View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Moevelous

5 15.15%
  • 4/5: Moestly Positive

3 9.09%
  • 3/5: Moe-Moe

9 27.27%
  • 2/5: Moeving Right Along

13 39.39%
  • 1/5: Please, No Moe

3 9.09%

Thread: Rate & Review: "Moho House" (WABF14)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Moho House" (WABF14)

Season 28, Episode 20
    Original Airdate: May 7, 2017
    Writer: Jeff Martin
    Director: Matthew Nastuk
    Synopsis: Homer and Marge attempt to work on their marriage, not knowing that Mr. Burns and Nigel have a bet on whether Nigel can break them apart. With the successful, albeit unconventional, help of Moe, the couple gets back their mojo.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 05-21-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Blog Entries

THOUGHTS
    - marge roarin is particularly rough to listen to but thats just what you get from watchin modern simpsons
    - why is michael york back. like he was just in an episode as another character and his voice aint anything special!! was there really no other Old English Dude willing to do a voice
    - LOOK AT THEM SPOONING *cut to Homer and Marge eating pudding with spoons* are you jokin me
    - what was that talkin bar rag joke. really id respect it more if they did a full on callback but nah
    - homer beatin moe just weird
    - oh god that take me out to the ball game lord joke. it wasnt funny when homer set it up and ned singin it was NOT funny either
    - the moe/sideshow mel joke while totally unoriginal did make me laugh
    - moe dancing animation also pretty amusing
    - oh no modern marge crying *dies*
    - lolin at homer bein on his knees and suddenly theres a really dirty part of the hallway that isnt there otherwise. also i really doubt bart would be able to throw those thumbtacks IN FRONT of home who was already way past him!!
    - how is "AN ALE OF TWO CITIES" an acceptable pun. they just swapped a word with something Alcohol Related because barney.
    - so nigel walks into the bathroom and makes No noise eh. i call this twist ending... bad!!

this sure was a modern simpsons episode. pretty pedestrian story, little in the way of Jokes and a forgettable subplot. it gets a 5/5 idk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No intro this time around!
    * Maggie climbing out of mailbox
    ** Burns taking the pill got a good laugh, reminds me of my cat.
    -- So Marge suddenly forgives Homer because he ate carrots? Lame.
    * Chief Wiggum with "evidence" box.
    ** Homer's crudely drawn woman
    End of act 1, mediocre. 6/10.
    ** "Take Me Out To The Ball Game, Lord"
    * "Of Time And The Liver"
    OH MY GOD! Her voice at the end crying was horrible!
    3/10 this act.
    * The 81st birthday card scene
    * Surprisingly alright song, good singing, reminds me of Louis Armstrong.
    Closing Thoughts:
    Yet another dismal episode.
    Plot: Yet another cookie-cutter Homer and Marge marriage crisis episode. Homer does something that gets Marge angry, Marge finds someone unlikely and new, Homer and Marge get back together in like 30 seconds via a really stupid method. Bo-ring, paper-thin, and didn't make sense. Plus we get a subplot where Moe goes upscale for like no reason, and Burns does something too I guess. SO much of a bland ep.
    Humor was poor too, the first act was passable but they couldn't sustain 22 minutes, and it fell off. The voice acting was also really bad.
    We got a good song for once, with nice singing, so that's a plus.
    Overall, a mere 3.5/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

This was a good episode for the most part and I'm glad this show is letting itself be emotional and sincere again, but:

MARGE: I'll only be happy with you if you change
    HOMER: *doesn't change, just begs*
    MARGE: I'm happy with you!

If you don't want to have character development then don't do a plot which hinges upon character development, honestly. That's my biggest gripe with this episode.

Other than that, the moment with Moe and Mel was cute, I loved the Gracie Films logo in the flipbook, and "Can't lose what you didn't have" was great. Most of the jokes were really good, and I can't immediately think of any that didn't land.
    Hi, I'm Steven and I had such a sheltered childhood that I've never gone trick-or-treating except at a mall. Hablo español.

RIP Frank Grimes ????-1997

Season 28:
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 5.5/10 | Friends and Family - 5/10 | The Town - 4/10 | THOH XXVII 6.5/10 | Trust But Clarify - 7/10 | There Will Be Buds - 9/10 | Havana Wild Weekend - 6/10 | Dad Behavior - 2/10 | The Last Traction Hero - 5.5/10 | The Nightmare After Krustmas - 4/10 | Pork and Burns - 8/10 | The Great Phatsby - 6/10 | Fatzcarraldo - 5.5/10 | The Cad and the Hat - 6/10 | | Kamp Krustier - 4.5/10 | 22 to 30 - 3.5/10 | A Father's Watch - 7/10 | The Caper Chase - 4/10 | Looking For Mr. Goodbart - 5/10 | Moho House - 6/10 | Dogtown - 6/10

Better than last week. If this episode didn't have the marriage crisis and focused more on Moe, it would have been a decent HD episode, but since they did, it was just ok. 3/5.

