View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

13 33.33%
  • 4/5

10 25.64%
  • 3/5

9 23.08%
  • 2/5

3 7.69%
  • 1/5

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "22 For 30" (WABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review: "22 For 30" (WABF10)

Season 28, Episode 16
    Original Airdate: March 12, 2017
    Writer: Joel H. Cohen
    Director: Chris Clements
    Synopsis: In this parody of a cable sports show, Bart goes from delinquent with detention to the star basketball player at Springfield Elementary. Lisa covers Bart's success for the school paper, and Homer becomes the team's coach. Things go awry when Bart gets involved with the mafia.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

2/5

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: apolo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega Jr. View Post
    2/5
    How come?

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Loads of meta-humor references and a fitting parody of ESPN's 30 for 30 sports doc series. They fully committed to the send-up and delivered a cohesive episode that remained focused and yet encompassed a number of running gags from Louie's loose lips to Milhouse's squeamishness to Nelson's parentage to Krusty's Dolly jokes to dunking on Skinner to the Anger Watkins reaction takes. Loved all of the callbacks.
    SEASON 29 RANKINGS
    The Serfsons - 2/5 / Springfield Splendor - 4/5 / Whistler's Father - 1.5/5
    THOH XXVIII = The Sweets Hereafter - 3.5/5 / The Exor-Sis - 3/5 / Coralisa - 4.5/5 / MMM... HOMER - 2/5
    Grampy Can Ya Hear Me - 2/5 / The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be - 1.5/5
    Singin' in the Lane - 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    How come?
    I didn't laugh once but I wasn't injured during viewing so that's a 2/5 in my book.

I feel like this episode relied too heavily on its format at expense of telling good jokes and writing a good story. They had, like, the bare bones of an idea and tried to fill the rest of the time with unfunny interview segments. If they had dropped the documentary format and just let this story play out in real time it might have been better: mockumentaries are hard, man, and the most that this episode ever did for me was give me a better appreciation for Spinal Tap.

A lot of sports fans on the Simpsons subreddit seemed to like it, though, so maybe I just don't have the necessary sports background to get the jokes.

Kinda wish I had something more substantive to say than "it wasn't funny".

On the plus side, my favorite character had some great lines and I liked the scene with Nelson's dad.
    Hi, I'm Steven and I had such a sheltered childhood that I've never gone trick-or-treating except at a mall. Hablo español.

RIP Frank Grimes ????-1997

Season 28:
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 5.5/10 | Friends and Family - 5/10 | The Town - 4/10 | THOH XXVII 6.5/10 | Trust But Clarify - 7/10 | There Will Be Buds - 9/10 | Havana Wild Weekend - 6/10 | Dad Behavior - 2/10 | The Last Traction Hero - 5.5/10 | The Nightmare After Krustmas - 4/10 | Pork and Burns - 8/10 | The Great Phatsby - 6/10 | Fatzcarraldo - 5.5/10 | The Cad and the Hat - 6/10 | | Kamp Krustier - 4.5/10 | 22 to 30 - 3.5/10 | A Father's Watch - 7/10 | The Caper Chase - 4/10 | Looking For Mr. Goodbart - 5/10 | Moho House - 6/10 | Dogtown - 6/10

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

The "22 for 30" opening includes scenes from past episodes, including "Homer at the Bat."

Grampa has an Emmy.

Springfield Elementary still uses typewriters.

A number of Bart's TVs were plasma screens - do they still make those?

Milhouse's uniform number is 27; normally, numbers with digits 6-9 are illegal below professional and international level, but youth leagues tend to let this one slide.

When Bart says, "Ay Carumba!", the screen says, "Oh Carumba!"

One of the signs in the stands was, "NBA - Nelson's Been Abandoned."

Bart is referred to as "The Bartman" in one of the captions; normally it's just "Bartman," and except for the appearance in "Three Men and a Comic Book," Bartman has never been on the show.

Short Cameo Alert: Stephen Curry says six words.

Sultan of Swing Maurice Rodriguez's Avatar

Unlike last week's one, I really enjoyed this episode! It was done in an original way, some of the jokes were fun and the plot was good enough to be entertaining.

This season 28 has some really good episodes! (Unfortunately, it also has really bad ones, a little like season 23, but season 23 had way more extremes).

Happy Thanksgiving (from a country who doesn't give fuck)!

Blog Entries

The documentary premise was ok I guess, the main plot wasn't too interesting, so 3/5. Decent ep.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

This was enjoyable but it felt like it was dragging. The last few minutes I just started changing the channels.

