21 17.80%

10 8.47%

7 5.93%

3 2.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R & R: I'm Goin' To Praiseland

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R & R: I'm Goin' To Praiseland

It gets a 6/10 for me. I think this episode is so-so, but not bad, and I was surprised when I saw it here, as the number 10 in the "Official 50 Worst Episode Ever List". What do you think of it?
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de español (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

Stonecutter

This episode is more slightly-worse-than-mediocre than it is really bad. A 5/10, perhaps?
    Season 17 Thus Far:

Bonfire of the Manatees: C+
    The Girl Who Slept Too Litte: A-
    Milhouse of Fog and Sand: B+

voted for Kodos

A give it a 7/10. It was nice to see Rachel Jordan again because "Alone Again..." left us wondering. The story was a little too far fetched though, Why would Gas make EVERYONE fantasize about Heaven?

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

You'd think that when the producers decided to get rid of Maude, they would've at least used the opportunity to further explore and develop Ned's character. Alas, this is hardly an in-depth character study. Nor is it particularly funny or memorable. Ned's "girlfriend", Rachael is just as uninteresting and useless as before, doing nothing for the episode or the series, for that matter. She's basically forgotten by the second act when Ned decides to build a theme park in Maude’s honor then brought back at the end for some lame form of closure. Oppurtunities for funny comments by secondary characters are sqaundered too. An episode that basically falls flat on every level. Maude died for this?

Grade: D+
    signature

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Hired Goon

Terrible episode. Not funny at all. The story made no sense; the gas causing fantasies about heaven especially didn't do it for me. 2/10

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

3/5

The episode's definitely not fantastic, but it's definitely better than what most people think in my opinion. The idea of gas giving people weird hallucinations at a christian amusement park was pretty weird, but I still enjoyed the episode. It was nice to see Ned recover after Maude's death at the end of the episode, and how obsessed widow's can be as it's showed in the beginning ( trust me , it's that bad).

Grade: D

An episode where the comedy was sad and the sad was funny. Seriously, Ned is both very weird and very uninteresting here. Is Maude's death really an excuse for him cutting Rachel's hair while she slept? An overly crazy, forced, unfunny way to push the plot along. And I won't even get into the believability of him actually building a theme park in remembrance of her death, or how (as squisheelady brought up) everyone had visions of heaven from the gas. And what was with Homer in this episode? He literally runs around screaming like an idiot. This episode might have still been passable had it been funnier, but it barely gave any chuckles. CBG's fantasy and a few things in the opening scene are kind of humorous, but other then those few moments, there isn't anything funny at all. Sadly not the worst of season 12.
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 09-10-2003 at 08:48 PM.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

^
    |
    What he said.

2/10

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

4/10. One of the worst ever. I'm Goin' to Barf.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

7/10. Would have given it a six, but the grade is raised by Milhouse's line "Ants are crawling in my mouth and I don't care!". Please excuse my odd sense of humour.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

6/10. Nothing special, Nothing terrible.

In the field of stupidity. Steve Allen's Avatar

The episode was on TV last night!

Anyway, 6/10

New sig coming soon. This one's just on for a little while.

a malcolm and a archer

I was hoping for good emotion, or at least sadness like in Alone Again. Instead, we saw that any attempts at emotion were terribly forced. The main plot was rather poor too. However, there were a couple redeeming factors. I did like the ride where the kids are strapped in and have to sit while they hear Bible passages. My memory is a bit rusty so I don't remember how well exeuted it was but it's one of the things I remember about the episode. I did also like the gas thing. Yes, it was a bit wacky, but I appreciated the irony that everyone thought God was performing a miracle but it turned out to really by something harmful. But overall, this episode fails in most aspects but doesn't really stand out in my mind as being one of the worst ever. C-

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I'd rank it around average for season twelve, which, compared to the run of the entire series is very poor. It does have its funny moments, which are few and far between. Rachel Jordan isn't a very interesting character, so why she was brought back, I don't know. Why we don't hear about her again after this, I still don't know. How Ned Flanders almost single-handedly managed to build a theme park, I don't know. Why Maude wanted a Bible-themed amusement park as one of her wishes, I still don't know. Why the gas was strong enough to cause hallucinations, I have no idea. Why Lisa and Marge and Bart are remarkably underused, I don't know at all. There's a lot of unanswered questions from this episode due to its many flaws.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

wreck on the highway

Originally posted by squisheelady
    I give it a 7/10.
    Due to my liking of the plot.

It was original. liked it.

7/10

Blockoland Owner

6/10. Disco Stu's heaven was pretty funny.

