View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Game of Thrones

7 12.96%
  • 4/5 - The Lord of the Rings

11 20.37%
  • 3/5 - The Chronicles of Narnia

18 33.33%
  • 2/5 - Warcraft

13 24.07%
  • 1/5 - Disenchantment

5 9.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Serfsons" (WABF17)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "The Serfsons" (WABF17)

Season 29, Episode 1
    Original Airdate: October 1, 2017
    Writer: Brian Kelley
    Director: Rob Oliver
    Showrunner: Matt Selman
    Synopsis: In a magical medieval world, Marge's mother is turned into an Ice Walker and the only way for Homer to afford the cure is to force Lisa to use illegal magic. When the King discovers this, he kidnaps Lisa, and Homer must lead a feudal uprising to save her.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 10-08-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    SEASON 29 RANKINGS
    The Serfsons - 2/5 / Springfield Splendor - 4/5 / Whistler's Father - 1.5/5
    THOH XXVIII = The Sweets Hereafter - 3.5/5 / The Exor-Sis - 3/5 / Coralisa - 4.5/5 / MMM... HOMER - 2/5

Blog Entries

Thoughts!!
    - that joke about homers Fucked Up arms made me cry
    - krustys genitals being infested also made me cry
    - Gelatinous Cube joke was a bit of a headscratcher
    - so Marge Like Man has a name eh... why didnt they reveal it...
    - the pervy ice walker and the Lion havin the same voice is crazy
    - homer and marge bein married at 11 eh :thonking:
    - that Ogre joke wouldve been funnier without homers Additions
    - thanks for revisiting that krusty genital joke like no really thanks...
    - so the Major Conflict is bein introduced at the end of act 2... INsane
    - the tree joke wasnt bad even if its odd that they had the strength to tear down the castle yet homer and co could easily rip em apart!!!
    - the ending Nihilism is a bit stale also the dumb LOL SCIENCE stuff like Boo *throws cane at stage*
    - aww how nice for puerto rico

overall a bit stale, some interesting visuals but the plot was kinda all over the place and it just wasnt very funny 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

insert usertitle here The Eggxorcist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

** Maggie sucking on crow beak
    - Dumb joke with Homer and the horse
    -- Dumb joke with Lisa and unicorns
    ** Gential Smurfs
    ** Leech pill organizer
    * Gelatinous blob
    Woah it's MARGE-LIKE MAN
    Not bad so far. 6/10. A few groaners but an interesting story and some nice jokes.
    ** Classic Moe prank
    Sigh main plot ended halfway.
    * More Gential Smurfs
    -- Lame joke about heaven
    -- "You can't nap my kid! That's kidnapping" lame
    End of act 2. Not as good of an act. 4/10.
    ** Carl bombing
    *** Actually the climax was surprisingly well-done and intense.
    --- More awful heaven jokes
    --- Lame ending with Lisa being her usual voice.
    * Nice acknowlegement of the Puerto Rico situation.
    Closing Thoughts:
    Not the best, but an improvement over some S27 or S28 eps.
    The plot was, for once, actually good and compelling. Not really overly thin or boring, unlike lots of HD eps, the story was actually very interesting this time around. I think they did a good job with the fantasy premise, the climax for instance was actually very intense and compelling.
    However, it wasn't a perfect ep. The humor was still poor. There were some good jokes, but not many, only 7 good laughs throughout. And as for the plot, Homer's selfishness was really aggravating, and the ending sucked, as OF COURSE they had to throw in Lisa giving a creed about science.
    Overall, 5/10. Not the best, but not the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

I'll preface this by saying I don't typically like episodes that take place out of Springfield but this one just didn't do it for me. It just wasn't very clever or funny. 2/5 for me.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: fas1997

Blog Entries

I'll give it a 3/5. I didn't think it was a good episode, I felt the whole "game of thrones" gimmick was a bit forced, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it was bad. Maybe mediocre with a hint of decency...?

I got a small laugh out of Jimbo, Kearney, and Dolph taking the glass rather than the armor, and I chuckled at Bart's prank letter. The animation for the lion "Jehovah's witness" guy was phenomenal, I'll give them that, but other than that, this episode felt pretty corny and dry. The ending caught me off guard, and I was very confused. I was watching the episode with my brother, who mentioned something about Puerto Rico, which I had no knowledge about. I guess I'll have to do some research on that.

