View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: The precious feeling of losing money! Nothing like it! Ecstasy!

5 12.82%
  • 4/5: That is so interesting.

4 10.26%
  • 3/5: That movie was flawed!

15 38.46%
  • 2/5: Sir, the reality of your world is nothing more than a rotten caricature of great opera.

13 33.33%
  • 1/5: I'd like to have just one day when I don't put a gun to my head.

2 5.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Fatzcarraldo" (WABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review: "Fatzcarraldo" (WABF07)

Season 28, episode 13
    Original Airdate: February 12, 2017
    Writer: Michael Price
    Director: Mark Kirkland
    Synopsis: When all the fast food restaurants in Springfield become healthy, Homer turns to the last bastion of greasy food for comfort - and digs up some childhood memories along the way. Meanwhile, Lisa must find a good news story when the future of her school radio station is in jeopardy.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This week's thread is now open for reviews.

Wound up better than I was expecting although I have to question why they even bothered with the radio station getting shuttered and Patty & Selma getting fired subplots when there was zero effort spent in either developing or resolving them. Contrast this with the seemingly effortless subplot juggling of Trust But Clarify for an example of this done right.

The main plot was solid boasting some of Dan's best voicework of the season, fun gags and a rather creative nod to Fitzcarraldo. They've gone overkill with the "flashback to Homer's childhood" plot device in the HD era to the point where they've literally been drained of both meaning and impact. We get another one next week, too.

For some reason, I always wind up with my guard down when the Arby's jokes hit. They never fail to get me to laugh. This week was no exception.
    SEASON 29 RANKINGS
    The Serfsons - 2/5 / Springfield Splendor - 4/5 / Whistler's Father - 1.5/5
    THOH XXVIII = The Sweets Hereafter - 3.5/5 / The Exor-Sis - 3/5 / Coralisa - 4.5/5 / MMM... HOMER - 2/5
    Grampy Can Ya Hear Me - 2/5 / The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be - 1.5/5
    Singin' in the Lane - 1/5

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

** Nice, short couch gag.
    -- Dominos scene was WAY too drawn out
    ** Christmas decorations jokes
    * Marge's boobs being the boys
    - Homer's song was pretty stupid
    There's randomly a Springfield Radio station all of a sudden?
    * Beet Aoli
    End of act 1, pretty blah. 5/10.
    * Diarrhea joke
    ** Left-Right-Center podcast
    -- Lame song
    End of act 2, very weak. 3/10
    ** Reverse clown car
    * "Simpson Gone Wild"
    -- The mountain climbing scene pushed WAY too long!
    Closing Thoughts:
    A very poor episode.
    Both plots were thinner than thin. The A Plot: Typical unrelated first act with Homer going to a DMV festival. Then he finds all the greasy food is shut down with no explaination given, except for the Krusty Burger. And the rest of the episode is essentially Homer finding a chili dog stand and eating there a lot, and then it closes down, and then Homer steals it. Weh. Incredibly shallow, lots of unanswered plot points. The B Plot had literally nothing happen. Lisa operates a radio station which was never mentioned to exist before this one and is fired from it, despite the fact it was never shown before this episode. AGH.
    And the humor was awful. Some laughs, but tons of lame, stretched out gags.
    Plus, two awful songs.
    Overall, I can't give this any more than a 3/10.
    Last edited by The Easter Egg Council Creep; 02-13-2017 at 04:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Once again, we get Christmas weather around Valentine's Day, while Springfield gets spring weather at Valentine's Day. Sometimes I wish Brockton's weather would be like Springfield or other cartoons...

We begin with the mandatory beginning-of-episode joke, and then the minor (or other minor) subplot can begin...
    Man, the show sure loves to keep using that howling dog sound effect, doesn't it?
    NOW the main plot goes underway!
    At least the moving backgrounds when Homer is driving aren't CGI like on "Family Guy"...
    I loved the Tofu Bell! And this is from a guy that doesn't like their stuff (my brother and I often call them "Taco Hell.")
    Loved the Butterfinger reference there!
    When they stop the car in front of the marriage counseling place in the flashback, they used that Hanna-Barbera car skidding effect again...
    That was funny how Patty and Selma randomly appeared in the house since they lost their jobs at the DMV.
    I noticed when Skinner said "South Springfield," the closed captioning replaced it with "Chinatown!"

Been a while since I heard Krusty's theme song!
    Lindsey Naegle's voice sounds like it's deepening, again probably due to Tress MacNeille's age.
    LOL at when the Krusty song is playing in reverse, and then the clown car explodes!
    The Homer Gone Wild intro was fun too!
    Love all those fast food mascot parodies too. Could the panda be a callback to Season 12's "Kentucky Fried Panda?" (Finger ling-ling good!) I also enjoyed Krusty doing the Hanna-Barbera -style run, forgetting how to run regular!
    The chili-dog caboose blowing up when splashing down into the water reminded me of in "Miracle on Evergreen Terrace" and "My Mother the Carjacker" when vehicles would blow up after sinking into the water.
    Ooooh, a Mac Tonight parody! I liked Ralph questioning why the moon needs sunglasses.