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

First impressions:

This plot literally parallels Burns and Smithers' strife to Marge and Homer's. Burns is relieved when he wins the bet to keep Smithers (even though using him as a betting chip - Burns and the Bees says hello,) and Nigel apparently cannot tear them apart even when it seems the odds are stacked in his favor.

However this comes to the problem - where Homer cannot change some problems for Marge, Smithers is more than willing to put a foot down in his relationship, building upon his evergrowing backbone throughout the latter seasons. Burns complies with this new change instead of fighting it(this being using the contract for example.)

Somehow it seems that Burns-Smithers' relationship yet far more extreme and built upon the back of the villain couple trope comes off as less dysfunctional than the Simpsons'. Their relationship is too played as a parallel to the Simpsons' marriage when for example Nigel even points out that they have a better relationship than him and his wife.

But I have to re-watch this, in order to get the full scope of every detail and to rate it properly.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Unless I'm mistaken this would be only the second episode in the show's history after Chief of Hearts where Yeardley had no spoken dialogue whatsoever.
    Not a bad way to earn a paycheck.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 05-07-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    SEASON 29 RANKINGS
    The Serfsons - 2/5 / Springfield Splendor - 4/5 / Whistler's Father - 1.5/5
    THOH XXVIII = The Sweets Hereafter - 3.5/5 / The Exor-Sis - 3/5 / Coralisa - 4.5/5 / MMM... HOMER - 2/5
    Grampy Can Ya Hear Me - 2/5 / The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be - 1.5/5
    Singin' in the Lane - 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken this would be only the second episode in the show's history after Chief of Hearts where Yeardley had no spoken dialogue whatsoever.
    Yeah, considering this happens with Chris Edgerly all the time!

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I'm pretty sure Lisa didn't have any lines. I don't think Bart had more than one, either.

Homer called Nigel "Alfred." Coincidentally, there's a new episode of Gotham on tomorrow night. (Before anyone clicks any of the Reply buttons, yes, I am aware that this has nothing to do with Homer calling him that - well, except that I assume he's referring to Alfred from Batman in general because of Nigel's accent and age.)

Is the fact that Smithers's middle initial is "J" a reasonably well-established thing?

What was on the other 101 (assuming there wasn't a 13th) floors of the Moho House building?

Jeff Martin wrote the music as well as the lyrics to the piano song.

Shit, I just noticed the pun in the R&R poll. I don't know whether to chuckle or groan.

Blog Entries

lol'd at the pathetic attempt to CASH IN on close to you for the scene where homer and marge inexplicably made up. also we finally know what MOHO house is after a year of wild speculation so woo. ok this concludes my review

Quote Originally Posted by TenEight View Post
    Shit, I just noticed the pun in the R&R poll. I don't know whether to chuckle or groan.

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Is the fact that Smithers's middle initial is "J" a reasonably well-established thing?
    Yes! It's believed to have been established since the Simpsons magazine days where they've erroneously named him "Joseph Smithers" before Waylon was established in canon. Whenever Smithers' middle name comes up, it is usually J, as seen on the Simpsons World profile. However it is unknown if the J is a callback to Joseph or it's entirely a different name. Outside of the fandom I don't know how well known this piece of information is, regardless within most Simpsons circles outside of the core Burnsmithers fandom.
    Last edited by SchemingMinor; 05-07-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Boring and predictable marriage crisis episode. The kids barely spoke, which is a shame because having a subplot with them could've been more interesting. 2/5

I think Lisa may have spoken twice, in the first scene of the episode and then when she was playing checkers with Bart. I may have to rewatch this episode (and Chief of Hearts) to verify this.

In "The Simpsons Spin-off Showcase", Yeardley only had one or two lines, when Skinner/Chief Wiggum encountered the family in New Orleans.

2/5

ANOTHER Homer and Marge marriage crisis episode? COME ON!
    ANOTHER Moe tries to woo Marge episode? Been there, done that. (Secrets of a Successful Marriage and Mommie Beerest)

Anyways, some interesting things about this episode:
    -Homer eats "Drunken Donuts"? I thought "Duncan's Doughnuts" was the Dunkin' Donuts equivalent?
    -Sideshow Bob, Paul McCartney, and Elton John are at the Moho House?
    -Homer finally questions Moe calling Marge "Midge"?

I only gave it a 2/5 because Marge's hair was different for most of this episode.

As-I-watch notes:

-So how many episodes this season have begun with a voice-over?
    -That scene with Ned and the ghosts of his wives was pretty depressing, geez.
    -Thought the callback to the talking bar rag was pretty funny (which reminds me I might not have actually seen that episode yet). I also liked the acknowledgement of Moe saying "Midge". It was amusing at first, but then it just started to feel forced.
    -Marge crying all night in bed is pretty dark. Seems to be an overreaction just for this episode's events, but more justified if it's the result of years of disappointment.
    -Flanders' song...yeesh.
    -Itchy at the soirée was a nice wtf.
    -Marge's voice when she receives the box from Homer...that was truly painful. I usually don't complain about voice acting, but that was the worst I've heard in a long time.
    -Bart and Lisa!
    -I always like scenes when it rains. And the autocorrect scene made me laugh.
    -The Shining reference at the end?
    -Well good to know the status quo has been returned to. Wouldn't be The Simpsons without it.

