View Poll Results: How would you rate "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation"?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5 -- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

13 6.57%
  • 2/5 -- You Can't Always Get What You Want.

35 17.68%
  • 3/5 -- Good Times, Bad Times.

66 33.33%
  • 4/5 -- It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It).

55 27.78%
  • 5/5 -- Paint It, Black. 8-)

29 14.65%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation" (DABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Hybrid View

Rate & Review: "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation" (DABF22)

Season 14's second episode airs tonight with an army of guest stars including Mick Jagger, Tom Petty, Keith Richards, Brian Setzer, Lenny Kravitz, and Elvis Costello. There is alot of hype surrounding this episode and now we will see if it lived up to the fan's expectations.

The thread and poll will open once the episode airs.

Junior Camper

Heh, Good Times and Bad times.

I laughed the most at the final scene involving the Devil Head Car
    \m/

Alot better then i expected it to be.

pretty rad

Open:

>>No blackboard gag?

First act:

>>Somewhat okay in its execution.
    >>Disco Stu used well-- "I HATE DISCO!" Very clever.
    >>Only problem: not getting to the main plot. That would have been a good idea.

Second act:

>>I'm getting a bit tired of Homer's jerkassiness in this ep. Not a good thing.
    >>However, the guest stars have so far been done VERY well, especially Mick, Keith and Tom Petty.

BEST QUOTE OF THE EP:

Mick: It's only Rock and Roll Camp.
    Homer: But I like it!

Third act:

>>Anyone see THIS EPISODE'S WRITER in the line to the men's room?
    >>Homer was still jerkassy, but not as bad as Act Two... until that AWFUL CHASE SCENE. Peh.
    >>Stupid Satan head end not very funny. Too Looney Tunes.
    >>Cool! Good to see the stars do their voices over the credits!

Overall: middle of the road-- not excellent, but not horrible either. Still very enjoyable.
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

Rodent of Unusual Size HellBender's Avatar

3 out of 5... not bad, but not great either

Junior Camper

Rate & Review: "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation" (DABF22)

The only redeeming part was the sweet ending. The rest of it you can keep, ESPECIALLY jerkass Homer. This was his WORST and hopefully his LAST.

I was hoping for a preview for next week. Oh well.

...sssss... science? BlindPsychic's Avatar

It was ok, no particularly funny parts except Mick Jagger screaming "SIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPSOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN!!!! !!!"

Junior Camper

It was better then i thought it would be

My fav part was when Homer went around flashing his back stage pass

Stonecutter

I've viewed the episode twice, so here's my review:

Opening Act:
    - No chalkboard gag?
    - Disturbing couch gag

First Act:
    - The episode starts out nicely. Great gag involving Homer's wallet. Moe makes a great apperance in this episode. The ways Homer tried to get wasted weren't that great, and Homer licking toads has already been done, and doesn't need to be done again. Lenny and Carl were also great in this episode. The "car chase" sequence was lame, as Homer was just being a jerk.

Sarcastic Taxi Cab Driver: Where to?
    Homer: Moe's Tavern

The violent diarehea bit was a tad immature, but gave me a chuckle with the kid's shudders. Also dug the MTC: Monkey Tramua Center bit. We don't see much of Disco Stu, so it was nice to see him again workin' it.

Lisa: Another proud moment for the Simpsons.

Homer's drunken plea in the Taxi Cab Conversations bit was predictable, as you could tell he was going to go into a downward spiral towards dissing the family. Nonetheless, it pays off with his heart felt speech, which was great.

Second Act:
    - Homer is starting to get a little bit funnier and more annoying. It sorta balances out. Loved the bit with the place where your family will never follow you again. Also liked the I.R.S. joke. I thought that the episode went nicely with all those guest stars. I personal favorites were Prof. Keith Richards and Tom Petty. I was chuckling, but not laughing out loud, throughout all the guest star's bits. One of my favorites involved Wiggum and Jagger. Elvis Costello was great with his base gag. My favorite bit with a guest star involved Lenny Kravitz and Kenny Loggins . Brian Setzer's apperance was a meh. Also liked it when Mick Jagger taught them dance movements. A bit disturbing when all the guys started kissing the cardboard groupies. The end ended abruptly, with Homer becoming childish and annoying.