So in the 28 years that the show has been on the air, Bart has played hockey (Lisa on Ice), football (Bart Star), baseball (The Boys of Bummer), and basketball (22 for 30).

The funny thing is when I was much younger, my idea of a new Simpsons episode was that Springfield Elementary would have a basketball team. My brother thought that was a terrible idea. I did like how this episode "pushed the envelope" with the documentary format, similar to Springfield Up. But some parts of it were boring.

3/5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    So in the 28 years that the show has been on the air, Bart has played hockey (Lisa on Ice), football (Bart Star), baseball (The Boys of Bummer), and basketball (22 for 30).
    And lacrosse.

And tennis, although that's not a team sport like the others.

Something else to note: "Fit Tony" not only lived in Springfield when he was young, but he was not exactly "fit" either.

And why was the city championship tainted? The closest thing to anybody cheating was when Homer ran onto the court at the end of the semi-final.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I had no clue we would get a mockumentary format for this episode, so that was a very happy surprise. I loved past mockumentary episodes, and this one is no different. The only issue I really had was that I personally am not into sports or basketball, so some of the jokes and references went over my head. But all in all, this was a pretty solid outing, and the format forced them to focus on one plot and give us some really funny gags poking fun on the interview format. I also really liked the Burns moment, having looked up what they were referencing. 4/5
    UP AND ATOM!

Surprised to see so many 3's. I thought this one was pretty great. I loved the unusual format (one of the funniest moments was Homer narrating the different editing techniques) and I liked seeing Bart act like Bart. I laughed out loud at a number of moments, like Milhouse being cut to, "Moe's Tavern: The Low Bar for Weird", Grampa stopping all motion while being interviewed...and that reference to "The Jinx" was awesome. Doesn't seem to matter what the episode is, if has no sub-plot, it's better (as far as the HD era goes).

I'm sure AlphaOmega will post a 50,000 word essay about everything that makes this episode terrible (and I do love reading those), but I'm going to enjoy my 5/5 bliss for a while.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A little surprised to hear this episode was so loved. I loved it myself too. I always love when they break away from the regular format, even if it's to parody something else. And I guess SimpsonsArchive was right when they compared it to "Behind the Laughter" and "24 Minutes".

Blog Entries

This episode quite surprised me. Not only due its documentary format, but also how they managed to pace a lot of good jokes. I can't recall laughing that much for a modern Simpson episode in some time. And we actually got a proper Bart-centered episode where he's mostly his old self. The couch gag is good until it got to FG'ish with the pencil in Homer's eye.

Some good jokes like Abe's rambling and Millhouse behind a black screen. I noticed that Hoover was one of the detention teachers, despite not being his actual teacher. Guess she replaced Edna. Bart being spoiled had its moments, along with Lisa's role as journalist. And we got to see some Fat Tony and the other mobsters which haven't really had an episode for a while. Storywise it wasn't much special but still fine, personally not much of a fan of plots involving sports. I do like how they made a gag referring all older sport related episodes. I liked Fat Tony's past with him participating in women's basketball, and even the small plot with Krusty's Dolly Parton case (she did appear in an older episode so not sure why they didn't fully show her, nice gag with the boob shadow atleast). A good ending with Nelsons dad having been the narrator all this time.

Not much else to say about this episode. It was mostly gag filled which this era is lacking, with a decent story to it. So this episode kinda feels more like a Scully episode without having it ruined in the last act by something crazy, or making up crazy characteristics for certain characters. I think this might be one of the better episodes of the season so far, and one of the better Bart centered episodes in a while. I would've liked to see more of Homer, but I liked the role they gave to Lisa. And its fun to see the mafia again. After all the mediocrity of the previous episodes, this is a welcoming surprise.

4.5/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

3/5, good episode, but format bending documentary was stupid and cheesy. Laughed hard at Milhouse with puppy goo goo and low voice.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Something else to note: "Fit Tony" not only lived in Springfield when he was young, but he was not exactly "fit" either.
    We need to stop rationalizing things around that episode's last-minute reset button nonsense.

"Fit Tony" is Fat Tony. Lunchlady Dora is Lunchlady Doris - with a different voice actor. Snowball V is Snowball II. Armin Tamzarian is actually Seymour Skinner so when Agnes talks about things Seymour did in her womb to cost her the Olympics, that was actually the Seymour we know and love.

Those episodes exist in their bubbles and then they don't exist outside of them. Same reason nobody ages while the presidents and modern conveniences around them always change. It's just wacky cartoon logic for a show that consistently ignores its own internal consistency and has done so the 30 years less a month that OFF has remained on television.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Those episodes exist in their bubbles and then they don't exist outside of them.
    Skinner: Isn't that a cheat?
    Lisa: I suppose it is, Mr. Tamzarian.
    Skinner: Moving on. Lisa. Snowball II.