(Also, maybe this is just because I never really watch Simpsons on TV, but the episode felt unusually short to me.)
    Last edited by TheHeavenlyBuddy; 10-01-2017 at 04:51 PM.

I'm REALLY indecisive over whether or not I like this episode, and I might leave a different post once I've had the chance to rewatch and form a more solid opinion, but nevertheless:

Wow, that was a better plot than I was expecting. There were some pacing issues, though-- it seemed to come to a standstill and then dash on to the next plot point (Maybe that's just the Simpsons in general and I have a selective memory?). It also felt liek they were trying to do a bit much in half an hour.

The jokes were pretty middle-of-the-road; not cream of the crop but not terrible. They were decent, is I guess what I'm trying to say. My favorite was the 100 gold pieces joke (and my dad claims he saw Bart eating all three crow eyes while Homer and Lisa were talking politics). There was an issue with jokes being overused, though: I liked the genital smurfs joke and the feudalism jokes the first time around but they were WAY overused. The Aslan joke did nothing for me the first time an just got worse (but that might just be because i'm too sentimentally attached to the Narnia books).The chopping down the trees joke was just bad.

Miscellaneous thoughts: I wish he had gotten to see King Quimby outside of the intro, the Puerto Rico tribute was very touching, and did Otto's voice sound off to anyone else?

(Also, this is more of a personal gripe, but Skinner is one of my favorite characters so seeing his head on a pike was a bit disappointing. That's the way life goes for him I guess)

I didn't have very high expectations for a gimmick episode but this was actually enjoyable. Not great, but enjoyable. Tentative 5/10 but I might change that after rewatching.

Was Grimes's head on a pike?
    Hi, I'm Steven and I had such a sheltered childhood that I've never gone trick-or-treating except at a mall. Hablo español.

RIP Frank Grimes ????-1997

Season 28:
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 5.5/10 | Friends and Family - 5/10 | The Town - 4/10 | THOH XXVII 6.5/10 | Trust But Clarify - 7/10 | There Will Be Buds - 9/10 | Havana Wild Weekend - 6/10 | Dad Behavior - 2/10 | The Last Traction Hero - 5.5/10 | The Nightmare After Krustmas - 4/10 | Pork and Burns - 8/10 | The Great Phatsby - 6/10 | Fatzcarraldo - 5.5/10 | The Cad and the Hat - 6/10 | | Kamp Krustier - 4.5/10 | 22 to 30 - 3.5/10 | A Father's Watch - 7/10 | The Caper Chase - 4/10 | Looking For Mr. Goodbart - 5/10 | Moho House - 6/10 | Dogtown - 6/10

Eh, some jokes were very funny, but the story wasn't at all interesting to me, marge's mom's voice sounded awful, and her story didn't carry any weight because she is never had this large of a part in any other episodes she was in. However, will definitely beat Season 27's opener of "Every Man's Dream," that was a new level of terrible. 2/5

THE SIMPSONS COLLECTOR Krusty Bart's Avatar

Boring the 1st time, but even the boring episodes a much better the 2nd time after a Blunt.

Incidentally, as next week's episode will be airing first in Canada, I'll be over on Discord once again providing live impressions.

Feel free to drop on by if you'd like to participate or get a heads up on what to expect.
    It's a Tim Long episode so I'm sure I'll have many kind things to say.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 10-01-2017 at 06:21 PM.

It Tastes Like Burning Purpleberries's Avatar

The episode was decent, I guess. The plot was pretty middle-of-the-road.. At first, the major conflict seems like Homer has to find a way to cure Marge's mother but then that gets resolved in the middle of the episode. After that, some other conflict gets introduced when Lisa gets kidnapped. The pacing felt a bit too slow at certain points and too fast at some points. The humor in here was middle-of-the-road too like someone else already said. There were some decent gags here and there like how Jimbo, Kearney, and Dolph took the shards of glass. However, what really stands out is the animation. It was well-done and pretty fluid. That scene with Aslan in it was just unusually fluid for modern Simpsons.