Third Act:
    - This act felt really short, and seems like the weakest of the 3. The only great gag which got me laughing was the all access pass. The ending was nice, seeing Homer bond with the kids.

Overall, a 3/5-4/5, but I'll give this one a 4. A decent episode, but it reminded me much of "Homerpalooza" and "A Tale of Two Springfields". Can't wait for next week's though!
    Last edited by Mr. Plow; 11-10-2002 at 07:25 PM.

Junior Camper

2/5. I didn't like it much at all, but it wasn't pure crap.

Not very funny, rushed and lousy plot, and Homer was annoying.

Also, what's going on? How come Mike Scully is back Executive Producing (or did I miss-read the credits?)?

Either way, that's the second bad season premier I've seen so far. I only pray the rest of the season won't be so dissapointing.
    Last edited by YesMan; 11-10-2002 at 05:40 PM.

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

I was somewhat surprised by this episode. I didn't see too much jerkass Homer moments. The guest stars were funny and not so self-flattering. The ending with Homer driving the devil car is great.

7/10
    Last edited by Simpson Purist; 11-10-2002 at 05:45 PM.

milhouse the great.

I liked it. Very original for the Simpsons.

what's an applebees Necromancer's Avatar

2/5, disappointing.

i am the killer dressed in pilgrim's clothing.

Jumped The Shark

NOt too good of an episode. Story was weak, guest stars didn't do too much. There were enough funny moments to keep it from terrible, but it seemed like something from season 11. Plus, the ending was just stupid. 2.3/5

Futurama was pretty weak tonight also.

See You Space Cowboy.....

2/5

Pretty good for a standerd Homercentric gueststar overloaded episode. That being said they need to move away from episodes like this once or twice a season is fine but there is no need to have gueststars for no good reason every other week.

A few parts were funny however.
    S1.3 LIS+++ BOB++ BAR++ BUR+
    f+++ Ips $+++ 7F19, 2F15, 3F22, 3F02, 3F07 M1981

"The strength of the show is the characters - that's the strength of any good show. Since they've gotten more mainstream, they keep wanting to go for the easy laughs, the stupid jokes. I think it's the wrong move, and an insult to the intelligence of the audience." - Yeardley Smith

A very uneven episode. A few of the gags were pretty good, but most of them missed. (I liked the El Salvador gag) The episode also seemed to be everywhere with each act having a different plot. I'm really getting sick of Homer crying hysterically for no particular reason.
    Overall 2/5

Edit: This episode reminded me a lot of Kill the Alligator..., which is not a good thing.
    Last edited by nowhere; 11-10-2002 at 05:51 PM.

Junior Camper

Originally posted by Gagnonsux
    Futurama was pretty weak tonight also.
    I liked Futurama, it was much better then the new Simpsons.

Pin Pal

3/5. I liked the "jump the shark" couch gag the best.

Quote from Nowhere:

"I'm really getting sick of Homer crying hysterically for no particular reason."

Me too. It's really, really old.

All By Me Onesies

I personally thought it was a crappy episode.

Minimal high points, WAY too many guest stars. Though the devil car cracked me up.

2/5

drugdealer keeper awayer Hapablap's Avatar

much better than expected, 1st and 3rd act were great. Homer trying to get wasted was hilarious. Homer was whining a bit more than necessary, but the story didnt seem as rushed as in recent seasons. The guest stars did a nice job of making fun of themselves, I thought this would be like the Mel Gibson episode, but it was all good stuff. The part with the devil head was a little out there, but still funny as hell when they all jumped on and started chasing Homer. Overall, a great episode to start the season.

elvis costello - my image!
    Last edited by Hapablap; 11-10-2002 at 06:46 PM.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

3/5

Opening: What? I hope they don't cut down the opening this much all time time! I mean there wasn't even a chalkboard gag! LOL, Did anyone notice that the couch gag was another reference to the show "jumping the shark?"

1st Act: The problem with a lot of the 1st acts lately, is that the majority of it is spent on nothing happening. (Remember the dog trying to kill Bart?) In this case, it was about Homer getting wasted, and the family getting mad at him, but it didn't set up the real plot of the episode, which the first act usually should do. One thing I liked, was that Disco Stu finally showed some depth!

