View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Harvard

6 13.64%
  • 4/5: Vassar

5 11.36%
  • 3/5: Hollywood Upstairs Medical College

8 18.18%
  • 2/5: Bovine University

6 13.64%
  • 1/5: Springfield Heights Institute of Technology

19 43.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Caper Chase" (WABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review: "The Caper Chase" (WABF12)

Season 28, Episode 18
    Original Airdate: April 2, 2017
    Writer: Jeff Westbrook
    Director: Lance Kramer
    Synopsis: Disappointed in Yale, Mr. Burns decides to start his own for-profit university and Homer is hired as a professor.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-30-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Blog Entries

thoughts
    - the subtitles when that student Trashed burns in latin werent necessary! we coulda gotten the dang joke anyway
    - why would wiggum have to pose as a teenager when the class is fulla adults!!
    - that I LOVE MR CHIPS. MR CHIPS IS THE NAME OF MY FOOD or whatever joke. could they have forced that any more.
    - insane not a tumor joke in this 2017
    - Who on earth is Robert McKee. he is far from being as notable as the other guest stars. they shoulda got syd field but hes dead. sad!
    - how would Robotface be cultural appropriation. if its offensive to robots surely its not robot culture. anything to own SJWs i guess.

this episode had no plot and wasnt funny. thumbs down.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

** Homer walking slowly
    * Mr. Burns magazines
    Wait was Lindsey Naegle's voice auto-tuned for a brief bit?
    * Handsome Dan
    ** "Worse than Hitler!"
    Pretty mediocre start. 6/10.
    ** Burns dancing naked
    --- Why did Lisa drink wine?
    * "It's not a tumor"
    ** Creative use of the opening
    End of act 2, 4/10
    ** Frosty Chocolate Milkshakes!
    * Neil DeGrasse's cameo
    -- Pretty bad SJW joke
    Closing thoughts:
    That was a bit better than some of the other episodes this year, but still pretty rough.
    Where was the plot? Burns is sick of how PC Yale is, and starts a university, but where does it go from there? I have no clue, just SJW jokes strung together.
    There were some good laughs, like Yale's mascot, the Rainier Wolfcastle movie, and Neil DiGrasse Tyson's cameo, but lots of lame satire on social justice and all that. Also why was LISA drinking wine?
    Overall, I can only give it a 4/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Vogelhaus in deiner Seele TenEight's Avatar

You know, an episode about Burns running some massive con could've been great, but instead we get another Homer Gets A Different Job Episode. And while this episode had an entertaining second act, the first one did nothing except go overboard with pointless millennial-bashing (the transgender joke particularly rubbed me the wrong way) complete with a joke they've already done ("You're a worse version of Hitler!"), and the third one was just a clusterfuck. You can't introduce FUCKING ROBOTS into your story only to get rid of them 3 minutes later. It's like they couldn't figure out how to end their episode so they threw together some weird crap just to fill time, but that would never happen.

I'm also getting real tired of these "Moe is a sex offender" jokes.

More positively, I liked the Latin jokes, "You already said that", the gag with Homer spotting the billboard, and the "defeat evil millionaires or elect them to the highest political office" line. And the tag was kinda cute.

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    thoughts
    - why would wiggum have to pose as a teenager when the class is fulla adults!!
    Keep in mind this is Wiggum we're talking about.
    Last edited by TenEight; 04-02-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: "and ANOTHER point I'd like to make is--"
    Hi, I'm Steven and one time in high school I started crying because I couldn't figure out how to order fast food. Hablo español.

RIP Frank Grimes ????-1997

Season 28:
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 5.5/10 | Friends and Family - 5/10 | The Town - 4/10 | THOH XXVII 6.5/10 | Trust But Clarify - 7/10 | There Will Be Buds - 9/10 | Havana Wild Weekend - 6/10 | Dad Behavior - 2/10 | The Last Traction Hero - 5.5/10 | The Nightmare After Krustmas - 4/10 | Pork and Burns - 8/10 | The Great Phatsby - 6/10 | Fatzcarraldo - 5.5/10 | The Cad and the Hat - 6/10 | | Kamp Krustier - 4.5/10 | 22 to 30 - 3.5/10 | A Father's Watch - 7/10 | The Caper Chase - 4/10 | Looking For Mr. Goodbart - 5/10 | Moho House - 6/10 | Dogtown - 6/10

Blog Entries

why would wiggum we're talking about have to pose as a teenager when the class is fulla adults!!