Overall, a 3/5 for now, I guess. It's definitely a big improvement on the premieres of the last 3 or seasons.
    Last edited by Purpleberries; 10-02-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    Simpsons Season 29 Ratings: The Serfsons: 3/5 Springfield Splendor: 4/5 Whistler's Father: 2/5
    Bob's Burgers Season 8 Grades: Brunchsquatch: B+ Silence of the Louise: A-

Steven Universe Season 5 Grades: Stuck Together: B+ The Trial: A+ Off Colors: A- Lars' Head: A-

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

One note for now (is it my fault that Rick & Morty is on right after The Simpsons in the west?):

Score by Bleeding Fingers Music
    Score Producers: Hans Zimmer & Russel Emanuel
    Score Exec-Produced by: Steve Kofsky

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleberries View Post
    However, what really stands out is the animation. It was well-done and pretty fluid. That scene with Aslan in it was just unusually fluid for modern Simpsons.
    That's just Rob Oliver continuing to be awesome. He's the best director presently working on the show on a regular basis, IMO... and, arguably, in the Top 3 all-time.
    Selman might get a lot of raves but one could argue that Oliver's track record of consistency in the HD era is even more impressive.

Here's his resume...

• "Funeral for a Fiend" (2007)
    • "The Boys of Bummer" (2007)
    • "The Good, the Sad and the Drugly" (2009)
    • "Rednecks and Broomsticks" (with Bob Anderson) (2009)
    • "Holidays of Future Passed" (2011)
    • "Adventures in Baby-Getting" (2012)
    • "Treehouse of Horror XXIV" (2013)
    • "Blazed and Confused" (2014)
    • "Sky Police" (2015)
    • "Puffless" (2015)
    • "Barthood" (2015)
    • "The Burns Cage" (2016)
    • "The Town" (2016)
    • "The Nightmare After Krustmas" (2016)
    • "Kamp Krustier" (2017)
    • "The Serfsons" (2017)

What was the point of this episode? Not Impressed

These type of episodes either hit a homerun or ground into a game ending play. Well the home fans are going home disappointed.

Lisa bitching about the rich getting higher spikes was stupid. If anything the ones who were about to be executed that had some money gave the executioneer to 1. Make sure the blade was sharp and 2. Make sure they did it correctly. After that it was usually thrown somewhere after being up on a stake, ie. The Thames.

Bart does a classic crank call via bird, with a classic moe response.

The thing with Burns was... what was that about? Can someone explain?

2 of 5
    Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But let's just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.

The Power Is Yours The Ghost of Mr. Teenie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly, this was was probably the best season premiere since S23. The episode had a decent story and while the jokes weren't anything special and were mostly kinda predictable, there was nothing overly terrible. Plus I like the fact that Marge's mother got focus in this ep rather than Grampa. I would have liked the epic ending battle to be... more epic I guess. This is honestly an episode where everything falls into the middle but I guess I would lean more towards calling it a good ep, so 3/5

Also, something tells me that this is gonna end up being one of the better episodes of the season but we shall have to wait and see.

I thought this episode was okay. Had a few good jokes like the Moe prank letter and the religious lion. Lisa's lecture about science at the end and Homer calling Bart worthless was aggravating to me.

Not bad, but not great. 3/5

Bird of Prey NHC's Resident Raven's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always have high hopes for these season openers, and while it wasn't the best way to start a 29th Season (holy heck), I still have some good things to say about it.

- The animation has taken a major step up since last season. Whether this is because of it being a "special episode" or not will remain to be seen.
    - The Simpsons themselves are no longer an odd-looking orange color.
    - Stock or not, the music's still grandiose, if a bit forgettable.
    - The big Lisa magic scene is well-done, especially in the animation department.
    - Jacqueline's death scene was not as I expected; props to the writers for creating a death scene that I truly thought was inventive.
    - Before I forget, it's always nice to see Jacqueline again. Haven't had her around in a few years.
    - The sight gags were in full force this time around; I especially enjoy the signs this episode.
    - The joke about the slave wheel never actually powering anything was funny; and Homer remarking that "he thought they were just rumors" was probably the highlight of the episode for me.
    - We haven't gotten a Moe prank in a looooong time.

I'm going with a 4/5. Not the greatest of all episodes, though it's better than most season openers have been these past few years.
    See that? I started to do like a little arabesque, but then I just fully went for it and pulled off the demi-entrechant.

Not that I'm into that kind of thing.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by NHC's Resident Raven View Post
    - We haven't gotten a Moe prank in a looooong time.
    Not since the Family Guy crossover, and before that, since "Whiskey Business" in May, 2013.

