View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Mewtwo

6 16.22%
  • 4/5: Charizard

5 13.51%
  • 3/5: Pikachu

12 32.43%
  • 2/5: Pidgey

6 16.22%
  • 1/5: Caterpie

8 21.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Looking for Mr. Goodbart" (WABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Looking for Mr. Goodbart" (WABF13)

Season 28, Episode 19
    Original Airdate: April 30, 2017
    Writer: Carolyn Omine
    Director: Michael Polcino
    Synopsis: Bart gets in trouble on Grandparents Day at school and is forced to hang out with Skinner’s mother as punishment. After spending time with various grandmas in the neighborhood, he learns the benefits of hanging out with the elderly, but eventually recognizes the dangers of taking advantage of them. Meanwhile, Peekimon Get has taken over the town of Springfield.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 05-07-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Blog Entries

COMMENTS
    - good night AND a tbbt theme! calm down!
    - lol that insanely tight frame on lenny when he goes GOSH THIS IS A KIDS GAME I SHOULDNT PLAY IT. really couldnt tell that was leading to a joke
    - that hans moleman car crash joke would've been ok if it ended the scene. instead comic book guy has to come out and go NOPE!!!!!! like thanks.
    - oh yeah bart narrates some of this. why.
    - bart yellin TAKIN A PISS cmon
    - how would bart not know how to look something up!
    - ugh that slippery slope joke
    - UGH that song. doesnt even come at an appropriate moment in the episode. smh
    - why would every tree have wifi!! data is a thing!!
    - sure am glad we get a reprise of that #^*&ing song

this episodes main plot was unfocused and the peekimon parkdy sucked. every time they said peekimon i basically got Ill. thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

** Nice nod to 30th anniversary.
    -- Which turns into a lame Big Bang Theory Parody.
    * "Teachers beat us when your gone"
    -- Lame prolonged silence joke.
    --- "PEEKIMON GET" worst parody name?
    * "Congratulations, Enslaved"
    ** "Nipply"
    --- REALLY lame prolonged gag of people getting the snake.
    * "Homer stirring vodka
    - Another stretched out gag with Bart opening various doors.
    ** Gertie's voice
    End of act 1, mediocre. 6.5/10.
    * "Taking the piss"
    End of act 2, awful! 1/10
    --- Absolutely terrible Pokemon theme parody, WAY off key!
    Closing Thoughts:
    One of the worst episodes of the year.
    So the A Plot is where Bart pretends to be women's grandsons, for some reason, and then he bonds with some old woman. This plot could have had some good emotional weight, but it was so undeveloped and thin and makes no sense.
    The B plot... GUH! Homer and Lisa (Why Lisa? Why not Bart? Very OOC for Bart to NOT be interested) become addicted to Pokemon Go- I mean PEEKIMON GET. And that's ALL there is to it, no substance. Just Homer and Lisa playing the game which has tons of awful parodies of Pokemon (PIKASAUR), and then the plots merge, which I DID feel was kinda creative. However, it was still a terrible, cashed in attempt to stay relevant, and did nothing more to kill time.
    The humor sucked. The first act had a good amount of good jokes, but the rest was entirely laughless and included such gems as the entire population of Springfield catching Pokemon in a painfully stretched gag, Bart answering women's doors in another lame stretched gag, and tons of flat jokes and lame PokePuns.
    And the SONG? I hate the opening theme of Pokemon to begin with (Sounds like third-rate Bon Jovi) and this is even worse, as Lisa and Homer sing in an entirely different key from the instrumentals! Even if i'm not a fan of a lot of the other songs at least they could stay on pitch. And the worst part is we hear it twice!
    Only second to "Great Phatsby" for worst of the year. 2/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Count me in the minority, but I enjoyed this episode quite a bit, being a big Pokemon fan, and yes, I still play Pokemon Go, especially since they added the Johto Pokemon to the game a couple months ago, and my college's campus is a great place to play it! (But I am way more careful when playing it than Homer was.) As for saying that they were behind with the times, keep in mind the episode probably was written a little while after the game came out and it was big news, but it takes months to produce an episode, hence it airing nine months later. Though I liked it, it wasn't the best of the season, though; that goes to "The Town."

Now on to the rest of the episode...
    I enjoyed the shout-out to the "Good Night" sketch at the start and the Big Bang Theory intro parody. And did anyone else notice when they showed the created/developed by screen at the end, they played the end of the post-1992 closing credits theme, instead of the end of the opening theme? That was an interesting variation. (Even though the episodes don't really use it as a closing theme that much anymore...)
    I'm not surprised the Comic Book Guy was also into the game, but I WAS surprised people like Ned Flanders, Gil and Sideshow Mel also were. I guess when they were playing the game in the Kwik-E-Mart, the store chain was having a tie-in promotion to the game, like a few real-life store chains do. I also liked seeing the names of all the different dead Simpsons characters on the gravestones, including Homer dancing on Frank Grimes's grave.
    I liked Homer mistaking the skunk for a Poke-er, Peekimon, and realizing the truth his "AAH! It's real!" The "Itchy and Scratchy" cartoon was also funny, especially the ending when the chef commits suicide among reacting to Itchy's mayhem.
    I also liked the bit with the old woman using an electrolarynx to talk, but "Robot Chicken" making Fred Flintstone speaking through one due to years of smoking Winston cigarettes was much funnier (and I don't find people using electrolarynxs funny in real life.)
    Mr. Skinner has a reel-to-reel tape recorder in his room? And I only have a record player and cassette recorder, and a clock-radio-CD player. (My college has a couple of reel-to-reel recorders, but we almost never use them anymore.)
    I also enjoyed the parody of the original Pokemon anime dub theme (which is my favorite anime Pokemon theme, especially the full-length version.) And when the owl bites Homer's nose, they used that Hanna-Barbera cartoon bite sound effect again... (Can't Travis Powers record a more realistic animal biting sound?)
    I will say, I thought Bart and Phoebe's friendship was rather sweet, but I mostly enjoyed the Peekimon stuff, so I give it a 3.5 out of 5.
    And I also really liked the Gracie Films logo with all the Peekimon characters!
    (Yeah, I will admit the Peekimon name is kind of lame; it brings back memories of "Cosmic Wars" in "Co-Dependant's Day.")
    Last edited by wiley207; 04-30-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Vogelhaus in deiner Seele TenEight's Avatar

A-plot was unfocused but it had cute moments. Maybe this episode would have turned out better if they focused on developing their main plot instead of introducing a useless B-plot which I hated.