Vogelhaus in deiner Seele TenEight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Telso View Post
    why would wiggum we're talking about have to pose as a teenager when the class is fulla adults!!
    What I meant to say is he's not very bright, and probably didn't think things out beyond "college freshman = teenager".

Blog Entries

Horrible unfocused mess of an episode featuring tired "pc culture run amok!" jokes too hacky for Mallard Fillmore. The Yale scene is literally just characters standing around while millennials say things like "microaggression" and "cisgender" which is supposed to be funny for some reason. It's basically the same shit the writers have been doing for like a decade but with updated buzzwords. This segues into a monotonous "satire" of for-profit colleges where every joke is some tedious explanation of what they're making fun of and why. This is quickly abandoned in favor of Homer becoming a teacher (again) and feeling inadequate which somehow transitions to him imitating "inspirational teacher" movies, which was sadly the strongest part of the episode. And then that plot is abandoned for an half-baked 7 minute detour featuring the bad guy (why did he need to exist instead of just sticking with Mr. Burns?) snapping up guest stars who can only communicate in one-liners relating to their occupations... and Homer, because he saw him for 5 seconds, as part of some nonsensical evil plot involving robots (don't those loans have to be paid back?), which is discovered by Suze Orman looking at a piece of paper. This all leads back to more safespacetriggeredmuch?!?? jokes. Boom, roasted, take that, snowflakes. Also especially hated the awkwardly shoehorned-in "meta" jokes about the opening sequence and how Homer's voice used to be different. Do people actually like those?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    "It's not a tumor"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    the Rainier Wolfcastle movie
    I'll admit I have no idea what Homer's plane ride and the rest of the third act is referencing so I shouldn't judge but... c'mon, man

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Man, Dark Homer summed this week's ep up perfectly. I have little else to add.
    Wiggum thinking he had to pose as a teen in a class full of adults is one of the few good things about it. That was actually a funny gag.
    SEASON 28 RANKINGS
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 1.5/5 / Friends and Family - 3.5/5 / The Town - 3/5
    THOH XXVII = Dry Hard - 1.5/5 / BFF R.I.P. - 2/5 / Moefinger - 1/5
    Trust But Clarify - 3.5/5 / There Will Be Buds - 5/5 / Havana Wild Weekend - 2/5
    Dad Behavior - 0/5 / The Last Traction Hero - 2.5/5
    The Nightmare After Krustmas - 0.5/5 / Pork and Burns - 2/5
    The Great Phatsby - 4.5/5 / Fatzcarraldo - 2.5/5 / The Cad and the Hat - 1.5/5
    Kamp Krustier - 2/5 / 22 for 30 - 4/5 / A Father's Watch - 2.5/5 / Caper Chase - 1.5/5
    Looking for Mr. Goodbart - 2/5 / Moho House - 2/5 / Dogtown - 1.5/5

Oof. This was bad. Despite what I may say around this board, I don't actually think mocking SJWs is funny. It was mediocre enough when South Park did it, so when I heard The Simpsons was doing it, I assumed it was going to be terrible, and lo and behold, it was. Even ignoring that, the episode itself had a meandering plot that felt pointless. This is a rare example of a subplot-free episode that could not pull it off at all, mainly because the "single plot" was so disjointed it lacked any of the coherence of better single-plot episodes. By the time we got to the robots in the third act (thanks Robert McKee for reminding which act we were in), I couldn't even remember what the second act had consisted of, it seemed to have that little connection to what we were seeing then. I barely cared to pay attention anymore and still wasn't sure why Homer was central at all to a plot about education. What a waste of Neil deGrasse Tyson.

