Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Homer the Moe" Reviews

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Whole Damn Show blockyourfather's Avatar

"Homer the Moe" Reviews

What did you think of Homer the Moe?
    Last edited by blockyourfather; 11-18-2001 at 05:34 PM.
    Let the fools have their tar-tar sauce.

block

Junior Camper

I'm always looking forward to a new episode.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."-Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

comes from circumstances mr. broom's Avatar

Of course we're all looking forward to it, but some of us are a little concerned that it's going to be another weak story that leans on a gratuitous celeb cameo for support. Not that it won't be funny, of course. Even eps with contrived stories are generally funny.

The episode shorts are funny!

Moe:No, ,no, not the face! Ok, ok, the face!

I don' think it'll be a good episode, but I'm still looking forward too it. Something tells me it'll be a bit all over the place. R.E.M. probably won't be in it too long, so I don't care about that.

Straight-Shootin' Sonofagun

I'm looking forward to it. Should be good.
    Signatures are so overrated!

Basically, what Tomacco said, I think the story looks a little weak, and might could end up all over the place. As it is, the basic premise seems to be a slower paced version, in some ways, as Dumbell Indemnity, although that could my wild speculation. Also, like Tomacco, I think, and hope, that R.E.M. doesn't have a big role. The Simpsons has had nothing but bad luck with music guest stars, and not to mention forests (line from Lisa the Treehugger). So, I am looking forward to it, because it is new, but my expectations aren't really very high, so hopefully the writers will prove me wrong.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Greg Durand

Originally posted by rockdiva
    I'm always looking forward to a new episode.

The Notorious “JLJ”

Yeah, the plot sounds sort-of iffy, but who knows what the outcome will be... plus a new episode is always a good thing.

is back from the dead

I guess I'm looking forward to it, but it seems like a typical Scully episode with it's unfocused sounding plot and wackiness. It looks like Homer might be in good character though, and I want new episodes badly. "Beyond Blunderdome", though, is the one of the Scullys I'm looking forward to most.

S.13 OFF +++ APU +++
    NED +++ GIL- f++ n Ips
    $+++ 7F19, 8F03, 8F05,
    8F08, 8F09, 8F11, 8F22,
    9F04, 9F11, 9F14, 9F15, 9F18, 9F22, 1F13, 1F17,
    2F01, 2F06, 3F02, 3F07,FF14, 3F20, 3F22, 3F23,4F06, 4F07, 4F11, 3G01, 4F22, 5F01, 4F24, CABf14, AABF03, 3G04 M1990

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks like the show will be running late again this week as King of the Hill won't be starting on time.

Anyway, I just saw the commercial where Homer does a "Fonzie" by hitting the jukebox, but breaks the glass, cuts his hand and few quarts of blood go gushing out.

Hee-larious.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

jesus, c/o the pentagon

lets see....poorly planned plot...bad third act...pointless and unfunny guest appearance....another stupid homer injury. oh well, it could have been worse....maybe
    If rhymes were valiums Id be comfortably numb.

Just ended right now. Pretty cool, but not as funny as the Parent Rap.

Nah, I thought it was better than The Parent Rap. I liked when Homer was telling the end of his story at Moe's during the beginning of the episode. An A- or a B+.
    This week's Invention Exchange:
    Cake 'N Shake: the cake with a real exotic dancer, all in one box!
    "Now even mom, dad, and the kids can enjoy a Chippendale dancer at little Jimmy's seventh birthday!

One of the most all-over-the-place episodes ever. By the hunting scene, I forgot how the episode even started. It was poorly written, but there were enough laughs I think. 6/10 ish probably
    The fact that they said Penis didnt bug me because so many shows have said it before, like King of the Hill even. Some people were surpised by it.

Junior Camper

O.K. I'm going to have to watch it again because it was hard to follow. This episode was all over the place. It was like watching a bunch of Simpsons shorts without any wrap up.
    See if you can follow it:

Bart's digging story... Homer telling it in Moe's... Moe going back to school...Homer running Moe's bar...Moe at school... Moe changing his bar to Post Modern "M"... Homer running a bar in his garage.. Moe unhappy with "M"... REM perfomance in Homer's garage.. Turkey hunt in the woods..Moe getting shot..Moe's "old" bar is back.. Simpsons having Thanksgiving Dinner in Moe's old bar with REM.

Wow I'm confused...what was the plot?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah this plot was all over the place, but it had some really funny bits, like Lenny trapped in the wheel and saying: I'm trapped in the creative design run amok!", and the Russian lady saying: "All this yelling is taking away my horny." Even though I'm not a big fan of REM, they did have a positive appearence and the episode wasn't around them.

Fortunetly, the only really, really stupid part was Homer hitting the Jukebox and bleeding all over.

Grade: B+ (Thank gawd this wasn't another "Tale of Two Springfields")

Jake

I thought it was pretty darned good. The plot wasn't hard to follow...yes it was all over, but it still made sense. And it was funny. The Fonzie gag was sooo funny, a little bloody, but hilarious! And the whole digging thing was funny too! He he.

Grade: A

is back from the dead

I really, really didn't like this episode. It was, as Tomacco said, disjointed and the plot had very little comedic or dramatic development. It was among the most incoherent Scullys, and, to be honest, it wasn't that original either. It had great similarity to the great "Flaming Moe's", although it was done terribly, and with no skill. It was all disjointed, and Homer was overly wacky. Badly planned, badly charactered, badly made, and badly written, it was so ineffective I could barely watch! A few funny scenes at the University and in M's didn't count enough to save this disaster.

