View Poll Results: What do you think of TS138thES?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great!

67 48.91%
  • Send out the robotic Richard Simmons!

52 37.96%
  • It's pure gold, but not real gold

12 8.76%
  • It's going down!

4 2.92%
  • Nah!

2 1.46%
  • The worst!

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and review: Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

In the field of stupidity. Steve Allen's Avatar

Rate and review: Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular

It had it's funny bits.

4/5

New sig coming soon. This one's just on for a little while.

Stonecutter

well, it is an interesting episode. A semi clip-show, but it has new footage aswell of course, which is great. The concept is very good, and very well done, but the NRA4EVER/matt groening texan/james l. brooks monopoly bloke 'gags' i dont like. I don't like the way that they're fake, I dont know who would find them funny. anyway overall, a well done episode, far better than Behind the Laughter, but those 'fake' jokes let the episode down. and, of course its scaled down for the fact that its a clip show B
    Last edited by Rnymd; 09-18-2003 at 03:46 AM.

Great episode. Troy McLure is hilarious ("You got some attitude, mister.") I think it has a few boring scenes, though. But it's always interesting to see the old clips.
    This is THE best episode to watch with someone who doesn't watch The Simpsons much but knows about it.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

This is a very good clipshow, if "clipshow" is the correct word, seeing as much of the material here is either new, or previously un-broadcast. I love this parody of all those television shows that feel the need to celebrate a milestone number of episodes, so The Simpsons takes it one step further and celebrates a seemingly random figure!
    I liked the collection of shorts from the Tracey Ullman show (because these were from a time before I actually began watching The Simpsons. It was nice to see how the style of animation and writing had evolved into The Simpsons that we all know and love.
    Possibly the best part of the show comes from viewing the never-before-seen outtakes, because these are, new material, in that, they've not been broadcast until now. Some of them, such as those from Krusty Gets Kancelled and Homer and Apu were, I thought, good enough to have been included in their respective episodes' original airings, but the others, notably Burns' Heir with the robotic Richard Simmons, the producers wisely left out. Along with this we get to see an alternative ending to Who Shot Mr Burns, which Troy McClure correctly stated would have been downright silly as it ignored all the evidence relating to the Simpson DNA.
    Finally, for good measure, we get to see a batch of nude scenes over the ending credits, accompanied by Shake Your Booty.

voted for Kodos

Very very funny episode, though I'm a little sick of it (For a while it was shown ALL THE TIME were I live) I love that it showed bits from the Tracy Ullman show. I also like how the first few times I saw it it was difficult to figure out what info was real and what as fake. A.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

A great spin on clip shows that gives you enough new material to actively re-watch it through the years (unlike the other clip shows). 8/10

Hired Goon

Good episode. 9/10

wreck on the highway

Brilliance. Best "clip" show, with great collection of shorts, outtakes, and a nice end montage to boot.. [b]A/A+{/b].

Stonecutter

For some reason many people hate clip-shows. I do not, assuming it's well done. This, my friends, is well done.
    This episode brilliantly puts together great clips in an excellent setting. Host Troy McClure is great. Finally getting to see outakes was gold, and the potshots the crew took at themselves was gold. An A+
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

¡Excelente! 10/10. Could enter in my top 25.
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de español (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

Grade: A

Best clip show ever, of any show I've ever seen. The clips themselves are all great, whether it be the outtakes that never made the cut (even if some definitely deserved it) or the Ullman shorts which are funny even today. The trivia challenges were all very well-written, and the pay-off worth it by the time the commercials had finished. And the "alternate ending" to "Who Shot Mr. Burns" was as clever as it was silly. Plus, Troy McClure just carries this episode through, spewing fabulous one-liners each and every second of the episode ("Well Professor, that's not a question", pointing out the continuity problem of the Smithers ending). And speaking of the letters, I love how they all seemed to come from someone of prestige in society (doctor, professor, ect). And the writers even remembered the full-frontal nudity that I love so much in the show. Classic.

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

Excellent episode. Love those cut out scenes. 10/10

Blockoland Owner

7/10 Some really good cut scenes.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Originally posted by Channel Surfer
    And speaking of the letters, I love how they all seemed to come from someone of prestige in society (doctor, professor, ect).
    And one guy came from the Ivory Coast.

"Over the years, we've received dozens of letters from fans wanting to know more about the show."

All Brain, All The Time.

"Which two popular Simpsons characters have died in the past year? If you said Bleeding Gums Murphy and Dr. Marvin Monroe you are wrong, they were never popular"
    This is truly a testament to they fact that if done properly, clip shows can work. Quite frankly I'd like them to show more scenes they cut out. Great episode.
    Peter Griffin: "The grown up in me likes the prospect of fun,
    but the kid in me is suicidal over what a fat bastard I will become."

Sideshow Bob: "Just the thought of all that raw, surging power
    makes me wonder why the hell I should care!"

Junior Camper

10/10 most bits are funny.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

It was pretty good I guess, my favourite parts were the Tracey Ullman clips and cut scenes. I was irritated by Troy's constant untrue joke refs (as mentioned before) and it WAS a clip show! B-

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Area Man

I liked it. Of course I would prefer a 'proper' episode, but having a mock-clip show hosted by Troy McClure was pretty inspired, and, for the most part, worked. B+

Crotis Jivefunk

They just don't make them like this anymore. 5/5

This sentence is a lie. Elkwood's Avatar

This is the best clipshow ever, Simpsons or other.
    Critics are raving over Maggie's Toilet Training!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Maggie's toilet training is the smash hit fan-fic of the season! Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by James L. Brookes View Post
    iMuy Excellente! This has really been capturing the feel of classic Simpsons wackyness!

It's a clip show, but it features deleted scenes and a lot of other funny stuff.

4.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Elkwood
    This is the best clipshow ever, Simpsons or other.
    Someone hasn't watched Duckman's "Clip Job".

But yes, I love this episode. Easily the best Simpsons clip show, with its sardonic edge. I love the moment when Troy is asleep on the couch and a long rod pokes him awake. Classic.

Fun fact: This is the only Simpsons episode animated entirely in the U.S., as far as I know. Since the only new animation required was Troy introducing the clips (which was hardly complicated movement- usually just a head nod and some mouth movements), it was all done here and digitally animated by U.S. Animation Inc.

4/5, really good episode.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

i really great idea to present a clip show.
    And most parts of it a really funny and this episode is in general
    at least always entertaining.

4/5

It was a good idea and fit together well. The use of rare footage was great especially the Tracy Ullman shorts and the clip show element was done nicely. A great way to celebrate 138 episodes. 4/5

Irish Simpsons Obsessive

It is a clipshow that is well disguised. This episode definitely featured Phil Hartman at his best, it is a pity that this was one of his last main roles for The Simpsons.

God dammit, this turned the word 'clipshow' and 'funny' into one complete package. It did have its flawed, mostly from the first act, but still it's amazing.

One of the most seriously brilliant episodes to date. A+

My favourite clip show episode (of course, the other clip shows weren't anything special, but still.)

An absolute classic. It shows just how brilliant Hartman was with Troy McClure (his voice acting makes this episode for me) and the original material here is hysterical.

Hahaha...they haven't changed a bit, have they?

5/5

Thread Information