28 9.24%
  • 3/5: So so-so, it's SCARY

94 31.02%
  • 4/5: So pretty good, it's SCARY

132 43.56%
  • 5/5: So excellent, it's SHUT UP YOU STUPID POLL EDITOR

38 12.54%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Treehouse Of Horror XIV" (EABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

frogophone

Reaper Madness was too much of a sketch row. But a hilarious sketch row.

this was a great episode...

Reaper Madness - 4.5/5
    overall it was the funniest one, if it hadnt been on Family Guy an was actually an original idea it woulda been a perfect 5...
    Best part - when Homer was going thru the crowd and tried to poke the guy in the eyes and he blocks it, an then after he cant make up his mind just smacks him dead...

Frinkenstein - meh....3/5, what more can i say?... average, but it was funny when Homer said "i wish i was Death again, that was sweet" (or somethin like that)

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off - 4/5 i suppose, it was overall funny and a good idea, and pretty entertaining......it was cool as hell when they were chaning in to all that different shit at the end when Lisa was hittin the red button..

even tho the math doesnt equal out, i give it a 4.5/5 for total entertainment value, plus the intro kicked ass

Junior Camper

Ok, I've watched this episode a couple more times (4, to be exact), and here's my final word:

Intro - The fact that OFF were basically killing eachother didn't really bother me at first, and didn't bother me on repeat viewings, and Kang and Kodos were great. Much better than last year's terrible intro.

Reaper Madness - I don't care if it was a blatant rip-off of Family Guy. I enjoyed it. And unlike many here, I liked how it ended. 8/10

Frinkenstein - I got a few good laughs from it, but the whole concept could have been executed a lot better. But it's still 10x better than most of THOH XIII (Fright.., and Island.., to be specific). 5/10

Stop the World - Best of the three. Lots of laughs, and very entertaining to watch. I liked the ending, as well. 9/10

Overall - 7.5/10

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

Originally posted by JMS
    There have been better Treehouse of Horror's episodes. This one was no "Shinning" though.
    I seriously doubt anything could ever live up to that, the best THOH segment ever IMHO
    Last edited by Icedragon; 11-03-2003 at 05:53 AM.

Junior Camper

the best part was when homer said "i wish i was death again , it was cool"

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

Worst Hallowe'en episode ever!

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Halloween specials have not been a forte of the past few years of the Simpsons, and this one was about in the same ballpark. The first story was pretty good, but that chase with Death at the beginning has been done twice already in the last year. I wasn’t expecting the plot point where Homer has to take Marge, and it was handled fairly well, but the ending seemed a little sudden. This was my favorite of the three stories, but it was too short. The second story had the best and worst points of this episode, Jerry Lewis and Jennifer Garner. Jerry Lewis was terrific, but Jennifer Garner was unnecessary. This was also probably my least favorite segment because it ran too long. There were few glaring weaknesses or strengths in the last story (except for Oscar De La Hoya’s unneeded appearance). A few strengths, a few weaknesses, and a very enjoyable appearance by Kang and Kodos gives this episode a 3/5.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Nature's Rubix Cube

Excellent way to start off the season.

Intro: 9/10. The Peanuts costumes were pretty good, not to mention the way the family was beating the crap out of each other.

Reaper Madness: 7/10. I hoped this one was a little better than the promos suggested. Still, excellent Benny Hill opening.

Frinkenstein: 6/10. Three words: Needed more Garner. Although Lewis saved the episode as he was the only person who could play Frink Sr.

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: 8/10. The best segement of the night. Couldn't stop laughing...still can't.

Overall: 8/10. And that's the end of that chapter.
    When it comes to livin', dying is the easy part.

Pretty good! 4/5 episode and a lot better than last years! WAYYYYYY better than Season 13's THOH 12. I loved Kang and Kodos BTW.

Reaper Madness 4/5

Finkenstien 2/5-What was up with the other guest star?!

Stop 4/5

Reaper Madness - The fact that it was a ripoff didn't bother me much. Decent segment, but the ending was hilarious.