Speaking of the FG crossover, it got referenced in the FG season premiere; they were treating it as if the public considered it an episode of The Simpsons, along the lines of "The Simpsons stoops to being on Family Guy." Considering that the entire episode was about trying to get nominated for an Emmy, I was surprised they didn't mention the fact that FG entered this episode for an Emmy but it didn't get nominated.

5/5

I really liked this episode. The Simpsons meets medieval times with a dash of Harry Potter (and maybe Game of Thrones? I've never watched an episode of GOT but I'm sure that show influenced this episode too). Nice to see Marge's mom again, and a classic Moe prank, and even a "Help Support Puerto Rico" screengrab at the end of the episode. Oh, and it was another "Matt Selman is the showrunner" episode. Can he be the full-time showrunner please?

But one thing that really bothered me: no Gracie Films screen, shush, or theme song. Will we no longer hear that theme at the end of new episodes? Does this mean the show *isn't* over now?

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    That's just Rob Oliver continuing to be awesome. He's the best director presently working on the show on a regular basis, IMO... and, arguably, in the Top 3 all-time.
    Selman might get a lot of raves but one could argue that Oliver's track record of consistency in the HD era is even more impressive.

Here's his resume...

• "Funeral for a Fiend" (2007)
    • "The Boys of Bummer" (2007)
    • "The Good, the Sad and the Drugly" (2009)
    • "Rednecks and Broomsticks" (with Bob Anderson) (2009)
    • "Holidays of Future Passed" (2011)
    • "Adventures in Baby-Getting" (2012)
    • "Treehouse of Horror XXIV" (2013)
    • "Blazed and Confused" (2014)
    • "Sky Police" (2015)
    • "Puffless" (2015)
    • "Barthood" (2015)
    • "The Burns Cage" (2016)
    • "The Town" (2016)
    • "The Nightmare After Krustmas" (2016)
    • "Kamp Krustier" (2017)
    • "The Serfsons" (2017)
    Not to mention he's been directing three episodes each season over the past 3 to 4 years. To keep this level of quality with the staggering amount of work he has to do is a testament to his abilities. Ever since Kirkland slowed down his output (plus Sheetz leaving), people like Oliver and Nastuk have been given the chance to shine. Nastuk is another one who manages to maintain a high level of animation while directing three shows every year, all of them fluid. Polcino is one who should step out of the comfort zone of doing two episodes per season and try for a third.
    Last edited by jbauer; 10-02-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Ehhhhhh, it was okay. One or two chuckles. I guess its a better premiere than recent years, but I still wouldn't put upon a pedestal.

I guess I'm in the unpopular opinion, I didn't hate it, but it was a very weak and stale episode to me, and I like most modern Simpsons episodes.

Blog Entries

Before my review let me rant a second on your poll descriptions. Warcraft is an amazing fantasy serie despite being limited to video gaming (and a recent live action movie) where being the 2/5 description feels to much of an insult . I also think LotR should be the 5/5 option, Game of Thrones is good but IMO it has declined after season 4 and delivers to much fan service and to little surprises, so I'd rather see that as the 4/5 option.

Alright, first episode of the new season that is also quite gimmicky. I didn't actually do any research on this seasons new episodes so this one came as a surprise. I do quite like its medieval setting as I get most of my enjoyment out of games, shows and movies based on this genre. Making this a 22 minute episode rather than a short trilogy segment is an interesting approach to take, as it allows a lot more writer freedom to pull off stuff you'd never be able to do in just a 7 minute segment.

Unfortunately it still feels like they didn't manage to pull off its full potential. There are a lot of good things I can mention like a proper single plot (despite going off the rails a lot of the time), the visuals looked STUNNING... like really, I just kept looking at the background looking how beautifully detailed everything looks. The lightning and shadows were excellent, and there are a lot of easter eggs to spot. Some of the animations like Lisa transmuting a stone to gold was done really well. The medieval'ish Simpson music is really good and fitting for this episode. And they did something I've been requesting for so long: giving Jacqueline Bouvier extra screen time or even her own plot. Its a nice down to earth plot of her going to die, Marge not being ready to let her go, that eventually leads for her to sacrifice herself to save the whole town. Not something you'd see so soon in a canon episode, but I somewhat expect this version of Jacqueline to be similiar to that of the original timeline (where her relationship with Homer is not all that shiny either). They could've used Abraham instead but I'm glad they gave Jacqueline the role instead.