Overall Grade-D+
    Last edited by James; 11-18-2001 at 05:53 PM.

Jillian

One question: Will there be an episode this season that doesn't have Homer bleeding?

I didn't like this one that much. The plot was alright until the turkey hunt...that was so stupid, out of no where. And Moe getting shot? This show is becoming more cartoonish each episode. REM's appearance was pretty good, could have been better. I didn't even think this episode was all that funny. I did like when Carl said he was an urban Lenny and when they were dancing on the bar. Overall grade: meh.

cuke as a coolcumber Smilin'JoeFission's Avatar

I give this episode "seven thumbs up"

Homer trying to sing along with R.E.M.-hilarious
    Moe's professor dying-took too long...
    Moe's running line "Whaaa-"-getting old.
    "Mmmm....curds..."-so good, I added it to my siganture
    "m" bar- very very cool.
    The slow-dancing on the table routine-supoib!

Just one request...Make Barney drunk again!!!!

R.E.M. rulz.
    "If art were to redeem man, it could only do so by saving him from the seriousness of life, and restoring him to an unexpected boyishness."
    -John Lennon

Originally posted by Jillian
    One question: Will there be an episode this season that doesn't have Homer bleeding?
    It's not looking that way.

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

Definitely disjointed, but hilarious at times too with several memorable lines. I'm disappointed in the first scene with Bart digging... looking back at that part, it seems like such a waste. As for R.E.M.'s role, at least they got a bunch of good lines in unlike some certain tennis stars in a Season 12 episode.

Hilarious moments: Homer's robot: "Faaaather!"; the crank call from Bart to Homer; Fonzie scene

I also enjoyed this episode slightly more than "The Parent Rap"

Grade: B

Check out my detailed review here:

www.thespringfieldshopper.com/reviewcabf20.htm

I actually think many of you will agree with my review.

Junior Camper

Okay, let's see:

first act: Bart digging holes, that was very stupid. The writers cant think of a way to start the episode, so they stoop this low with this stupid pointless story.
    Barney: Okay, Barney drinks coffee now, and it continues his character change from a few seasons ago, but come on writers, why do you have to keep his character like this?? Barney is known for being a drunken slob. It's COMPLETELY out of character for him to drink coffee, with his hair slicked back. Come on, won't we ever hear him blech again?!?! Bring back the old Barney!! Overall, the first act of this episode sucked, with no funny moments except a few lines by Lenny and Carl(which I cant remember.)

second act: Homer running the bar is stupid. Homer always gets these type of jobs. Why not have Lenny run the bar? Or Carl? The dancing on top of the bar was really stupid. Having them dance in step is so out of character. And then Homer smashing his hand and blood going everywhere: how dumb is this? Im so sick of the blood and the gore. Homer's song as he's walking down the street was pretty funny. Also, the Alien Headquarters line was funny. Moe's new bar was okay. Except for that penis joke. I never thought the writers would have to stoop to vulgar language for a laugh. well, I didnt laugh, I thought it was very stupid actually.

third act: Okay, so Homer gets kicked out of Moe's bar and now has a grudge against Moe. Hmmmmm, can you say "Flaming Moe's", or "Dumbell Indemnity"? Homer's grudges against Moe keep getting dumber and more repetitive. Marge mentions something like, 'dont you ever work at your real job anymore?' yeah really. Does he? The writers are killing themselves with this line. They realize that Homer is never at the SNPP, and they think it's funny, and shows his laziness or something. But actually, it's just stupid, repetitive and unrealistic. I thought Homer's bar was pretty funny though. The urinal was great, and Homer singing with REM was hilarious. I thought REM had a strong presence overall. Anyone who knows REM would have thought it was funny (sweeping up the shards, the tofu, etc.). The hunting scene at the end was okay. I really liked the Cougar call though. that was great. But Homer shooting Moe was just stupid. The dinner at Moe's was meh. It was an okay ending. A lot better than most of last seasons endings I must say.

Overall, the plot was all over the place, and there weren't enough funny moments. I'll give this episode a D+
    "I got nitemares all the time, bout a girl who ain't to fine." -WWC

Oh yeah Number One, the robot scene was hilarious...

Father, give me legs.... Father

barneybeergumble

This sucks, I forgot Homer the Moe was on and missed it. When will it be showed on next?

Unfortunately, you may have to wait a whil before it airs again. On the other hand, you didn't miss an Earth-Shattering episode.

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

To tell the truth, I actually liked the plot. Probably because it floated around and never got too old. However, there were far too many throwaway jokes. Luckily, all the acts had enough worthwhile bits to make up for that and it came out nice and swell.

Grade: 4/5

First Three Season 13 Episodes: 9/15
    First Three Season 12 Episodes: 10/15

Season 12 is now barely keeping its lead. However, next time Season 12 will gain a great deal with a 15/20 thanks to the 5/5 I gave to Lisa The Treehugger. Will Season 13 ever make a comeback? Will Al Jean be better than Scully as an Exec-Producer this time around? Will Hanson ever return to their former glory?

I can see "Mike Scully" on the ending credit list....
    Is that mean he is executive producer for some season 13 episodes?

As for this episode, I am just glad the prank call is back.
    Last edited by Doaho; 11-18-2001 at 08:06 PM.

Thread Information