Frinkenstein - Very boring. It had promise, but the story went nowhere.

Stop the World - Easily the best segment in this episode. Poor Homer never got to eat those donuts.

Intro: Kang and Kodos will get the axe come syndication. But, it was pretty good. The Christmas stockings joke had me laughing until the second commercial. 4/5

Reaper Madness: Fast. Very fast. And very Family Guy. Fat Tony not being able to kill Frankie = Family Guy. I like how Homer tricked god into thinking Marge was Selma...I mean Patty. Okay. 3/5

Frinkenstein: Heheheh. Funny. I just can't believe I laughed at the penis joke. I should be ashamed. Homer mentioning the first segment was gold. Oh, and Flanders being decieved by heaven was THE BEST PART of the episode. Seriously. 4/5

Stop the World, I Wanna Goof Off: BEST segment of the episode. I laughed at Bart and Milhouse's prank aganist Homer at SNPP. A true laugh-out-loud moment. Greatness. 5/5

Overall, a pretty good THOH. SO much better than last year's, but it would never touch being the best. 4/5...

Intro (Candy): 2.5/5
    Intro (Kang & Kodos) 5/5
    Reaper Madness: 3/5 (Something was lacking. And they hyped it too much. Otherwise it was great.)
    Frinkenstein: 3/5 (It delivered what I expected. And I was looking forward to this ever since I heard about it from my sister last year after she heard it from Mike Riess.)
    Stop the World, I want to Goof Off: 4.5/5 (I have one word. Excellent!)

Extra Credit: Scary Names

Final Score: 4.5/5

Final Statement:

It brought back things we haven't seen in years. And it certainly made up for last year's disgrace (Excluding "Send in the Clones." It may not be the best, but it's definately a boost in the show's quality. Ladies and Gentlemen, the effects of the Scully reign have finally worn off.

Originally posted by Simpfan28
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the effects of the Scully reign have finally worn off.
    Maude is still dead...

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I for one liked it.

Opening: Violence for the sake of violence? Probablly. Absurdity for the sake of humor? Yes. Not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination for a THOH. B

Reaper Madness: Saying this is a rip off of Family Guy is just as fucktarded as saying the Simpsons is copying Family Guy! I shouldn't have had to point out something so obvious. Was it too similar? Maybe but don't spend your time comparing the two shows. Did I like it? Yes very much so even though it was perhaps a little sick minded. :devil: A-

Frinkenstien: Well we have problems here. It drags on too long, the story was weak (I thought), not even that funny, pointless guests, female bare ass...wait scratch that complaint. C

Stop the World: Beautiful. My favourite and my most anticipated. Time travel is a hard plot to screw up I told others that this wouldn't be fucked up by any Clockstoppers spoof and it wasn't. Surreal, hillarious and I'm sure there are other words to describe it that I do not know of yet. How bout scrumtruelescent? A

Now I could tell off random friends and enemies but it wouldn't make much of a difference unless I sat at home with them and went into deep rate & review on each individual joke. And even then it probablly wouldn't make much of a difference. So all I'm left to say is get jokes.
    But please stop one line reviews containing nothing but baseless statements and single syllable words

I'm done.
    Last edited by Magnum; 11-03-2003 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

Quit Copying me

Intro: Missed it unfortunately. From all the praise, I will try downloading it soon.

Reaper Madness: Been done, but still enjoyed it. B-.

Frinkenstein: Biggest disappointment for me. Sounded like a great premise but i thought it was rather poorly done except for a couple parts. C-

...Goof off: Huge suprise! Didn't think it would be good from its synopsis, but this was pure Simpsons Gold. Great job guys. A+

Overall: B

frogophone

Al "The Halloween Names Are Back" Jean

hahaha.

Who the hell was "crab noodle" supposed to be in the end spooky credits?

And I figured that nerds would like Homer's Snowball I comment. I did.

Drinking on jet streams PhthaloType's Avatar

4/5
    2/5
    5/5

Just kidding, ECHELON.