For a Selman episode it did lack good jokes. It offered some terrible ones (those goddamn genital smurfs that keeps returning...), Marge's twin brother, the population discussing the afterlife, the Ice Walker acting so pervy (please let the actual Night King have a better voice), and pretty much every scene with Aslan (what exactly was the point with him?). Though it did have some good jokes like Homer sucking up to the horse despite ramming into his house, awkward family moment where they have nothing to talk about with Jacqueline despite keeping her alive, Bart's prank call to Moe, Homer asking Burns for a raise, Bart challenging but instead insulting the wizards, Lisa being saved by all the Millhouse trolls. The last act had a nice conclusion, with the people rather wanting magic over technology because its more fun.

Its a solid episode to start the season with and one of the better premiers we had in a while, but its still a rather average episode that shows its shortcomings. At the same time also does some things really well like the animation and music. I didn't laugh a lot but it was a good watch just for the plot, visuals, some of the emotion. I wouldn't mind to see more episodes like these.

3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

Remember Me As I Was 10Hurt100Dead110Slain10Bruised's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Oh yeah, this is way better than death."

Okay. Was a decent Selman paced ep with a bunch of feudalism/fantasy based jokes, though not annoyingly, but many pretty obvious. Weird that this is the most use of Marges mother in an ep, almost wish they did do an ep where she dies, emotion here wasn't too bad, but non-canon eh. Jokes and plot points were standard, Moes prank phone call and the tree joke were cute, then there's that (DAMN nice animated) Aslan and smurfs joke that were irksome, also those two minutes of afterlife discussion cause everything is pointless and meaningless yadda just kill me.

Will mention the animation again, Fox has been giving plenty of smooth/neat character movements this production Season, and along with Olivers direction, just a great looking ep, from the dragon, to the background detail, to the concept art in the credits, while the writing isn't spectacular, at least the animation makes it feel worthy of the epic billboard art. Music sounded fine, will have to hear how Bleeding Gu-Fingers Music does in regular eps, sure sounded like Hans Zimmer orchestra. At least it was def present the whole ep.

2/5
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

I liked this one. Very good and interesting alternate universe episode and a solid way to start the season (best season premiere the show has had in a while). It's nice to see them doing something different with an entire episode about what just could easily have been an Treehouse of Horror segment and I liked how they expanded the surreality of a Treehouse segment into a full length episode that wasn't limited to just 5-6 minutes. I'm not a fan of Game Of Thrones (I honestly don't care for it to say the least) and I thought they would pretty much only parody that, but I'm glad they didn't focus only on it too much and made it feel like a general medieval fantasy tale where they parodied other fantasy works too such as Lord of The Rings, The Hobbit, Narnia, Warcraft and Harry Potter as well as more generic fantasy stuff that was sprinkled throughout. I must say it worked better here than in many similar Treehouse stories and even the fantasy sequences in Marge Gamer; they clearly put some effort into this and it showed despite the flaws.

The plot was pretty good, interesting and overall well written (and nice use of Marge's mother Jaqueline whose role here probably is the biggest one yet; they could easily have gone with Grampa instead but I liked that it was Jaqueline instead and it made for a good mother-daughter element), the pacing was overall pretty good (it could have been tighter but I liked the pace they went with, allowing it to feel more natural) and the music was suitable. The alternate character designs for the family and others were pretty good and suitable & I liked how they had some fun (even portraying some of the characters into non-human fantasy creatures) and the animation was probably what I liked the most; the backgrounds were really neat and detailed and some of the animation was really fluid (the first scene with Aslan the lion man stood out but I also really liked Lisa doing her magic and Jaqueline confronting the dragon and walking towards it through it's fire breath, which was surprisingly great-looking and epic).