And oh my word, ignoring the fact that it's dated, the Pokemon Go parody was terrible and uninspired. Instead of putting any effort into making fun of it, they just renamed and redesigned all the creatures and threw in some jokes about how addicting it is.

Other things:
    • I've still got the BBT theme stuck in my head.
    • I would have liked those scenes with Bart bonding with Phoebe more if he wasn't being such a little snotball in them.
    • The chalkboard gag with Abe was the best part of the episode and made me laugh out loud.
    • ...Aaaaand they're using Frank Grimes's grave to catch Peekimin. Great.
    • Things went well for Skinner and they didn't immediately take it away from him?! It's a miracle!!
    • Speaking of Skinner, "egg yolks scare me" was funny but I hate how much they're wimpifying him.
    • I loved all the pet names that Bart gave his fake grandmas.
    • The character designs in the anime sequence creeped me out and didn't even look like Pokemon. Also the parody version of the song was bad.
    • Has there been an unusually high amount of narrated episodes lately or is that just me?

I think I'd have to rewatch the episode to form a conclusive opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    - why would every tree have wifi!! data is a thing!!
    Pokemon Go was an infamous data-guzzler. More people would prefer to play on wi-fi.

Though, I don't think the writers knew that.
    Hi, I'm Steven and one time in high school I started crying because I couldn't figure out how to order fast food. Hablo espańol.

RIP Frank Grimes ????-1997

Season 28:
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 5.5/10 | Friends and Family - 5/10 | The Town - 4/10 | THOH XXVII 6.5/10 | Trust But Clarify - 7/10 | There Will Be Buds - 9/10 | Havana Wild Weekend - 6/10 | Dad Behavior - 2/10 | The Last Traction Hero - 5.5/10 | The Nightmare After Krustmas - 4/10 | Pork and Burns - 8/10 | The Great Phatsby - 6/10 | Fatzcarraldo - 5.5/10 | The Cad and the Hat - 6/10 | | Kamp Krustier - 4.5/10 | 22 to 30 - 3.5/10 | A Father's Watch - 7/10 | The Caper Chase - 4/10 | Looking For Mr. Goodbart - 5/10 | Moho House - 6/10 | Dogtown - 6/10

It Tastes Like Burning Purpleberries's Avatar

This was decent, I guess. The A-plot could've been better. Bart and Phoebe's thing was kinda sweet although it felt underdeveloped because the A-plot jumped around(if you get what I'm trying to say). And dang, what Phoebe was going to do was kinda dark. There were some okay jokes and gags here and there but nothing really funny. The Pokemon Go plot was pretty much all the Pokemon Go jokes you would expect and that Homer/Lisa version of the Pokemon theme song was just ugh. Although, seeing Homer and Lisa bond was kinda sweet and the B-plot had its moments. This episode might have been good if they took out the Pokemon Go subplot and focused more on Bart and Phoebe. I'll post more of my thoughts later.

For now, 3/5.
    Last edited by Purpleberries; 05-07-2017 at 06:16 AM.
    Simpsons Season 28 Ratings: Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus: 2/5 Friends and Family: 3.5/5 The Town: 4.5/5 THOH XVII:2/5 Trust but Clarify: 3/5 There Will Be Buds: 5/5 Havana Wild Weekend: 1.5/5 Dad Behavior: 2/5 The Last Traction Hero: 4/5 The Nightmare Before Krustmas: 3.5/5 Pork and Burns: 3.5/5 The Great Phatsby: 4/5 Fatzcarraldo: 2/5 The Cad and the Hat: 1.5/5 Kamp Krustier: 2/5 22 for 30: 4.5/5 A Father's Watch: 4.3/5 Caper Chase: 0/5 Looking for Mr. Goodbart: 3/5 Moho House: 2.5/5 Dogtown: 2/5 Session Average:2.9/5(Mediocre)

Bob's Burgers Season 7 Grades: Flu-louise:B+ Sea Me Now: A- Teen-a Witch: B- They Serve Horses, Don't They?: B- Large Brother, Where Fart Thou: B+ The Quirk-ducers: N/A The Last Gingerbread House on the Left: A- Ex Mach Tina: A Bob Actually: A+ There's No Business Like Mr. Business Business: B A Few Gurt Men: B+ Like Gene for Chocolate: B The Grand Mama-Budapest Hotel: N/A Aquaticism: B Ain't Miss Debatin': A Eggs for Days: A- Zero Larp Thirty: B The Laser-nith: A- Thelma and Louise Except Thelma is Linda: A- Mom, Lies, and Videotapes: A-(Overall) First Segment:A Second Segment: A- Third Segment:B Paraders of
    the Last Float: B- Into the Mild: B+

Steven Universe Season 5 Grades: Stuck Together: B+ The Trial: A+ Off Colors: A- Lars' Head: A-

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Sherri & Terri have both of their grandmothers show up - and they look alike.

Er, bathing in tomato juice does not get rid of skunk odor; that's an urban legend.

In the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon, the chef says "ketchup," but the bottles say "cat-sup."

Orzo isn't rice; it's rice-shaped pasta.

Judy (the "guard" at the nursing home) sounds a little too much like Milhouse. Yes, I am aware that pretty much all of Tress MacNeille's adult characters sound alike...

Does the house look different in the establishing shot at the end of Act 3? Maybe it's just the camera angle.

The tombstones:
    Frank "Grimey" Grimes
    Big Band Stu
    Bleeding Gums Murphy - "Catch me at the Jazz Hole in the sky"
    Johnny Looselips
    Hyman Krustofsky - "My son hasn't visited once"
    Clinton Kaine 2016 - "I'm with her"
    Maude Flanders - "Beloved Wiferino"
    Shary Bobbins - "I'm not a bloody jukebox"
    Kevin Curran
    Edna Krabappel - "Ha!"
    Wait a minute...Edna Krabappel is DEAD?! Oh, wait...I was about to say that this was the first time the show actually did something to say that she was dead, but she appeared as a ghost in a previous episode, didn't she?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Sherri & Terri have both of their grandmothers show up - and they look alike.

Er, bathing in tomato juice does not get rid of skunk odor; that's an urban legend.

In the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon, the chef says "ketchup," but the bottles say "cat-sup."