-The Yale Scene: "Millennial humor" sucks. The "jokes" were all very basic...could see them coming from a mile away and none of them made me laugh. It did seem like they were just trying to shoehorn in as many buzzwords as possible and that isn't how you do a good satire. HD Simpsons has never been goot at satire, and this just further proves it.
    -Homer describing "the life cycle of an atom" was pretty funny as well as Wiggum pretending to be a teenager--those were about the only things that actually made me chuckle.
    -Moe's a pedophile now...great.
    -As someone who studied Latin for 8 years, it's nice to hear it in a Simpsons episode, so I'll give them a point for that ("fish for a dime" lolz).
    -I actually thought the "frosty chocolate milkshakes" meta-joke was okay. I know it's not very clever, but I appreciate references to the show's older era. The Robert McKee meta-jokes were not funny, however.
    -More "millennial buzzwords" at the end. And so wait...why did Homer destroy the robots? I...don't even care at this point.

2/10, 1/5, worst of the season so far.

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

Quote Originally Posted by TenEight View Post
    You know, an episode about Burns running some massive con could've been great, but instead we get another Homer Gets A Different Job Episode. And while this episode had an entertaining second act, the first one did nothing except go overboard with pointless millennial-bashing (the transgender joke particularly rubbed me the wrong way) complete with a joke they've already done ("You're a worse version of Hitler!"), and the third one was just a clusterfuck. You can't introduce FUCKING ROBOTS into your story only to get rid of them 3 minutes later. It's like they couldn't figure out how to end their episode so they threw together some weird crap just to fill time, but that would never happen.

I'm also getting real tired of these "Moe is a sex offender" jokes.

More positively, I liked the Latin jokes, "You already said that", the gag with Homer spotting the billboard, and the "defeat evil millionaires or elect them to the highest political office" line. And the tag was kinda cute.

Keep in mind this is Wiggum we're talking about.
    What transgender joke are you mentioning though? They changed the wording from "transgender cinema" to "chair in the panel of non narrative cinema of self-identified pansexuals" which makes more sense honestly on why Burns would be confused by it and the point more hyperbolic in virtue signaling (in fact there has been a few small things that have apparently changed with the production of this episode from this line, to Burbon Verlander's design to Burns wearing briefs during his Full Monty scene, though that last one might be just the censors flipping out again.)

I heavily agree with the point of Moe, because it's just getting stale. But him being low key labelled as a pedophile, that's new and really ooc.

Honestly re-watching this, I have a lot of fair issues with the episode, but one of them was how they handled the spoofing of extreme SJW culture. To be honest I felt like South Park did it better with the whole PC Principal/Reality arc when it came to the episode "Safe Space" in its subtlety and picking out which points from real life can be aggrandized and used to bully others - there was more of a balance and an insight to both sides of the issue, both pros and cons - South Park seems to do that very well in a lot of their episodes. The handling and spoofing wasn't as bad or overtly obtuse as I dreaded (especially with Monty) but I don't feel it cleared the bar either.

A small thing to point out but If I really want to hit home with Al Jean (hi! I know you read these forums) Harvard is guilty of doing the same things like Yale but not on media coverage basis. The biggest thing I take issue with in this episode was the lack of a resolution with Burns University. I mean you go on months about it being the crown jewel about this episode but then it peters off for Bourbon and his bots? Like what happened to Burns? Did he ever go back to Yale? Did he lose all of his money?

One of the worst aspects is that I had to go back and repeat scenes over again because my memory wasn't too sure if they concluded or remained unresolved. Very little of this episode's details failed to stick with me, granted my memory is getting spotty now, but nothing just resonated with me except some of the Yale references, a joke about for profits, Homer's line about Carpe Diem being 'fish for a dime' and that whole Full Monty segment (oh and Smithers wants a hug. Just give him another, Burns. That's all the man asks. You don't even have to pay him much if you do it!) In fact, when I first heard the details of this episode through interviews, it kind of had potential.

I think one of the highlights of my night was that a headcanon of mine came true about Burns being fluent in Latin.
    Last edited by SchemingMinor; 04-02-2017 at 07:32 PM.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Snaked

Blog Entries

The Simpsons: "The Caper Chase"

Couch gag: A serviceable X-Men couch gag, complete with Stan Lee cameo. Not bad.

Best joke(s): The meta-joke where Homer talks to the class about the carbon-rod in his shirt got me a little. Also, the part where he uses his 1989 voice which was pretty funny, I'll give them that.