Overall this was a decent episode. My initial reaction to any modern marriage crisis episode is to groan, but it could've been worse. This episode certainly did feel familiar ("Mommie Beerest" comes to mind--Moe changes the bar, Moe and Marge bond, etc.) but I can allow them one marriage crisis episode every now and then. It was frustrating at first because Homer seemed to be really trying, but then he just kind of half-assed it for most of the episode, like usual. We knew the resolution was coming, but like most of the marriage crisis resolutions, it felt rushed. The MoHo house thing was fairly entertaining, but they sure did shoehorn in as many characters as they could. Guess Otto and Ralph weren't in this one.

3/5

so boring I don't remember enough of it to put a decent Review.

On the other hand not so bad that I remember bad stuff to put here as negative.

I guess that's a C+

I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Simpson Season 27 rating: (Rate average: B-)
    Every man's Dream B-/ Cue Detective C+/ Puffless C/ Halloween of Horror A-/ THOHXXVI D+/ Friend with Benefit D-/ Lisa with an 'S' C-/ Paths of Glory A-/ Barthood B-/ The Girl Code D+/ Teenage Mutant Milk-caused Hurdles C-/ Much Apu About Something B-/ Gal of Constant Sorrow B/ Lisa the Veterinarian D-/ The Marge-ian Chronicles A/ The Burns Cage D+/ How Lisa Got Her Marge Back B-/ Fland Canyon A/ To Courier With Love C/ Simprovised B+/ Orange is the new Black A-

Average: B-

Simpson Season 28 Rating:
    Monty Burn's Flying Circus C-/ Friends and Family C/ The Town A/ Treehouse of Horrors XXVII B / Trust But Clarify B+/ There Will Be Buds A+/ Havana Wild Weekend B-/ Dad Behavior C/ The Last Traction Hero C, The Nightmare After Krustmas C-/ Pork and Burns B-/ The Great Phatsby D-/ Fatzcaraldo B-/ The Cad and The Hat B+/ Kamp Krustier B-/ 22 for 30 B+/ A Father's Watch C-/ The Caper Chaser F/ Looking for Mr. Goodbart B-/ Moho House C-/ Dogtown D+

Average: C+

Simpsons Season 29 Rating:
    Serfsons D-/ Springfield Splendor B+/ Whistler's Daughter B/ TreeHouse of Horror XXVIII F/Grampy Can Ya Hear Me B/The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be C-/

It Tastes Like Burning Purpleberries's Avatar

Moho House was pretty much pretty middle-of-the-road for me. The plot was just your typical marriage crisis plot except just this time, the episode has an uncharacteristically ungrateful Marge. I would say I've seen worse versions of this plot though. The Moho plot with Moe was kinda decent. There were a decent amount of decent jokes and decent gags like the title of Barney's novel that elevate this from 2/5 to 2.5/5. Jeff Martin has just been pretty disappointing since he came back to the show.

Rounded up to 3/5 for the polls.
    Simpsons Season 29 Ratings: The Serfsons: 3/5 (B-) Springfield Splendor: 4.5/5 (A-) Whistler's Father: 2/5(C)THOH XVIII: 4/5(B+) Grampy Can Ya Hear Me: 3.25-3.5/5(B/B-)The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be: 2.5/5(C+/C) Singin' in the Lane: 2/5(C/C-)
    Bob's Burgers Season 8 Grades: Brunchsquatch: B+ Silence of the Louise: A- The Wolf of Wharf Street: A Sit Me Baby One More Time: A- Thanks-hoarding: A-

Steven Universe Season 5 Grades: Stuck Together: B+ The Trial: A+ Off Colors: A- Lars' Head: A- Dewey Wins: C Gemcation: B Raising the Barn: B+ Back to the Kindergarten: A Sadie Killer: B/B+ Kevin Party: B

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Kevin Spacey violated Tyrant! D DEBBS's Avatar

Another M-E-H episode.

Blog Entries

Decent episode, despite the worn out marriage crisis plot that didn't try to do much different. I like the idea of having Burns and Nigel making a bet that Nigel could seperate them, but I would've liked to see more actual competition from Burns' side. In episodes like this I really can't get into Homer's character being so stupid that he doesn't treat Marge right, and from Marge's side you'll only see her nagging and making a big deal out of everything. I did like how they integrated Moe into the plot where he's interested in Marge again, but shows a completely different side from what we've seen from him in Mommie Beerest. Now he actually felt bad for trying to steal his best friends wife, and even couples them together at the end. This is actually how I like to see Moe and not in Mommie Beerest, where Homer saved his bar and what does Moe do in return.... try to steal his wife without any form of regret. You could say its part of his scumbag behaviour but I like to think that someone like Moe has a more kind side somewhere.