Orzo isn't rice; it's rice-shaped pasta.

Judy (the "guard" at the nursing home) sounds a little too much like Milhouse. Yes, I am aware that pretty much all of Tress MacNeille's adult characters sound alike...

Does the house look different in the establishing shot at the end of Act 3? Maybe it's just the camera angle.

The tombstones:
    Frank "Grimey" Grimes
    Big Band Stu
    Bleeding Gums Murphy - "Catch me at the Jazz Hole in the sky"
    Johnny Looselips
    Hyman Krustofsky - "My son hasn't visited once"
    Clinton Kaine 2016 - "I'm with her"
    Maude Flanders - "Beloved Wiferino"
    Shary Bobbins - "I'm not a bloody jukebox"
    Kevin Curran
    Edna Krabappel - "Ha!"
    Wait a minute...Edna Krabappel is DEAD?! Oh, wait...I was about to say that this was the first time the show actually did something to say that she was dead, but she appeared as a ghost in a previous episode, didn't she?
    A couple of seasons ago, Ned also wore an armband in her memory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Edna's ghost showed up in the season 28 premiere, Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus.

Blog Entries

After nearly turning off right at the start sue to that 'Big Bang Theory' parody, the wonderfully used Louis Prima pulled me back in to what was a generally entertaining episode for the most part.

The Pokemon Go parody did nothing for me except highlight how pathetic it is, which in a way made me chuckle.

Blog Entries

This episode was quite dull, the Bart plot was uninteresting and the Peekimon Get stuff was just lame. There are probably a bunch of good jokes that you could get out of a Pokemon Go parody but HD Simpsons doesn't understand how humour works. The episode would have worked just as well with only the Bart stuff, at least then they wouldn't have tried to awkwardly shoehorn the two plots together. Also, that song was stupid. 2/5

So I watched the Episode.
    it had some funny moments, some really cringy ones (The BBT parody was horrible. same with the Pokemon theme parody. but nothing cringy)
    I don't think I hate it as much as you guys seem to do.
    don't like it either.
    B-

I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Simpson Season 27 rating: (Rate average: B-)
    Every man's Dream B-/ Cue Detective C+/ Puffless C/ Halloween of Horror A-/ THOHXXVI D+/ Friend with Benefit D-/ Lisa with an 'S' C-/ Paths of Glory A-/ Barthood B-/ The Girl Code D+/ Teenage Mutant Milk-caused Hurdles C-/ Much Apu About Something B-/ Gal of Constant Sorrow B/ Lisa the Veterinarian D-/ The Marge-ian Chronicles A/ The Burns Cage D+/ How Lisa Got Her Marge Back B-/ Fland Canyon A/ To Courier With Love C/ Simprovised B+/ Orange is the new Black A-

Average: B-

Simpson Season 28 Rating:
    Monty Burn's Flying Circus C-/ Friends and Family C/ The Town A/ Treehouse of Horrors XXVII B / Trust But Clarify B+/ There Will Be Buds A+/ Havana Wild Weekend B-/ Dad Behavior C/ The Last Traction Hero C, The Nightmare After Krustmas C-/ Pork and Burns B-/ The Great Phatsby D-/ Fatzcaraldo B-/ The Cad and The Hat B+/ Kamp Krustier B-/ 22 for 30 B+/ A Father's Watch C-/ The Caper Chaser F/ Looking for Mr. Goodbart B-

I dont even see this. The sub plot instantly makes it shit

Blog Entries

Well, at least The A.V. Club gave it a B (Charizard).

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/barts-j...e-heart-254538

Tyrant:helpsOrphanHarvey cats D DEBBS's Avatar

I thought it was a decent ep, but it should have been shown last year because of the Pokemon GO craze.

Quote Originally Posted by D DEBBS View Post
    I thought it was a decent ep, but it should have been shown last year because of the Pokemon GO craze.
    That would've been hard to achieve; keep in mind the episode probably was written a little while after the game came out and it was big news, but it takes months to produce an episode, hence it airing months and months later.

The Pokemon theme song parody was a true prime example of how clueless the Simpsons staff really are whenever they try to parody something within current youth and/or nerd culture, and also just how unfocused their pop culture parodies are in general. They seriously didn't seem to know what the hell they were parodying with this one and so instead threw in random jokes that had nothing to do with the main target of the parody. First of all, I get that Lisa and Homer are supposed to look like anime characters but what's with Homer's red overalls? What's that a reference to? Second, what's with Homer drinking a beer and becoming fat sumo wrestler? Pokemon is Japanese so now we're just aimlessly parodying Japan in general? Okay. And finally, what the hell is up with Maggie showing up with a sword and killing Pokemon? That has nothing to do with the actual Pokemon games whatsoever. It seems to me like these middle-aged writers just thought "well, we're making a parody of a video game, and video games are violent and gory, so let's show that!" That's something I've noticed with The Simpsons in general, they obviously think that the only thing worth noting or poking fun at regarding video games is how violent they are, regardless of what game series or genre they are actually basing their parody on, which makes them look absolutely fucking clueless. Which is of course exactly what they are. I swear, if they ever decide to make a Tetris parody it's going to be showing the pieces being made out of severed human arms and legs, and the 60 year old writers will think that they've just made a poignant and daring satire.

Blog Entries

I've got some mixed feelings with this episode. It seems like they wanted to pull off some cool stuff (like the BBT couch gag and Pokémon segment) but it felt short on its execution. The Tracy Ullman intro just felt weird to start tje episode with and then just showing the BBT couch gag shortly after. I did like all the throwbacks and some of the lyrics, and for some reason they ended the couch gag with a picture of Marge from the Playboy (with her ''magumbo's covered by Maggie's face), which also felt out of place.

The main plot is actually pretty decent, with Bart being himself trying to scam people for his own needs. I missed Edna from the classroom scene and apparently they just used Skinner and Chalmers as her replacement, atleast we get to see Skinner and Abe interact for once. Fun punishment he got afterwards. I also liked the chemistry between Bart and Agnes, they could've even done more with them making fun of Skinner together. It was fun to see Bart using her as his grandma to compete with Martins grandma. I liked most of Bart's scenes where he scams the old ladies, not a fan of him using hobo teeth for money though. And I liked the awkward scene with Marge picking up the phone from one of Bart's ladies. I thought the new character was decent, having her own secret yet dark agenda that took Bart some puzzling to find out what it is.

