View Poll Results: How would you rate 'Make Room For Lisa'?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

19 15.32%
  • 4/5

42 33.87%
  • 3/5

31 25.00%
  • 2/5

17 13.71%
  • 1/5

15 12.10%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Make Room For Lisa

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Straight-Shootin' Sonofagun

Rate & Review: Make Room For Lisa

I have to give this episode 4/5. The bizarre cycle that saw Homer end up back at the new-age shop was odd, but it did give us some great insights into Lisa's character.
    Signatures are so overrated!

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

I don't know who this episode involved, but it sure as hell wasn't Homer Simpson and Lisa Simpson. C-

a malcolm and a archer

i think this episode is painful to watch. one of my worst ever.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

wreck on the highway

It's just strange. Sorta funny............ but VERY strange. C+.

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

4/10

This episode was very fucked up to say the least. Very odd characterization of the Simpson family. Also, some of the worst examples of Jerkass Homer are in full play here.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

I need some insight into this episode, everyone.

Because the first time I watched it I thought it was a good episode, and I continued to like it for a few years. Then I found out that most people here really hate the episode, but I'm still not seeing what you guys are seeing. I've tried very hard to find what was brutally wrong with it, and I'm still not getting it. Enlighten me, please!

So as of right now, 6/10

our backs against the wall

worst Lisa episode ever, which is very hard to do because Lisa episodes are usually very good. C

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

The characterization is off for OFF, particularly a very whiny Lisa and a very irritating Homer. I quite enjoyed Homer's journey in the...sensory deprivation tank, although it got rather far-fetched. It's nothing special, but then not one of the worst ever.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Originally posted by George Cauldron
    The characterization is off for OFF, particularly a very whiny Lisa and a very irritating Homer. I quite enjoyed Homer's journey in the...sensory deprivation tank, although it got rather far-fetched. It's nothing special, but then not one of the worst ever.
    Agreed. For all the bad rap this episode gets, I do feel parts of the third act involving the sensory deprivation tanks were well written. Grade: C

Crotis Jivefunk

3/5 There were some funny jokes, but it was uneven, and Homer seemed like a charicature of Scully himself.

4/5

I never really get why people say this episode is so bad..I really enjoy it, especially the hallucination parts. Definitely not anything amazing, but solid and enjoyable.

*flashback*

I first got a chance to watch MRFL about a year and a half ago. But at that point something came up and I couldn't watch it. I was excited about this episode all day as I read the description and it sounded real cool. Lisa and Bart being forced to share a room? Sounds good.
    It would be almost an entire month till I got to see this again and I was disapointed. Homer was being a penis and Lisa was being bitchy. They barely ran with the Bart/Lisa plot, instead giving us all that sentimental crap. What a waste.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Originally posted by ComixFan
    I need some insight into this episode, everyone.

Because the first time I watched it I thought it was a good episode, and I continued to like it for a few years. Then I found out that most people here really hate the episode, but I'm still not seeing what you guys are seeing. I've tried very hard to find what was brutally wrong with it, and I'm still not getting it. Enlighten me, please!

So as of right now, 6/10
    The biggest issue is this episode is, not only does Homer act like a complete braindead asshole, the writers are justifying his behavior. He gives away Lisa's room and constantly annoys her throughout, yet it's Lisa who ends up apologizing ! Lisa forgives Homer for taking her places, yet in the beginning, Homer clearly only goes to the museum because it's Lisa's turn and Marge forces him to. The only genuinely emotional parts are the end of the second act and the final scene at the demolition derby, but it's not enough to make up for the unlikable characters and lack of meaning.

And there wasn't too much to laugh at either. The second act in particular is mostly unfunny, just Homer and Bart annoying Lisa, but without the wit we saw in the similar episode My Sister My Sitter.

I did enjoy the Marge subplot, though some would consider it tasteless. The first act had some good satire on corporate ownership, though most Lindsay Naegle-haters on this board probably despised it. The third act had some intelligently-written scenes involving Lisa's hallucinations.

So, a couple of the individual scenes were funny, but it's largely a pointless bland episode. So I give it a C.

Sonic Death Monkey FalloutBoy0724's Avatar

4/5. I enjoyed this episode.