I noticed some things like the name ''Drunken Donuts'' instead of the usual ''Duncan's Doughnuts'' on the box with donuts. They returned both the ghosts of Maude and Edna yet again to be with Ned for the evening. For some reason Sideshow Bob is at Moho House. A callback with the talking bar rag where apparently Moe only imagined him. Marge crying all night felt pretty dark, also some of her voice acting felt painful to hear like when she gets the box. Marge actually keeps her hair different for the whole episode, not something she usually does. The kids only have very little roles, I don't even remember hearing Lisa at all. Also I like how they fnally concluded the Midge name to Homer (resulting in punching Moe) and Marge actually getting annoyed when she gets called by that.

2.5/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I had to stop watching about halfway through. I can't stand another marriage in crisis episode.

Blog Entries

Well, the season's almost over, and I guess they couldn't let it end without one more marriage crisis episode or another plot involving Mr. Burns, so for the penultimate episode of this season, we have a plot that tries to combine both.

Things start out with very bizarrely when they skip pretty much the entire intro, even the opening choir and the golden "The Simpsons" text in the clouds, and just start at the couch gag, which is a joke about Simpsons Chica Pets. I'll admit, I'd liked it, it's pretty cute. Then the episode opens up in Springfield at night, and for some reason Moe is narrating about what's going on. What, another episode featuring a character narrating?! Didn't we just have Bart do that last episode? What is it with this weird running gag of having episodes narrated by characters? Then Moe cuts to the Simpsons house, and the golden text and choir finally show, and Moe says that the singers for the opening choir are all dead. I don't know if that's true or not.

So the plot actually starts with Marge. Bart, and Lisa angrily waiting at the dinner table for Homer to show up. Well, only Bart and Marge are annoyed, Lisa is just staring blankly ahead at the wall for some reason. Homer calls the house and says he's coming, and then someone throws a pork rind at it, which makes Homer happy. Homer drives like a madman and runs into Ned's mailbox, causing it fly through the window into the Simpsons' dinner table, and then Maggie comes crawling out of it. But wait, what was Maggie doing in the Flanders mailbox in the first place, and how did she get there? Either Homer took Maggie with him when he went out and when he was driving she flew out of his car and into the mailbox and caused them both to start flying (this meaning that Homer almost murdered his daughter through his insanity), or Maggie just left the house on her own and went into Ned's mailbox until Homer hit it and Marge just never noticed her infant daughter disappearing because she's become really incompetent and neglectful this season. Both are equally plausible situations in my mind. But what really bugs me is how Marge has absolutely no reaction to this, you would think she would freak out or scream in horror at seeing how her youngest child was thrown through the window, but she just puts Maggie in her chair while having a blank expression on her face, acting like nothing weird is happening and everything is perfectly normal. It's only a minute in, and I'm already confused and have no idea what's going on.

Homer walks in with a funny green hat as part of some dumb joke about wanting to get ready for St. Patrick's Day and Marge angrily wants to know if Homer was at Moe's. Um, yeah, of course he was, what else would he be doing? It's like whenever they do a new episode with a "Lisa has no friends" plot, where Lisa acts like the idea that no one wants to be her friend is some shocking new revelation. Why treat long-running gags like new ideas? Marge gets upset that Homer was out getting cheap hats, but she sighs in disappointment and leaves. Then Marge makes some comments about how the flowers Homer brought are wilting and Homer keeps asking if their metaphor to their marriage, because the writers don't believe in subtly. Meanwhile the kids say and do absolutely nothing at all during this. Homer brings up the dinner the next day to Lenny and Carl, and suddenly Burns walks in with two people. He introduces one of them as Nigel, an old friend of his from boarding school, voiced by Michael York for some reason, even though York just voiced an old veterinarian last season (who even reappeared in this season during the Plopper episode). I thought for a while that this would lead to a joke where the two characters would meet up, similar to when Family Guy did a joke about Dr. Hartman and Carter realizing they have the same voice, but that doesn't happen. I will say I was surprised we actually learned Nigel's name here though, since the last couple of episodes seem to go on without mention the name of the character the special guest star is playing or only bring it up once. I mean, Caper Chase went through the whole episode without mentioning the name of Jason Alexander's character. We also meet Nigel's nameless wife, who's voiced by...Tress MacNeille in a British accent! Wow, it's a been since Tress has voiced another random, pointless female character.

