View Poll Results: How do you rate tonight's first episode?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • (5/5) The awesome

33 18.75%
  • (4/5) Pretty good

69 39.20%
  • (3/5) Meh

50 28.41%
  • (2/5) Somewhat ungood

15 8.52%
  • (1/5) what? Bring on Moe Baby Blues plz

9 5.11%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: The Bart of War (Season Finale Part 1, EABF16)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Btw, the "chaotic and strange" comment was referring to this episode, not "Marge". Just to clarify.

Homer5000: I think the 43 episodes thing was more or less a satirical exxagaration, as they make so few episodes and so sporadically (despite that the aninamation is so cheap to make) and then rerun them ad nauseum. Course, it could've also been meant to be similar to the 132 episodes thing. Funny how both shows have lampooned each other, and both in a rough yet loving manner. As for Ned's comment, that was also a joke I think, since obviously Ned wouldn't say something like that. But it wasn't a bad out of character joke by any means, and didn't sacrifice his character in my eye, since it wasn't THAT out of character and was funny.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

I think I agree with DotheBartman and co. above. I think this episode was incredibly clever, with the underlying theme mentioned very prevalent. I stick by my praises of this fantastic episode, which I thought was a perfect foil to Moe Baby Blues. This one was topical, with the kind of upper-class humor we got in episodes from seasons of olde. Moe Baby Blues had some slapstick, and was overall not an epsode for a thinking man. It was very straightforward, with no really subtle humor or things to pick apart and commentate on. Fabulous end to an above average season.

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
    I don't think subtle satire can be used to explain Otto's "show me your boobs" line. I can see the rest of your points, right now my score stands at 7/10
    That line honestly didn't bug me, since I think it was more to be about Otto's character then to be a boob joke. Plus, it actually could be argued that it was to help keep the entire scene in check. The Springfieldians may briefly be holding hands and loving each other, but at the end of the day, they're still themselves, and will riot again and do what they always do, including wanting to look at womens' boobs in some cases.

One other, unrelated thing I noticed: Mel took the bone out of his hair. Guess the gum wore off. And I think Nelson's dad was designed wrong (compared to past eps), but oh well. Wizard did it.

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

Yeah I guess your right, it just felt to me like the writers wanted to remind me of Kill the Alligator and Run.

Pretty good, not bad at all. A few really good jokes. Not as good as moe baby blues, but still good.
    Post powered by:

I know I've posted here a lot, but I have another random thought:

At the end everyone suddenly praises Canada, which seems to confuse a lot of people, including myself. But perhaps we all missed the point itself. Canada is known for being very peaceful and doesn't start wars, unlike the american administrations Bart and Milhouse cherish. But, in our current war, Canada hasn't been a particularly stark rival to the actions of the U.S. unlike France, etc. Everyone in Springfield apparently worships them for the nonviolence, but perhaps by specifically using our neighbor to the north as an example, the writers were attacking Canada for largely keeping quiet and not helping to sway things? Or perhaps its the opposite: by not attacking our policy ala France, they actually act as a better example, as they don't get into pointless rivalry (ala all the groups in this ep), and therefore set an example in their own way?

Man, this episode keeps getting better.

frogophone

I noticed some of the same things upon contemplating the episode, DtB. Reviewing some of my other grading this season (especially comparing with my grade for Brake My Wife), it's a B- turnout.

I think what happened was that Baby Blues outshined it, and affected my grading.

Originally posted by DotheBartman
    I know I've posted here a lot, but I have another random thought:

At the end everyone suddenly praises Canada, which seems to confuse a lot of people, including myself. But perhaps we all missed the point itself. Canada is known for being very peaceful and doesn't start wars, unlike the american administrations Bart and Milhouse cherish. But, in our current war, Canada hasn't been a particularly stark rival to the actions of the U.S. unlike France, etc. Everyone in Springfield apparently worships them for the nonviolence, but perhaps by specifically using our neighbor to the north as an example, the writers were attacking Canada for largely keeping quiet and not helping to sway things? Or perhaps its the opposite: by not attacking our policy ala France, they actually act as a better example, as they don't get into pointless rivalry (ala all the groups in this ep), and therefore set an example in their own way?

Man, this episode keeps getting better.
    I strongly doubt they were bashing Canada, that's for sure. If anything, as they said, they were pointing out how they jump to violence too quickly in the US to resolve problems.
    Signature.

Originally posted by Tomacco
    I strongly doubt they were bashing Canada, that's for sure. If anything, as they said, they were pointing out how they jump to violence too quickly in the US to resolve problems.
    Yeah, I'm leaning more toward that, and Canada being a REAL example of, well, a good example, unlike other countries like France that are well meaning, but ultimately perhaps add fuel to the fire.

Originally posted by Clown without Pity
    I never knew Flanders was a Beatles fan .
    Well, in that THOH segment that featured Y2K, when everyone was in church fearing the end of the world, Flanders says something like, "I resisted this for 36 years, why did I have to wear these Beatle Boots today?"

frogophone

A lot of it seemed to be commentary on how violent the national psyche seems to be... How we "declare war" on everything, springs to mind (War on Cancer, War on Drugs, War on Terrorism).

