View Poll Results: How would you rate "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation"?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5 -- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

12 6.22%
  • 2/5 -- You Can't Always Get What You Want.

35 18.13%
  • 3/5 -- Good Times, Bad Times.

65 33.68%
  • 4/5 -- It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It).

52 26.94%
  • 5/5 -- Paint It, Black. 8-)

29 15.03%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation" (DABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

He co-executive produced the episode, as well as wrote the episode .

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

What, hes co-executive producer now??? Dear God no!!!

Pin Pal

This was surprisingly good! Looks like Mike Scully still has some writing talent, even if he is usually a lousy exec producer.

First Act: This is a fine was to open Season 14. I really loved how it centered around the whole family. The notes in Homer's Wallet were great opening gags, as were most of Homer's attempts to get "wasted". The spoof of FOX's many "Hidden Camera" shows was terrific, too. My heart was just melting with joy when Homer said how much he loves his family.

Second Act: I'm not familiar enough with the Rolling Stones to understand most of the jokes surrounding the stars, but Homer's antics weren't *too* esentric. I did love the one star trying to convince the campers to take up bass, or any of the other instruments. At the end of this act, however, I was left wondering, "What's left? Where else can they go with this episode?"

Third Act: It was great of the writers to bring back Homer's love for his family and really showcase it at the beginning, middle, and end of this act. I must admit that the Giant Satan was rather stupid, as was the "gag" of Homer driving it.

Overall: Though this episode wasn't as family-centric as "Brawl in the Family", it wasn't as Homer-centric as "Poppa's Got...." I really liked this episode, although some parts made my cringe.

I give this one a 3.5/5 =~ 4/5. It *could* have been better, but it still exceeded my expectations. Mike Scully and Al Jean did a good job on this one.
    ***All Hail Al Jean, the Holy One***

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

The Executive Producer post for Mike Scully is a special gig. It's just like during seasons 8-9 when Jean & Reiss exec. prod. four episodes during those 2 seasons. Don't worry fellas, I'm sure Jean will be back in his post for next week's ep .

Straight-Shootin' Sonofagun

Good ep, particularily the first act.

I liked the guest stars, and some of the lines, but the 2nd act felt too Scullyish (which makes sense)
    Signatures are so overrated!

Stonecutter

Al Jean is the main Executive Producer for Season 14. Mike Scully only co-executive produced this one. No worries.

Gone Mad

I will have to watch the episode again, like Mr.Plow said. For now I gave it a 3/5. I will edit this post after I watch it a second time.
    [Insert signature here]

Overall, this episode manages to pull a 3/5. It was definitely better than the last THOH, but still not great. Homer was, unfortunately, a bit a jerk, but the jokes seemed to be a bit better.

The first and third acts were a little disappointing, but the second was actually rather good, despite being set at one of the worst places to be from a comedy standpoint. Some of the training at the camp was rather clever (Richard's comment staying healthy and its irony was particularily funny), and it was actually nice to see guest stars a bit more "Simpsonized" instead of being ultra-realistic. The episode loses a few points due to the devil car towards the ending, but overall, it was good. An improvement over the last episode, anyway.
    This week's Invention Exchange:
    Cake 'N Shake: the cake with a real exotic dancer, all in one box!
    "Now even mom, dad, and the kids can enjoy a Chippendale dancer at little Jimmy's seventh birthday!

Pin Pal

Didn't like it all. Its one of those episodes where they had too many guest voices. They threw them in one after another with everytime Homer bringing in some lame ass comment. (Ie: Boooring; How many times has that been done???)

It looked like a bunch of skits thrown together without a real plot. Its revealed after Homer gives blood/gets drunk that his dreams were crushed. Goes to Rock Camp and is thrown in a bunch of workshops, which lasted about 1 minute each. Camp is over and Homer is sad. Homer gets to play on stage in benefit concert, but Rock stars get mad for some reason. Riot happens, Homer takes devil car. The end.

I'd give it a 1.5/5. The beginning wasn't too bad...

He brought us Lisa On Ice and some other good episodes.

He brings an okay episode.