So Burns and Nigel are walking through the plant and Nigel makes some comments that sound like he's hitting on Smithers. Then we get a joke about how Smithers has to forcibly make Burns swallow a pill because Burns being a kooky old man is all he is anymore. Marge shows up with a picnic basket and there's a pretty good joke about Lenny wanting to stay and watch. Marge says that their marriage is almost finished but they can still try to fix it. Wait, because he showed up late and was drunk? Doesn't he do that all the time? I get that the idea is that Marge is reaching a breaking point because of all of Homer's shit (because the writers love to push the idea their marriage is horrible and that Marge is always depressed), but it just seems bizarre that she only gets mad at Homer for minor things he's done wrong in marriage crisis episodes but then has no reaction when Homer does something terrible in a regular episode. This is exactly why making Homer a dick who always does something stupid and selfish and having no consistency on how the other characters react to him is a terrible idea. Now we have episodes where Homer does something awful like when he completely neglects Bart to spend time with Milhouse or blow $600 on apps and Marge will just barely do anything, but other times she'll flip out when he does minor things like wanting to spend his time eating sushi in a restaurant instead of listening to his wife, or not getting his medicine because of his narcolepsy. At this point, you might as well have Marge flip a coin to decide if she'll be mad at Homer this episode or not. Anyway Marge asks Homer to change and he agrees to and proves it by eating a carrot that Marge put in the picnic basket for some reason, and this turns her on...what? But then it turns out Homer didn't eat the carrot and was lying to Marge, because of course he was lying Meanwhile, after more old man jokes, Burns sees the two of them kissing and uses it to prove to Nigel that love conquers all...wait....what??! Why Burns ever something like that?! But Nigel says that he can break up the two to prove his point, and the two have a bet. Nigel comes buy to offer Homer a drink but he tries to refuse because his marriage is in a good place right now, which he says its rare. Because, you see, the joke is that Homer and Marge's relationship is always on the verge of collapsing! Nigel gets him to come by telling him it might screw things up with Burns if he refuses, so Homer agrees and texts Marge's some emoji's to explain the situation, but she doesn't understand them at all.

Marge goes outside to see if Homer is home yet, and sees a bunch of citizens in their houses, including Disco Stu happily dancing with a woman, which I believe is the first time we've seen Disco Stu in a long while. We also Ned giving harps to the ghosts of Edna and Maude. So I guess its been officially long enough that it's ok to make jokes to jokes and references about Edna being dead without it being considered offensive to Marcia Wallace? But I guess we'll know how Edna died or why nobody has replaced her as the teacher for Bart's classroom yet. Though this is actually the second joke about Ned's dead wives being ghosts they've made this season, the first one was in the season premiere, meaning that the first Burns episodes and last Burns episode of the season had a joke about Ned's dead wives. That would almost be clever if it was intentional, which it obviously wasn't. Meanwhile, Homer is at Moe's with Nigel, and for some reason he turns a wrapper into a swan. There's a joke about Lenny wanting to use Moe's rag as a tissue but Moe gets mad because it's his talking rag, because I guess the writers wanted us to remember that the talking rag episode existed. The rag doesn't actually talk here though, because I assume Jeremy Irons had better things to do with his time then come back for a single line. Nigel tries to convince Homer that he married too early, which leads Homer to fantasize about a stick drawing and a syrup bottle for some reason. Homer decides to go home to his wife (showing concern for her for once) and there's a pretty funny joke about Homer realizing that the 'Midge' Moe always refers to is Marge and actually punches him out over talking about how hot he thinks she is. Nigel offers to give Moe a better establishment as part of his plot to ruin Homer's marriage. Homer goes home late but Marge doesn't want to her him explain why. I don't know, I feel this is a little out of character, like I think Marge would listen to Homer's story but still be mad at him for blowing her off earlier. Then we got a horribly shitty minute long montage of Homer sleeping while Marge spends the whole night crying. Then at the end Marge says her night was "the usual". Man, it sure is gut-bustlingly hilarious how their marriage is always about to fall apart and Marge is always crying and weeping because of how miserable she is, huh?

At breakfast, Marge is still pissed at Homer and makes him to the baseball game with Ned. This leads to an awful scene where Ned sings along with his kids for a really long time. Oh god, first Julie Kavner crying, now Harry Shearer singing? Who thought this was a good idea? Once again, Bart and Lisa have no dialogue and show more of a reaction to Ned's singing then to their own parents fighting. After a decent joke involving Wiggum putting in money in a parking meter, Homer discovers that Moe's Tavern is closed. This leads to a rare appearance by Barney, who's sad because his manuscript is still inside, which I thought was pretty funny. Moe shows up in a new car and announces that Nigel gave him a swanky new bar called Moho House? Why is it called Moho House? I have no idea, it's never really explained. Also there's a joke about they built the place over Jebediah Springfield's birthplace. But wasn't he beloved by the town, why would they destroy his birthplace? Everyone wants to go to the new bar, and we see a bunch of celebrities, including...Sideshow Bob? But he's a wanted criminal, what's he doing here?! And there's a life-size Itchy running around, because he's real too...just...what? Rainer Wolfcastle shows up too. Hey, another character we haven't seen in a while! But he's only here so the writers make a lame joke about Terminator: Genisys because Moe says he won't let him in because the film sucked. Homer and Marge head to Moho House (if it's supposed to be a high-level establishment, how can they afford to go there?) and we see that Marge has cut her hair. Wait...what?! Marge's hair is an iconic part of her design! I admit, this wouldn't normally be a problem, we never see her cut her hair or learn why she did it (is it because she wants to change herself? She wants to be more independent? What's the reason?). And the worst part is that no one ever comments on it, they act like nothing's changed! It's like if they had a Simpsons episode where Homer had an afro and a six-pack and nobody acted or commented like anything was different. I just....I don't understand this episode at all.