The humor wasn't the strongest aspect (maybe the weakest one) and the ones at the start were pretty lame (especially Homer kissing the hooves of the horse and the ice walker trying to woo Jaqueline) but it got better and even though the humor never got great there were some some decent-to-good and sometimes fairly kind of inspired jokes in there (the blob monster in the family's house, the slave wheel powering nothing, one of the wizards trapping Homer in a prison made of his extending toenails, "Take a peasant, leave a peasant", Aslan trying to convert people to his religion, the Milhouse goblin horde & Jaqueline's shapeshifter story all come to mind as jokes I liked) and some nice referential gags (such as the spider forest as seen in The Hobbit as the retirement home with the elderly hanging upside down while wrapped in webbing which made me laugh a little). Nothing was great but it had quite a bit of stuff I liked (and I really liked the LOTR & Hobbit styled end credits with the sketches of the characters and the song based on that from the last Hobbit movie; that was pretty neat).

Overall, I can understand those who find it just okay or a meh episode since the writing wasn't really that strong, it was partially kind of obvious and uninspired, a lot of it was just okay and it really could've used better humor (and those who don't like fantasy especially much probably doesn't get as much out of it as I did so I guess that I'm biased as a fantasy fan) but I enjoyed it a lot for being an fairly entertaining and inoffensive special episode without any forced modern references that took me out of it (they were careful with keeping the style and tone within the parameters of the medieval fantasy genre even with the spoof names and sign jokes and all). To be honest, I wouldn't say no if they did a sequel episode set inside this wierd altenate universe (or even if they did another alternate universe story) since I found this one good, simple fun and nicely entertaining.

4/5

The overwhelming "3" votes seem about right. This episode is better than the last few season premieres, and at this point in the show, I have no issue with them trying more unconventional non-canon episodes. But unfortunately that seemed to be the episode's strongest feature. It was a lot of fun to look at: the dreary design of the medieval world, the familiar Simpsons characters in fantastic guise, the plentiful sight gags, but the episode didn't have a whole lot else going for it. The plot was at least somewhat interesting (saving Marge's mom vs. getting Lisa back, though of course the latter part was a bit rushed), but the humor was fairly light. Still, there are some HD episodes that don't even make me laugh, and this one did a few times. I think it's kind of interesting that they suddenly decided to feature Jacqueline again and it ends up being in a non-canon episode. As someone who does like fantasy a lot, all the "nods" to various fantasy worlds were nice to see. I'd give it a 3.5/5. It's a decent start to the season and I am looking forward to more.

TYRANT TAKES 'THE KNEE' w/NFL D DEBBS's Avatar

I am new to 'Game of Thrones' (I am currently watching season 4 on DVD).

Watching 'The Serfsons' is like watching Bram Stark go through yet another one of his 'visions'....a complete yawner.

Lisa, however, acted like Cersei: bitchy, bitchy, bitchy.

Uh.....shouldn't the dragon be black? Drogon is black with red wings and scales.

I did like the scene with Moe getting the prank raven message from Bart!

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by D DEBBS View Post
    Uh.....shouldn't the dragon be black? Drogon is black with red wings and scales.
    Maybe the writer was a D&D or Pathfinder player, where red dragons are the ones that shoot fire, while black dragons shoot acid?

(Insert some sort of Otto "Acid Dragon" quote here)

Blog Entries

The Serfsons 5/10

½+ Nice still images in intro.
    - Homer apologizing to a fancy horse by kissing its shoe for too long... pretty lame joke.
    + "In a great country like ours a little girl can grow up to be anything. A wife, a harlot... Aaaaand that's it."
    -- Wow, Jaqueline sounds horrible! And I thought Marge's voice was bad.
    - Krusty has smurfs living in his underpants. Really?
    + The creepy flirter gazing at Jaqueline gave me a chuckle.
    -½ Okay, him flirting with a decreipt hung woman was way too far. Seriously, what the hell?
    ½+ Oh, that's who Marge-Like Man is. Not super funny, but made me smile.
    + We get a prank call bit, in the form of a letter. Hardly a classic, but a nice novelty.
    + Mr. Burns as I-don't-know-what-character-I-don't-watch-the-show appears. The revelation that he uses the slaves to drive literally nothing was pretty clever.
    - Then they do a really stupid joke where he also has useless wings, and Homer has to "shake hands" with them.
    ½+ Kevin Michael Richardson playing a lion is, uuuuh... odd to say the least. He plays a very easy Aslan parody, but he does his best with the material.
    - Homer gets called an ogre, but then "corrects" by saying his father was an ogre who married one. How is that funny?
    -- Fucking idiotic callback to the "smurfs living in genitals" joke. Stop.
    -- "You can't kidnap my kid! That's kidnapping!" Hey, I've got one: are you KIDDING me?
    + Jaqueline has decided she doesn't want to be kept alive, and sacrifices herself to save the village. Not a badly done scene.
    -- Stop calling back to the smurf genital joke!
    --- This episode ends in the stupidest fucking way ever, with Lisa informing people of the way of science, and thinks it's preferable to magic. It's so snoreworthy. Really? REALLY? Even in a medieval episode of all things, you gotta make a "Lisa loves science" joke??? Fuck off.
    + Some nice drawings in the end credits.