Summary: The scene during the baseball game where they're dragging Homer got a smirk from me. Other than that, that part was serviceable I guess. And yeah, that Yale scene is so cringeworthy. It's almost like the writers didn't understand half of the words they threw in there, but they wanted to make some sort of half-assed stab at PC culture despite that fact. Then's there's more pitiful potshots ("I celebrated Columbus Day" and "I referred to God as He"), that have me like "wtf?".

After this, Burns decides to burn his Yale stuff and make a new college, despite the fact that he could just buy Yale and run it in his own twisted way? I mean, the man's pretty rich if I'm remembering correctly. Homer is hired as a teacher, and later he and Marge proceed to sit there and watch Lisa drink wine (wtf x2), and then there's the college with the weak Wiggum as a teenager joke. During this time I'm wondering why we didn't get to just see Burns run a college with more wacky, evil Burns antics, which would've been more entertaining. It furthers the thought that he's no longer portrayed as evil, he's been watered down into just being an old, greedy jerk, which is boring.

Homer leaves teaching and joins a few cameos (drawn out of a hat labelled "Intellectuals who should be in this episode for no reason") so they can teach robots, so the villain can get them to commit evil acts using/regarding student loans or something, I dunno. The writers get in the last few digs at SJWs, aaaaand then.. the episode ends with basically no ending whatsoever.

Out of all the episodes I've watched, I don't think I've ever seen no attempt at a resolution. Talk about boring, painfully unfunny, and convoluted as hell. The plot was poorly thought out and strewn everywhere, and for that reason the episode ended with nothing. Even if the writers can't make anything mind-blowing anymore due to a lack of ideas, I think they can scrap together a little something in an attempt to make something that's at least mediocre, instead of this awful mess. Bleeeeh. 1/5, 2/10.

Blog Entries

pre much what I expected from a writing team where all but 2 writers are white males. new bottom 5 contender.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Oof, this was terrible. This episode was completely inept. I hated this episode! I really did! I was shocked by how bad it was! It sucks so much! It's a crime against humanity! It's a sin! It's worse than anything the SJWs have ever done!!! It's just so atrocious! And I just realized that I haven't even gotten into why this episode sucks so much platypus scrotum. I don't even want to get into it, but since I'm even bothering to write this half-baked review, I might as well.

For some reason this episode starts off with a baseball scene. It's painfully unfunny and pointless, let's move on. Then this episode kicks off the main plot by shitting on the SJWs. It's not saying anything original and it just seems like they've gotten their satire from an alt-right YouTuber or some banned NHC user. Then they move on to Burns starting his own university and Homer becomes a teacher. Lisa's disappointed in Homer and gets drunk on wine. Didn't she already drink wine in an episode before? Wait, this show's done everything twice already, I forgot. Homer watches movies about teachers. I swear I saw this similar joke done better in hit 2011 film Bad Teacher. Did anyone else like that movie or do I just have bad taste in cinema? Homer then leaves his teaching job to work for someone else. The episode starts to feel tolerable around that point, but they mess it up with celebrity cameos. Neil degrasse Tyson, oh hey I know you. One of my NHC friends namedrops him quite a few times. Oh look, it's Ken Jennings. I watched his Jeopardy run on TV years ago. I like how all his jokes revolve around talking in Jeopardy answers. Oh wow, I know you! It's Guy Who Makes Meta Jokes. Even he knows this episode stinks. I like him.

Then they create their crew of robots. All these robots are now university students. Homer changes into an all gender restroom because that's real hilarious, right? Lighten up people, this is grade-A comedy! Homer puts a box on his head to resemble a robot and that offends the other robots. They claim "Cultural apporoppriation!" "Offended!" That's some clever satire. No really, I like how this episode takes it's last stab at SJWs before the episode just ends. Yeah there's no ending, the episode just resolves on it's own. Then we get a unrelated ending like the show usually does now and Meta Joke Guy ends the episode. Isn't it wonderful.