The subplot is just average, but it has its gags. I like how they joked with the game being dangerous when the players keep walking to the most awkward places like Homer dancing on Frank Grimes's grave and interrupting s church ceremony. I especially liked the scene with Maggie being scared of the ''Peekimon'' monsters, and a good gag with Ned and Apu's rivalry ridiculing their God's. Homer had some stupid gags with the skunk and wanting to cut off his fingerprints. I do like that this plot has merged with the main plot, but as for the Pokémon theme song parody... it looked weird, but it had some good singing by Yeardley. Interestingly enough they did parody Pokémon in The Simpsons Game aswell, using Homer and Lisa as a duo. But this time they looked different while I have no idea who Homer is even supposed to represent. The animation looked rather good though.

Despite this episodes shortcomings like the plot and the writers having no clue what they are even trying to parody, it managed to be rather entertaining with a decent main plot, with a lot of good Bart stuff. The subplot is there for the gags but it had no real story going. The new character was rather good and they pulled off some typical Pokémon Go jokes. Even noticing that it was going to die out in the episode aswell, which is the case in real life unless they properly update the game at some point.I would've also liked to see more of Homer/Lisa's relationship with them playing the game together. Also with all the grandmothers that Bart was visiting this episode, I was surprised that Marge's mom was completely left out. This could've been a good time to do something with her.

3/5
    Last edited by Kaine; 05-03-2017 at 01:31 AM.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

Junior Camper

This one gets a big thumbs down. They waited 20 years too late to spoof the Pokemon craze. I want Skinners' mother to die! She is such a witch it's not even funny and I want the old Skinner back. Bart is becoming more and more obnoxious and unlikeable. Him yelling "Takin the piss!" Oh come on!! Worst Episode Ever!

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1:
    -Would've preferred if the Ullman Short used the last scene in the family bedroom, but its still a nice anniversary reference, like with the 20th anniversary short.
    -Then sudden TBBT opening. An okay idea, just really clumsy sounding lyrics.
    -Oh boy, a movie parody I don't get with Bart narrating. At least he isn't Woody Allen this time.
    -"lyrics prude and not that funny" just like every song made in this episode.
    -MMMM, man "Peekimon Get" sounds forced. everytime that name is said i wanna pee.
    -"dirt jail" kinda saved that long Nelson line.
    -Agnes/Bart relationship decently believable, could actually get a good story out of Agnes wanting a grandchild/Bart using Skinners mom.
    -"in this world, I can throw a ball"
    -gotta admit...some of these Pokemon Go jokes feel kinda dated. surprised they didn't make a joke about that, or another Tapped Out joke with wasting time/money.
    -"this creature looks like your god!"
    -itchy and scratchy was alright
    -laughed more at the electronic voice than i should've.
    -OMAN that was a long act (11 minutes). that length is worthy of a cable show.

Act 2:
    -Random Cybil Shepard/TS3 monkey cameos.
    -Could people actually buy pokemon in real life? only started playing Pokemon Go! about a month ago (yeah, shut it). better reason than buying plain pokecoins i guess, pretty much no reason to spend money in the game.
    -shitty timing on that "normal" joke
    -Really fluid animation on Bart swinging n' dancing
    -SUDDEN CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. Man that relationship felt natural.

Act 3:
    -"i plan on offing myself"
    -and now the plots came together, cause pokemon go are good at finding things, except not. reading lots of Where's Waldo books maybe, but not that game.
    -shitty joke with the nerds, followed by a shitty fucking pokemon theme parody.
    -"go inside milhouse"
    -oh hi grandpa, you sure were part of this plot. maybe in an earlier draft, have him and actually developed that random old woman, just need to cut the pokemon stuff.
    -oh they did spend the $600? eh whatever, plot is over.
    -and shitty song again to close out on.
    -pokemon over gracie audience a decent gag. wonder if putting characters in the gracie audience will become a runner?

Bart plot was doing fairly well at first, his relationship with Agnes and using grandmothers felt in character, but then it completely crapped itself by rushing through that random lady changing Bart, giving no time to develop the two, or why Bart would suddenly change. Pokemon Go plot wasn't as bad as I expected, a few jokes worked in it, but it did feel dated, didn't really go anywhere, and like most parodies on the show, just didn't do anything outside the obvious with it.

2/5
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    -Could people actually buy pokemon in real life? only started playing Pokemon Go! about a month ago (yeah, shut it). better reason than buying plain pokecoins i guess, pretty much no reason to spend money in the game.
    The one thing that CAN eat up quite a bit of money (although not $600 like stated in this episode) is purchasing incubators to hatch the eggs you accumulate from Pokestops. This is often an easier way to land both rare pokemon and pokemon with high inherent stats than catching them in the wild but there's a mandated limitation on the number of eggs you can have hatching at any one time (it's capped at 9) and you can use incubators multiple times so unless you're walking a significant distance each day you're not going to be splurging on incubators more than once every week or two even if you are going that route.

Also, there's nothing wrong with playing Pokemon Go. It actually is a good motivator for people to get out and exercise. That line in the show from Lisa was true to life. A bunch of people I know have used the game as motivation to lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    I swear, if they ever decide to make a Tetris parody it's going to be showing the pieces being made out of severed human arms and legs, and the 60 year old writers will think that they've just made a poignant and daring satire.
    But they HAVE made a Tetris parody... and it was quite clever, too.

Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 05-01-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    SEASON 28 RANKINGS
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 1.5/5 / Friends and Family - 3.5/5 / The Town - 3/5
    THOH XXVII = Dry Hard - 1.5/5 / BFF R.I.P. - 2/5 / Moefinger - 1/5
    Trust But Clarify - 3.5/5 / There Will Be Buds - 5/5 / Havana Wild Weekend - 2/5
    Dad Behavior - 0/5 / The Last Traction Hero - 2.5/5
    The Nightmare After Krustmas - 0.5/5 / Pork and Burns - 2/5
    The Great Phatsby - 4.5/5 / Fatzcarraldo - 2.5/5 / The Cad and the Hat - 1.5/5
    Kamp Krustier - 2/5 / 22 for 30 - 4/5 / A Father's Watch - 2.5/5 / Caper Chase - 1.5/5
    Looking for Mr. Goodbart - 2/5 / Moho House - 2/5 / Dogtown - 1.5/5

4/5

This has been the only episode (so far) this season not showran by Matt Selman that I have enjoyed. Simpsons meets The Big Bang Theory AND Pokemon? Awesome.