Yep, just as I suspected. Just a yawner. Game Of Thrones with random jokes thrown in throughout. In some cases I can't understand how they even made it into the episode. Krusty has genital smurfs?? A guy hitting on a hung woman??? Those barely even feel like Simpsons jokes. The plot was okay. I guess it worked for this kind of episode. However, there were so many cheap attempts at laughs that most of what you could discern as a plot was drowned out. Also, one thing I forgot to mention: the first time Kevin Michael showed up as the lion I didn't mind it, but the other two times it was annoying. Talk about not letting a joke just run naturally. The only thing that makes this more than just a terrible episode is that at least it showed some ambition. The writing was lacklustre as usual, but in the least they ran along with the concept and didn't cop out (except for the "science" ending of course), plus that stylistically it was creative. They emulated the look of the show they were parodying. However, I can't give an episode good points just because it's "accurate", so I'm going with a very mediocre rating. At least it was better than the last 5 premieres! Plus that unlike the last few episodes I've watched I could actually review it. Stuff happened that was worth commenting on. Thank God.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Lisa Serfson isn't a vegetarian.

Is that Troy McClure's head on one of the pikes? When was the last time we saw him?

Speaking of tall pikes, Skinner and his mother were on tall pikes; how did they become rich?

Krusty had genital snerfs.

Doctor Hibbert's potions:
    The Strangler
    Lucy's Cordial (from The Chronicles of Narnia)
    Cure Moderate Wounds
    Red Potion - Restores Health - 30 Rupees
    Green Potion - Restores Magic - 30 Rupees
    Blue Potion - Restores Both! - 100 Rupees
    Barkskin +2
    Ent-Draught
    Polyjuice Potion
    Milk of the Poppy
    Mundane Potion
    Elixir of Madness

Businesses:
    Tannery - John Tanner, owner
    Mill - Robert Miller, owner
    Candy Shop - William Child-Eater, owner
    Amulet Hamlet
    Cold Stone Screamery
    Urban Outhouses
    Squalor Tree
    King Lute's (where King Toot's Music Store normally is)
    Barns for Nobles
    Rural Outfitters
    Sir Duncan's Doughed Naughts (with fresh krullers)
    an Apple Store logo, selling apples with bites taken out of them
    Banana Monarchy
    Fool Locker
    Restoration Bard Wear
    Just Half-Capes
    Hyborian Appeal
    Victarion's Secret
    David's Merkins
    Never 21
    Melric's Melnibones (presumably a reference to Elric of Melnibone)

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Eh, it was okay, was excepting worse, but nothing memorable about it. Voices were okay here, but Julie Kavner sounds way off as both Marge and her mother. Kevin Michael Richardson is not good, but it's getting more easier to tell his voice apart. I don't watch shows like Game of Thrones so I wasn't able to get any of those references. Some jokes hit, other felt flat like usual. Animation and visuals were the best parts of the episode and they saved it from mediocrity. I normally enjoyed Selman-showran episode, but it was his weaker efforts.
    American Dad: Father's Daze (4/10) , Fight and Flight (5.5/10), The Enlightment of Ragi-Baba (6.5/10), Portrait of Francine's Genitals (4/10), Bahama Mama (5.5/10), Roger's Baby (2/10), Ninety North, Zero West (8.5/10), Whole Slotta Love (5/10), The Witches of Langley (8/10), A Nice Night for a Drive (6.5/10), Casino Normale (6/10), Bazooke Steve (4.5/10), Camp Campawanda (6/10), Julia Rogerts (5/10), The Life and Times of Stan Smith (5.5/10), The Bitchin Race (4/10), Family Plan (5/10), The Long Bomb (8./10), Kloger (3/10), Garbage Stan, The Talented Mr. Dingleberry, West to Mexico

Thread Information