Much better than last year's premire: Parent Rap
    Much better than Scully's last written episode: Homer the Moe

First act was okay. Nothing was really wrong with it.
    Second act was good. Homer seemed kind of whiny in it. The guest stars were great.
    Third act was good up until the satan thing.

Scully was able to write something that barely happened in his reign of Executive Producer: a satisfying ending.
    -By that I mean the ending did not feel extremely rushed. The guests made up for going crazy, Homer realized that he'd rather be with his family... It did not feel rushed like there was one quick scene about Homer commenting on hurting them or something.

I didn't LOL in this episode though except for one moment.

3.5/5 (7/10)
    I'm back.

I wasn't aware that this episode was written by Mike Scully. This just strengthens my belief that he's an excellent writer, but not a great Executive Producer.

Junior Camper
    A place where people can dance and eat stuff

I'm surprised there's so many negative comments about this episode. The only part I didn't like was the guest stars going mad for pretty much nothing but it made up at the end. Well anyway I give it a : 4/5

PS:

The Dictator

id give it a 2\5. i expected worse, not bad. beginning was the best part...it was an overall ok episode. the characters are losing their characteristics though. it seems the writers just throw them in the episodes for the hell of it. also, way too much homer. he had to be the center of attention for everything. its good for recent seasons, but it just isnt like the simpsons anymore.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Scully, or no Scully, this episode was a basic rehash of the Season Premier's 11 and 12. Homer meets someone famous, gets agitated, and ends up chasing, or is chased, by someone famous. Go ratings. Woo.

Anyway, with my meh-gativity aside, I did truly like the first act and felt bad for Homer and his speech about having broken dreams and a fatting ass. This bit of soul bearing is something that makes an episode feel 'dark', and that is good. Had the episode kept these broken dreams within Springfield, and believabilty, the episode could've been a lot more. But, of course, it's the premier so, it had to loaded with guest stars and it had to be all fun, Fun, FUN!

Grade: D+

Jake

BTW: Futurama's ep tonight was very good, but not the greatest, but it did have the funniest lines:

MAN: "I have a degree in Homopathic medicine!"

ROBOT CAR: "You have a degree in balloney!" (Grade: B)

King of the Hill: VERY funny, and how Dale was actually the voice of reason was a great touch. Kid Rocks appearence was immensly better than his Simpsons spot. Best show of the three tonight. (Grade A-)
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 11-10-2002 at 06:36 PM.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

The 3010th on named Bartman Bartman3010's Avatar

Today's episode was kinda weak. The only few points I'll give is that their new method of animating looks top notch. There was like no animation errors (I.e. dislocated pupils) at all in the show. And you can tell at the times where the animators did a few pieces of eye candy (Like Homer tripping over the log before the rock and roll camp) and now they've added passing cars to some of the moving scenes.

And yes, the guest stars were used very well. Even though I dont know much about the band, they were used very well.

However, there wernt that many funny moments, and the ending was kinda blown up when they chased Homer around with the devil car.

I did kinda like the part where Homer was on Taxi Cab Confessions and had Homer praise his family then bad-mouths about them. I didnt like it totally, but in a way it was pretty good.

The band camp thing was....alright....thats all I have to say about it. Though the 'Running From the Fans" training session was good.

Still, I didnt quite like the jokes. Sometimes, I wasnt even sure of where they were.

And I'm starting to get sick of the writers giving mostly Homer episodes. There isnt enough of any of the townspeople, or even any of the kids anymore. There will be like 1 or 2 Bart episodes VS 11 Homer ones.

Overall, I'm going to give this a 2 out of 5. There wernt any memorable moments, but the animation is good, and the guest stars were used well. But thats it.
    - Sean

I really should visit here more often...

My guess is Scully got to exec produce and write (and stick himself into the bathroom lineup) because maybe he's leaving the show after the official production season 13 (since DABF22 is the last episode of the "season").

Well, the episode had a Scully feeling for the most part. Trade-mark annoying Homer and a wacky chaotic chase scene, which I disliked. Luckily, it redeemed itself a bit with Homer expressing love for his family.

The first act of the episode I thought was outstanding. It was full of fresh bits, like the wallet gag, and the Disco Stu thing, plus a satire of Taxicab Confessions (replacing the monkey show). The setup was actually very good, IMO, using good characterization. So, the episode was great until Homer went to rock and roll camp.

