View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode? Now tailored for our Mandarin readers.

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: 五

9 21.95%
  • 4/5: 四

13 31.71%
  • 3/5: 三

13 31.71%
  • 2/5: 二

3 7.32%
  • 1/5: 一

3 7.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "A Father's Watch" (WABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "A Father's Watch" (WABF11)

Season 28, Episode 17
    Original Airdate: March 19, 2017
    Writer: Simon Rich
    Director: Bob Anderson
    Synopsis: Worried that Bart is destined for failure, Marge turns to a series of parenting "experts" for advice. Homer decides to cash in on one expert's advice by opening up a trophy store in Springfield. Meanwhile, Bart finds some needed encouragement from Grampa, who gives him a precious watch coveted by Homer.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R
    SEASON 29 RANKINGS
    The Serfsons - 2/5 / Springfield Splendor - 4/5 / Whistler's Father - 1.5/5
    THOH XXVIII = The Sweets Hereafter - 3.5/5 / The Exor-Sis - 3/5 / Coralisa - 4.5/5 / MMM... HOMER - 2/5
    Grampy Can Ya Hear Me - 2/5 / The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be - 1.5/5
    Singin' in the Lane - 1/5

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This week's R&R thread is now open. You guys are the best around!

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very short intro, as per usual.
    ** Bart's stabbing song
    -- Pretty cringey/racist joke against Jamaicans.
    * "Into the crapper you go!"
    ** Homer eating cookie dough
    * Martin's falling
    -- Homer's singing joke is really cringey and overlong
    - Homer's characterization in this episode is really jerky and bad.
    End of act 1, mediocre. 6/10.
    -- Hooray, more "millenials suck!" jokes
    -- A really overdone Homer rant.
    * Homer eating cookie dough
    End of act 2, really terrible, 1/10
    ** Milhouse getting hit by rocks
    * Milhouse security footage
    * Watch stuck in hand fat
    Closing Thoughts:
    A pretty poor episode.
    So the plot: Let's see. Homer and Marge are disappointed over Bart's bad grades, so they get advice to try to give him more praise. Then Homer suddenly lapses into acting like a complete jerk for no reason just so the writers can have a "Bart has self esteem issues" story. And then he gets an old watch from Grandpa which somehow makes him feel amazing, even though it's just an old watch he had never seen before. Okay? And then he drops the watch and goes back to feeling depressed and sad, and then Homer makes him feel happy by saying "You're a screw-up, but who screwed you up?" which, okay. Oh and meanwhile Homer sells trophies, and there's lame satire about how millenials suck and get too pampered and why giving praise doesn't work.
    And the jokes were awful, there were some good ones but most fell flat, and there were lots of really awful ones. Homer's lame singing, the millenial satire, Homer's Freud rant...
    Overall, another mis-step. 3.5/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I assume this episode started on time? (I ask because the NASCAR race on Fox ran until about 7:05 Eastern, so either the Bob's Burgers repeat at 7 was joined in progress or the entire schedule got pushed back by about 10 minutes)

3.5 out of 5

I liked it. I mean, I wouldn't say it hit it out of the park but I enjoyed it.

I should have been taking notes as I was watching, but in lieu of that:
    • Frog joke went on a smidge too long.
    • I liked the social commentary WRT the parents blindly following whatever advice comes their way.
    • "And Moe shouts a third thing to feel included!"
    • The trophy-selling subplot was almost as pointless as the blue pants subplot from My Fair Laddy. Almost. (Though in this episode's defence the trophy selling scenes weren't mindnumbingly dull like the blue pants scenes were.)
    • BUT WAIT! There's more! Call in now and we'll throw in a SECOND subplot absolutely free!
    • ...But seriously, though, why do we need TWO subplots? Isn't one enough?
    • It's nice to see Bart doing well in school.
    • I audibly gasped and said "NOOOO" when Bart dropped the watch, so that's a good sign, but I get overly invested in TV anyways.
    • I loved Grampa's football rant.
    • YOU'RE THE WORST AROU-OUND
    • "Look, we made a millennial joke! We're so #edgy take that SJWs" *sigh* please
    • Sideshow Mel asking the real questions
    • It's about time Marge got a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    -- Pretty cringey/racist joke against Jamaicans.
    Usually racist jokes really bother me but I think that joke was supposed to be making fun of racists more than making fun of Jamaicans, given the frog's reaction to it. But hey, I'm white, so I might be coming at this form the wrong perspective.

