View Poll Results: How would you rate "Barting Over"?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5

14 6.83%
  • 2/5

32 15.61%
  • 3/5

58 28.29%
  • 4/5

75 36.59%
  • 5/5

26 12.68%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Barting Over" (EABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

be like the squirrel. 1completeidiot's Avatar

i liked the episode. butterfinger joke was great. tony hawk was ok. blink 182 is my main problem, they served no point at all and were just worthless.

4/5.

All By Me Onesies

3.5/5

I thought it was slightly above average. Nothing too great. What in the fuck was the point of Blink 182 anyway? They did jack shit and wasted 20 seconds of my time. e.e

1st act was pure awesomeness. Best ep of season. I felt like it deserved to be a season 9 episode. Awesome ep, 5/5 for me. =D

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

7.5/10

Pros
    -Butterfinger meta-ref
    -Chalkboard gag
    -Crouching Tiger inspired skateboard climax
    -Casablanca homage
    -Old Nelson laughing on Homer's grave

Cons
    -Ending is somewhat forced

slouching toward nirvana nathan's Avatar

2.5/5 it was just "ok" the micheal jackson spoof, butterfinger comercial refrence and marge saying "Hmm I coul have sworn it was 302" where the only reasons it didnt get a one. Im spelling as fast as I cam was WAYYY better.

Stonecutter

5/5 ^_^ I really enjoyed this episode, especially the ending.

It was a decent episode. Someof the jokes were really good:

The Butterfinger gag and the 302 gag were made me laugh out loud.

3/5

4/5

Very good,watchable episode.

cliche the end is near defrocked's Avatar

The Casablanca parody was very well done.

5/5 from me....as always. This episode was great.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

Now, if you're all wondering, I didn't like this episode one bit. I won't codemn it entirely, though. Why? Well, believe it or not, I thought the plot was actually good. Really. I thought it made enough sense, and was well structured and had a good pace to it. I especially liked it when Bart was in his loft, thinking about his family and how he missed them. That, to me, was good manipulation of emotion, and was also good storytelling.

If the episode were based upon those things alone, it would be a good one. However, the jokes were TERRIBLE. Lisa summoning that one demon with the book, Homer and Tony Hawk fighting on the boards like in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (c'mon, you could tell!), Homer and Marge getting "dirty"...ugh. And I really didn't like how the guest stars were used, especially Tony Hawk. I mean, they refered to him as "skateboarding legend Tony Hawk", or at least something like that, and when I heard Bart say that particular phrase, I shuddered. The two obvious meta-references (the Butterfinger one and the 300th episode thing) were just awful. There were a few saving graces, such as Milhouse's "cuddling" with that one toy dog, but those were few and spaced far apart.

Overall, a very lousy episode. Definitely not the worse the Simpsons has had to offer, but still not good. 2/5. At least "I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can" put any bad taste from this one out of my mouth.

By the way, when Hawk was going down the set of ramps for the very first time, the episode jumped from that to Homer talking to Hawk (before they dueled). Does anyone know what happened between those two events, or was it just nothing at all to worry about?

Oh yes, I noticed they were adding references from other various forms of entertainment again (the Casablanca one, for example). Even though I thought they didn't really fit in, at least they're trying to add things like this.
    Last edited by Handsome Pete; 02-16-2003 at 06:35 PM.
    This week's Invention Exchange:
    Cake 'N Shake: the cake with a real exotic dancer, all in one box!
    "Now even mom, dad, and the kids can enjoy a Chippendale dancer at little Jimmy's seventh birthday!

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

*grumble* I'm the only person so far who's voted 1/5, but I really couldn't stand this forced, empty, utterly pointless, guest-star-studded storyline. Other than fun pop culture references in the first act (Butterfinger, Michael Jackson's baby-dangling) and some OK emotional moments throughout, there was NOTHING worthwhile or Simpsonian about this episode. Grade: D

I'll write more detailed comments later.

Handsome Pete and Mike Scully , you crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy, abused, crazy, crazy, crazy children.

Ape, that episode sucked. The ONLY reasons I didn't give it a 1/5 was the 1st act, the butterfinger thingm, and Marge's 302 comment.

Junior Camper

I'm surprised no one talked about this joke yet:

"Warning: side-effects may inculude loss of scalp and penis."

Definitely one of the better jokes of The Simpsons.

Overall, I give it a 4/5. True, the blink-182 guest appearance was shitty and pointless. But, I liked the it when they made fun of Bart keeping Tony Hawk not low profile.

Bart: "Tony Hawk! Tony Hawk!"
    Milhouse: "Tony Hawk?! Where?!"
    Bart: "Shh! Keep it low profile! See ya, Tony Haaaawk!"

^^^Something like that.

Yeah, and the 302 gag was funny, the drug dealers were funny, the Butterfinger reference was funny, the Michael jackson baby-dangling scene was hilarious("See? When I flip the pictures backwards, I'm saaaaving you!"). I laughed when Bart started to strangle Homer with his belt.

VERY good episode.