Anyways, a few things to point out in the episode:
    -Another Tracey Ullman flashback, just like the start of "You Kent Always Say What You Want"
    -The "Big Bang Theory" couch gag incorrectly lists "Barting Over" as the 300th episode (it's the 302nd).
    -Maya from "Eeny Tiny Maya Moe", and Comic Book Guy's wife from "Married to the Blob" make appearances in this episode.
    -Part of the episode felt a lot like the "Freemium Isn't Free" episode of South Park (only reason why it's not a 5/5 from me)
    -Parodies of the theme songs of BOTH Big Bang Theory and Pokemon (season 1)? YAY!!!!!!!!

Well what can I say... FormulaMoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I too rather liked this, ok its no where near one of the best season but its only the 2nd two plot episode ive liked this season. For once they managed to spread out both plots nicely and end them satisfyingly enough.

Thing is people saying this is a pokemon episode and they should have done it earlier, however the episode wasnt about pokemon it was just a b plot trying to point out its a stupid craze.

The main plot was good, i liked how bart was being helpful even though he was only in it for the money at least he was making the elderly feel less lonely making them happier.

I didnt like the ending when homer and marge were in bed, I know the episode had already finished by then but it felt so forced and so out of charecter for marge.

I also didnt like how lisa got hooked on the game so easily, totally out of character. It would have been nice to see Homer get some air time with some other kid instead of bart lisa or milhouse, maybe Homer and Nelson could have got hooked to it if homer went outside and bumped into nelson while playing it would be interesting to see how they would get on.

Overall anothee good effort from Omine. 4/5
    Last edited by FormulaMoss; 05-02-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaMoss View Post
    I also didnt like how lisa got hooked on the game so easily, totally out of character. It would have been nice to see Homer get some air time with some other kid instead of bart lisa or milhouse, maybe Homer and Nelson could have got hooked to it if homer went outside and bumped into nelson while playing it would be interesting to see how they would get on.
    I'll contest this point specifically. Lisa getting quickly addicted to an amusing distraction is an established character trait. It's happened countless times dating all the way back to the Corey hotline. Whether it's crosswords, pin collecting, online poker or countless other case examples. If anything, this seemed to be a mild addiction compared to most of her other ones. She was still exhibiting self-control and restraint... it was Homer that went nuts and blew $600 on the game.

Well what can I say... FormulaMoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess your right but then surely she wouldnt see the point in a mobile game like this one. Maybe i just dont like that side of lisa ha.
    Season 28 Rankings: Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus 3/5, Friends and Family 4/5, The Town 4/5, THOH XXVIII 2/5, Trust but Clarify 3/5, There Will Be Buds 4/5, Havana Wild Weekend 3/5, Dad Behavior 0/5, The Last Traction Hero 4/5, The Nightmare Before Krustmas 3/5, Pork and Burns 4/5, The Great Phatsby 3/5 , Fatzcarraldo 2/5, The Cad and the Hat 2/5, Kamp Krustier 1/5, 22 For 30 4/5, *A Fathers Watch* 5/5 Caper Chase 2/5 Looking for Mr. Goodbart 3/5 Moho House 0/5 Dogtown 1/5

Seasons Best/Worst: 1. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire / Homer's Night Out, 2. Lisa's Substitute / Bart gets an "F", 3. Colonel Homer / The Otto Show, 4. Mr. Plow / Krusty gets Kancelled, 5. The Last Temptation of Homer / Deep Space Homer, 6. Homer the Great / Lemon of Troy, 7. Bart Sells His Soul / Much Apu about Nothing, 8. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show / My Sister, My Sitter, 9. The City of New York vs. Homer / The Principle and the Pauper, 10. Homer to the Max / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday, 11. E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt) / Grift of the Magi, 12. HOMR / Day of the Jackanapes 13. Half-Decent Proposal / Homer the Moe 14. Moe Baby Blues / Strong Arms of the Ma, 15. Fruadcast News / My Big Fat Geek Wedding, 16. Pranksta Rap / Mobile Homer 17. The Girl Who Slept Too Little / The Italian Bob 18. 24 Minutes / Kill Gil, Volumes I & II, 19. Enternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Funeral for a Friend, 20. Eeny Teeny Maye Moe / The Burns and the Bees 21. Boy Meets Curl / Thursday with Abie, 22. Homer Scissorhands / How Munched is That Birdie in the Window, 23. Holidays of Future Passed, / Lisa Goes Gaga, 24. The Day the Earth Stood Cool / Gone Abie Gone 25. Brick Like Me / The Yellow Badge of Cowardge, 26. I Won't Be Home for Christmas / The Man Who Came to Be Dinner, 27. Halloween of Horror / Every Mans Dream, 28.* A Fathers Watch / Dad Behavior

honestly, she got addicted to pic collecting (I don't know. maybe it's really interesting, it just doesn't seem that engaging to me).
    how is a Mobile game that OOC? (Especially considering how she also got addicted to playing that video game in Lisa gets an 'A')

Blog Entries

So here it is, the Pokémon Go episode, another episode I've been dreading...much like the rest of this season actually. To be fair, this was actually better then Caper Chase, because at least this episode's plot was coherent.

To start off, the couch gag shows a clip from the first Simpsons short, Good Night. showing the part where Marge tucks Maggie in for sleep. That's actually a cute touch and tribute to how this is the show's 30th anniversary. I actually wondered for a moment if they had just recreated the original clip in modern animation, but considering the SD format for it instead of the usual HD and that the animation looks more lively and better then the now, I figure that it is the original clip and they just cleaned it up, but if anyone knows for sure let me know. Then it cuts to another couch gag where they parody the Big Bang Theory's opening where they show various clips from 600+ episodes of the series, as the opening chronicles the rise and fall of the Simpsons. But at the end of the gag, there's a weird moment for when they pause for like half a second on a strange image of Marge in a pink nightie while holding a trey of donuts and images of Maggie's around her breasts like it's censoring something. I actually paused and went back to make sure I wasn't just seeing things. Where is this image from? It's clearly not from any actual episode, was it some kind of promotional art and they had to censor it here because it's too racy for television? If anybody knows, tell me. Anyway, both couch gags were pretty good.