Intro: Kang+Kodos was the best part!
    Reaper Madness: Homer replacing Marge with one of her sisters was the best scene here. Grade: B.
    Frinkenstein: This was too gross for my liking, with an unnecessary penis joke, of course. Grade: D+.
    Stop the World: This was the best of the three, especially since I also watched the movie "Clockstoppers." Grade: A-.

Overall grade: B-. A slight improvement from last year.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by homer5000
    Overall, a pretty good THOH. SO much better than last year's, but it would never touch being the best. 4/5...
    Out of the Six shorts between last year's and this year's THoHs, I'd say 'Send in the clones' was the best of the six, however "Frinkinstein" and "Stop the..." were better than the suckier pair from last year's THoH.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Originally posted by Icedragon
    Maude is still dead...
    Well I didn't say it entirely wore off. Those things can never be fixed. And just to set things clear with Reaper Madness, it wasn't a ripoff of the Family Guy episode. The Family Guy episode was a ripoff of the movie "Reaper Madness" released somewhere from Late 50's-Early 60's. I just wanted to make a point. There. That's one less thing to complain about. And we can't get those problems with Frinkenstein get in the way too much. There were some good points. I won't list them. Why? Because I want YOU to realize them. Now start thinking.
    Last edited by Simpfan28; 11-02-2003 at 10:07 PM.

I quick Dallas spoof can undo Maude's death...

Junior Camper

I think it was good. Not in the worst THOH's ever, but not one of the best either. Frinkenstein had some moments, like the spine joke and when Frink's father strolled the street wearing other people's body parts ala Saturday Night Fever. Overall, I was hapy with it. Better than last year overall for sure.

Uh...Maude dying was because of the Maggie Roswell going-away-but-returning-in-fourteenth-season thing. Not really Scully...

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

First two segments had one good joke between them if that.......opening was funny in two places.....the only real saving grace was the excellent Clockstoppers parody that I received quite a few laughs out of....2/5 and the worst THOH yet. Didn't really anger me too much though as I wasn't really expecting anything great.

Reaper Madness: Good start, liked most of it up until the end where I think it ended abruptly. Granted, it's only given about a 7 minute time slot with commercials, but it still could have finished better (I missed the last 20 seconds after they're on the top of that mountain but I don't think it'd make much a difference.)

Frinkenstein: This was a waste of time. I didn't really get why this was made into a THOH segment, they already did a Frankenstein segment in season 3. Plus, that one didn't make absolutely no sense like this one. Frink just finding his dad in the ocean with a shark bite was random, and his dad just grabbing organs didn't exactly have much reason.

Clockstopping segment (I can't name episodes very well, let alone THOH segments):

Good episode, good story with a funny problem (the clock breaking and them having to fix it.) I didn't expect much from the THOH episode since I didn't really watch most of last season (Did I miss anything, guys?) and I got more than I really predicted. Not that bad, but did not some of these sketches didn't last and got a little old before the end.

Not 5...Not 6...Not 7... DAntae's Avatar

i try to judge the all it all together as opposed to breaking it down into its seperate segments. i loved kang and kodos as usual, also the fight early on and granpa ending up on fire amuesed me. i was just thrilled to see some new stuff so maybe i am being genrous but overall i give the entire show a 4/5. milhouse living on gummi worms equals gold.

I wasn't too impressed on my first watch at all, but I'll give it a rewatch tonight... Kang and Kodos got my hardest laugh, and I thought Frinkenstein was rather long and dull

One thing I would like to point out though, so it will stop once and for all:
    This was NOT A FAMILY GUY RIPOFF

Maybe you should try to expand your cultural knowledge beyond the Family Guy and read the book 'On a Pale Horse' by Pierce Anthony

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

originally posted by tibor
    Who the hell was "crab noodle" supposed to be in the end spooky
    credits?
    It was supposed to be Yeardley Smith, but I don't get it either.

hey, people complaining about the intro, stop saying things like "for no reason" and "unexplained" and "violence". It was supposed to be like that, so what you're saying hardly amounts to criticism.