I see.. well, it consistantly made me lol and I enjoyed the plot and everything.. and thats why I gave it 5/5. I haven't see Spelling yet (im watching it at 10:30) and by the looks of it it will be better than Barting Over. But I still enjoyed it immensely.

spleef

Good-
    Blue Haired Lawyer appearence
    Meta-Meta-Reference
    NO lame "congrats" from celebs as advertised
    The funniest chalkboard gag of all time
    Good parodies/references/satires

Bad-
    Blink 182's cameo (pointless)

Ugly-
    Well, since they had EXTREME guests and EXTREME parodies, I guess they just had to have EXTREME jerkass Homer. Even though it was important to the plot, it still felt overdone.

And in-between-
    Tony Hawk's cameo. Nice to see that it just wasn't a few lines, it made some sense, gave us some laughs, and added to the plot.

Questions:
    Spoiler sites said Homer spent it naming a star after the family, but then it went supernova. Cut out for time maybe?

The 300th WoS playset concepts at Toy Fair showed Skinner on boxer shorts. Another thing cut out?

huh?

There was pretty good jokes with the couch gag and the Butterfingers. It was good and had its moments in the first two acts, but in the end it just became surreal and the ending was rushed. 3/5

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Originally posted by Handsome Pete
    And I really didn't like how the guest stars were used, especially Tony Hawk. I mean, they refered to him as "skateboarding legend Tony Hawk",
    I know what you mean, I really hate this. You can already tell the whole point of the episode was the hype of the guest stars, but then they have to push it further by practically advertising their name. How many times did Bart shout Tony Hawk's name? I'm surprised they didn't say "Hey look! Its hugely popular alternative pop punk rock band, Blink 182!!!" when they appeared.

Oh yeah, after a second viewing of "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation", I hate it even more. Its nothing but 23 minutes of hype for the guest stars.

What's this about jerkass Homer?
    I thought he was characterized well in this one! The angry side of him was shown, as well as his loving and sensitive side.

By the way, I loved the Martin tatoo joke. That was a quality gag!
    Signature.

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

I also thought Homer was handled rather well in a I Am Furious (Yellow)-type of anger. His "Why you little..."'s in the courtroom were very funny. This isn't the Jerkass Homer we saw in Pray Anything.

i agree with tomacco.

what is with people proud of the blue hair lawyer (evil lawyer) returning? He was in Pray Anything, no? He is used several times a season (more now that Phil is gone).
    I'm back.

4/5.

I thought it was pretty damned good.

Very Little Blink = Better.

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

3/5 to 3.5/5, a couple very strong acts to begin the episode but too many wacky moments in the 3rd one plus a tacked on ending. Blink wasn't even needed...

But there were several gags which made me laugh/chuckle, unlike some Simpsons episodes in recent seasons. Average to slightly above average in regards to the other Season 14 eps.

Junior Camper

Wow I thought that episode was great, yet so many think it sucked or was just ok. If you want to watch an episode that sucked then you should have (and probably did) watch the episode after the 300th.

In Sane We Trust

4/5

Good Episode. A lot better than I thought it be.

HAPPY 20th ANNIVERSARY TO THE SIMPSONS!

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

Could this be the end of the chalkboard gag!? Why else would Bart take an axe to it?

This episode was great. Not too great to get a 4/5, but better than a 3/5, so inbetween 3/5 and 4/5. Good characterizations, good jokes, yadda, yadda, yadda, and it actually came out better than I'd hoped for since I thought it'd be some guest star filled episode. Tony Hawk was decent as a guest star, but they did mention him a bit too much, which was annoying. Blink 182 on screen for about 5 seconds, great. I would've liked 'em to never have been on The Simpsons at all since they suck cellulite-filled ass, but a very short guest spot is good enough for me.

"I'm Spelling..." was better, though.
    yep.

Well, here we go again....

This episode, in its first two acts, wasn't BAD per se. There were some good isolated jokes here and there (the courtroom doll joke was priceless, as was the Butterfinger thing...I admit it, a meta ref that's actually not painful to see). But, as usual, I just wasn't that engaged. The really good jokes themselves were too far and few between, with some duds in between, and, while Bart's development was decent in the second act (I actually STARTED to feel for the kid), overall I just didn't feel that engaged.

And then it fell apart.

Starting with the last minute or two of the second act, I just about wanted to change the channel through the rest of the episode. Tony Hawk's appearance was WAY overdone, and the Blink 182 appearance was equally pathetic. Plus, the "emotion" was suddenly washed away for crap about Homer and Hawk in a skateboard battle and a bunch of "funny" jokes. I dare say I barely chuckled at ANY of the gags in the last act.

An at first decent but boring episode that completely falls apart.
    Grade: D
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Creamy Goodness

I loved it! Best one this season!

Loses Pants, Life Bob Underdunk T's Avatar

4/5
    The only thing I'll add is that the one thing that ruined Tony's part was Bart saying "Are you skateboarding legend Tony Hawk?" instead of just "Are you Tony Hawk?" I can't remember if those were his exact words, but it was something close, and it felt like a Scully-era guest spot. It made the whole thing way too fake.
    Last edited by Bob Underdunk T; 02-16-2003 at 07:54 PM.

Thread Information