So things open up with Bart getting dressed up fancy in a bathroom and going out to see a random old lady who he calls his grandma. Bart then starts narrating for some reason, which has been happening a lot more in recent years, having characters narrate. I assume this is a reference to something, but I have no idea what. We cut back to two months ago, where we see the kids celebrating "Grandparents Day" in Bart's classroom. Skinner is there, and for some reason, so is Chalmers. Oh my god, does this guy not have a life anymore?! But what I find interesting is that there are no other teachers present. So I guess it's confirmed that nobody's been teaching the class since the one from the hormone milk episode left, huh? Bart sings the song incorrectly getting Chalmers mad, so Skinner takes him away and makes Abe write lines on the chalkboard. Skinner tries to think of a new punishment, and after Agnes walks in, forces Bart to walk her to the bus stop. Meanwhile Lenny is playing a game with his iPhone and walks into the reactor, and then, of all people, Homer and Carl come to save him. Wait, what?! Homer being responsible?! What show is this?! Anyway, Lenny explains that he was playing "Peekimon Get". Yes, that's actually the name. There's a joke about how catching the Peekimon is like enslaving them, even though that's not what Pokémon catching is about.This is a joke I would expect more in a PETA parody then the Simpsons. Homer then says it sounds stupid and we get an obvious joke where the camera zooms in on Lenny's face as he admits it's just a kid game he shouldn't be playing, before Homer immediately plays with it instead. But this whole scene feels like it has a weird undercurrent of the writers being dismissive towards adults who play video games. Like their saying that only people in a certain age demographic can like certain things and any adult being interested in kid games are weirdo's and freaks. Homer then gets locked in the reactor but doesn't die somehow.

Bart and Agnes hangout in school for a while and we get a lame joke about Nelson missing his grandparents because him being lonely and negligent by his family is the only joke they can come up with him now. Remember when he was the school bully? He also mentions one of his grandparents is in "dirt jail"...does that mean she died in prison? Martin's grandma makes fun of Agnes and mistakes Bart for her grandma, and both Bart and Agnes play along in order to insult Martin's grandma by making her think that Martin doesn't care about her, which works after some quick teasing. Agnes offers to give Bart candy and Bart briefly imagines Skinner yelling about how he needs Agnes to make French toast for him because he's scared of egg yolks. Ok, seriously, is Skinner being in the military even still part of his backstory anymore? Modern Skinner and classic Skinner are almost two different people at this point, and seeing Skinnier so scared is really sad and pathetic, especially since it shows how the old Skinner is pretty much dead by this point.

Meanwhile, Peekimon Get craze has taken over Springfield...for some reason. Homer finds a Peekimon at Frank Grimes grave and dances on it for a while, which is a pretty good sight joke in my opinion, since they don't have Homer read out Frank's name or anything. The animation for Homer dancing was pretty good too. Man, why does the animation only get good on this show when the story is really dumb? Then a bunch of other Simpsons characters show up, including Martin's robot, the Tall Guy, and Moe's one shot midget girlfriend...what a really odd assortment of characters to suddenly bring back. Then they keep the joke going too long with Moleman in a car crash and Comic Book Guy saying he won't help. Homer then tuck Maggie to sleep but gives her his iPhone so she can see the Peekimon and think their real monsters and terrify her, because Homer is an asshole like that. Homer gets sprayed by a skunk and while Marge bathes him in tomato juice while he continues to act like an asshole to her. Lisa then randomly comes out of nowhere and supports Homer playing the game because he lost weight from the walking. I'll admit, I was actually impressed that they pointed out some positives to playing Pokémon Go instead of just doing a simple "LOL, old people shouldn't play kids games, it's dumb, LOL". Then a confused Marge speaks for the audience and asks why the hell Lisa cares about this and it turns she's a Peekimon addict too. I thought this very out of character at first, but then I remember that one of Lisa's flaws that nobody in the show ever seems to acknowledge is that's a serious addict and that several episodes have dealt with her having a serious addiction to something, so this actually makes sense for her. Plus this means that Lisa gets to act like an actual child again, so I'm all up for it. And really, it's for the best that Lisa becomes a Peekimon player, since the only other use for Lisa in a Pokémon parody storyline is having her try to ban the game while ranting about how the game promotes animal cruelty or some other nonsense like that.

So I was impressed at this moment, but then in the next scene it cuts to Homer and Lisa running to the Kwik-e-Mart to play Peekimon Get and Bart and Marge just stay behind looking blankly, and then I realized that they never explain why Bart isn't playing Peekimon at all. Not even a token explanation that he doesn't have an iPhone or is too busy helping out the grandma's as part of his plot. He's just the only child in Springfield not interested in the game for no reason. So one moment where something the characters do that makes sense is unfortunately balanced out by a nonsensical action from another character. Also Ned tells Apu that his god looks like a Peekimon character because Ned is now an insane hardcore Christian fundamentalist who loves to talk shit about other religions. But Apu getting him back by saying a homeless drunk looks like Jesus was pretty funny though. Anyway Agnes gives Bart some shoes for hanging out with her and he decides to keep hanging out with elderly women pretending to be their grandson to make them feel better in order to get free stuff. I'm not sure if this is a good plan, since I'm pretty sure Bart is a pretty infamous figure around town by now, but whatever, he pulls off the scam and it works. Then for some reason he says it doesn't count as a lie because he doesn't call the old women "Grandma"...I'm not sure what that means. We do get a moment where Bart actually uses math correctly, which surprises me because the writers love to make jokes about Bart being borderline brain-dead and being able to barely read or write. Also we get a weird Itchy and Scratchy short where a human chef shows up and kills himself. Has any human appeared in an Itchy and Scratchy short before? It looks weird. Bart shows up home late and with a bunch of candy, but despite Marge noticing this, she doesn't seem really interested in knowing where her son got this stuff or what he's been doing late at night, because Marge is now an incredibly incompetent person. One of the grandma's call the house and Marge thinks it's student from Bart's class. Really? Marge thinks some old woman who can only talk through a machine in her neck is an elementary student? Seriously, what happened to Marge, did she get hit in the head or something? Why is she suddenly so stupid? Bart monologues about how great everything is while making a random 50 Shades of Grey reference until some old woman in a suit comes by, ending the first act. Wow, it's already been 11 minutes? What a long first act.

