7 9.09%
  • 3/5 average

9 11.69%
  • 4/5 good

36 46.75%
  • 5/5 woo-hoo!

14 18.18%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate Brawl in the Family?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

How would you rate Brawl in the Family?

Tomorrow night we get to see Al Jean's second offering to air. will it be good? after viewing the episode tomorrow fill out this poll & tell me what you think. from the looks of the previews, it look ok

Why does everyone post these so early?????

Best Episode Ever. 5/5 -- But seriously, the show doesn't air for another 26 or so hours, the poll is just a tad bit early.

cuke as a coolcumber Smilin'JoeFission's Avatar

Originally posted by crazyjre
    Why does everyone post these so early?????
    Just what I was wondering...
    "If art were to redeem man, it could only do so by saving him from the seriousness of life, and restoring him to an unexpected boyishness."
    -John Lennon

Stonecutter

i was trying to think of a new thread & this came to mind. i think alot of people have alot to say about this episode because its an al jean episode and the plot is interesting & intriuging. i made it early because i wanted to see people's reactions before & after the episode aired.

Straight-Shootin' Sonofagun

Anything starring Marge is good.
    Signatures are so overrated!

Pin Pal

From what I've gathered, this episode looks...pretty dull. The plot seems reused (Homer and his Vegas wife, Marge kicks Homer out of the house, he takes up residence in the Tree House).

But that's from the FOX commercial, and y'all know how off those are.

Let's hope I'll be pleasently surprised.
    ***All Hail Al Jean, the Holy One***

Originally posted by joshman
    i was trying to think of a new thread & this came to mind.
    Post whore

Stonecutter

i'd like to see you make another post better than this.

like you care anyways. this aint the blame game hear.

The Boy Who Lived

Question

Well...this episode isnt the best in the season nor was it the worst. I thought this episode was hilarious! Lots of funny gags and stuff! Amber making Homer the sandwich in the treehouse was great and Marge saying "Oh No! She's making him a sandwich!" and Moe with the two knives were good too....BUT....(thats a BIG but) was the third act. The first two acts were quite good and I was wondering if they would put the Vegas wives in or not, but they did at the end of the second act. The episode changed so much! These 2 plots could have been 2 seperate episodes on there own which would have been a better idea. The social worker plot was just fine the way it is. But then the third act was just kinda weird. It wasn't needed and pointless. Although, I think this is a hint that Al Jean is trying to bring back the show by making the characters face with family problems again like the show used to do all the time in the earlier seasons. But I just didnt think that it was needed in this episode. Other than the third act, this episode was VERY funny! I also liked the wolves huddle! LOL...I also think Al Jean is SLOWLY changing the show. It would be kinda weird to change it in 2 or 3 episodes. i give this episode a 7.3/10! A good episode.

Looking for Inner Peace

HEy Number One is the man.
    Grade: D
    Radiationdude7

Josh wants what it wants.

Highlights of the episode:
    (may not be quoted correctly)

The robotic cop: Don't worry, I'm programmed to talk in a calm and soothing voice to.... DESTROY DESTROY!

Moe with his two "knives'

The "Oh no! She's making him a sandwich" sequence

The cougars huddling

Homer making Lisa talk quiet and then shouting "Whaat?!"

Kinda cool how they continued that old episode. Pretty good episode I thought.

Stonecutter

the plots sement a bit reused but how the 2 plots combined came out great. didnt get funny till the 2nd-3rd acts. the 1st was ok but not great except for the monopoly bit. id like to hear tomaccos review because their pretty good. i think i saw somewhere in one of these forums that he was on vacation or sumthin

4/5
    Last edited by Mr. Plow; 01-06-2002 at 09:13 PM.

Wang Computers employe

I guess it was OK :bored:

^Do not do that^

Leader

Question Anyone catch the chalkboard tonight?

I missed it and I'm curious, what did it say?

I didn't think this episode was that great.......I mean it was like 3 different short episodes in one!! How do you start off with acid rain and then on to drunken wild cats and finally Marge getting furious at Homer and threatning never to talk to him again, but in the end she solves his and her problem of the Vegas mistriss....??? What was goin on?? it sort of reminded me of "Kill The Alligator and Run"....although the humor was pretty good, even though I laughed a lot harder from Futurama that night. Bender as a 1000lb human!!

Junior Camper

ep

I think they skipped the chalkboard part... they used the super short intro.

I was a bit disappointed in this episode... the previous one was much better... but I think the writer might have a lot more to do with it than the executive producer. Although maybe Al Jean just may need some time to get things back on track. Wouldn't it be cool if they could get Conan O'Brien back to write an episode or two? Some of his are genuine classics! "Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!"