*takes the deepest breath possible* No, this episode is shit, shit, shit! This is the least amount of effort I've ever put into a review and yet I still feel like I put more work into it than the writers did in this entire episode. This review sucks, but I'm acknowledging that it does, so that makes it OK right? If this episode can do it then I sure as hell can. This episode has no structure, most of the jokes are godawful and the episode has no fucking resolution. Even the few jokes in this episode that I did like can't save this episode from the worst possible rating. It may not be worse than Havana Wild Weekend which was offensively boring, but on a writing standpoint this episode is easily worse. They could've made this a Burns-centered episode and left the SJW slams to a minimum if not none at all, this episode might've been better than what we've gotten, but no. This episode just follows its own rules. Fuck this episode, fuck this season and fuck The Simpsons. Can this season just be over already? 1/10

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peyrin View Post
    pre much what I expected from a writing team where all but 2 writers are white males. new bottom 5 contender.
    The lack of diversification for the writer's room has been a serious problem for years. They're not just white males, too... they're OLD white males.

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    Lisa's disappointed in Homer and gets drunk on wine. Didn't she already drink wine in an episode before? Wait, this show's done everything twice already, I forgot.
    Lisa's been tipsy on wine on no less than 4 separate occasions. Here, The Italian Bob, Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Three Times and Holidays of Future Passed. Because getting Yeardley to do a drunken version of her Lisa delivery is apparently always hilarious and is a well they like to go back to ever since she drank the water on The Little Land of Duff ride at Duff Gardens way back in Season 4's Selma's Choice (although that was more of an acid trip).

I honestly didn't mind it here... although the rest of the episode being a disjointed mess is probably skewing my perspective. What I do mind is them making light of Lisa's addictive tendencies and turning it into a punchline for a joke. So yeah, I didn't much care for that follow-up "joke" where they plugged in her comment about being some kind of recovering alcoholic for one rash outlandish display at the dinner table. That was unnecessary.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-02-2017 at 10:34 PM.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Blog Entries

how did the episode go from a parody of trump university to some weird ripoff of ex machina? what was that wiggum joke? holy god marge sounds horrible, kavner can barely squeak her lines out anymore. that's not even getting into all the dumb sjw stuff that's already been covered.

cancel this damn show already.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

I loved it. I'm a liberal myself and I HATE SJW's. So any time SJW's get mocked is fine with me. And no, I didn't vote for Trump.

Blog Entries

you don't sound like a liberal

just throwin that out there

Quote Originally Posted by comeau View Post
    you don't sound like a liberal

just throwin that out there
    Real liberals are not SJW's. SJW's are the dark side of liberalism.

Blog Entries

don't quote posts directly above you you cuck

Blog Entries

did you vote Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    did you vote Hillary
    Yes.

Blog Entries

whats the problem with sjws

Blog Entries

rats i expected drama and now im sad

Blog Entries

people who quote posts directly above them are why trump won

whats the problem with sjws
    They get offended by pretty much everything. I'll show you an example. The girl in this video I'm about to show you who is a passenger in a Lyft car got offended by a hula doll on the driver's dashboard. She got so offended that she kept complaining about it and wouldn't shut up. The guy apologized, but she wouldn't shut up. So he stopped the car and told her to get out. The other passenger in the car agreed with him.

Blog Entries

sick generalization of some dumb girl who is clearly intoxicated in some manner, as if she represents all "sjws". although even in her intoxicated rambling she does have a point related to cultural appropriation.

sick generalization of some dumb girl who is clearly intoxicated in some manner, as if she represents all "sjws". although even in her intoxicated rambling she does have a point related to cultural appropriation.

Be that as it may, Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, and Stephen Colbert (who are all well-known liberals) aren't fans of SJW's. In fact, Bill Maher describes what an SJW is in this video:

In other words, SJW's are the crazy far-left people. Just like how the Christian right are the crazy far right people.

Blog Entries

bill maher sucks and doesn't speak for everyone on the left, as much as he wishes he did

also i'm done engaging you in this thread, you are just some nobody that came out of the woodwork to bash on sjws randomly. this isnt what this thread is for, so let's just let people get back to reviewing this garbage episode of this garbage show.

We both hate Donald Trump. We should be getting along. Lol.
    Last edited by Don't Have A Cow Man; 04-02-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Thread Information