So the old woman's name is Phoebe and she agrees not to get Bart in trouble (in trouble with what exactly?) if he pretends to be her grandson for four days. We also get possibly the only funny joke featuring Julio ever where Bart uses some random phrase and Julio calls him out on him not knowing what it means. Then we get a strange joke about some barber saying that his customer looks like Cybil Sheppard only for her to reply that it really is her. I thought that meant that it was the actual Cybil Sheppard being used for this joke, but Wikipedia and IDMB say it isn't. Weird. Homer walks into Lisa's room and there's a cute scene of Maggie playing with a toy on Lisa's bed. Homer tells Lisa that he just discovered you can buy Peekimon. Ok, first off, he only just now discovered this? Second, you can't actually buy Pokémon in Pokémon Go. I get that the writers want to make a joke about people who constantly sped money on premium stuff, but doing it on a Pokémon Go parody just makes it look like the writers didn't actually play the game. Lisa agrees to this after like one line of dialogue. What? Homer then says that he now likes Lisa because she's enabling him to waste money. It's kind of amazing how even minor lines of dialogue from Homer aggravate me now. Also this made me think that he was asking Lisa for the money, but I'm not sure if that was the intention. But their hug was cute though.

Meanwhile, Bart picks up Phoebe from the retirement center and she says all she needed him for was to get out of the center, since they won't let her leave without a family member picking her up. Wait...then how did she go to the hair salon to meet Bart yesterday if she couldn't leave her center? There's also a random moment where Comic Book Guy and Kumiko are having fun playing Peekimon Get. Aw, that's really cute, it's nice that their having fun together and are still in a happy relationship. They still won't give Kumiko dialogue though. Then there's a weird joke about the bully's eating something in the woods that I don't understand, but it goes on for a while. Bart and Phoebe go into the woods together, and Bart jumps onto a trees branch in a really well animated scene. Why can't the whole show be this well animated? Phoebe takes pictures of nature while she and Bart shoot the breeze with each other. Then we cut to four days later where the deal is over, but Bart doesn't want the money anymore because he actually bonded with her. Too bad most of the development happened off-screen. Phoebe bequeaths her camera to Bart but he doesn't know what the word means. Then we cut to Agnes waking Skinner up and saying she's going out and tells Skinner to stop being pathetic, so Skinner decides to stop coming his hair. For some reason, this whole scene is really well-animated. Bart still wonders what bequeath means but doesn't know how to look up words so pays a librarian to use his own phone to look up the word for him because Bart is really, really, really stupid nowadays. Bart goes to visit the retirement center and they said Phoebe checked out because she said Bart was here and they didn't bother to check. Wait, I thought this was supposed to be a tightly secure retirement center, but apparently, Phoebe can just leave like that and no one notices.

So Bart concludes that Phoebe asked him to come by for four days in a row so that the retirement home would lower their guard down and she could escape on her own. Bart then remembers something Phoebe said and we get a flashback to like two minutes, plus another one where she openly says she wants to kill herself. Back at the Simpsons house, Homer has spent $600 on cheat codes. Wait, I...I thought they were spending the money on buying Peekimon. Why are they buying cheat codes? Who pays $600 for cheat codes? Why does an app have cheat codes? Just...what? Did the writers actually forget what they were supposed to be spending the money on? But who even knows, because the next moment Homer is rambling on about a cake knife he wants Lisa to put her fingerprints on. They make a joke about she thinks it's a knife he used to kill someone, but honestly, it wouldn't actually surprise if Homer was to actually do that for an episode. Lisa then asks why Homer is trying to make her hide things from Marge, and then says that its job. This moment really annoys me for three reasons. First, it continues to push the idea that Homer being a jerk who knowingly and willingly does stupid things to screw over his family and tries to get out of any punishment is his "normal" characterization now. Second, it implies that he wanted Lisa to take the fall for him. And third, he never even really gives an answer to Lisa's question (though the obvious answer is that Homer is now a sociopath and pathological liar who loves to pull stupid shit and then immediately tries to worm his way out of any responsibility or consequences.). Bart shows up and Homer suggests they kill him as part of a joke, and again this is something I could see Homer actually pulling now. Bart asks them to look for Phoebe and Homer agrees after a very predictable joke where he asks if the old lady their saving is Patty and Selma.

So they go to the forest and Bart explains about his grandma scheme, which causes Lisa to briefly believe he was talking about their actual grandma, which is strangely enough, they only time mention her at all in this episode. I mean, I'm not going to pretend Jaqueline was ever a deep or interesting character, but it's a little odd that she hasn't received a single mention in this episode until now. Especially considering how many times she's cameo or appeared in the last two seasons, it's a little weird that one time a cameo would be appropriate she's a no show. Then a bunch of Peekimon Get player show and Lisa says they will help in the search. So did Lisa contact them off-screen on the way to the forest, or what? Then Lisa has a photo of Phoebe even though she didn't even know why Bart was hanging out with her until just this minute. Then for some reason all the players think she's a Peekimon...what? Then everybody goes off to look for Phoebe, Lisa and Homer go off into a pair and sing a parody of the original English opening of the Pokémon anime. Ugh. First, the anime is 20 years old at this point, and while the song itself is iconic, the anime itself is no longer as popular or culturally relevant with the Pokémon franchise as it once was, and this is coming from a fan of the show. Doing a specific parody of the anime just carries this feeling that the writers are old and out of touch and are resorting to old jokes about Pokémon to parody it because they don't really know anything about it. Second, the song itself is terrible. The melody is off, and Homer and Lisa's singing is pretty weak, which is especially disappointing because Yeardly Smith used to have one of the best singing voices in the show. Then for some reason, halfway through the song it becomes about Maggie murdering the Peekimon...just...what? And third, and the real issue I have with it, is that the timing is horrible. The song is pretty dumb on it's own, but putting it in the middle of the search of Phoebe is just idiotic. This is supposed to be a tense sense where they look for an old woman and we have this dumb song randomly appearing. It's something that's a lot worse in context then if it was just by itself. I mean, what is this? Lisa and Homer are looking for a suicidal old woman and decide to sing a song about Peekimon that ends with Maggie killing them? Who thought this was a good idea? What happened to basic story structure?