I thought act 2 was the worst part of the episode, because Homer's antics got on my nerves - with his singing, yelling, and flinging things around. The guest stars didn't do too much for me throughout the entire episode.

The third act was decent, but as I mentioned - the chase scene blew. Overall, the episode was probably a even 3/5 for me, but I'm going to watch it again, and maybe it'll get better in my eyes, like last week. It was a bit haunting though how Scully made a return to the helm after I was getting used to Jean's style. Well, I'm looking really forward to next week's ep.

PS: I was disappointed with Futurama tonight. I thought some of the jokes were too lame, and the blowing gas was childish. King of the Hill wasn't its best either.
    Last edited by Tomacco; 11-10-2002 at 06:27 PM.
    Signature.

Whos the director of this episode
    Please To have Another Sloppy Jimbo

Hey dudes! I missed the EP, is there any way I can DL it??

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Tomacco
    The first act of the episode I thought was outstanding. It was full of fresh bits, like the wallet gag, and the Disco Stu thing, plus a satire of Taxicab Confessions (replacing the monkey show). The setup was actually very good, IMO, using good characterization. So, the episode was great until Homer went to rock and roll camp.

Good lord...we actually share the same opinion... :-O

I'm scared.

Jake

Junior Camper

not bad

Not Bad.

The first act was generally good. Homer's confession was the best part. It was dark, deep and touching. Even though it was Homer's typical crazy adventure ep, this at least gave him some depth. Also, it was influenced by alcohol. I like that as alcohol is one of the most common ways that people break their exterior persona and allow other to see their true self. Maybe i'm looking a bit too deep into this, I just really liked the satire.

One thing really bothered me in the first act and it was the superficial behaviur of OFF. They didn't seem like a family, but just people living under the same roof.

Second act was decent. Guest stars were properly used, and had couple of funny lines. (crotch stuffing, generic rock, my image...)

Again it bothered me the way Marge and the kids acted when they were driving Homer to the camp. Something very unrealistic and unnatural. It bothers me more than whackiness on the show.

Thir act was also decent with the exception of Homer being chased on stage. Again Homer was given some development as a character and some depth by puting his family first. The last joke was the best where Homer drives the kids to school in the Devil's head. Good Stuff!

Overall: 6.5-7/10

Stonecutter

2/5. Not a great eppy, i hope this isn't an example of what the whole season will be like.

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

I loved it!

Plenty of laugh out loud moments throughout the whole episode. I think the guest stars did a great job on their voicework. The episode was a little down here and there, but otherwise great. 4/5
    Last edited by skittlebrau; 11-10-2002 at 06:41 PM.
    yep.

Junior Camper

Originally posted by Mafia

Much better than last year's premire: Parent Rap
    Cannot agree. I actually didn't mind The Parent Rap... and I loved Bart's speech at the end (and the way it was wrapped up nicely).

This was 22 minutes of Homer acting like a jackass.

Junior Camper

what exactly does an EP do?
    \m/

Junior Camper

sorry for the horrid spelling, i wrote that in one minute

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Blinky
    Extended Player. It's a title given to a person who's tenure with the show was supposedly over, but has returned in some form or another.

Actually, it's Executive Producer (aka Lead writer)

Jake

Junior Camper

How many people found Homer's stage dive to be one of the funniest moments of the show? I laughed my guts out.

I'm no Simpsons nerd. (cough)

I give it a 4/5 because it made me laugh, plain and simple. Disco Stu (big plus there) as well as Elvis Costello's remark about his image. And my fave quote would be, "Couldn't you find a more fuel efficient Satan?" - Lenny Kravitz.

I liked it a lot. Homer drooling on his All Access pass... greatness.

-Ro

Loses Pants, Life Bob Underdunk T's Avatar

Originally posted by Blinky
    They basically put everything together - like movie producers. They get the script from someone, they get the director, the make sure everything is done the way they want, and that everything happens...etc...

3/5 The first half of act one was the best. I'm not disappointed though, because it was just I as I thought it would be, with guest stars as themselves.

can i be your friend

Thread Information