View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Jason Fox rules the universe!

57 46.34%
  • 4/5 - As fresh as Paige's pimples

45 36.59%
  • 3/5 - Quincy needs another decent episode

19 15.45%
  • 2/5 - At least it's better than Roger's golf game

2 1.63%
  • 1/5 - Even Andy Fox would get a headache

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Homer the Vigilante

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

Rate & Review: Homer the Vigilante

7/10

One of the weakest episodes of season 5 and like Homer Goes to College, it acted as a precursor for the show's "Golden Age." There's a lot of silliness present in this episode, not to mention one of the most non-sensical (albeit quite amusing) endings in the show's history.

I give it a 7/10, too.
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de español (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

Straight-Shootin' Sonofagun

4/5. It wasn't that bad. Sure, the ending was predicatble, but it had some good jokes, and was still better than anything Scully wrote.

BTW, kudos on the Foxtrot ratings.
    Signatures are so overrated!

I watched this again recently, and realized something: its really almost no different from a lot of Scully's Homer gets a new job episodes. Sure, its a little funnier, but that's about it. Homer's a complete ass in this one, seriously, wanting to take over the world, "bossing everyone around", etc, and is also probably the stupidest he ever was before Scully, save for maybe Homer Goes to College. Plus there's overly wacky stuff, the rest of the town acting much dumber then usual (chasing after the big T is bad even for Springfield), etc.

Still, I just can't hate it. It gets away with its problems mainly because its still pretty funny, and because it was at least done before its formula became the entire show. Still, I couldn't really give it much more then a B/B-.

Edit: I must comment on the above post. Scully's executive producing may not have produced many better ones (though some, like "Cartridge Family", are miles ahead), but as a writer he generally did better stuff then this, before he took over anyway. Lisa on Ice, Lisa's Rival, Marge Be Not Proud, and Lisa's Date with Density are all much better then this episode.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

It did have some good one-liners, but overall it just wasn't that memorable. Not much here but some entertaining goofiness. 3/5

You guys are Crazy Talking! This episode is awesome I gave it a 5/5 one of the best from a great season. I realize that he is a tad Jerkassish in this episode. It was very very humoress. I could watch this over and over.

frogophone

Funny, but flawed. Flawed, but funny. That's the rundown.

B+

wreck on the highway

B+. 4/5. You know how it is, rockin' and rollin'.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Its really one of the worst of the classic era, and the whole thing is actually very scully-ish, but a lot of great humor and the ending save it. 4/5, B-

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

It is very very funny, but ultimately it seems like plot and characterization were put on hold while the writers wrote the best jokes possible.

Saw it for the first time ever a few months ago. I didn't think that it was anything special - but I didn't think it was a poor episode either as it was quite funny in places.

3/5
    Sig Free since '03

Internet, eh? Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar

i rate this around 4/5 probably

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Originally posted by George Cauldron
    It is very very funny, but ultimately it seems like plot and characterization were put on hold while the writers wrote the best jokes possible.
    Agreed. Grade: A/A+

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

HAH!

a lot of the jokes don't work IMO

Homer strangling the stage manager for example

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Originally posted by Mohammed Jafar
    HAH!

a lot of the jokes don't work IMO

Homer strangling the stage manager for example
    Hey, even the best episodes have a failed moment or two. Homer's rapmaster microphone was also slightly lame.

Any other jokes that didn't work? Nope, don't see any, sorry.

spleef

4/5

One of my favorites. Filled with great movie references, wonderful uses of minor characters, and one of the alltime best lines of Homer stupidity: "Oh Kent, anyone can make up statistics, forfty percent of people know that!"

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Originally posted by Mike Scully
    Hey, even the best episodes have a failed moment or two. Homer's rapmaster microphone was also slightly lame.

How about "where did you get that saxophone?" "Sears." "Get him.". Fairly dumb typical Jerkass joke, that one.