2nd Act: I think all the guest stars did a good job, especially at poking fun at themselves. Again, not much point to this act except watching wacky stuff happen between Homer (who was being rather annoying in this episode) and the rock stars.

3rd Act: Pretty good until they "riot" against Homer. That was pretty stupid (and too cartoonish), but at least they admitted it themselves and apologized to Homer, instead of holding some grudge on Homer forever or something, which is what Scully would have done.

So, I enjoyed this episode, but I don't think it was that great. Personally, I think the whole idea of a "rock and roll star camp" was just completely stupid. I actually thought the camp would be a hallucination of Homer's, since he got high on all that stuff.

Categories this episode falls under:
    Yet another Wacky Homer Adventure featuring loudmouth annoying Homer
    An excuse to put a ton of guest stars on the show (it kind of seems like the episode was written around the guest stars.
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 11-10-2002 at 05:45 PM.

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

3/5, typical Homer episode with an ending I didn't care too much for. However, the guest stars were hilarious - especially the Stones.

2nd act was the strong part of the episode for me.

BangBangBart

hilarious and way better than i thought it would be. my favorite part was the devilmobile chasing homer on the stage heh

Junior Camper

2.5/5
    Please no more Scully episodes!

When I saw Mike Scully as the episode's writer, I was skeptical. But then I remembered how great he is as a writer. The only thing that bugged me was the rock guys chasing Homer in the end. Couldn't they have gotten on stage with him? That would have been a much more fitting ending.

4/5. Strong season premiere. Loved the couch gag.

wasnt robbie williams supposed to be in this episode?

Loved it, absolutely loved it. Excellent set-up (seeing Homer trying to get drunk without beer was hilarious, and I'll never look at Disco Stu the same way again). The Rock n' Roll Camp scenes were great - seeing all these minor characters, and the guest stars were hilarious. Homer's performance at the gig was excellent (he actually plays pretty well), and I loved the Devil Car deal. Overall, MUCH MUCH BETTER than last week. IMO, it was good enough to get an A+.

HUGE SURPRISE OF THE NIGHT: Executive Produced by Mike Scully? I knew he wrote it, but how come he was head EP on this one too? (At least Al Jean still had a hand in it, I saw his EP credit at the beginning). Surprisingly good for him.

Anyone have a framegrab for my sig?
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
    Fuck typos Im drunhk.
    My DeviantArt.

Junior Camper

5/5!

I loved that episode. It was full of laughs, and I was quite entertained. The guests also did VERY well.

cuke as a coolcumber Smilin'JoeFission's Avatar

OK, the Simpsons have finally thrown a bunch of rock'n'roll superstars into one episode, can we get some better stuff now? I don't think tonight's episode was even Season 12(the wacky guest-star era) material. The first act felt like it was going somewhere, with Homer's family angry with him, but the 2nd act turned from classic OFF get-ups (Homer screaming upon seeing Santa's Village) to a wacky-fest. Its always fun to see stars poke fun at themselves, but this was nothing special. An entire episode was written around Mel Gibson, and it was awful, Scully did not learn his lesson on this one. However, this is the first episode in a long time, I would have to say has had a better ending than the rest of the half-hour.

Grade: D
    "If art were to redeem man, it could only do so by saving him from the seriousness of life, and restoring him to an unexpected boyishness."
    -John Lennon

I just finished watching this episode, and all I have to say is: wow! I personally think it was excellent. I actually thought I wasn't going to like it much. "THOH XIII" slightly disappointed me, and it seemed a bit too dependent on guest stars. Yet I really think it succeeded. The whole family was included in a great deal of the episode, and I loved the humanity on Homer's part. He really revealed quite a bit about his character in the taxi. How he wishes he had been a rock star, not a nuclear-power employee. The guest stars seemed very necessary, not forced at all. They were consistently hilarious. However, I do have some gripes about it. Homer was a bit too childish in much of the episode, expecially when he had to leave the camp, and it was a bit too centered on him. Still, I think it was a great episode, which is why I find it troubling that it's getting mixed reviews here.

One question, though. Why did it say "Executive Producer- Mike Scully"? I thought his days were over.

Thread Information