed to give me the impression that viewers thought it was intended to be a touching, realistic family moment.

And I thought it was amusing, and I didn't find it in the slighest bit disturbing because, as I said, it was intended to be crazy, over the-top, out-of-character craziness, and it worked as that. Unless you just get disturbed at the sight of ANY cartoon character being subjected to violence....
    I can see it catching some off guard. It did start out as a realistic family moment (like the opening to THOH II) and then the family abruptly breaks into violence. My complaint is that it's weird, (not in the way that inside-out-fog is weird) that I was expecting a point to it, and it felt as if I had missed something.

I thought it was pretty good, clock stoppers was the best one out of them all
    "Hmmm says here it will take 8 hours..... 15 years later.."
    And another funny part was when Homer walked down killing everybody, and then that guy put up his arm, and Homer couldent poke him, so he just slaps him.

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

My comments on the "Family Guy" arguments: (not adressed specifically to Jafar or anyone else, just my two cents on the discussion in general) Again, I will repeat what I said earlier. I don't think Reaper Madness was neccasarily a "Family Guy" rip off, maybe just more of a "been there, done that" situation where another comedy show happens to have parodied the same basic thing in recent years. However, I really did find the execution to be very FGish. Honestly, that isn't just for Reaper Madness and its odd similarities, as it is for the episode as a whole. I really felt like I was watching FG with yellow skin. All the random shit that we're supposed to laugh at simply because its random shit, the basic pacing and "plot" development. Again, I realize this is THOH, but it really didn't feel like a THOH as much as it did a FG episode to me. Notice that Family Guy is even being mentioned in other contexts (someone pointed out a "Frinkenstein" gag that was apparently ripped from FG in their eyes, and Wavy Gravy even compared the opening to a specific FG scene).
    I will state my prediction again, We will see more simialrities to FG this and next season. Anyway, I heard Matt Groening does not mind FG, do the other writers like loath it or what?

Originally posted by Tibor
    I can see it catching some off guard. It did start out as a realistic family moment (like the opening to THOH II) and then the family abruptly breaks into violence. My complaint is that it's weird, (not in the way that inside-out-fog is weird) that I was expecting a point to it, and it felt as if I had missed something.
    Exactly. It just somehow didn't even make sense comedically. I was wondering what they were even trying to get at in terms of humor.

Jafar: Good points there. Regarding the family beating each other up, I guess I'm not entirely sure why I thought it was so disturbing, given that this IS a THOH, but somehow I just did. Partially, I do somehow become more disturbed by family members dying or getting seriously hurt then I do with minor characters. I'm not really sure what it is, but somehow Homer getting his guts blown out somehow doesn't work the same with me as Willie getting the axe or even Moe hanging himself or Lenny and Carl getting crushed by a helicopter. It might be that I've made more of an attachment to OFF then to the minor characters, so somehow it bugs me to see them seriously hurt like that, even if its in a THOH context.
    true, but i think the family turning outside in, doing a dance routine in which blood splatters everywhere, and Bart being mauled by SLH is, in principle, at least as potentially disturbing as last night's intro. how did you find that?

The random crazy stuff doesn't seem to be a major strength for the writers right now, which may be why the THOHs have been so consistantly on the mediocre (or worse) side for a while now.
    true.

This is what I'm gonna say about SImpsoins copying FG and possible future copying of Family Guy:

I don't really care, just as long as it's funny.

Junior Camper

I rewatched it today. It still sucked.

Intro - 3/5. The costumes were cute (though I didn't understand why Lisa's candy would have been so much better than the stuff Bart got). Also, I think the Kang and Kodos bit was the highlight of the episode. The thing about it being November (more proof that the writers can read my mind) and the alien foot christmas stockings were extremely nice details.
    The violence - eh. Senseless or not, it just wasn't funny, creepy, imaginative, or anything really.

Reaper Madness - 2/5
    The Benny Hill thing made me think...if they are already trying to take up time now, this doesn't bode well for the episode.
    I loved the title and was hoping for a "marijuana hysteria" spoof.
    Margie's hair on the Patty/Selma corpse was the only funny thing in this section. Umm, perhaps this is pedantic/unnecessary, but wouldn't the Grip Reaper be immortal? Is that supposed to be the humor?
    Why would Homer be able to outrun god?
    And did Lisa say (something like) "Do you know what this means?!?" in every segment?

Frinkenstein - I'm gonna go out on a limb here - 0/5
    I laughed at the penis joke. Nothing else in this segment made me even crack a smile. Lisa's explaining the 21st century as like the 20th century, only everybody's scared was a great line in one way, but also like, thanks for ruining the half an hour of the day when I'm not thinking about how f*cked as a planet we are.
    There was so much in here that could have lead to something better. I was really interested in Frink's young adulthood, and then they ripped that away to get on with their ridiculous Nobel plot, if it can be rightfully called a plot.