Pin Pal

I found this episode to be very, very funny and in the end quite satirical. I found Homer's Indian chief to be the best part, but what made this episode shine was the satirizing of America's foreign policy. As DoTheBartman and others have already been discussing, I took the comments made at the end, as well as singing the Canadian national anthem to be a comment on war (Not this war, but war in general) being an opiate for the masses. It gives them something to root for, and take their minds off of things the same way cartoon violence does (which ties into the beginning with the great South Park parody). Even though it was quite funny, I still found it to drag in the middle causing me to grade this episode a 4/5 (which I seem to give a lot).

Maddog.

I liked it. It had an alright story, nothing spectacular. And the jokes didn't have me bursting with laughter, but it had a lot of good quick laughs to make up for it. Nelson just wasn't right though, he's shown a lapse in his bully character before, but this sort of crossed something. The South Park spoof was pretty weak (though I did enjoy how it was Cartman who got killed. Although I'm not sure if it was on purpose, it looked like an in-joke for South Park fans). Homer's jealousy was pointless at the beginning, but got some meaning during the end when he helped get their revenge. Could've ended better, but it was enough.
    Enjoyable. 3/5

Monkey HOUSE

LOL Great Show

Ralph: "I'm a brick"

I cracked up when I saw the way he flew through that window!

Another classic episode.
    Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These fucking amateurs... Walter

Kurt Vanhoueten had the best line of the episode.
    "Looks like i woke up on the wrong side of the futon."
    A classic divorced male line. (even though before he slept on a race car.)
    5 out of 5 for me. I went into viewing happy and came out happier.

I thought both episodes were pretty decent tonight however Ned's Beatles shrine made it all worth while for me. All the actual memorabillia in the background was awesome. I'm a huge Beatles fan so each different refence was great. Seeing Milhouse go through the Lennon stages was hilarious. I'm sure that room will never be seen again, however it would be terrific if it made another appearance in the future.

frogophone

Agreed. That set piece, and the gags from it really is the humor standout of the episode. Bart and Milhouse trying to sneak away in the Yellow Submarine had me in tears.

homer989

i give it 3 because its not bad but the storyline could be improved

I thought the mix of humor and social commentary made it one of the best episodes of the year. The Beatles stuff was great and the comments about Indians and war made good points. The Moe episode was good, but completely predictable, and it was purely emotional, no real commentary. I was actually surprised by the ending of Bart of War.

jiggle silly

Originally posted by comicbookgoy
    The Moe episode was good, but completely predictable, and it was purely emotional, no real commentary.
    Golly, it's a cartoon, not a discourse by Marx & Engels.

The Boy Who Lived

Hey! Get your hands off my wife's ex-husband!

a malcolm and a archer

i thought it was a decent episode with some great humor throughout, spaced more or less equally over the course of the episode, and there was also some good emotion with marge crying. the plot i thought was pretty solid and flowed well for the most part. 4/5

now for my opinion on the ending. i may be the only one who thinks this, but in addition to it being a funny joke aimed at the bush administration and its warlike ways, i saw it as al jeans way of apologizing for last season's The Bart Wants What It Wants, which disappointed many canadians. he may have been pushed more to do this with thoughts that he would make up for the trip to Toronto.either way i felt the ending was a bit way out there with the riot that definitely felt like something from Scully.

pretty good episode featuring BART,the couch scene was pretty good too.4/5

A fabulous episode! The opening scenes were great, especially Flanders' Beatles memorabilia. The scenes with Homer as the leader of the Pre-Teen Braves were great ("I will bet no more forever"), as well as Marge taking over. Ralph had some of the best lines ("You smell like dead bunnies""I'm a brick!"), and the last act brought things to a nice end (I loved the Canada bit). In all, great penultimate episode to Season 14. 4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
    Fuck typos Im drunhk.
    My DeviantArt.

Junior Camper

4/5. VG ep. I loved how it took a self-referent approach. The laxative joke was just brilliant. Looks like the writers are starting to use their noggins again.

Secretary of Partying Down

Yeah,

Some good jokes, but the plot and the middle of the ep. really were kinda lame.

I did like learning new stuff about Ned, his beattle boots reference in the past is now validated. "They were bigger than Jesus!".

The violence in this ep. was hilarious as well. I really liked it when Ralph got kicked in the head. He went down like a sack of potatoes, I can tell you that much.

The fight at the end was great...Tatum vs. Moe, Homer kickin' ass on Kirk was excellent.

Did anybody love the way Barney stepped up and kicked Pyro's ass when Pyro jumped Homer...what a good friend.

Did like it okay, but there were many flaws.

apparso come un fantasma Roarke's Avatar

4.5/5. -0.5 for a little problem I had with plot flow.

As far as the ending, I didn't notice anything wrong at all, and felt similar to what DTB was saying about it in his last post

Still, Moe Baby Blues was better

Junior Camper

Great Episode, one of my favs for sure, My fav part was when tatum was sizing up moe "aw how did this happen"

drugdealer keeper awayer Hapablap's Avatar

4/5 good plot great jokes, many of which were rather subtle, I'm lovin' it. The whole Beatles thing was completely unexpected and very much welcome. I have nothing to complain about except the brawl at the end was a bit much, even that had its funny moments though especially Moe standing in front of Tatum. I especially liked the, scuse the term, "tounge in cheek" ending, thinking wow, thats probably gonna rustle some feathers. Viva Simpsons!

Junior Camper

Although not as great as Moe baby blues, still very good. It really felt like an episode from the "good ol'days". Not terrible funny, but down to earth storyline, and imo a very nice ending....

Thread Information