28 9.21%
  • 3/5: So so-so, it's SCARY

94 30.92%
  • 4/5: So pretty good, it's SCARY

133 43.75%
  • 5/5: So excellent, it's SHUT UP YOU STUPID POLL EDITOR

38 12.50%
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Treehouse Of Horror XIV" (EABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "Treehouse Of Horror XIV" (EABF21)

"Reaper Madness" - Death becomes H(om)er and our hero must learn to reap what he sews (and pull a fast one on the almighty).

"Frinkenstein" - Soon to be Nobel-prize winning Professor Frink reanimates Professor Frink Senior (played by Jerry Lewis) for some gruesome body parts-swapping.

"Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off" - Clockstoppers spoof, starring Bart and Milhouse.
    You know the drill. Thread will open after the episode airs.

Mods: feel free to edit the poll with clever voting options.

Junior Camper

This space for rent.

I enjoyed it!
    \m/

charlie brown costumes = genius

ok, the first semgent is great and all, but holy fucking family guy ripoff batman. I guess it was meant as a ripoff of that tim allen santa claus movie, but family guy did the exact same plot. I suck at voices, was that maggie roswell as mrs. hoover? Homer getting chased again was dumb, and by god no less
    3.5/5
    second segment penis joke was stupid. Jerry Lewis was excellent. Skinners mom getting mad at him for losing his spine was nice. Jennifer Garner was a pointless guest star, but it was short enough to forgive. Though the guy disagreeing with her was funny. reference to first segment is cool.
    4/5
    the third segment - evil kenivel joke was funny. This segment is the best one. The segment with homer at work was genius. Milhouse wanting to play naked basketball wasn't funny. I like thats barts hair is the same as the future ep. Making martin the scapegoat was genius. ending was kinda stupid, ruined it a bit.
    4.5/5
    overall very good. solid 4/5 episode, best treehouse of horror ep in a while.

edit: got in right before the rush
    edit2: fixed spelling, added word batman to first segment review for humour.
    Last edited by used; 11-02-2003 at 07:55 PM.

G-Spot Tornado perfectlycromulent's Avatar

very meh
    the only part i really dug was the clockstoppers parody

Junior Camper

It was pretty good. A lot better than last years train reck (minus Send in the Clones).

The intro was decent, and Kang and Kodos were great.

Reaper Madness was probably the best of the three. Frinkenstein didn't really do it for me, but it wasn't bad, and I rather enjoyed Stop the World.

Here's how I'd rate them:

Reaper Madness - 4/5
    Frinkenstein - 2.5/5
    STWIWTGO - 3.5/5

I'll give it a 4/5 overall.

AND THE SCARY NAMES ARE BACK!!! But stupid Fox had to push over the ending credits.

Monkey HOUSE

Reaper Madness: 4/5
    Frinkenstein: 2/5
    Stop the World, I want to Goof Off: 4.5/5 (Just because I've always dreamed off having time stopping power exactly like that)
    Last edited by IdRathaHavaBeer; 11-02-2003 at 05:48 PM.
    Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These fucking amateurs... Walter

what's an applebees Necromancer's Avatar

Pretty damn meh, and I'm being generous. Oscar Delahoya and Jennifer Garner guest stars were wholely unnecessary. Jerry Lewis's performance was sub-par.

Reaper Madness was the only good segment. The other two were only half decent.

i am the killer dressed in pilgrim's clothing.

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

Anybody who saves their own space at the beginning (or anywhere else) of this thread just so they can be "1 of teh furst posts in teh thred!!1", that particular post will get deleted and you will wear some fresh warning points, got it?
    yep.

As much as I like Oscar why was he needed for this episode along with Jennifer Garner ?

With that said... 4/5. A new rating system from me this season. Tomacco will be pleased.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

not great, but i enjoyed it nonetheless. favorite joke was when Homer took Death out to the curb WITHOUT enthusiasm. but Stop the World was best out of the three.

Junior Camper

intro:
    4/5
    great kang/kodos moment with november and xmas

reaper madness:
    3/5
    even though it was a lot like family guy, it still had its moments.

frinkinstein:
    2/5
    jerry lewis was funny, but the whole ep wasnt that scray/funny

clock stoppers:
    5/5
    very much enjoyed it. when they were messin with homer and quimby were great. the part with martin was great too.
    F the FCC
    Free Howard Stern

WWHHHHAAAATTTT??!??!!

Heh, batman and rhoda.

The clockstoopper thing was awesome!

I give it a 4/5 because the first was just wasnt enough. It wasnt bad I just mean it was short and stuff.

Im gonna play naked basketball!

