View Poll Results: How do you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll
  • (5/5) Divine

35 14.64%
  • (4/5) Not God-ly, but good

72 30.13%
  • (3/5) Lord, I expected better. Why did you betray me?

59 24.69%
  • (2/5) Do you want a happy God or a vengeful God?

44 18.41%
  • (1/5) Simply God-awful

29 12.13%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: Pray Anything (EABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

pretty rad

Rate/Review: Pray Anything (EABF06)

Hey, folks. Please review tonight's new episode in this very nicely-made thread here.

this thread will remain closed until the finish of tonight's episode. also, whoever wants to change my 'meh' poll options can do so.
    Last edited by Andy; 02-09-2003 at 12:50 AM.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

Pray Anything:

Pros
    -Good premise
    -Noticeable, and more compact plot
    -No Jerkass Homer (exept to Flanders, which is in-character)
    -More witty lines
    -In character Lovejoy and Flanders
    -I felt it really tied together nicely with Colonel Sanders

Cons
    -Richtexan

5/5. Couldnt have hoped for much better from this ep. I'm rating it based on what I thought it could amount to. On another scale, it was about 3/5 due to not very many laugh out loud moments.

Post Classified As: First In Thread!

(Beep)
    Last edited by Old Sam; 02-09-2003 at 05:34 PM.
    "according to the 9/11 commission report, beamer actually said the words "roll it," apparently referring to a food cart being used as a battering ram"

cliche the end is near defrocked's Avatar

2/5 A few pretty funny parts amidst so much lame.

Dreadful.
    1/5
    Seriously that sucked.

boooooooooooooooooooooooo, worst of season.

2/5, coz of their fox bashing and the "holly shi.." part.
    Last edited by Toxic Monkey; 02-09-2003 at 05:36 PM.

Stonecutter

This was a very MEH episode. Not very many good jokes. The only part I laughed at was the Blackboard. WTF was up with that speaking in Tongues shit... that was kinda stupid.

Did anyone notice when Lovejoy was driving away, it just seemed the animators got lazy and just dragged the car down the road? It lookec ompletely lame.

Rodent of Unusual Size HellBender's Avatar

3/5

An average episode with a few good jokes. But nothing great

what's an applebees Necromancer's Avatar

That was painful. 2/5

i am the killer dressed in pilgrim's clothing.

Ewww... 2/10
    Last edited by Stackhouse; 11-28-2003 at 02:03 PM.

Junior Camper

Rather good, however flanders seemed a bit off and gay, as did moe.

not too bad. not too good. some good jokes. an interesting episode, but it lacked enough jokes to keep me attached. nice to here maggie rosewell (if that is indeed her name) as Helen.
    I'm back.

Jumped The Shark

Actually this was the best Homer episode of this season. I thought the story was pretty good, didn't get too wacky, and Homer was not overly jerky. The only thing this episode lacked were many truly great jokes and am abrupt ending. I'd put this episode in the upper half of this season's episodes.

awesome episode

Arr Matey,

This just goes to further the proof that the episodes this season are turning out to be the opposite of our anticipation. I thought this episode might actually be good

I found it pretty stupid to begin with, no real tie-in between scenes, idiotic. Not only was it offensive to a multitude of people, it was offense in a way that makes you angry at it. In previous years it had been with class, this was just a bunch of random things thrown in.

I can't describe it further because there wasn't any real redeaming points. I laughed at the ending scene just for the shear oddity of it but nothing else.

1.5/5. Did we really need a 15 second shock scene? It had already been done about 4 episodes ago.
    Marge: Homer, has the weight loss tape reduced your appetite?
    Homer: Ah, lamentably no. My gastronomic rapacity knows no satieties.

a malcolm and a archer

didnt meet my expectations. it wasnt very funny at all. no really good religion jokes. the carl scene was terrible i want to forget this one and look forward to barting over.

2.5/5

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit more than the last two. There were some lame jokes and Homer was a bit of a jerkass at times, but I really thought it worked out well. I laughed out loud several times. I also enjoyed the element of divine mystery that this episode captured.

The third act was a bit lagging, but this episode was an improvement. Would've loved to see Hutz play that lawyer, though.

Rating: 4/5

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

"Spongebob is not a contraceptive" = funny chalkboard gag, and good jab at the annoying Spongebob fad! Hey that rhymes!

couch gag = ???

As seems to be the trend lately (especially in The Great Louse Detective), act one was nothing more than a series of gags, most of which were really lame, with things such as Moe wanting to marry Gil as a basketball, more annoying TV parodies (that really aren't funny anymore - you cant just make up any random TV show idea and say "ON FOX!" and expect it to be funny), Homer's annoying whining and screaming, and the monkey throwing the diaper at the judge. Almost every gag in the 1st act was either childish, stupid, or meant for shock value. I'm really sick of the entire first act being nothing more than a series of loosely connected gags.

Then, we get into the main plot in act 2... or, at least, I thought it was going to. This episode was really all over the place. First, Homer keeps praying. Then, their house is unsuitable to live in AGAIN, because of some stupid reason. How many times has the Simpsons home had problems? Its a plot device that they've used WAY too many times. So, the rest of the episode is filled with more terribly lame gags, and the flood?? WTF?? I realize its supposed to be like Noah's arc, but I was hoping they wouldn't make it *that* biblical. The entire town also flooded in like 1 minute! This, along with last week's "Strong Arms of the Ma" and many episodes recently, is the type where I think "ok, this has got to be a dream or something!" But it never is! And you know what else is stupid? God flooded the town because of a simple beer party! Nobody was really doing anything super evil, they were just getting drunk! The whole flood thing was totally ridiculous. This episode felt preachy, unlike the other religion episodes, which discussed religious topics, not shoved them down your throat.