Stop the World, I wanna Goof Off - 2.75/5
    I liked that the title appeared (to me, at least) to be a Vanilla Ice rip off. Guess the Beastie Boys did a song titled something like that, too.
    Homer & Nelson naked together -- just creepy. What were the writers thinking? Milhouse's lines were all lamentably predictable.
    Why did Homer's head keep falling off?
    With this premise *anything* could have happened. And nothing really did. What a waste.

total - 2ish/5

true, but i think the family turning outside in, doing a dance routine in which blood splatters everywhere, and Bart being mauled by SLH is, in principle, at least as potentially disturbing as last night's intro. how did you find that?

Heh, you got me there I guess. I guess it helped that the joke itself was funny to me, so my laughter kind of overruled whatever problems I might have had with it. Sort of like how a comedy and a horror movie can both have similar sorts of body mutations, etc, happen to thier characters, but to completely different effect in terms of audience reaction. Of course it was meant to be funny in this intro's case, but that the fact that I just didn't find it funny problem helped to make it disturbing instead.

Also, I should add that even in the "inside out" musical number no one dies (well, maybe Bart dies, but we don't explicitely see it), plus its the fog (rather then the other family members) hurting them. Something about Homer trying to beat his kids with a bat, and Marge blowing Homer's guts out, again just seemed to cross that line a little, even more then fog could. Even in the THOH context, it was just kind of hard to watch these characters that I have come to love so much trying to literally kill each other.

Originally posted by FlamingMeaux
    Homer & Nelson naked together -- just creepy. What were the writers thinking?
    you're an idiot.

Milhouse's lines were all lamentably predictable.
    incorrect. try again.

Originally posted by Icedragon
    "I'm Colista Flockhart. Who the hell do you think I am, I'm DEATH!"

Norm was great in that episode...

I find it ironic that many Simpson fans bashed FG because it was a "ripoff" of the Simpsons on the FG vs. Simpsons board. Now when the tables have turned, you sing a different tune, saying it is not a FG ripoff. Right, and Peter Griffin being in the crowd of Homer clones is a "homage" to FG...
    I've never gone to a Family Guy versus Simpsons message board and never saw people here saying Family Guy was a ripoff until the whole wave of FG fanboys came. The only people saying FG is a ripoff are the Simpsons producers. Either that or I have a very bad memory... Which could be very true.

And everything about this episode has already been said.... Stop the World was best, then reaper madness, then frinkenstein.

G-Spot Tornado perfectlycromulent's Avatar

why must every thread become a simpsons vs FG thread?

and i hope they start doing more parodies of horror movies & twilight zone episodes

or at least make them have something to do with haloween

Junior Camper

"you're an idiot."

Oh, I'm sorry. My mistake. Naked Homer and Naked Nelson very funny!
    Milhouse's change purse - height of hilarity!
    Naked basketball - hohoho.

Even people who didn't like this episode HAVE to agree on one thing:

Milhouse: I'm going to play naked basketball!
    Bart: NO you're not.

So. Freaking. Hilarious. Best line in AGES...

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"you're an idiot."

Oh, I'm sorry. My mistake. Naked Homer and Naked Nelson very funny!
    Milhouse's change purse - height of hilarity!
    Naked basketball - hohoho.
    You lost your penis - ROFL OMG!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

Junior Camper

Wow, maybe you should see if they're looking for more show writers.
    Idiot.

To answer your question about Charlie Brown references, there have been many made on the Simpsons. But if you are asking particularly about THOHs, then there are two except for this one: THOH II (where the peanuts gang are outside trick-or-treating) and the end of THOH IV is exactly like the end of a Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown (complete w/ SLH as snoopy!!)
    yes I meant specifically THOH's I should have said that. I cant believe I forgot about the THOH IV Christmas thing, thanks for pointing that out
    Thanks to Monty Burns for the sig

How did Lisa know that Professor Frink had won the Nobel Prize when she took the phone off of Homer?
    I really think the dialogue was poorly written throughout... I'm giving the episode a second watch to sort it out.

Reaper Madness
    Kinda plain and boring. I got a few laughs, but I pretty much knew what was going to happen. I had some laughs though... 2/5

Frinkenstein
    Pretty boring... Jerry Lewis was not used in the right way... I just didn't laugh. 2/5

Stop the World
    Awesome. Back to the Twilight Zone parodies for once.... I have never seen Clockstoppers, but this was of course a parody of the Twilight Zone episode, as mentioned before. 5/5

3.25/5 overall... next week looks so much better
    I'm back.

Originally posted by J.Re*
    How did Lisa know that Professor Frink had won the Nobel Prize when she took the phone off of Homer?
    I really think the dialogue was poorly written throughout... I'm giving the episode a second watch to sort it out.
    maybe the nobel prize guy talks really loud. but i agree that the dialogue was very cheesy at times. i hated the 21st century line.

One thing I would like to point out though, so it will stop once and for all:
    This was NOT A FAMILY GUY RIPOFF

[/B]
    Thanks for repeating me.

After 2nd viewing, I realized that the crummy dialogue was only in the 2nd act ("the way he said it, it sounded like he's going to take organs from living people" no shit, Lisa) and the 3rd was quite excellent. Only real problem with the first was it got off to a really fast start, but ended up being good.

Thread Information