Grade: D

What Mike Scully said, but I'm not nearly as nice. The basic idea behind the episode was that Lisa should appreciate her father because he does stuff with her that he doesn't want. OK, but Homer was in full-throttle jerkass mode, and his characterization is not only annoying, but it completely destroys whatever meaning the episode was trying to build with the Homer and Lisa relationship. He was the one who gave away her room, forced her to take the harsh antacids, forced her to deal with Bart, and helped Bart annoy her with the pen cap race; and there was little to nothing redeeming about him either. Lisa's more then just selfless by identifying with Homer, she's suffering from Stockholm Syndrome by the episode's end! Not to mention that not a lick of the Homer/Bart annoys Lisa humor is funny, nor is the slapstickish tangent with Homer's trip in the sensory deprivation tank. The beginning is alright though, and the Marge/Bart subplot is a bit better than the main plot (even if its another "Marge bored at home" season 10 plot), but that's not enough to even make it tolerable.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Originally posted by Channel Surfer
    she's suffering from Stockholm Syndrome by the episode's end!
    Wonderful observation...

And yes, I would agree. This episode does not in any way apply as a study of the relationship between Homer & Lisa, as the characters involved are nothing like the Homer & Lisa of Lisa's Sub, Lisa The Greek, etc. The entire episode seems to be a misguided, badly judged attempt by the writers to "excuse" Homer being a Jerkass. And despite the fact that Lisa had a justification for being whiny and miserable in this episode (Homer's behaviour) she is still far from being the sweet, emotional little girl she was a couple of seasons earlier (her behaviour when Homer offers to watch TV with her annoys me greatly, for example).

In the field of stupidity. Steve Allen's Avatar

I should say both C+ and 3/5

New sig coming soon. This one's just on for a little while.

Originally posted by Mohammed Jafar
    The entire episode seems to be a misguided, badly judged attempt by the writers to "excuse" Homer being a Jerkass.
    Unfortunately, that's what it comes off to be. It's almost like, "Hey, if Lisa can accept jerkass Homer, then certainly you, the viewer can too".

I'll agree too that Lisa wasn't exactly in character either, even if not nearly as badly as Homer's. Of course, had her characterization been sweeter, or more sensitive to Homer's complete and utter disregard of her, it would've been that much harder to swallow his antics throughout.

wreck on the highway

I'll agree too that Lisa wasn't exactly in character either, even if not nearly as badly as Homer's. Of course, had her characterization been sweeter, or more sensitive to Homer's complete and utter disregard of her, it would've been that much harder to swallow his antics throughout.
    I agree too. Lisa saves the ep, really.

Originally posted by Wezzo
    I agree too. Lisa saves the ep, really.
    Your statement contradicts what you're agreeing with. I'm saying that Lisa is out of character too, along with Homer. Even if Homer is worse, neither are good characterizations. My only point is that if Lisa had been more likeable, i.e. better characterized, Homer would've been even more unlikable because of her likeability.

wreck on the highway

My only point is that if Lisa had been more likeable, i.e. better characterized, Homer would've been even more unlikable because of her likeability.
    That's what I was agreeing with. I should have put, "Lisa saves Homer's characterization", but oh well.

Hired Goon

Definitely one of the worst Homer & Lisa episodes. Just some usual run of the mill crap. Basically, I just don't like this episode. 1/5

wreck on the highway

Originally posted by Glayvin
    I just don't like this episode
    A good way to put it

That's what I was agreeing with. I should have put, "Lisa saves Homer's characterization", but oh well.
    I still don't think you understand what I'm saying, or I'm wording it very poorly, or something. I don't think Lisa saves Homer's characterization. Homer is extremely annoying throughout. And Lisa isn't very good either. But if Lisa's characterization had been better, it would've made Homer's already annoying behavior that much worse.

But it doesn't make the episode better to have both characters poorly characterized. And sense Lisa is poorly characterized, she doesn't save the episode (for me anyway). It makes her defining moment at the end even worse. Her characterization is poor and uninteresting, just like the episode.
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 07-20-2003 at 01:31 PM.

I think Homer was in jerkass mode, but I think the episode was still fun and enjoyable..and it's definitely not in my top list of "Homer being annoying" episodes.

wreck on the highway

Channel Surfer, i'm just bad with words. Trust me, I understand

4.5/5. Good second act and great third act had made me forget all about the crappy first act.

Channel Surfer, i'm just bad with words. Trust me, I understand
    Alright, I'll trust ya.

wreck on the highway

Yay!

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

3/5 not really that good , but some of it was entertaining ... I suppose.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

Thread Information