I do agree with you that the millennial-bashing was cringeworthy, though
    Hi, I'm Steven and I had such a sheltered childhood that I've never gone trick-or-treating except at a mall. Hablo español.

RIP Frank Grimes ????-1997

Season 28:
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 5.5/10 | Friends and Family - 5/10 | The Town - 4/10 | THOH XXVII 6.5/10 | Trust But Clarify - 7/10 | There Will Be Buds - 9/10 | Havana Wild Weekend - 6/10 | Dad Behavior - 2/10 | The Last Traction Hero - 5.5/10 | The Nightmare After Krustmas - 4/10 | Pork and Burns - 8/10 | The Great Phatsby - 6/10 | Fatzcarraldo - 5.5/10 | The Cad and the Hat - 6/10 | | Kamp Krustier - 4.5/10 | 22 to 30 - 3.5/10 | A Father's Watch - 7/10 | The Caper Chase - 4/10 | Looking For Mr. Goodbart - 5/10 | Moho House - 6/10 | Dogtown - 6/10

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I really enjoyed this one. Great character focused story, not relying on any narrative framing gimmicks (not to knock last week's episode, which I also really liked) or guest stars. All the plots revolved around one event, the rewards vs no rewards grip that took over the town, and nothing really felt unneeded. Even Homer's job of the week was related to the plot! Good gags, real emotional scenes between Bart, Homer and Grandpa. I'm going to guess that some might compare this one to "Bart's Inner Child", though the plot really didn't feel like a rehash outside of the notion of a public speaker swaying the way the town thinks. I really don't have anything negative to say about this one. I'd guess the fourth act bit was not needed, as the Homer book gag was a good ending.

4/5
    UP AND ATOM!

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

I'll make my review short: subtlety is not this show's strong suit for humor or to get a point across anymore. (I can hear some of you say, well, tell us what we don't know!)

If the really sloppy millennial gag is all they have for us this week (and it really didn't seem to parody and slight the smugness of over the top rants others seem to make about them,) I'd hate to see how they will tackle political correctness with The Caper Chase. I dread it will probably be as surgically precise as a drunken monkey with a machete.

Quote Originally Posted by SchemingMinor View Post
    I'll make my review short: subtlety is not this show's strong suit for humor or to get a point across anymore. (I can hear some of you say, well, tell us what we don't know!)

If the really sloppy millennial gag is all they have for us this week (and it really didn't seem to parody and slight the smugness of over the top rants others seem to make about them,) I'd hate to see how they will tackle political correctness with The Caper Chase. I dread it will probably be as surgically precise as a drunken monkey with a machete.
    Yeah, from the press releases that describes Burns as complaining about "political correctness" once he finds out Yale is teaching transgender cinema I'm worried that the scene in question will become "let's shit on trans people for no reason".
    Last edited by TenEight; 03-19-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

Quote Originally Posted by TenEight View Post
    Yeah, from the press releases that describes Burns as complaining about "political correctness" once h finds out Yale is teaching transgender cinema i'm worried that the scene in question will become "let's shit on trans people for no reason".
    It's not just that in question (considering the show's history in making transgender jokes as I explained in another post, they doesn't have a stellar record - anyone remember the gag in Flaming Moe or the whole gays = trans trope they made in the past with Smithers and Largo's sex change surgery,) but it will be more about how will they strike a balance between the issue of college students passing over degrees in STEM majors for humanities/liberal art classes (which seems to be the direction Burns is taking from what some of the previous interviews about this episode inquired; Burns is furious when he finds out that Yale doesn't offer a degree or class in nuclear physics anymore which leads to them suggesting for him to donate money to transgender cinema classes or another fringe interest class,) and showing the extremes and effects of forcing people to a conservative and traditional scholar system. Then again, I might be giving the writer too much credit for detail like this here.