But anyway, they find Phoebe lying down with her eyes closed, and they pause on this scene for like five seconds to make you think she died, but she's just sleeping. Also the trees are cell phone towers, which I thought was a decently funny joke. Phoebe admits she wanted to kill herself, but seeing the beauty of nature stopped her or something. Anyway Bart gives back the camera and it's implied that they will keep hanging out but of course we'll never see her again. Bart narrates again by saying that he learned that manipulating women and taking advantage of the elderly was wrong. But...Bart only met Phoebe during his scam and if it wasn't for him, she might have killed herself. So Bart's lies and scheming saved the day after all! Anyway, it turns out Bart was telling the story to Abe, but he doesn't' care. Late at night, Marge actually calls out Homer about wasting $600. Wow, with how dumb she's been written as these last couple of episodes, I didn't think she would notice. However, Homer doesn't apologize and blows off her concerns by saying that some new fad will show up. Also he calls Bart a gigolo for some gross reason. But really, this scene means that once again, Homer completely gets away with acting like a jerk and screwing over his family's resources with no consequences whatsoever. Then get we the pointless fourth act of the episode which concludes Skinner and Agnes plotline, because I guess we needed resolution on that. Skinner is at Luigi's on a date with a random woman because she likes his messy hair. Agnes then shows up with Milhouse, of all people, who is going to replace Skinner's photos on the stairway. Ok, this is just sad. Even Milhouse is getting more respect from Agnes then Skinner now. But Agnes offers to buy dessert and insults Skinner's date, and that's the end of the episode. Then we cut to the credits and we get a new version of the Pokémon parody song, except with lines acknowledging that the parody is late, but for some ungodly reason, they have Harry Shearer sing a line in his Otto voice...ugh, why? But the Peekimon showing up at the end logo was kind of cute.

This was a pretty ok episode, not outright terrible, but it did have a lot of dumb moments. There were a couple of plots for this one, some better then others. I actually liked Bart and Agnes hanging out with each other, I thought they had good chemistry, and I felt like they could have done with more with this premise, perhaps a story where Skinner forces Bart to hang out with his mother only for it backfire when the two become close friends, and having the two worst people in his life bonding makes Skinner's life even more miserable until he snaps and grows a spine. But the Bart and Agnes plot just kind of ends when Bart starts his scam and Agnes gets two pointless scenes, one where she's randomly hanging out Milhouse. Speaking of which, the "Skinner gets rebellious" mini-plot was utterly pointless and was only like two scenes, so why even have it? Bart scamming the grandma's was a logical extension of him hanging out with Agnes though, and made sense for the character. The Bart and Phoebe plot was alright, I think they actually had good chemistry (Mostly thanks to Jennifer Saunders performance), but I feel like the relationship was pretty rushed, we see them together for like two minutes, and then their suddenly so close she gives Bart his camera. I also wish we found out more about Phoebe, apparently her family never visits and put her in a retirement center because she thinks she's crazy, but why is never really elaborated on. I also wasn't too clear on why she was thinking about killing herself, was it just age or just loneliness? The ending where she immediately gave up killing herself off-screen because of nature was a lame, rushed ending. There was an unexplained plot hole in this plotline where Phoebe said she needed Bart to pose as his grandson to get out of the center, but we see Phoebe leave on her own twice, and one of them was before she even met Bart.

As for the Peekimon Get stuff, well, honestly, I was expecting it to be a lot worse. Instead they just bring it up a couple of times before it veers off into another plot about Homer acting like a dick with Lisa strangely acting like his enabler. Lisa sadly didn't do much here, mostly sitting in the sidelines enabling Homer until she finally called him out. The ending song was dumb and didn't really fit where it was put in the episode. Bart asking Homer and Lisa to look Phoebe felt like a repeat of the episode where Milhouse pretends to be Kirk and Homer has to find the kids by using his new searching skills thanks to read I spy books, only even dumber, plus Homer isn't even the one who finds her, it's a bunch of other nerds Lisa summoned. I also thought it was weird that none of Bart or Lisa's actual grandma's showed up and were only briefly mentioned. While I can understand Jaqueline not showing up, I was a little disappoint that there was no mention of Mona. You could have even fit that in with the main story, by having Bart realize that he's enjoying Phoebe because he's not close with Jaqueline and the one he was close to, Mona, was barely around and is now dead, so he's sort of using her a surrogate grandma.

Overall, it's a decent, if somewhat jumbled storyline, with a few plot holes that are unexplained, and saddled with a lame parody of Pokémon Go but it did manage to stay focused on what kind of story it wanted to tell, with some decent jokes, and some really good animation. This was a hard episode to rate. I feel like this would normally be a 2 episode, but I actually really liked Bart's characterization here (except for him being too stupid to know how to look something up online, that was awful), they had Bart acting like a bit of a jerk by enacting a scheme to get free stuff but without coming off as a total sociopath, while at the same time showing his nicer side by having him genuinely worried about Phoebe but not making him cry off like a crybaby (like in so many recent episodes this season), striking a nice balance between the two. On the strength of that and some really good animation and cute moments between characters here, I'll be generous enough to give an extra point, making the final score 3/5, an overall average episode.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 05-05-2017 at 03:50 PM.

I still find your incredibly long reviews rather impressive, @AlphaOmega. How long does it usually take for you to put together one of these?

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As usual I admire your effort in putting together that mega-review.

About the point of the theme song parody not being timely, even if the song hasn't been the theme since like 1999, it's still the most iconic song in the franchise and the one most known. Plus none of the game songs have lyrics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I still find your incredibly long reviews rather impressive, @AlphaOmega. How long does it usually take for you to put together one of these?
    It depends. When I review a episode, I re-watch the episode and just pause every two minutes so I can write what's happening and my thoughts on it, that way I don't forget to mention anything I liked or dislike. So it takes me about a few hours to actually write the reviews. But partly because I'm a horrible procrastinator, and partly because I have real life obligations (which usually means I'm too busy to use a computer and I really do not want to write a review on a phone), it takes me a long time to finish a review because I don't have the opportunity to write it, so it takes me longer to finish it. So it usually takes me between one or two days to write a review from when I actually start working on it, sometimes three, it really depends on how busy I am.

I was actually going to release this review earlier this week, but then I remembered I never actually reviewed Caper Chase and I forgot to finish writing a review for A Father's Watch, so I figured I'd get those out of the way first (especially since I was already half-way finished with my review for A Father's Watch) and then I can work on my review for Looking for Mr. Goodbart and just post all three at the same time.

Thanks for everyone who reads and likes my reviews!

Thread Information