anyway, I never got particularly stoked about TOHs in the old days, and still don't, but I enjoyed this overall, even though it wasn't especially good. Have to agree with the general consensus in that I felt it was definitely in the "not bad"/"mixed bag" category. There was a huge problem in the pacing in the first segment - having watched the promo scene (Homer killing the crowd) before it felt like I had seen half of it already. Extremely abrupt, clunky pacing, not helped by the fact it was basically a sketch show. And, this problem was...uh, not exacerbated, but developed upon maybe in the second segment, which seemed to drag on for quite a bit. Perhaps more time devoted to Reaper Madness and less to Frinkenstein would have been a good idea. And if they have too little time these days with all the commercials to make TOHs have coherent plots and buildups of tension/drama etc, perhaps they should consider switching to just two segments. Anyway, I digress. Didn't care for the whole Captain Wacky feel of Reaper Madness, and it wasn't exactly memorable, but it provided some great laughs occasionally (Moe, Jasper) and it was better than the vast majority of post-S10 TOH segments, but still not great. B- Frinkenstein, as I mentioned, seemed to drag quite a bit with no real big laughs (though I loved the "haven't you stopped to realise who you're hurting?" exchange). I was astounded by how unfunny Frink was - with Frink, you always expect him to start sentences normally then end them with some insane ramble and some wild facial contortions, but here it just seemed to be fairly banal "normal" dialogue. Jerry Lewis was a bit of a disappointment too, he wasn't exactly bad but he wasn't exactly energetic or funny or anything. And given that the Frinks had most of the lines in this segment, it gave the whole thing a very mundane feel. Really, by the middle of it was just hoping for it to hurry up and end so the next one could start. C Which didn't disappoint. Really funny stuff, with some wonderful Bart/Milhouse exchanges ("yeeaah....but..you say it first") and fairly creative usage of the concept. Little to complain about really. Solid (if a bit predictable) plot and well-handled - this was the only segment here that seemed paced properly (Reaper was too fast, Frinkenstein too slow, as I said). the ending was anticlimatic in an odd way, but little more so than the ending of TOH 5 when they all turn outside-in and start dancing. And it was funny anyway, so what am I talking about. B+

What was with the guest stars? Now, I'm not saying I want the guest stars to have MORE of a role, if this is Al and co's way of pleasing the real fans while still pleasing the "OMG, THAT BOXER GUY" casual viewers and the Fox promoters, then fine, definitely keep it like that please. Give them one or two lines and that's it. But nevertheless, why would Jennifer Garner and Oscar De La Hoya (who wasn't even funny - at least they got a good joke out of Garner's bit) waste time coming in just to record a single short line? Weird.

Overall, a B-, or 3/5, which compares like this to recent TOHs.

TOH 10 B+
    TOH 14 B-
    TOH 12 B-
    TOH 13 C+
    TOH 11 C
    TOH 10 C
    Last edited by prince jafar allah; 11-03-2003 at 04:46 AM.

Junior Camper

I really enjoyed the first and the third segment, the second felt quite forced to me. The guest stars were imo useless, again. Anywayz, loads of fun moments made this for me one of the best THOH's of the last couple o'years. 4/5

Intro: Hillarious! For the first time since IX, Kang and Kodos actually contributed to the episode (well, the intro, but they were still funny!). 5/5

Reaper Madness: I know it was a Family Guy rip-off. Then again, Family Guy, while the whole show was a Simpsons rip-off, it was a good show, and this is a great vice-versa (as opposed to their Family Guy rip-off attempts from the late Scully era). 4/5

Frinkenstien: I wasn't expecting much from the episode. I was pleasantly surprised. While not that great, and had some pointless guest stars, there were some funny one-liners from the supporting cast (Flanders, Agnes, etc.) and Jerry Lewis's preformance was classic! 3.5/5

Stop the World: Not the funniest segment (that was Reaper Madness), but had the best plot, and it had some funny scenes. 4/5

Overall: 4/5. Best TOH since IX.

Thread Information