Considering that Burns IS labelled as a conservative and a topic that many, MANY of us have mulled over the years, the man despite his right leanings hasn't shown outright ill will towards the LGBT community in the show (in fact the first actual mention he has made about homosexuality was from this year in the Phatsby Tapped Out tie-in, and even then being aware what a gay affair* is, he doesn't behave with any vitriol) and is a topic I COULD muse over with many more people, barring the whole issue during Sideshow Bob Roberts (mostly because Burns doesn't really give a rat's ass about social issues vs. fiscal so I can say he probably glossed that topic over which made Smithers furious, but speculation is on the table,) I think my whole issue is will the show make him evil for evil's sake instead of taking his character into consideration. Example, Burns is conservative but he strongly believes in evolution and has a foothold in the sciences - any writer taking a lazy route out would give him all of the tropes associated with his group like having a creationist viewpoint to curry with his group and fall in line, but they refused to do so and instead built him up on his strong science-based background. Now compare this to the joke of him dropping a horse on a church or trying to crush as many baby turtles with his corpse when he tries to commit suicide. He does it just because it's an evil thing and well he's evil. No motive, it's doing evil for evil's sake and really lazy characterization there.

I think that's my biggest fear on how they will handle this (and if Smithers will step in and be his inner critic again.)

*Yes, I consider Tapped Out semi-canon because of the writers involved, especially when they are meant to tie into an actual episode, but it's amusing it took him so many decades to find out the alternate definition of gay, or in an alternate case, he knew already but only if you added the word 'affair' behind it. Funny thing his brain.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

I don't think the millennial crack was supposed to be taken that literally. Like the "everyone gets a trophy" approach earlier, it seemed that the episode was mostly satirizing Springfield's penchant for hitching itself to the extremes when they're seeking answers. I thought it was pretty clear that G.R.I.T. was extreme and wouldn't work out.

Homer's own path was what worked, in the end.

In general, I thought this was a very good episode. The satire reminded me a bit of "Bart's Inner Child," which put Springfield in its own lab experiment where it failed pretty miserably. The same thing essentially happened here (outside of the funny Ralph crack in the epilogue).

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Well what can I say... FormulaMoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is exactly what modern Simpsons should be like on a more consistent basis.
    The Simpsons Season 29 Ratings; The Serfsons B- Springfield Splendor B Whistlers Father C THOH XXVIII A-

Seasons Best/Worst: 1. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire / Homer's Night Out, 2. Lisa's Substitute / Bart gets an "F", 3. Colonel Homer / The Otto Show, 4. Mr. Plow / Krusty gets Kancelled, 5. The Last Temptation of Homer / Deep Space Homer, 6. Homer the Great / Lemon of Troy, 7. Bart Sells His Soul / Much Apu about Nothing, 8. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show / My Sister, My Sitter, 9. The City of New York vs. Homer / The Principle and the Pauper, 10. Homer to the Max / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday, 11. E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt) / Grift of the Magi, 12. HOMR / Day of the Jackanapes 13. Half-Decent Proposal / Homer the Moe 14. Moe Baby Blues / Strong Arms of the Ma, 15. Fruadcast News / My Big Fat Geek Wedding, 16. Pranksta Rap / Mobile Homer 17. The Girl Who Slept Too Little / The Italian Bob 18. 24 Minutes / Kill Gil, Volumes I & II, 19. Enternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Funeral for a Friend, 20. Eeny Teeny Maye Moe / The Burns and the Bees 21. Boy Meets Curl / Thursday with Abie, 22. Homer Scissorhands / How Munched is That Birdie in the Window, 23. Holidays of Future Passed, / Lisa Goes Gaga, 24. The Day the Earth Stood Cool / Gone Abie Gone 25. Brick Like Me / The Yellow Badge of Cowardge, 26. I Won't Be Home for Christmas / The Man Who Came to Be Dinner, 27. Halloween of Horror / Every Mans Dream, 28. A Fathers Watch / Dad Behavior