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

All the segments were very clever, interesting, and well-animated. But, unfortunately, they were only mildly amusing, most of the guest stars were used poorly, and the pacing was too abrupt. (Though I did love the return of the Halloween names.)

"Reaper Madness": 6/10
    "Frinkenstein": 6/10
    "Stop the World, I want to Goof Off": 7/10

Overall: 6/10

I thought it was a pretty good episode overall. Great jokes, good lines, thoughtout segment. The costumes/Christmas scene was great.

The beginning segment(Reaper Madness) was pretty good. It had several good jokes such as:
    The "wind" part, british humor gag, "I liked Doug", the 3 Stooges bit, the train/God scene.

Frinkenstein: I thought this segment of the show was better than the Reaper Madness one. The jokes that stand out:
    Frinks invention, his fathers schedule, the shower bit, the Skinner scene was great, I thought ever joke past the Nobel Prize speech to the the end wrapped up very nice. It had great jokes and catchy lines to remember.

Stop the World, I want to goof off: The jokes I liked:
    Milhouse gags, his family part, the Homer donut scene, Martin scene, and the last family scene.

Besides Jerry Lewis, the guest stars were not much use. But I liked this episode. 4/5

Edit: What was the deal with the naked traffic cop?

Also what is with hate for the Frinkenstein. It wasn't much like a halloween episode, but it was a good skit.
    Last edited by Mr.Bunny; 11-02-2003 at 05:52 PM.

milhouse the great.

I loved it all.

reaper madness: 4.5/5
    Frinkenstien:3/5 not the greatest, but some good history on frink which we really don't know too much about.
    Stop the World, I want to goof off:5/5 AWESOME probaly one of my favorite treehouse of horror segments.

Favorite quotes:
    "Milhouse do you still have your change purse?"
    "This isn't marge, it's her sister selma" "That's Patty!"
    "Don't take me, take Milhouse, we all know there's no happy ending there."

Also, is this the first time, the word "Penis" has been said on the simpsons? I'm Sure Jonah will know the answer or some other huge fan, it seems like its the first time they have said it, possibly the censors are letting off?

"Reaper Madness" 3/5
    "Frinkenstein" 2/5
    "StopStop the World, I Want to Goof Off" 4/5

Pretty dissapointing start to the season. There were some decent jokes and bits but so many more that made me want to cringe. I'll be generous and give this episode a 3/5.

pretty rad

Quite good for a THOH; in fact, probably better than THOH XIII. Had some clever storylines.

Reaper Madness: Clever... I know it's a FG retread but still very Simpsony-original.
    Frinkenstein: I love Jerry Lewis. Great to hear him, and his performance was decent at worst.
    Stop The World...: Probably the best one, as it was pretty nifty.

Opener: Go Kang and Kodos! And the scary names are BACK. Not an EXCELLENT THOH, but still not horribly unwatchable.

Next week looks awesome. Can't wait.

Also, to answer the penis question: Homer the Moe was the first episode. "After Chernobyl, my penis fall off..."
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

no, i remember kent brokmen said penis once, to prove that his newscast was live

edit: look three posts up. damn fast replies.

Might surprise many of you, but I thought each segment got better after the other. I wasn't as impressed with "Reaper Madness" as others seemed to have been.
    Signature.

Junior Camper

the ending was very similar to THoH V where it was part of the last segment, but somewhat disjointed. i loved the ending. "...Goof off" was one of the best THoH segments ive seen in a long time.

drugdealer keeper awayer Hapablap's Avatar

If this is an example of what is to come this season, I say bring it on. I really enjoyed the whole episode, nothing too crazy, just good stuff, overall. I'd like to think they've toned down the insane whacky shit and are getting back to the "subtlety" that I've grown to love from the show. I give er' a 4/5. Especially compared to the last few thoh's - spectacular!!

Am I the only one who thought that was the best THOH in 5 years? God, that was great! Each segment was incredibly clever and witty. 5/5!

Blog Entries

Intro: 9/10. Although it kind of shocked me when they started hurting each other i loved it. Loved how Homer shot Marge and the blood splattered on the wall. Also enjoyed Kang & Kodos' annual appearance, thought it was funny that they made light of the fact that it's November.

Reaper Madness: 7/10. This segment (the beginning especially) reminded me of the Family Guy ep "Death Is A Bitch". Still pretty enjoyable up until it's revealed that Homer killed Patty instead of Marge and taped her hair on. Thought "God" chasing Homer was pretty stupid as well. Liked the enjoy though, simplistic and enjoyable.

