View Poll Results: How would you rate

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5: If he cut himself, he wouldn't know how to bleed.

4 2.04%
  • 2/5: Graduate of the University of Phoenix

17 8.67%
  • 3/5: G.E.D, or Similar

45 22.96%
  • 4/5: Knowing what truly Matters

83 42.35%
  • 5/5: He stole your diary

47 23.98%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Dad Who Knew Too Little" (EABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I don't think this episode is that great and I wasn't a big fan of the plot.

There were a handful of good jokes scattered around, so 3/5

Groin-grabbingly transcedent Uosdwis R. Jewoh's Avatar

3/5 only thought it was decent though maybe its because i've seen it so many times

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

3/5. An average episode.

Banned

"lisa is a girl at my school" I love ralph, wish he was my son

Blog Entries

One of my favorites, as Rock Strongo is my witness, I gives this episode a 5 outta 5
    Extra stars for the creative use of black shoe polish

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

The first act with the birthday video was just hilarous.

The other acts were ok in comparison, but still enjoyable.

3/5

Blog Entries

It's a shame that an episode whose plotline implies it's meant to be moving has its only significant flaw just in the writing of the emotional moments. I cringed more than anything when Homer drew polish tears in his face. I mean, why does a scene about one character feeling bad for another need an absurd attempt at cheap visual humor?

On the other hand, this was a solid one. The conflict and characterizations were spot-on (I think it's one of the most sincere and down-to-earth conflicts that have come up in the Jean era), and the way it was developed was enjoyable and thrilling despite ruining so much good emotion with unfitting jokes. The humor was nothing special but it made the whole experience entertaining, and has arguably some of the best lines and dialogues of the post-classic seasons. But the lack of consistency in key moments turned what could have been an outstanding episode into a good though forgettable one. 8.5/10
    Last edited by qwertyuio; 04-01-2010 at 02:31 PM.
    Season 21 ratings (A.K.A. Qwert's Generic Sig Vol. II)

Homer The Whopper 7/10 Bart Gets A 'Z' 8.5/10 The Great Wife Hope 9/10 Treehouse Of Horror XX 9.17/10
    The Devil Wears Nada 9.5/10 Pranks And Greens 6.5/10 Rednecks And Broomsticks 7.5/10 Oh Brother, Where Bart Thou? 8.5/10
    Thursdays With Abie 5.5/10 Once Upon A Time In Springfield 10/10 Million Dollar Maybe 4.5/10 Boy Meets Curl 6/10
    The Color Yellow 9/10 Postcards From The Wedge 9.5/10

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 14 continues with yet another Homer and Lisa story! This time it is Lisa's Birthday and she wants an electronic Turbo Diary. When Homer fails to get her one he instead makes a video about her with totally wrong information. Lisa is hurt as she feels her dad knows nothing about her. Homer hires a detective named Dexter Colt to learn everything he can about Lisa. Homer uses the knowledge to successfully bond with her, but the two are on the run from the law after Homer refuses to pay Colt. In the end he and Lisa succeed in capturing Colt and clearing their names.

Before I actually talk about this episode proper I need to point out one of its best scenes and a significant reason why this one is kinda special to me. My father was a pretty big fan of the show in its early years but stopped watching consistently before Season 10, maybe earlier. However his favorite character is Nelson and one day many years ago I was watching this one in syndication and he happened to come by when Nelson says "Get bent Sheamus!" and instantly cracked up. He enjoyed the entire scene down to the Snow White picture. To this day if my dad ever talks with me about the show the very latest joke he'll ever reference is either this or another Nelson-esque scene in an episode later on this season which I'll point out in that one's review. So yeah, I love that scene.

Anyway, I have always found this episode to be very funny and have a nice story. We've had numerous Homer and Lisa relationship episodes before and after this but that doesn't hurt this one. The first act is probably the best with the two great videos. The Lisa one and her obsession with McNuggets is particularly hilarious though. Plus the conflict established as we end act 1, again while not totally original, feels real! Aside from that the Dexter Colt character provides some solid laughs mostly from his investigation scenes like the mentioned Nelson one or the Ralph one. Homer goes to great, if misguided, lengths to show his daughter he cares for her and his efforts prove at times sweet and hilarious which is perhaps the most I will ask out of episodes with the two as the focus.

Overall the best episode of the season so far, 4.5/5 rounded up to a 5 on the poll.

Will Cosby Impersonator Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3/5
    A very average episode. The whole Homer and Lisa bonding thing has been been done too many times although I usually don't mind but this particular episode really wasn't as good as previous homer and Lisa bond episodes.
    But I could not stop laughing at Lisa birthday video that homer made.
    I'm sheriff "Lisa Simpson" and I sure do love "Mcnuggets"

This episode was good. It had some funny stuff, but partly wasn't funny.