Junior Camper

6/10 It wasn't great but it wasn't bad.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: daveamania

In terms of emotion and character development, 'Alone again..' is (almost) pure gold when compared to 'Praiseland'. 2 or 3 good gags, but that's it. 3/10

pretty mediocre

i don't know, i really don't like Ned as Widower.
    I think this episode is also not so good and not really funny.
    I just don't like it too much, think it was better when Ned had Maude as wife on his side.

3.5/10

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Junior Camper

Had its good points and bad points. I think this is probably the best post-Maude portrayal of Ned out of the episodes he's appeared in since her death but that's not saying much. I kind of liked the concept and the idea of the show and it was executed rather well. I agree that there were inconsistencies and Ned's cutting of Rachel's hair was slightly creepy but all in all I enjoyed this. I'll give this 7.5/10

Omicido Attentato Multiplo Sideshow Jay's Avatar

I saw this episode once a long time ago, but I thought it was decent. I'll give it a 7/10.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by George Cauldron View Post
    I'd rank it around average for season twelve, which, compared to the run of the entire series is very poor. It does have its funny moments, which are few and far between. Rachel Jordan isn't a very interesting character, so why she was brought back, I don't know. Why we don't hear about her again after this, I still don't know. How Ned Flanders almost single-handedly managed to build a theme park, I don't know. Why Maude wanted a Bible-themed amusement park as one of her wishes, I still don't know. Why the gas was strong enough to cause hallucinations, I have no idea. Why Lisa and Marge and Bart are remarkably underused, I don't know at all. There's a lot of unanswered questions from this episode due to its many flaws.
    Most of your questions are worthy, but I thought Maude wanting to build a Bible-themed amusement park was well within her character. She'd always been seen as a good Christian, it makes sense that she would want to make something that's fun for children and also spreads the word of God.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

8/10, it was good, but a little low on the humor department

ugh . the plot made no sense, it wasn't funny and the emotion was tagged on

Could be worse. I'm glad this one's out of 10 because IMO it's worse than a 3/5 but better than a 2/5. As a result, I'm giving this a 5/10. Nothing special about it at all but the premise is slightly intriguing and I don't recall anything that is particularly cringeworthy.

Blog Entries

It's kinda average.

The best stuff, by far, is the Ned Flanders development. The episode serves as a good bridge between "Alone Again Naturadiddly" and "A Star is Born - Again" as Ned comes to terms with Maude's death. Of course, he comes off as extremely creepy, but it's actually pretty funny in a pathetic way. The idea that Ned would keep Maude's imprint on the other side of the bed is cuckoo-bananas.

The "Christian amusement park" works okay as a story and seems to be a pretty good representation of what would actually happen. At that point, they kind of write themselves into a corner so the episode goes off on the gas-leak subplot. It's not the worst direction they could've gone. You have to suspend disbelief a good bit, but I've had much tougher exercise already in Season 12. This is child's play.

Overall, 3/5.

Easily one of the worst episodes of S12 (right up there with "A Tale of Two Springfields" and "Simpson Safari"). It's not funny, and I think the writers really wasted an opportunity to explore Ned's life post-Maude's death in earnest. The amusement park idea was original, sure, but it's executed terribly. And for some reason, Homer's irritating, borderline-jackass behavior in this one wasn't nearly as well-intentioned as it was in "Alone Again..." Oh, and this doesn't really affect my non-existent enjoyment of the episode, but I think the animation in this one is kind of sub-par when compared to the rest of the season; that might just be me, though.

1.5/5

39. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gorky View Post
    Easily one of the worst episodes of S12 (right up there with "A Tale of Two Springfields" and "Simpson Safari"). It's not funny, and I think the writers really wasted an opportunity to explore Ned's life post-Maude's death in earnest. The amusement park idea was original, sure, but it's executed terribly. And for some reason, Homer's irritating, borderline-jackass behavior in this one wasn't nearly as well-intentioned as it was in "Alone Again..."
    Agreed, but actually I found Homer irritating in Alone Again Natura-Diddly too. What the season 11 episode had was a nice development of Ned, while here he is a cartoonish overreacted character.
    There are no redeeming qualities in this piece of crap. It's almost absolutely unfunny, the characterizations are flat and sometimes disgusting and the whole plot is forced at all (OK, Maude is a religious woman, but that's not enough to justify the whole Praiseland idea. And its construction is likely to be one of the most tedious parts ever in The Simpsons). Painfully overrated, I have never seen what seemed to make it "special" in comparison with its contemporaries. I hate it intensely and the saddest thing is that it's not by far the worst episode of S12. Worthy of a place in the bottom25, though. 4/10

41. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Thread Information