Frinkenstein: 6/10. Pretty subpar segment, didn't find it all that funny and was kind of a little weird for my tastes. Jerry Lewis' guest starring appearance wasn't all that special either. Still had a few redeeming qualities though. Neat to see Prof. Frink have his own THOH segment

Stop the World, I Want to Goof Off: 8/10. Best and funniest segment of the episode. Good premise and pulled it off pretty well. I laughed the most during this segment. Thought it was kind of far fetched when it took Bart and Milhouse fifteen years to read the stop watch fixing book, but that's probably one of my only gripes from this segment.

Overall: 7/10. Maybe a 7.5 generously. Had some good moments but fairly average overall, nothing special.

Reaper madness - very good, although it was a clear rip off of family guy 3.5/5

Frinkenstein - this one just sucked, frink is not funny and jerry lewis seemed like he didn't know he was supposed to act funny - 2/4

Stop the world... - this is a classic THOH segment, simply the best of the show, all the jokes were dead on and the plot was interesting - 5/5

overall i'd give the ep a 4/5

More in depth review with my old pro's/con's next week, plus a NEW RATING SYSTEM FOR ME.

But for this week, I liked it alot.

Reaper Madness: 4/5
    Second One: 3.5/5
    Third One: 5/5

They all had good parts. Alot of references to pop culture...typical post-Scully era. Third one was a great idea with some well executed jokes and an awesome ending.

(Beep)
    "according to the 9/11 commission report, beamer actually said the words "roll it," apparently referring to a food cart being used as a battering ram"

loved it. intro was great. nice to see the name thing being brought back.

loved the first segment, especially when homer tricks god. that was gold. "im too weak and rich for this." also the be benny hill skit, awesome.

the second segment was sorda weak though. did not like it, too boring and produced very few laughs.

third segment was gold as well. cbg with a lightsaber, awesomeness.

overall a 4/5.

Very meh. Not much to say about the THOH, other then to hope that this doesn't represent the rest of the season. Great concepts spoiled by bad implementation (with noticeble exception of frinkenstein, which was a pretty bad concept).

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the clockstoppers segment and most of the intro (though I don't like the openings where they don't show a version of the main intro). Good to see that scary names are back. At least they are trying
    Marge: Homer, has the weight loss tape reduced your appetite?
    Homer: Ah, lamentably no. My gastronomic rapacity knows no satieties.

Crotis Jivefunk

Opening-4/5
    Reaper Madness-4/5
    Frinkenstein-4/5
    Stop the World, I Wanna Goof Off-5/5

An improvement over last year, no question. I'll call it a day and give it a 4/5.
    Last edited by Strong Sad; 11-03-2003 at 05:35 PM.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Ah yes, its that time again, for me, one of NHC's more cynical reviewers to um... start reviewing... once again.. yes that'll do. On with the episode review!

Opening: The Charlie Brown costumes were funny, but then the family kills each other for no reason. Stupid and confusing? Yes. Writers not trying at all? Yes. But Kang and Kodus saying that its now November made up for it... at least for tonight. That won't make sense the next time this airs.

First segment:
    The first segment, overall, was pretty good, except it started and ended so abruptly. Also, what an obvious ripoff of the Family Guy episode "Death is a Bitch." Whats also funny is that Family Guy did it 10 times better, and it was a regular episode for them. C+

Second Segment:
    Just plain weird and confusing like "...huh?". It felt like Mike Scully was behind this segment. The ending was very much like the ending of Bye Bye, Nerdie and strong arms of the ma, where for some odd reason a bunch of voilence erupts out of nowhere. I call these "WTF" moments. The dialogue in this segment was pretty bad, too. Too many annoying pop culture references (which they think are witty stabs and you can just hear the writers thinking "zing!" but theyre really just bad dialogue that will show its age way too fast), and I hate when they say penis on the show. I don't know why. Finally, this was yet another segment that had absolutely no "Halloween/horror" feel to it. D+

Third segment:
    Wow! Classic THOH material! This is what THOH is supposed to be! Not only was it a parody of a classic horror thing, it was imaginative and creative.. not just a bunch of wacky, gory "stuff" happening, like the previous 2 segments. I loved this segment. I've also always thought it would be awesome to be able to stop time, too, which made this even better. A+!

Conclusion: If all the segments could be like the 3rd one, I'd have loved this, but sadly the first 2 segments reflect all the reasons why the THOHs arent that funny or entertaining anymore (and havent really been for awhile) and I almost wish they would stop making them.

Overall episode grade: 3.5/5, or a C+ - very "meh" indeed, but a big improvement over last year's THOH.

~ NoOneFamous
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 11-02-2003 at 06:17 PM.

Thread Information