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

The animals in the opening:
    Santa's LIttle Helper
    Snowball II
    seven of SLH's puppies
    (pigeon)
    Homer's helper monkey
    Bart's cow
    Spider-Pig
    Stampy
    Furious D
    (snake)
    (racoon) AHEM (raccoon) that's better
    (two hamsters)
    Homer's "pet" lobster
    (two other dogs - I think one was SLH's "replacement")

Bart got Fs in Science, History, Math, and Music, Ds in P.E. and Art, and an Incomplete in Lunch. I am a little surprised he didn't get a C in Art, as a reference to a "misquoted lyric" from "Do the Bartman" (the actual line is, "I'm the kid that made delinquency an art").

Bart isn't a "complete" screw-up; he has two known talents - skateboarding and ice hockey.

The final line of the book A Father's Watch is, "As Abe strangled his grandson, their shadow moved upon a wheel of violence that spun from father and sons and their sons once more."

Ralph can't be drafted by the NBA until he has played one year in college.
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 03-20-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah this was another decent episodes from Selman. I like how everyone in the family had a role to play in this ep. The scenes with Bart bonding with Grampa were actually kinda nice and it even tried to have some emotion. 3/5

Best moment: Moe randomly being at the school.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    The animals in the opening:
    Santa's LIttle Helper
    Snowball II
    seven of SLH's puppies
    (pigeon)
    Homer's helper monkey
    Bart's cow
    Spider-Pig
    Stampy
    Furious D
    (snake)
    (racoon)
    (two hamsters)
    Homer's "pet" lobster
    (two other dogs - I think one was SLH's "replacement").
    The pigeon I think was Raymond Bird from Season 22's "How Munched is that Birdie in the Window?"

I'm pretty sure that horse was Princess (from "Lisa's Pony"), not Furious D. Princess is brown and Furious D is white.

I think the raccoons were from a previous couch gag where a raccoon family sat on the couch, either that or Season 19's "Smoke on the Daughter".

And yes, one of the dogs was indeed Laddie (SLH's replacement).

FYI: Homer's lobster is named Pinchy, and the helper monkey is Mojo. Bart's cow is Lulubelle, or Lou for short.

I think the snake might have been Lumpy from "Round Springfield".

You also forgot Chirpy Boy and Bart Jr., the Bolivian Tree Lizards from "Bart the Mother".

4/5

Once again, I find this season's episodes where Matt Selman is the showrunner to be more enjoying. But this one still paled in comparison to The Town and The Great Phatsby.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Blog Entries

Well most of it was good. Which by this awful season's standards makes it a masterpiece. Heck, the main plot builds on that Bart & Abe thing they had going in Barthood, though the last moment kinda ruins it.

For the most part there wasn't anything objectionable, but Allison placing so low and below Janey during that competition is just wrong. I mean they went out of their way to include her there and it's not like it's an obscure thing that she's meant to be smart. Bad enough everyone else was dumbed down to make Lisa look better but the one person whose main defining trait is being smarter than Lisa? Well at least her plot ended badly for her, easily the best laugh out loud moment of the episode was when she got her trophies thrown away. I actually ha-ha'd her!

So yeah, aside from that one bit, not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    4/5

Once again, I find this season's episodes where Matt Selman is the showrunner to be more enjoying. But this one still paled in comparison to The Town and The Great Phatsby.
    Yeah. This episode probably wouldn't have been that good if it wasn't a Matt Selman episode, but I did enjoy it. I also liked how the intro went right from the title in the sky to Bart writing on the board in the classroom; that gave this week's intro a fairly old-school flavor. I guess if Matt Selman runs an episode that will have a couch gag, he makes it so the intro goes rather quickly. (I still remember the quick couch gag to "A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again," another Matt Selman episode I enjoyed.)
    Matt Selman SERIOUSLY needs to become a full-time co-showrunner; then maybe the show will greatly improve in quality again.