Homer and Marge show up in the party and there's an obviously dubbed in line where Marge says "See ya". Nigel adds to the bet by placing his fortune against Smithers, and there's a pretty well animated moment of Burns messing with Smithers hair. Once again, good animation wasted in a dumb episode. Moe decides to flirt with Marge and there's a lame joke where it looks like he's talking to the audience but he's really talking to Sideshow Mel, like when it looked like Dr. Hibbert was talking to the audience when Burns got shot but was really talking to Wiggum. Marge says she and Homer aren't spending much time together. Wait, then why did they go in the same car if their mad at each other, why didn't they come in separate cars? Even minor details make no sense here. Moe gets the pianist (voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, of course) to play a song and he and Marge danced as Marge is charmed by him. Really? Moe is a disgusting, crazed loner with a history of violence, ran a seedy bar, is often treated by other character as having such a horrifying appearance that he looks like a monster, and Marge is charmed by him now? Nonsense. In fact, how did Moe become popular in the first place? Smithers tries to save the day and gives Homer's a gift that was intended for his own mother that he was just carrying around for some reason, but Homer gets mad that he has to go and save his marriage. Marge continues to be charmed by Moe for some bizarre reason. However, Moe feels guilty, so he runs off. Later, Marge asks why Homer can't change to the nameless bartender, and he says it's because he knows Marge won't really do anything to stop him and that if he acts differently, something is wrong, so when Homer shows up with the gift (and Marge is now happy to see him for some reason....wasn't she mad at him?), she immediately runs off crying. This scene is just so awful for so many reasons. First, after all that time whining about how he should change, the moment it looks like he is, Marge starts running off and crying, making her look like a hypocrite. Second, we have to hear Julie Kavner cry again, resulting in everyone suffering: the audience for having to hear it, and Kavner herself for having to cry despite sounding like she's dying. Why can't the writers stop making episodes where Marge cries?! And third, and worst of all, that means this conflict was now being prolonged thanks to some random, nameless bartender. Not even Nigel, who's actually behind all this, just this random bartender.

So at homer, they open the box and discover its earrings, but Marge knows that he didn't get it for her because there's a card in it saying it belongs to an old woman. Ok, that would have actually justified Marge's anger earlier if she had known that the gift wasn't meant for her. Why did the writers go with all that nonsense with the bartender earlier instead of this clearly much more logical way to continue the conflict. Marge then says she's mad at him because he spent the whole evening away from her, which proves that he doesn't really want to be close to her. What?!! You didn't want to be with him either! Marge even said during the cat ride to Moho House that she's going to prove she can have fun without Homer and even spilt with him willingly at the party and telling him goodbye. Why is she criticizing Homer for doing the same thing she was happily doing earlier? I thought Marge becoming an ignorant moron in the later half of this season was bad enough, but this characterization is even worse, now we have Marge as a hypocritical jerk who gets mad at Homer for doing the exact same thing she did. Marge runs off and we see that Lisa and Bart are playing checkers together (I'm surprised Bart didn't start eating them, considering how dumb he's written as now), and then Bart gives his only line in the entire episode where he says he doesn't respect Homer and throws tacks for him to step on. Ok, it was cute, if random, to see Bart and Lisa playing checkers together, but why are they having no reaction to their parents fighting? In the older episodes, they used to freak out or comment on their parents when their marriage started crumbling. Here, they basically have zero reaction to anything that's going on. It just kills all this drama they keep trying to pull in this episode if the kids don't even care. Also, Lisa has no dialogue at all this episode. I think it's the first time since Chief of Hearts where that is the case.

Moe is wondering if he should keep romancing Marge, so the pianist from earlier sings a song about how it's wrong to go after Marge. Also Barney makes an appearance still outside the tavern. Is this the most Barney has appeared in like, years? It feels that way to me. Moe decides to fix everything and texts Marge to come by Moho House, and we get a weird joke where a bagger at a grocery story was a psychiatrist. Marge shows up (it's implied that she was actually romantically interested in Moe now...what?), but Homer shows up too and Moe reveals he set this meeting up to get Homer to appreciate his wife. Also Marge gets mad at Moe for calling her Midge for some reason. Homer reveals he drew a flipbook of them going to the moon together, and they become a couple again. Yay, they didn't actually have to work to solve their problems or anything, Moe just resolved everything himself and gave them all the answers! Hooray! And wow, Homer and Marge didn't break up, who could have seen this happening?! But seriously, after that whole business where they made it look like Homer and Marge were getting it separated only to reveal it was all a dream within a dream within a tattoo...or something...why do the writers keep writing marriage crisis episodes? There really is no where to go beyond separation other then doing an episode where they get a divorce, but the writers will never do that because they have no guts. I guess they keep writing these episode because their easy stories to write that must take like five minutes to crap out: Homer acts like an asshole and Marge almost leaves him until she doesn't. At this point, I don't even care anymore if they stay a couple. You might at well have them get a divorce, it doesn't matter to me anymore. Hell, since this show is so desperate for gimmicks to boast the ratings, why don't they just actually do a marriage crisis episode as the season premiere in the final season that ends with them actually getting a divorce, then you could do more plots about Homer being alone and trying to rediscover himself while he and Marge slowly rekindle their love. Sure, it would probably be complete shit, but it would, at least, be something different.