Well , anyway tonight's episode I'll give... a C.
    "Do I know what rhetorical means?!"

Somewhere Packing Boxes

I liked the episode overall. Although the shorter intro threw me off (I thought I had three minutes to grab a snack, turns out it was only about half that). The plot took a bunch of tangents, not unlike several episodes recently. But after spending the weekend watching the complete Planet Of The Apes dvd box set, I can handle bizarre plot twists and meaningless tangents with the best of them.
    "Marge, you gotta help me! I need one good deed to get into heaven!"
    "Well, I've got a whole list of chores. Clean the garage, paint the house, grout the ..."
    "Whoa,Whoa,Whoa...I'm just trying to get in. I'm not running for Jesus."

This episode stunk of Scully and yet I couln't stop laughing through much of it. There were any number of great jokes, most of which have already been mentioned, but the plot was all over the place. Where as most of the Scully eps had a disjointed third act, here all three acts seemed almost completely independent of each other. The jokes, however, are hilarious and often reminiscent of the old days. I was particularly happy that they actually used Maggie gags a few times for once. The Homer/Tv antenna bit and the "Honest Abe" crack were terribly reminiscent of the Scully era though, and left me with a compulsion to leave the room.

Basically, Jean has brought back pre-Scully jokes, but left too much Scully plot structure. - 2/5
    Last edited by Nugan; 01-06-2002 at 11:14 PM.

The best part of the episode was Homer running in and out screaming. The episode basically stunk it up, and they threw in another weird ending getting Grampa to marry the Vegas wife. At least it had Homer screaming though.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Coleco
    The best part of the episode was Homer running in and out screaming. The episode basically stunk it up, and they threw in another weird ending getting Grampa to marry the Vegas wife. At least it had Homer screaming though.
    This is the first episode I can honestly say I really don't have an opinion on. The first two acts were funny in goofy way (the good kind) while the third act was very character driven a way more serious than the first 2/3s of the show. However, when put together, this episode had a very weird feel to it.

You can almost say the first two acts were ruined by the very different ending, or you can also say the ending was great compared to the odd first two acts...

Anyway, think of it was peanut butter smeared on broiled shrimp...both are good but put together...

Grade: B

Jake

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

in 19 something and 5 mitch mitchell's Avatar

I liked it, but won't say it ruled or anything. Getting the floozie drunk and getting her to marry Grandpa was pretty cool. Something was missing. Some parts were kind of flat, but the Flanders were awesome as usual. I'd give it a B.

Brawl in the Family had some of the worst writing I've seen in years. They should be ashamed of this one.

grade: F-

Professor PJ Cornucopia's Fantastic Foodmagorium and Great American Steakery

The Whole Damn Show blockyourfather's Avatar

Al Jean did a good job with this one. I love political satire, and this republican was about to die laughing at Bob Dole's speech. Choppy the bear was a riot, the wolves and cougar's huddling was hillarious. The meta-humor didn't seem forced this time for some reason. Grade: A
    Let the fools have their tar-tar sauce.

block

"is this the end of our series?......of adventures?"

So does this mean they are trying to hint at the series ending, is there any truth to this ,or is it rumours, or are they just trying to be funny.
    I hope it doesnt end anytime soon
    Please let me know what you have heard

Pin Pal

Thumbs Up

This is the first show this year I liked from beginning to end. Things appear to be looking up for the show. I wish Ned's Vegas wife could have hung around for future shows.

Ruler of the Underworld

I hated pretty much all of this episode I started to like it more towards the end and there was a few good laughs. Al Jean or not most of it sucked I'll give it a 2/5.

BangBangBart

I gave it a 5/5. Absolutely hilarious! I can't remember the last time i laughed this hard. I lost it big time when the fish were eating each other in the beginning and homer eats them! Marge listening to homer and his other wife making him a sandwich, heh toooooo funny! I'm gonna watch it again later.

I loved this episode...very funny stuff.

as mentioned before the highlights were:

The robotic cop: Don't worry, I'm programmed to talk in a calm and soothing voice to.... DESTROY DESTROY!

Moe with his two "knives'

The "Oh no! She's making him a sandwich" sequence

The cougars huddling

-----------------------------------------

I think that some of you are being way to critical about this show. It seems that now, maybe that you are older, you want the simpsons to be like they were when you first started watching them. Since they aren't you bash on them...shhheshhh.

That is only my theory, but overall I think many peeps need to chill out and just enjoy the simpsons rather than critique every line in it.

peace,
    Steve

Thread Information