Blog Entries

I was actually kind of surprised to see Selman's name in the end credits, because this was... not as good as I thought it would be, coming from him.

It was a fun idea, Marge trying to boost Bart's self-esteem, but I don't know I didn't like the execution. The only things I laughed at were the ending to act one, Grampa strangling Bart at the end, the Milhouse security footage, and... that's about it. I liked Homer giving Bart the watch back. overall it wasn't the worst of the season by any means, but also not one of the better ones. just kind of average. a low 3/5

Full list of all the animals in the couch gag:
    Santa's LIttle Helper
    Snowball II
    Seven of SLH's puppies
    Pigeon that eaten by Santa's Little Helper
    Homer's helper monkey, Mojo
    Bart's cow, Lou
    Spider-Pig
    Stampy
    Princess
    Strangles the Python
    Racoon
    Hamster from "Duffless" in the ball
    Pokey the Guinea Pig
    Homer's "pet" lobster Mr. Pinchy
    Bongo, Homer's childhood dog
    Laddie
    Chirpy Boy and Bart Jr., the Bolivian Tree Lizards, plus a third one.

Did I miss any?
    Would have been cool if Furious D was there as well, that way all the main pets were there.
    Simpsons Tapped Out name: Zim999777

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zim999 View Post
    Hamster from "Duffless" in the ball
    I forgot him! FYI, his name is Nibbles. (He received the name in "Skinner's Sense of Snow")

EDIT: Actually, Lisa's hamster is in there first. Nibbles runs in later.

And yeah, that was Strangles, not Lumpy.

EDIT: Actually both Lumpy and Strangles are there. Lumpy is squeezed in between Stampy and Princess.

Would have been cool if Furious D was there as well, that way all the main pets were there.
    Would have been the case if She's the Fastest was there too.

And if we're counting dead pets, which Raymond Bird, Pinchy, and Nibbles are, then we could add Snowball III and IV ("Coltraine") from "I, D'oh-Bot", as well as Snowball I (I mean, if Bongo was there...)

EDIT AGAIN; The Screamapillar (from "The Frying Game") is on the nightstand!
    Last edited by BlueRibbonCommittee; 03-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zim999

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbonCommittee View Post
    I forgot him! FYI, his name is Nibbles. (He received the name in "Skinner's Sense of Snow")

EDIT: Actually, Lisa's hamster is in there first. Nibbles runs in later.

And yeah, that was Strangles, not Lumpy.

EDIT: Actually both Lumpy and Strangles are there. Lumpy is squeezed in between Stampy and Princess.

Would have been the case if She's the Fastest was there too.

And if we're counting dead pets, which Raymond Bird, Pinchy, and Nibbles are, then we could add Snowball III and IV ("Coltraine") from "I, D'oh-Bot", as well as Snowball I (I mean, if Bongo was there...)

EDIT AGAIN; The Screamapillar (from "The Frying Game") is on the nightstand!
    That wasn't a hamster on the floor, it was Pokey the Guinea Pig. It was bigger then a hamster.
    Thanks for also missing the missed pets.

We just can't go a Season 28 episode without Bart crying, can we?

Minor complaint though, as I really enjoyed this episode. As usual, the episodes with one plot seem to fare better than those with multiple, and this one actually had an intelligent satire and was decently funny as well. (I also enjoyed the satire on montages themselves).

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Billionaire View Post
    I don't think the millennial crack was supposed to be taken that literally. Like the "everyone gets a trophy" approach earlier, it seemed that the episode was mostly satirizing Springfield's penchant for hitching itself to the extremes when they're seeking answers.
    Agreed. I thought the point of the satire was parents seeking easy answers and latching onto trends that aren't really of much benefit to their children. I didn't think it was meant to be another knock on millennials; the "GRIT" presenter was supposed to be just as extreme as the first presenter. It did feel like Lisa's side of the story wasn't really resolved, though. But hopefully Marge learned not to be so gullible by the end.