But yeah, that's what I've been saying for awhile. I mean, there are some continuity moments that bother me (Kamp Krustier, On a Clear Day I Can't See My SIster, That '90s Show and The Man Who Grew Too Much are the worst for me), but I'm not going to read too much into the others.

Blog Entries

I was suprised at the format they went with for this one, it worked really well. Don't think I've laughed this hard at a new episode in years, if at all.

Highlights:

The secondary credits including the sports-centric clips from episodes past, even Bartryshnikov from Homer VS Patty and Selma.

The caption about Anger Watkins punching his Birthday Cake.

Grampa's rambles and his Emmy which of course was a really cool call-back to 'The Front'....possibly.

Distorted Milhouse was a brilliant gag, distorted Puppy-Goo-Goo even better, I had to pause the stream cause I was laughing so hard.

Agnes swigging Whiskey in the background.

The Mafia's theme song gets a return, my favourite incidental music of the show.

Fat Tony getting annoyed with Blue-Haired Lawyer's whispering, the delivery felt very natural, almost ad-libbed.

Maggie slapping Bart.

The episode teetered off towards the end, but it had solid, solid gags and for a good 16 minutes, I was entertained.

4/5

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

** Amusing, weird couch gag from Bill Plympton.
    ** A nice Grandpa rant, as usual.
    -- Lame "better than worse" gag
    - Also not a fan of the music in the background
    * Square dancing scene
    ** Willie drowning Gophers
    End of act 1, pretty eh. 4.5/10
    * Name joke gag
    ** Homer chewing towels
    * Another funny scene with Grandpa
    * Homer's stickman drawing
    --- Over-over-over-long gag with Homer strangling Bart
    End of act 2, 6/10
    -- A lame camera gag, stretched out way too long.
    ** "I'm an exclaimation point!"
    -- Another rap song I don't like in the background
    ** "Documentary where a rich guy kills people and no one knows about it"
    -- And another bad rap song.
    Closing Thoughts:
    That was a pretty bad episode.
    First thing, the plot was pretty lame. So after being in a really long detention Bart somehow becomes a mega basketball star. And then the mafia comes in, which makes no sense. Why should the Springfield Mafia care about an elementary school basketball tournament? They tell Bart to rig the games. And then he is disgraced and becomes a town pariah? Just because of elementary school basketball? None of this makes any sense. Also, the story was thin, and unengaging, the events didn't feel connected, it felt much shorter than 22 minutes, and not in a good way.

Humor was pretty bad as well. There were some good laughs, mostly in the second act, but there were a TON of lame, stretched out gags that killed time. Homer strangling Bart for like a minute was the worst offender.

So overall I can only give this a 4/10. After a passable start this season's going down the toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    After a passable start this season's going down the toilet.
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10

Hmm... same.

I see what you did there.

Well what can I say... FormulaMoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well paced, funny jokes, good story... this could go down as the most underrated episode this season easily a 5/5.

Blog Entries

Underrated? 21 people voted and only 4 hate it!

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was pretty good. I'd give it a 4/5. I wasn't expeting a documentary at all. I don't read any information about episodes when I watch now. It had a good plot, but as usual, the severe lack of music and just boring, plain straight forward scenes make it so unwatchable...

Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar

Very nicely done, 5/5... loved it.

maybe a little rustic CousinMerl's Avatar

I thought this was a decent episode at best. I was skeptical of the sports mockumentary style story format at first but it worked pretty well & Bart becoming quite the pro at junior basketball was a good premise, but it never really rose above average to me.

The plot just wasn't made all that interesting (maybe because I'm not familiar with the source material), it was kinda dull and boring at times & while it started out pretty well paced it turned sluggish around halfway in (and the Bart & Homer conflict felt forced and poorly handled). There were definitely some good jokes in there & I liked the parts with Fat Tony and his gang (that Johnny Tightlips scene was pretty funny) but it still wasn't enough to make this an actually good episode.

So overall, it wasn't great but I liked bits and pieces of it & the mockumentary style wasn't so bad. Just an okay and fairly unremarkable episode.

2.5/5 rounded up to 3/5

The [Insert Something Here] D'oh! Man's Avatar

It was one of my favorites of the season. It was the most decent in my opinion.

Well what can I say... FormulaMoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At the time the ratings werent great for this episode but now it looks a lot better, so i take it back.

Thread Information