View Poll Results: What Do You Think Of 8F07?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

55 48.67%
  • 4/5

40 35.40%
  • 3/5

13 11.50%
  • 2/5

5 4.42%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review Saturdays Of Thunder

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate and Review Saturdays Of Thunder

Synopsis:
    In order to build a father/son relationship, Homer helps Bart build a soapbox racer. However, when Martin crashes his racer during the time trials, Bart must make an important decision: Turn his back on his father and be Martin's replacement driver, or race in his soapbox and let Nelson win.

The Good
    - Nelson
    - Barney still trying to hit on Selma (see 7F15 and 7F20)
    EDIT: Oh, wait, it was Patty this time.
    - Most of the Homer scenes
    - They're finally hauling away Homer, it's for the best
    - Homer 'asking' Ned about when a kid should start dating
    - 'Kill Spectators'

The Bad
    - Homer been a jerkass when Bart turned his back on him.

4/5
    Last edited by Cosmic Fool; 08-20-2003 at 08:09 AM.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I really like this episode even if it's not an obvious candidate for one of the best episodes. It's full of touching father/son bonding moments, the humor is extremely subtle in places and it's just got a feel-good factor to it, particularly the ending. The best part is where Homer attempts the Fatherhood Quotient tests, both times.

4/5. I disagree with the notion that Homer was being a jerkass though. I think it was more a combination of his immaturity and feelings of hurt and betrayal. He had made a genuine attempt to bond with his son after being shown up as an unattentive father, and Bart's decision to race in Martin's soapbox racer was tantamount to rejecting the attempt at bonding.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

voted for Kodos

An episode so unmemorable, I can't even remember it, even though I know I saw it.

I lik eit, the plot is very simple and family based. A lot of new episodes should be more like this, staying in Springfield and not wacky or unrealistic

4.3/5

"A horse is an animate object whose preservation by feeding and watering is necessary to prevent its death."

It's OK - not my favourite Bart/Homer episode though

3/5
    Sig Free since '03

I like this episode a lot (probably in my top 100), it may not be the most memorable but it's filled with a lot of good humor, and moments. A/A+

I think it's a good episode. 4/5

Hired Goon

Good episode, exploring the relationship between Homer and Bart and how driving Martin's car broke Homer's heart. Good jokes as well give it a 4/5.

Squisheelady..if anything this episode is one of the most memorable episodes ever. Lots of memorable moments. Not one of the best though, but stilll good.

4/5

a malcolm and a archer

4.5/5 A top 50 episode

voted for Kodos

Originally posted by Brent
    Squisheelady..if anything this episode is one of the most memorable episodes ever. Lots of memorable moments. Not one of the best though, but stilll good.

4/5
    I'll have to re-watch it. It's been atleast a uear since I've seen it. The jokes may have been good, but the plot just didn't grab me, thats why I always tend to forget it exists.

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

Haven't seen it in a while but what from what I remember it was very entertaining, Very funny and had a nice Bart/Homer story, 8/10.

wreck on the highway

5/5. Another underrated classic. Good thru and thru.

Grade: A

As is expected of season 3, this is another highly character-driven distinct episode that while the premise isn't as known as well as others in season 3, its still very captivating as one of the few good Homer/Bart bonding episodes ("Brother From the Same Planet" and "King of the Hill" being the only others I can think of). I certainly didn't see Homer's behavior as "jerkass". Like AB said, Homer tried to be a loving father to Bart by helping him with his soapbox racer, but felt betrayed when Bart agreed to take Martin's racer. Perhaps a bit immature, but Homer's an immature person, and it's not as though he doesn't redeem himself anyway. The jokes were great too, from the already mentioned attempts at the Fatherhood Quotient tests by Homer, to the "Ben Hur" homage (even if perhaps the most overdone parody in cartoons), Patty with the "Mary Tyler Moore" haircut, the McBain video, and the opening with "I Can't Believe They Invented It". Might make my top 50, and if not certainly borders on it.