So, this episode pretty much had all the problems that plague the new episodes: too much surrealism (yeah, I know the flood is a biblical story, but still), a plot thats all over the place, no real focus of a conflict (or too many conflicts rather than one focused one), rushed ending, poor characterisation (like making Flanders seem gay just for a stupid joke) and lame joke after lame joke. When I say lame joke, I mean it - I only laughed once or twice this entire episode. Also, this episode seemed very rude and hate-filled... I want the Simpsons to cheer me up, not make me mad.

1/5: F - A total throwaway episode, my new worst of the season.
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 02-11-2003 at 08:57 PM.

3/5
    I thought it was pretty good, and not as wacky as I feared it would be.
    Pros
    -Homer playing air guitar with the cross
    -Church beer blast
    -Rod and Tod speaking in tongues
    -Gil and Moe
    Cons
    -Texan dancing (totally stupid)
    -Some of the jokes fell a bit flat and seemed akward

Why do I get the feeling that some religious groups are going to be in a tiff over this episode?

I was very disappointed. At a glance, almost nothing was funny or clever. The only two noticeable exeptions were Lovejoy's "Holy shiiiiiiiining light", and that deligthful godly ending.

2/5. I am so pumped for the 300th episode next week though.

See You Space Cowboy.....

(1/5) Simply God-awful

Stappled together plot that was an excuse to tell joke after joke. Another Homer is an idiot episode. Flanders has become a shallow one trait gag character.

I did find the Buddha joke humorus and it did show the writing staff remebers what faith Lisa is.
    S1.3 LIS+++ BOB++ BAR++ BUR+
    f+++ Ips $+++ 7F19, 2F15, 3F22, 3F02, 3F07 M1981

"The strength of the show is the characters - that's the strength of any good show. Since they've gotten more mainstream, they keep wanting to go for the easy laughs, the stupid jokes. I think it's the wrong move, and an insult to the intelligence of the audience." - Yeardley Smith

A very mixed bag of an episode.
    The WNBA game didn't eat up too much time, and the Gil/Mascot gag made it worth it. They jumped to the theme of the episode pretty fast, and therefore didn't waste much time. However, the third act spent a lot of time on randomness, which detracted from the episode. Most of the cons were in this act, particularly the Rod and Todd speaking in tongues, the two of every animal gag, the strip poker (what the hell was that?), and Carl worshipping the deer head.
    I felt Homer was a bit of a "jerkass" in this episode actually, more than usual this season. I've also noticed this season they've been forcing Homer's "Mmmms" a lot. There's been about 8 of them this season alone, contrary to about 8 between seasons 11-12. However, Lovejoy's participation in the episode was nice, as well as Ned.

Well, all in all the story was pretty good. I didn't mind the flooding so much. I thought it was much worse in "Mom and Pop Art". The ending was fine. The episode's biggest problem was that too many jokes fell flat, or maybe there just weren't enough jokes in general. Basically, very few laughs, but fairly solid and original storyline.

3/5 - Could have been better, with humor mostly.
    Signature.

pretty rad

Tonight's episode was pretty funny, and it's probably one of the better ones this year... but the third act was rather mmm... far-fetched. It almost seemed like they wanted to tack on Lisa's 'scientific' explanations to make the scene the least bit realistic. But still, the rest had some very funny moments.

Where's the Beef?

I love every episode but this one8 didn't really work much for me. The concept worked but didn't follow through. My favorites were Basketball Gil which was good only a short time and a joke that actually slips my mind so it couldn't have been that good. 3/5 third worst behind Treehouse and Helter Shelter.

I thought it was great until the very end....Would have been a lot better if Homer just lost the church with Flanders suing Homer for all of the stuff that he's stole over the years, or have the bear from the bear patrole episode come invade the place.

I hate the idea that there can't be a conclusion that is "anti-religion"

Wow.. quite a bit of mixed reviews.

Another amazing episode 5/5. I won't read anymore comments about these new episodes because it is clear that many of you enjoy saying bad things about the show. For the hard work with writing and producing these episodes... i feel they are amazing and better then any other program on tv.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

Praise be the glory of God! I loved this episode, and as I have still yet to see EABF02, "Special Edna", this edges out DABF18, "Large Marge" as my Season 14 favorite. I seriously felt like I was watching something from the Oakley-Weinstein era. Great gags, great plot, great animation, and a great ending that wasn't totally out of the blue (well, in a way it was, but you know what I mean). I loved seeing Homer's reversion to a man of God, and all the different things he prayed for. The smaller things were good too - Lisa Leslie's guest appearance, Gil as Ms. Swish, that lawyer character (who will definetely be the episode bio in my guide page for this one), Lovejoy preaching at the Bowl-A-Rama, and every Flanders scene was dead-on accurate for his character. Seeing how Homer redid the church was great. And I loved all the minor character appearances (Gil, Colonel Tex, SLH, Dr. Nick, Lenny and Carl, Helen Lovejoy, Wiseguy, Rod and Todd, etc.) All in all, a sensational classic - I hope we see more of Neal Boushell in the future. 5/5!

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

Junior Camper

It was okay, I'd say about 4/5.

It was a lower episode in this season, but it was still pretty good.

Stonecutter

An odd, but funny episode. I need to rewatch it again though, since I didn't really catch all the jokes. Some fell pretty flat. 4/5.

our backs against the wall

a mixed-bag episode for me, a lot of jokes fell flat mostly all of the Moe jokes (what the hell where those about?) but I think a plus for this episode was that it was very plot driven. Rev Lovejoy and Flanders played very good roles in the episode. I didn't really mind the flood I thought it tied into the episode well. And I loved the ending with God and Kernal Sanders that was hilarious. OVERALL- 3.5/5

Thread Information