4 4.35%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R + R: The War of the Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Area Man

R + R: The War of the Simpsons

Overall, a good episode, but wasn't as emotional as it perhaps should have been. The party scenes I enjoyed. Dr. Hibbert got some good lines. Homer trying to sneak into church unnoticed was a hoot. The scenes at Catfish Lake however seemed a little half-hearted. Reverend Lovejoy's voice was also off. The Bart/Lisa/Abe subplot was the best part, but the main laugh came at the end with Abe's little trick. Overall, a tricky episode to judge, but as I got my evening's worth of quality entertainment from it I'll give it a 'B'.
    Last edited by Starbucks Exec; 09-20-2003 at 05:07 PM.

Area Man

Oopsie, forgot to incude the poll bit. Now that I come to mention it, I can't find the poll button. Help please?

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

You can only add a poll the first time you post it, You can't go back and edit and put in a poll. Moderators can though they will put one in for you.

A very good Homer/Marge marriage problems episode and one of the funnier episodes from season 2. 8.5/10

Hired Goon

Agreed. 9/10

Stonecutter

great episode, i especially like the ending - A-

wreck on the highway

A Underrated.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

This is regarded by most people as a weak episode by the standards of season two. I, however, disagree. It's a strong episode that holds its own and has some absolutely hilarious moments. Everyone, again, is in character and there are no wacky or stupid moments for the sake of it, although I can understand how people understandably cringe at the winking catfish at the end. Nevertheless, a great episode.

9/10. I prefer it to "Secrets of a Successful Marriage" and other "Homer and Marge's marriage on the rocks" episodes.

I can understand how people understandably cringe at the winking catfish at the end.
    That's balanced out by Homer's vision of Catfish Marge.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

our backs against the wall

I'm one of those people that thinks it's one of the weaker ones of Season 2. There are some great scenes like Homer recalling the party night (excellent animation), the babysitter remembering Bart, the party, and Grandpa tricking the kids at the end. The problem was the counseling part of the episode, it just seemed kind of pointless, it seemed that it revolved more around Homer trying to catch the big fish than Homer and Marge trying to save their marriage. B/B-

I like it. It gets a 10/10 for me. Probably the 2nd or the 3rd best of season 2.
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de español (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

Stonecutter

Rate/ Review: The War of the Simpsons

Be sure at the end of your post to click for Yes! Post a poll.

And I give this episode a 4/5.

Grade: B

As a "serious" episode examining Homer and Marge's relationship, it falls a bit short. While I understand that Homer throwing the fish away was supposed to be a symbolic gesture (at least in Marge's eyes) represent that he cares more about their marriage then keeping a prized fish, there's little in the way of insight or depth revealed about their marriage, other then really Homer cares about their marriage. It's not so much directionless or pointless as it is basic. On the plus side the humor is strong enough, particularly in the Bart/Lisa/Grampa party subplot, but also in the main plot with other people at the retreat (Ned and Maude and the other couple), the opening with Homer and Marge's own party, and even the often despised fisherman story about Homer at the end. Fun, and sometimes underrated, but still not anything special.

Blockoland Owner

2/5 nothing special.

Junior Camper

I think it's a pretty funny episode 9/10

the original Sex Pistol

4/5

a really entertaining episode with Marge and Homer.
    I like the story and it provides some great moments.
    Not really a great episodes by all means, but not bad either
    and i like it, has no downside for me.

B

It's funny to think that this episode contained elements I've disliked in recent years; Homer and Marge fighting and being forced to deal with problems in their relationship that is ultimately solved when Homer makes a grand gesture. I guess back then, that plot was much fresher but it was also done so much better with the characters being much more sympathetic, the conflict not at all contrived and some really good jokes. It also has an enjoyable subplot with the kids scheming to take advantage of Abe only to have him turn the tables on them. I'll stand by my previous grade, though I guess I'd adjust it to 4.5/5.

Pretty good, but the marriage crisis felt rushed and there is better marriage crisis episodes. Still, a good episode. 4/5.

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The beginning is amazing
    "Not THOSE peanuts...the ones at the bottom..."

5/5

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

not bad, 4.5/5

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

boring

Blog Entries

This is my least favorite episode of the season. I don't hate the main plot, but I don't like it because it got too serious. Also, other than Grampa's victory, I don't like the subplot, mostly because I find it extremely out-of-character for Lisa to join Bart in tricking Grampa. 2.5/5

Lisa joins up with Bart all the time. She actually used to be quite her age back in the day. If there's anything I don't like about activist Lisa it's that we hardly see any of her childishness.

Coincidentally I just watched this episode tonight. The embodiment of average.

Junior Camper

Perhaps the best Marge/Homer marriage episode -done realistically and with the right amount of humor, sentimality and charm to make it work. The sub-plot was pretty good as well. 5/5

Not amazing, but I like the contrast between the two stories. Some good humourous elements were in place. 4/5
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut View Post
    Lisa joins up with Bart all the time. She actually used to be quite her age back in the day. If there's anything I don't like about activist Lisa it's that we hardly see any of her childishness.
    True, but I thought she was even worse when she was a brat like Bart. I don't mind her acting like her age, but not when she's a clone of Bart.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

great season two episode, love the Homer/Marge interraction and Grandpa being probably his most competent of the entire series
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Blog Entries

An episode that has a few problems, but counterbalanced with some of the best gags of Season 2--Homer in bed with the sandwich is one of the first of those types of gags, and it's still unexpected to me!

Problems--marriage crisis is utterly stupid (of course, part of this might be after looking back at all the shit Homer's done, getting drunk at a party is nothing), the whole fishing subplot is dumb (other than the jokes involving the guys at the store), Lovejoy's voice is off, and I know the other couple besides the Simpsons and Flanders at the resort is a parody of something, but I found it to be stupid. On the plus side, I really do like the Bart/Lisa/Grandpa subplot

Overall an episode that pales in comparison to a lot of classic episodes, but that doesn't mean it's bad. 12/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Inevitably, this will seem better when I see it again. However, while this is an earlier Marge/Homer relationship trouble episode, I don't think it even feel all that fresh here. The subplot is nothing gruondbreaking but enjoyable. 3/5

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

2/5. Not a very funny episode

Thread Information