I loved the first act of the episode-it had lots of great gems, like the Cribz parody ("We were supposed to be filming this TODAY?"), Bart's laser pointer, Homer's free sample romp to "Pipeline" (I recently heard it in "Moms I'd Like to Forget"), Rod/Todd's spaceman video ("... and diabetes! That's cool! Let's party! Dah doo doo doo dah dah..."), and best of all, "Lisa Simpson The Motion Picture" "Maggie!", "Magazines!", "McNuggets", "McNuggets.... Mmm, McNuggets."

The second act was okay. We got to see Homer's romp around the big city, we finally felt proud for Lisa because she was doing all of her favorite stuff, and there wasn't much more to that.

Third act? It's okay too. The homeless part of the act had previously been initiated in "Cape Feare", so it's good, but not funny. Cletus' wild animal fatigue was a nice touch.

CREDITS GAGS:

City music from Homer's romp plays over the "Executive producer" credits.
    An "epilogue" is played over the credits, showing Lisa writing in her diary and going to bed, then Bart taking the book, giving it to Homer, and electrifying him. It's a great touch to a nice episode.

In the end, I give this episode an 8.8. Out of 10.

where'd the monkey come from? HANDSOME.S4.E6.XMAS.GUYS.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lisa's pet peeve is phonies!? I thought she loved them!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpsons_Sweden View Post
    Which one off you is the pantsman?

weak episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    best joke

Of course not, you're a robot Malaise Forever's Avatar

Lots of people seems to prefer this episode over all other Season 14 episodes and that surprised me a bit. Watching it again I realized how the best Season 14 episodes are mostly "very sweet" without being too emotional and having their share of lame jokes. Speaking of lame jokes, I thought the crotch dot wasn't too bad as I remembered. Other ones I thought were lame were Ralph's lines, the fake tears and Lou making funny faces. Jokes that were better was the "surprise" reveal of them disappearing through the window and the canonman (mostly because of his voice). The story was solid, borrowing a "film noir" feel at times and still told in a light manner. Lisa was a jerk though in the first minutes (especially the "Just buy me the freaking gift").

So a well-earned B

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Since I first saw the episode in 2003 I thought he said "ponies" for some reason. That joke puzzled me for a long time until now!

Junior Camper

Yeah, this is one of my preferred Season 14 episodes. 3/5 for this one.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This is a pretty good episode. My main problem with it is Homer and Lisa running from the police, which, while it makes for an entertaining plot, doesn't make sense. The absurdity of the plot aside, this is an enjoyable episode with some great moments (and being someone who likes cop shows, the PI was a nice touch). 6/10

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Senor Homer For The Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great homer&lisa episode. Grade: A-
    My quest to rewatch, grade and review all episodes of The Simpsons:
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...Reviews-Reborn

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Senor Homer For The Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Amazing episode, hilarious through with a great plot, Lisa is sorta out-of-character at points but otherwise i dont really have a problem with this episode, one of the best season 14 episodes. Grade: A

Blog Entries

what i liked- Dexter getting information from Skinner, Nelson, and Ralph, homer remembering lisa has good hearing, "How ironic, now he's blind after a life of enjoying being able to see", homer's fake name being Lance Uppercut, homer's video for lisa, bart tricking homer into picking up the turbo diary to get shocked, amongst other things. good episode. it was a good homer/lisa episode with nice humor and an excellent plot. A+

I don't remember saying that! pkkao's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Talk about a mixed bag. This episode has many elements that would make it one of Jean's finest episodes, but other parts of the episode cancel those out. It's got so many characteristics of the early Jean era, both good and bad.

First, the bad. We are introduced to this bland one-time character. He's nothing more than a plot element, unfortunately; just the bad guy that plays out part of the plot while Homer and Lisa deal with the real emotion. We've got the emotion-amid-action that's Jean's trademark; he did it in My Mother the Carjacker, too, among many other episodes. All that action going on really takes something away from the emotion. Look at Oakley and Weinstein episodes; their emotional points are always done with pure emotion, and no action. Al Jean tends to add a little too much action in making his action plus emotion scenes.

Now, the good. The dynamic between Homer and Lisa is my favorite in the series; they are extremely different from each other, but deep down, they still share a special bond with each other. This episode showcases all of that very well, from Homer's ignorance to the fact that despite that ignorance, he still cares for his daughter. Great characterization of both Homer and Lisa. The entire episode is very funny. Save for some extended or overexplained jokes, the majority of the jokes hit their mark.

Very mixed bag. But I think the Homer-Lisa emotion and the solid jokes save it from diving too far down. 8.5/10

Thread Information