Also, the way in which the identity of the cat burglar was made so blindly obvious after the "tooth fairy" bit was pretty lame....

a malcolm and a archer

it was pretty good, but not great. there were much better episodes in S5

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Originally posted by Mike Scully

I thought that was funny.. it only seems kind of lame now because they say "Its Hammer!!", which is really outdated.

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

5/5, I loved this episode.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

I thought the rapmaster gag was hilarious! I know Homer's a bit of a jerk in this one, but I thought there were a lot, and I mean a lot of really funny jokes. Sure, the big T thing was zany, but I loved it. There was a bit of a dull patch between the burglar raiding the home and Homer becoming the vigilante, but I dunno, the episode works almost purely on humour alone. Grampa shone in this one, too. A-

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

5/5 This episode is dear to me,because it was one of the first episodes I saw. Really solid,but there are many episodes of season 5 that are better than this one. "Homer the vigilante" also contains the very first appearence of jerkass Homer,but it was still funny.
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

I'm not too fussed over Jerkass Homer, but I just feel like there is a big chunk missing out of this episode. I'm not quite sure what it is, but it feels quite empty to me. I think this episode could have been better if they focused more on the cat burgular terrorizing the town, rather than Homer's crazy antics (I do love him arresting Flanders). I thought it would have been funnier if the cat burgular was someone we already knew, but I guess that random old guy was all that we got. The ending was great though. I thought this was a very enjoyable episode to watch (and one of my favorites as a kid), but the huge missing part needs to be filled for a top score by me.

3.5/5
    Last edited by BrideofMoleman; 09-16-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Personally I find this episode enjoyable, but at the same time it's one of those episodes that I have seen so much I know what to expect, which makes it on the whole actually less enjoyable than it should be. The beginning and the whole vigilante bit, in my opinion, was well done. The ending, however, seemed to lose it's way, as if the writers had no idea what they were doing with it.

3.5/5
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

This episode was one of the funniest of the season. Although I have not seen the entire movie, the parody of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was great. Homer's stupidity may have been an at an all-time high, but boy was he funny. B+

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Shit...I was gonna give this an A and say "who cares about slight characterization issues" but Mike Scully already did that. Still, I agree this episode is hilarious throughout, and the ending has especially grown on me.

This is one of the first episodes I would show any non-fan.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

One of the great's, I love it when Homer strangles the stagehand and when he and Skinner have their Dragnet speech, I also liked the way Maloy walked, much more vertical than usual
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

2/5
    It get from me Is it simply not funny.

Homer is obviously an idiot, but I never got the feeling that he verged into "Jerk-Ass" territory; he's more characteristic of the "Mirkin Homer" of Seasons 5 and 6.

I see this ep as more of a "Marge vs. the Monorail" type episode, where it's obvious from the very beginning that characterization is being eschewed in favor of continuity-bending gags. If you look at in that regard, I don't think any of Homer's behavior is that excessive or out of line, save for one or two moments.

I watched this one recently, and maybe it's because it came on the heels of the comparatively dry Season 8 episodes I had watched, but man it was hilarious. Two bits always make me laugh out loud: Frink's anti-theft house and his consolation that "the real people won't burn quite as quickly", and Kent Brockman's line that "heavy sack beatings are up a shocking 900 percent".

The only complaint I have with the ep is that the first half of the third act (up until Malloy reveals that he stashed his loot under the Big T) is kind of slow and ruined by too many dumb moments. The ending redeems things though, and the first two acts are so good that it gets an A from me.
    When the weight of the world has got you down and you want to end your life.
    Bills to pay, a dead-end job, and problems with the wife.
    But don't throw in the towel, 'cuz there's a place right down the block
    Where you can drink your misery away...

At Flaming Moe's (Let's all go to Flaming Moe's...)
    When liquor in a mug (Let's all go to Flaming Moe's...)
    Can warm you like a hug. (Flaming Moe's...)
    And happiness is just a Flaming Moe away...
    Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away...

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Extremely outlandish and not very funny. Just rather stupid and the only redeeming quality was that the thief in question was actually quite an entertaining and humorous one, although he wasn't very original and at times seemed like a Sideshow Bob knockoff. 2/5

Thread Information