Anyway, Nigel and Burns are watching all this (how long were they waiting for them to show up?), and Burns gets all of Nigel's money because he lost the bet. However, Smithers says that Nigel was just in Burns head and we see that Nigel is gone, so Burns rips apart his check, but after he leaves Nigel walks out of the washroom and reveals he does exist. Wow, isn't it just amazing that he apparently walked off-screen to go to the bathroom while Burns was turned around without making a single noise? Like he just fucking teleported to the bathroom? But what was the point of this twist, did the writers actually think fans would fall for it? We saw Nigel talking to Homer by himself earlier, were we suppose to believe Burns imagined that? But what really annoys me is Burns falling for this whole scheme. We've seen Burns act like a kooky old man before, but now we've finally reached the logical extreme of that characterization by having him become so senile, he thinks he imagined an old friend. How depressing. Anyway, Smithers said he stopped the bet because he was pissed at Burns for betting him, and Nigel makes out with him. So he was flirting with him earlier after all! Then we get a random Shining reference for no reason. Then Homer and Marge continue to dance while the pianist sings a decent song. I guess Kevin Michael Richardson is the only actor on this show who can still sing. Also he sings about how Moho House will be shut down for no explained reason and Moe will go back to his tavern. And then he declares the show is over. But we still go through the pointless 4th act of this episode, as Smithers changes his contract so Burns can't bet on him anymore. And that's the end of the episode, thank god.

What a horrible mess of an episode. Watching it felt like a chore, which is why it took me so long to get through it so I could review. Everything was just so poorly done. The main plot was just so dull and tired. Every cliché was pulled off: Homer does something stupid and moronic, Marge starts weeping and crying, the two almost break apart, but then their marriage is fixed at the end. Actually, it was even worse this time then usual, because they didn't even fix their marriage on their own, instead Moe is the who fixes everything pretty much on his own out of guilt and with Homer's flipbook, meaning Homer and Marge didn't even earn their own happy ending. Really, why are they still together at this point? There doesn't seem to be any plausible reason left other then just pity, except for The Last Traction Hero and Kamp Krustier both suggesting that it's because they have a great sex life. Moe owning a gigantic bar and becoming super popular was a bizarre and dumb idea. Not only has this been done before, but it's even dumber then those previous times. Moe is widely unpopular and hated by almost everyone and is usually considered a freak, yet now everyone wants to go to his hip bar and he's the most popular guy in time. It might have worked if they spend more time on the "Moe is popular" aspect, but it's just a lame set-up to get Marge to start falling for him. Speaking of bizarre ideas, Marge changers her hairstyle, but we never find why and no one comments on. It just feels like it's there for the sake of being there. This whole episode is like that, where almost everything that happens has this feeling that the writers are shrugging their shoulders and going "just cause" so they can hurry up and finish this story. This whole episode feels a script crapped out at the last minute to fill in a slot in the season.

Bart and Lisa barely appear in the episode, they have no reaction to anything that is going on, and Lisa never even utters a single line. Why are they even in the episode if they ended up doing nothing? You could have given them a sub-plot to do. In fact, I honestly believe what they should have done was cannibalized ideas from this episode and Kamp Kruster to fuse into one episode. Think about it, you could do a story where a tired Homer and Marge sent their kids to camp so they can be alone and rest for a few weeks, only for them to start fighting, leading Marge to wonder if their marriage was a mistake and that the only reason their still together is because they've been too distracted by their kids to pay attention to their marriage (which was an idea that was brought up in Yokel Chords, but I don't believe has ever been reference in the series again). You could have done the wacky jokes with Bart and Lisa at camp and a serious plot with Homer and Marge. That way, instead of two irredeemably awful episodes, we could get one maybe decent episode. But nope, instead we got this. I also really disliked how Marge was written here. Not only does she immediately run away screaming and crying after Homer is giving her a gift as an apology (despite complaining earlier about how he won't change), but then she gets pisses at him for spending time away from her at the party, even though she herself was happily doing the exact same thing, and even mentioned earlier that she was going to spend time by herself, Moe by herself, yet she gets pissed at Homer for doing the same thing she did and is trying to pass herself as being morally superior to him in this situation, when she clearly isn't. This wouldn't be bad if this was actually acknowledged, but this whole thing is treated as entirely Homer's fault, and we're suppose to side with Marge and think she is "right". Man, you can tell this crap really bugs me because I think Marge came off as a bigger asshole to Homer in this episode. That's how screwed up this episode is.

