View Poll Results: What do you think of LW?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2010: The Simpson Age

108 77.14%
  • Better than Martin's Song

22 15.71%
  • Better stay at 2003

6 4.29%
  • Nah

3 2.14%
  • Yuk!

1 0.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and review: Lisa's Wedding

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

In the field of stupidity. Steve Allen's Avatar

Rate and review: Lisa's Wedding

It deserves a 9.5/10

Did you know: In the episode, Otto's Cab Co. was est. in 2003?
    Last edited by Steve Allen; 09-26-2003 at 03:24 AM.

New sig coming soon. This one's just on for a little while.

Stonecutter

Definately A+, a real classic. nothing wrong with it, the characterization is there, lovely plot, everything is great

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

A+ Absolute classic.

voted for Kodos

A+, nuff' said.

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

5/5, It's a classic all-right. The perfect mixture of surreal humor and taste for emotion.

Area Man

Certainly a classic to be cherished. Loved Hugh, loved the future Springfield jokes (especially Quimby as a taxi driver!), loved the ending. Everyone was in character and there were no misfires at all. Grade: A
    Last edited by Starbucks Exec; 09-26-2003 at 05:14 AM.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

One of the defining episodes of the entire series. We've had several flashback episodes, but now we get a peek into the future. The flash-forward plot device obviously gave the writers many jokes, ideas, and generally lots of new material to write. I loved the running gag of Maggie still being unable to talk, and plenty of other future-related sight gags...just the little throwaway moments that you'd miss if you weren't paying attention, such as Homer having a single strand of hair, and the Nuclear Power Plant now having four cooling towers. Add a nice ending, and you have a humdinger of an episode. Great stuff, truly. Not many episodes of The Simpsons get better than this, certainly not many shows gets better than this.

wreck on the highway

A plus.. one of those that are simply the best.

Stonecutter

It's episodes like this that made the Simpsons the greatest show on t.v.
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

A beautiful episode.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

I was never keen on any future episode, including this one. Although there were some pretty funny parts, it just didn't quite cut it for me. I liked it how Maggie kept getting silenced, Homer's window box, and the stuff in the future like the artificial trees and four towers on the plant. I also really liked the beginning before the future part, Homer watching the pig, Wiggum's mysterious animals, etc. I found the whole episode pretty dull though, and some moments far too wacky, stupid and surreal (crying robots, Burns snapping in half), etc. It didn't feel on-continuity at all. It's episodes like this that make me realise I'm glad the characters never age! B-/C+
    Last edited by simplysimpsons; 10-11-2003 at 05:42 AM.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

a malcolm and a archer

What is there to say about this one? Simply put, it is one of the best ever. Top 5 material. This is apparent from the opening scene, at the medieval, King Richard's Fair type thing. We get those very often here, and whenever I go to them, I think of this episode. Lisa wandering off and finding the fortune teller adds the perfect eerie atmosphere before the story begins.
    First off, the look into the future is very well done. The tree memorial is a good example, as are picture phones, WWIII references, and things like that. There are many appearances by minor characters, and it is very interesting to see what has become of everyone. The best examples are Otto, Mr. Burns, and Milhouse, whose lives have all taken interesting turns that all seem like things they would do. Very in character. Speaking of characterization, very well done. Marge and Homer are their normal selves. Bart has a job that any viewer of the show can see him doing in the future. Lisa is exactly how she was 15 years earlier. The recurring joke about Maggie never shutting up is a great one, as we never see her talk in this one. Emtional aspects were done well, and at the same time, there are funny gags that don't detract from the emotion. As for humor, couldn't be much better. It's rare that you can go 30 seconds, whether it's laughing at a sight gag or just laughing at how pathetic and demoralizing it would be too wear those pig cuffs Homer wants Hugh to wear. The ending was done well, and the decision to break up wasn't rushed at all, it had a good progression of events leading up to it. Then the episode closing with Lisa seeing Homer and feeling a new appreciation for her family is a nice, touching moment. A+

frogophone

First off, the humor in this is spectacular. It's pretty much an all out parody of exaggerated fantastical concepts of the future, like those 'cars of the future' shows in the 50's. Brilliant storytelling all around, a solid character study. A+

scummy man

NICE - 8/10

Blockoland Owner

4/5. so many good laughs. Got to love the Frink fish.

The Spring in Springfield

4/5. Pretty overrated in my opinion but still not bad.