And nice use of Chinese numbers in the poll

Blog Entries

Another solid episode, keeping up with last weeks quality. Its yet another Bart-focussed episode which focuses more on his school prestations, something I've missed for some time. But other then being mostly about Bart, I liked how they also brought in the whole town to follow this trophy hype with them. Not much to say about the couch gag other then the throwback to some of the older pets the family had.

The beginning with the frogs is pretty funny, but dragged on for a bit. I do like the younger frogs reaction at the end. Also liked the gag with Bart as a coal taster. The parent meeting was a good scene to build up the rest of the episode. I liked most of the trophy gags and how they overuse the system. I'm not even sure to consider Homer's trophy business a real subplot but it had its moments, not sure what to think of his singing though. Its good to see Grampa cheering up Bart (despite laughing him out at first). And good gag with the nurse wearing alien-esque shoes. I liked the ''GRIT'' word changing joke, and Lisa's reaction in the classroom. Bart playing with Homer's jealousy was a good moment, and him accidently throwing all rocks on Millhouses head. Loved Marge throwing away her #1 mom trophy, and Grampa's scene at the doctor. Apparently Millhouse gave away that watch to a pawn shop? I did like the sleazy shop owner. Bart did seem whiny near the end, but a cute moment with Homer occured from that atleast. Good ending with Bart/Grampa despite accidently destroying the watch. I also liked the little gag with Ralph.

There's not much to complain about this episode. It has a good plot with some decent characterisation and jokes. Some jokes dragged on and I'm not sure what to think of Homer's singing. Homer's little subplot was a good addition.

4.5/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I like the massive take that to the whole trophy thing.

Blog Entries

A new golden age! 3.6/10

maybe a little rustic CousinMerl's Avatar

A fairly average episode with a few good moments and aspects, but most of it was pretty meh; it just never gripped me that much.

The plot about Marge, after a parenting seminar, boosting Bart's self-esteem by praising him with trophies (as does the other parents to their kids) while Lisa is critical of the trophy culture had it's moments & the subplot of Homer selling home-made trophies was nice, but both were pretty bland. It got better when Bart and Grampa bonded over the latter's old watch (which Bart then loses) and the emotional stuff was nice, especially Homer finding the watch at a pawn shop and giving it back to a sad Bart (their conflict was pretty good), but they kinda ruined the ending with the lame jokes.

The pacing was pretty good but the episode was a bit messy with the various plotlines, elements were poorly handled and/or unsubtle (such as the millennial bashing) and few of the jokes worked (and several of them were needlessly drawn-out). Nothing was explicitly bad but other than the Bart & Grampa stuff and Bart & Homer's rather decent conflict it was just passable. It could have been better with a tighter story, better humor & more focus on the Homer/Bart/Grampa stuff but it's decent as it is.

Summed up, it's just an okay at best episode with some good stuff and a good premise (even though it wasn't executed too well). Like the previous episode it was kinda unremarkable but not that bad at all.

3/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-21-2017 at 02:59 PM.

The [Insert Something Here] D'oh! Man's Avatar

It was alright. Honestly, I wish more episodes were more like this.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Well what can I say... FormulaMoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Surprised this episode isn't rated higher on average then 3/5 to be honest, the story was great it had subtlety and no stupid b plot that got in the way, the jokes were pretty funny, the pacing was pretty much perfect and there were some great character moments in there to. Every Simpson had something to do with how the story played out and the story ended satisfyingly with a sweet moment, and when bart broke the watch at the very end it was still connected to the story with the father and son generations of strangling thing they had going on.

Really average for a Selman Episode, but certainly took the awful taste of “The Great Phatsby” out of my mouth. 

3,5/5 (4/5 por the poll).

Thread Information