Stonecutter

3/5: Good episode, not the up there with the best though

While not my favorite "parental bonding" episode of season 3 (Lisa's Pony gets that distinction), Saturday's of Thunder is nothenless one of the best episodes of the very strong season 3. As Channel Surfer said, there are too few bonding episodes between Bart and Homer, and I consider this one to be the best of them. It is very moving and captivating in many areas, with very likeable characters. And, lets not forget all the hilarious moments, of which there are many (Martin running on fire, "you sure gave that kid the heebie jeebies", Quimby's lines, "and I'm also fat!", etc).
    Grade: A
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

9.5/10

Awesome episode. Homer was not a immature, greedy jackass. Personally I thought it was better than Lisa's Pony, mostly because it never got too syrupy (although Lisa's Pony was pretty good too).

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

Disregard.
    Last edited by Sloppy Jimbo XOX; 10-27-2003 at 01:41 PM.
    signature

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

4.5/5 - maybe a 5/5 because I can't really find fault with it, an extremely well made, high quality ep. Homer was at his best - a shining example of the old Homer before the Scully Era. You actually felt sorry for him when he cried! Lots of rare Homer/Bart bonding moments too, which was a treat. Even though it was a more plot-based ep, it still had its share of funny gags. Grade: A/A+ (About average for S2!)

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

wreck on the highway

It's from S3. Sorry to nitpick .

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Not as good as "Lisa's Pony", but it definitely deserves credit as one great episode involving the relationship between Homer and Bart. There were a lot of laughs and a lot of tender moments. A very overlooked episode. 8/10

voted for Kodos

OK, I'm gonna watch it again, as soon as I get to my parents house (where my DVD player is) this weekend and see if I like it any better.

Verminous Vagina Unbelievable_Truth's Avatar

After numerous repeated viewings of this specific episode, I've come to the only possible conclusion...it is indeed the best episode out of season 3 and there is even potential of being one of the best ''Simpsons'' episodes known to date. I shall name several aspects as to why I think so....

The intro was PURE GOLD! The witty conversation between Nick and Troy Mclure makes me laugh every single time I watch it. Nick being the standout character for sure with some very clever lines, '' Not so fast Troy''......''Buuuuuttt troy hooooww cannn I make it lower than 39.95?'' Troy:'' Find a way'' You get the picture! Homer's reaction is sure to give you some funny laughs too.

Following this perfect scene is another glorious performance by actor Mc.Bain. Not essential to the story, however, it adds a very funny contribution!

We already have some very non-important scenes, but the story itself is excellent...Superbe!

In my opinion, Homer was at his best delivering a perfect 10! Having a hatred against Martin after Bart decides to take advantage of Martin's car, makes for some of the most entertaining moments ever. When Homer meets Martin, his reaction is hilarious! ''ŻOU! Homewrecker!'' ''I'll curse that name till the day I die''

GRADE: 10!

Pin Pal

An enjoyable episode with good involvement between Homer and Bart, but not one of my favorites.
    This one gets a 7/10 on the laugh-o-meter. Grade B

Blockoland Owner

3/5

Pin Pal

A solid 4.5 or 5/5! I loved the ending in particular to this one...like the last 3 seconds. The rest was great as well...

An episode from season 3, but not one of my favorite episodes from season 3. There aren't really many spectacular or memorable moments from this episode, and I always thought that Patty and Selma didn't make very good use of the numerous scenes they were in. Not a great episode, but it's at least satisfactory. 3/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

This episode strayed a little bit from the 2 story theme that made the 3rd season great. 3/5

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

This is one of my least favorite episodes ever... The problem is that this episode is between brilliant pieces of season 3,and that's why this episode seems like crap to me every time i see it. It's just not good as the others. Homer was too harsh on Martin,it was so out of character. The episode is full of pointless and stupid lines,like this one: "My dad,he's just sitting and staring at the TV,I've never seen him like this". God,we always see him like that! The episode made me laugh only few times,the only thing I really liked here is the scene with Homer doing the test. All in all... 2/5

Also,this episode seems like season 1 holdover - cruel animation,bad jokes,and incomplete characterisation.
    Last edited by Rest your giant head; 10-31-2006 at 11:21 PM.
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Thread Information