Originally posted by simplysimpsons
    I was never keen on any future episode, including this one. Although there were some pretty funny parts, it just didn't quite cut it for me. I liked it how Maggie kept getting silenced, Homer's window box, and the stuff in the future like the artificial trees and four towers on the plant. I also really liked the beginning before the future part, Homer watching the pig, Wiggum's mysterious animals, etc. I found most of the second act pretty dull though, and some moments too wacky (crying robots, Burns snapping in half), etc. It's episodes like this that make me realise I'm glad the characters never age! B-
    The crying robots are a parody of Blade Runner

9.8/10 (There is always room for improvement, but this is about as good as it gets!)

"A horse is an animate object whose preservation by feeding and watering is necessary to prevent its death."

10/10

Martin's song kicked ass, btw

one of my favourites. also one of those that when i think of the simpsons as a good thing, this episode is one of the highlights.

Junior Camper

10/10 a great episode.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dunno...even before I started my site, I thought this episode was the 'wrong' way to show the family in the 'future'. Yeah, I know they meant to show the family in situations where they parodied sci-fi influences, but this episode was almost like an extened THoH episode rather than a real Simpsons episode. For what it's worth, I didn't care for the Jetsony-Future, but the wonderful portrayal of Lisa older and how Homer had to give her away was one of the better moments in the series. Even the ending was nice.

Had this been more in the setting of "Meet the Parents", it would've been a helluva lot more timeless, IMO. (But the writers don't belive in plausible futures.)

As it is, I'd give it a 4/5, or a B+

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Pin Pal

A good episode. This was not one of the funniest episodes and the episode was a little dull at times.
    This one gets an 8/10 on the laugh-o-meter. Grade B

One of the greatest episodes of all time (I know you hear that a lot but it's true). This was one of the finest marriages of humor and emotion that the show has ever had. This episodes deserves every bit of this perfect score. 5/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

wreck on the highway

Originally posted by The Foot
    A good episode. This was not one of the funniest episodes and the episode was a little dull at times.
    This one gets an 8/10 on the laugh-o-meter. Grade B
    Surely the emotion makes up for that?

frogophone

Originally posted by Jake
    I dunno...even before I started my site, I thought this episode was the 'wrong' way to show the family in the 'future'. Yeah, I know they meant to show the family in situations where they parodied sci-fi influences, but this episode was almost like an extened THoH episode rather than a real Simpsons episode. For what it's worth, I didn't care for the Jetsony-Future, but the wonderful portrayal of Lisa older and how Homer had to give her away was one of the better moments in the series. Even the ending was nice.

Had this been more in the setting of "Meet the Parents", it would've been a helluva lot more timeless, IMO. (But the writers don't belive in plausible futures.)
    Disagree. In much the same vein of Futurama, I see it as a send up of sci-fi conventions and wacky futurisma. Trying to construct a plausible future would probably only make it less timeless, as nobody knows what the future holds and predictions are often wildly off the mark ('member the 'car of the future' shows in the fifties? where's my nuclear powered Ford?! :furious: ). Also, rather than just lean on a parade of 'gee-whiz' future jokes (Bart to the Future completely misses the joke, here), there is an outstanding character core and a true emotional reality (which is always interesting when set against a surreal setting), truly some of the best stuff the series has ever done.
    Last edited by Tibor; 10-16-2003 at 10:33 AM.

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Although some of the jokes in the first act left something to be desired, most of the episode was nearly perfect, featuring great characterizations, Hugh as a memorable and funny one-time character, a unique, poignant tone, entertaining glimpses into the future lives of the Springfieldians, and one of the best endings in Simpsons' history. 5/5

In general i don't like these future so much, but this one is an exception.
    It's a funny and originally story with a nice ending with Homer and Lisa.
    The gags with the future characters work great most of the time and are really great.

B+

Overrated. Great plot and general idea, but I simply don't find it as funny as the average season 6 episode. Plus, its success spawned many far worse "future" episodes...but I won't hold that against it completely.

In Marge we trust

A+
    One of my favourite Lisa-themed episodes.(My 1 fave from Lisa and the entire show is Lisa's First Word,but this one was also excellent.)
    Better than Bart to the future and Future-Drama,that's for sure.
    Loved teenager-rockstar rebel Maggie,and the piggies.

Good episode and it didn't have too many unrealistic future things and focused more on it's plot which was good. Hugh was ok but not the greatest but Lisa was likeable in the future and it was nice to see her stick up for her dad. The plot was good and there were several good jokes but it could have still been better but it was great. 4/5

Thread Information