The Burns plot was crap. Burns spouting about love was insane, seeing all those old man jokes were just sad, and the ending relying on him being senile was a really stupid and depressing end. Not to mention the "twist" where they try to pretend Nigel wasn't real for a moment was stupid and made no sense since we saw Nigel without Burns at several points. Nigel was another mediocre one-shot character. While Michael York did the best he could do, Nigel's biggest problem to me is the same as Jason Alexander's character in Caper Chase: He feels redundant. Why introduce an evil billionaire when you already have one on the show? Is the show now bored of Mr. Burns? There was also a thing where it seemed like Nigel was into Smithers, but that never really went anywhere except for a quick kiss. I was also annoyed at how, despite causing all the problems, Homer and Marge never find out Nigel was trying to ruin his marriage and he walks away completely unscathed with no comeuppance whatsoever. Nigel wasn't cool or interesting enough to pull that kind of ending off. The only whose actions made any sense was Smithers, who was pissed at being part of a bet. Some of the animation and jokes were decent though.

Overall, this was an already dull and lifeless episode, made even worse by confusing and unexplained holes in logic, characters having sudden shifts that are not well explained, an unearned happy ending, one-shot character that feels redundant, and a general sense of laziness. I would normally give this episode a 2, but Marge's hypocrisy and the dumb ending where Nigel disappears for a moment lowered my score even further. I give this episode a 1/5, one of the worst of the season.

Only one episode left and then the season is over. I can't wait to finally put this season behind me.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 05-15-2017 at 08:22 AM.

maybe a little rustic CousinMerl's Avatar

(I first want to say that I apologize if I regurgitate things which you @AlphaOmega said above; I do agree on a lot of your points and may repeat much of it since you covered the episode so well).

I think this was a pretty bad but most of all very bland and just plain boring episode which I barely cared about. The plot of Homer and Marge having yet another marriage crisis (a plotline which I am pretty tired of) and this being used as the basis of a bet made by Mr. Burns old British buddy Nigel who bets his fortune that he can get them to separate while Burns bets the opposite and puts Smithers on the line because Nigel wants him and the two of them trying to manipulate the whole crisis from behind the scenes was surprisingly empty and mediocre and had a lot of stuff that either didn't work, was poorly executed and/or didn't make much sense; it had a few nice ideas and some decent moments but was pretty sloppy and overstuffed, undercooked and had some iffy characterizations and many disappointing, unnecessary and sometimes nonsensical decisions were made, all of which led to it's downfall.

I didn't care for or even like the marriage crisis which at times became pretty unpleasant and wasn't any entertaining to watch. A lot of felt rehashed and while Homer was his usual unappreciative and oafish self, Marge was worse; her having a breakdown and crying all night (which was pretty disturbingly unfunny), gives up on Homer and decides to prove to him and herself that she can have a good time on her own led to some dumb choices such as her finding Moe quite charming and magnetic (that was ridiculous) and turning into an bitter hypocrite; it's kind of wierd I disliked her way more than Homer. Moe was okay as the middle man but I didn't care for him or his part (and him being so popular made no sense) & how the crisis was resolved was rushed and unnatural. Burns and Nigel's side of the story was pretty dull and the joke about Mr. Burns getting tricked by Nigel's sudden and brief "disappearance" and tearing up the check because of it was silly.

As for the humor, there were actually a few decent ones here and there which were kind of fun but for the most part they were duds, and even though I didn't really care about the character of Nigel I think Michael York (wow, they really like to use him on the show) did as well as he could with the underdeveloped material he got. On another note, It felt kind of wierd that Bart, Lisa and also Maggie got sidelined the whole episode and were just props (and Lisa never even spoke once); I really do think they could have used them to some extent to counter the marriage crisis (it also could have added a more emotional, human element), but the episode was so busy with the other three plotlines so it wouldn't have fit (and probably not have worked so well either, but cutting Moe's involvement and added it could have been better).

So overall, it was a disappointing episode which despite yet another uninspired marriage crisis plot probably could have worked out but here it didn't and with the episode being all over the place it left the final product suffering; this needed to be handled way better than it was (and calling it Moho House when that building was just a relatively minor part of the plot made little sense). I don't think it was godawful as it had a few okay bits like the few nice jokes but it's a near bottom grade one for me, much due to it being so dull and boring and garnering very little interest.

1.5/5 rounded up to 2/5

I think I'm a minority here, but that was great, the best marriage crisis episode since Dangers on A Train. 4.5 / 5 (5 for the poll).

The episode has its highlights: the personality of Moe and Smithers, the style of Marge, the origin of the conflict and its resolution, the scene of the drawing that gives Homer to his wife, the approach that is given to the repetitive theme. However, it has some negatives: Nigel is boring and Homer acts like a moron. Ah, and the horrible scene of Marge crying all night. The first time I saw it, I doubted if this was a bad episode with many good things, or a good episode with some bad things... but after seeing it again, I can say that I liked it<br>

Note: 7/10 (4/5 for the poll)

Thread Information