I will say it started rather slow, but picked up significantly during the second half and got funnier. Unfortunately I'm probably going to forget most of this episode within a couple of months...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Closing Thoughts:
    A very poor episode.
    Both plots were thinner than thin. The A Plot: Typical unrelated first act with Homer going to a DMV festival. Then he finds all the greasy food is shut down with no explaination given, except for the Krusty Burger. And the rest of the episode is essentially Homer finding a chili dog stand and eating there a lot, and then it closes down, and then Homer steals it. Weh. Incredibly shallow, lots of unanswered plot points. The B Plot had literally nothing happen. Lisa operates a radio station which was never mentioned to exist before this one and is fired from it, despite the fact it was never shown before this episode. AGH.
    And the humor was awful. Some laughs, but tons of lame, stretched out gags.
    Plus, two awful songs.
    Overall, I can't give this any more than a 3/10.
    There was literally

cool

Blog Entries

homer's tv news theme was pretty funny. other than that it was a modern simps ep/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Only a 2/5 - that episode just didn't seem to go anywhere - especially the WSES plot.

On the billboard, Apu has a mug that says "I {heart} VD."

The safe behind the couch had three bars of gold in it.

URL check: www.goofingoff.org goes nowhere.

One of "the bodies" was Smilin' Joe Fission.

Shouldn't that be KSES? After all, the main radio station is KBBL. Then again, while KSES radio exists (it's near Santa Cruz, CA), WSES radio apparently does not, although WSES-TV is a Heroes & Icons channel in Birmingham, Alabama.

Martin's Grandpa died. (One of the cards in the radio station said "Interview Martin's Grandpa," which was crossed out and "died" written underneath it.)

When Homer envisioned Bart as food, it was as a Butterfinger.

The hot dog stand did not charge extra for chili; a hot dog and a chili dog both cost $2. It was $1 extra for cheese, and $2 extra for a "super" chili dog.

Okay, I'll ask; how were they broadcasting?

In Loving Memory: Simpsons Animator Sooan Kim - first Chavo Guerrero Sr., then Martin's grandfather, and now this.

Blog Entries

I'M SO HAPPY BURSTIN WITH JOY
    MY DAY'S BEEN SPECTACULAR
    IMPROVIN MY VERNACULAR
    EATIN CRACKER JACKULAR (???)
    ITS A PERFECT DAY SO FAR
    PATTY AND SELMA'S CAR??
    D'OH

*mic drop*

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1:

-space odyssey ref, always a classic opener

-overly long visual joke, topped off with unnecessary homer noises

-Homer rapping would've been useful for the great phatsby eps *shrug*

-DMV awards show?

-homer fast talk joke bad

-OMAN that marge scream voice was bad

-Reused THOHXXII musical cue for driving scene

-"I don’t really care what you call your mouth", slightly saves bad chewie joke

Act 2:

-homer sees someone as food joke #12 (most of which in the HD era surprisingly)

-flashback showing why homer likes chilidogs, and yet another explanation to why he's fat.

-laughed at "went over budget by 100,000"

-good animation on old KMR guy and homer. been noticing several fluid moments like this in this production run, which have been enjoyable to catch.

-and now the guys suddenly eat with homer, in the background. that could've been a good plot point.

-song forgettable

-radio funding goes out, just like the funding for this plot did.

-forced homer choking gag

act 3:

-"i thought we were the same age" “so did I”. laughed at that.

-reverse music clown car scene would be better if they walked back into the car in reverse (or just reversed the previous animation getting out)

-kent scene funny

-forced lisa plot tie in

-of course food mascots are part of this fight

-random emotional moment w/ old kmr, who randomly appears to save Homer

-and random shitty Chinatown ref to end on

-also luigi is apparently on same level as krusty/mascot ripoffs

-rip sooan kim

Probably won't remember this episode existed by tomorrow. Adding to the forgettable HD pile.

5/10, 2/5 for poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    -radio funding goes out, just like the funding for this plot did.
    owned

Blog Entries

Was there really anyone that was like "Gee, I wonder where Homer's love of food comes from?" Well, now they have their answer I guess. Neither plots are all that interesting and the opening Dominoe's pizza gag goes on for a bit too long. Also, couldn't care less about the relationship between Homer and Old Hot Dog Guy.

Overall Rating: 2.5/5. This episode clearly has flaws but unfortunately I've seen modern Simps eps do a lot worse, so this gets just an average score.
    Last edited by Mr. Teenie; 02-13-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Are you aroused? OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There was literally
    Sick cliffhanger
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

withered gas station rose cuckold bart's Avatar

5/5

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Telso

Blog Entries

'in memory of George Bush snr' was a nice touch

i just started to identify myself with homer´s shitty life - feels weird

Blog Entries

This is probably one of the most boring and forgettable Simpsons episodes I've ever seen. So forgettable, in fact, that the writers themselves seem to have forgotten to write actual endings for any of the plots in this whole episode.

So for the main plot, Homer is roped into watching some crappy show run by Patty and Selma, then after he callously abandons his family at the theater so he can eat fast food, he finds out all the fast food in town has been replaced with healthy food by the Japanese...for some reason. I'm not sure why, since it's never really explained. This leads Homer to some random chili dog stand run by some old guy, who's name I guess is Deuce, since the name is on the stand, but they never say it in the episode for some reason. Abe randomly shows up at the Simpsons house to tell him that the chili dog stand was a big part of his childhood, leading to a flashback where Mona shows up, voiced by Glenn Close again, where she gives about two lines of dialogue. Wow, that was worth bringing back Close to do the role again, wasn't it? Why did they bother bringing Close back again if they were give her literally nothing to do? Anyway Homer would eat chili dogs at the stand and that's why Homer eats so much. Also Patty and Selma are now jobless and live at the Simpsons house, so Homer is miserable enough to go back to the chili dog place, where the old guy says he doesn't remember Homer. Then we get a montage where Homer goes back to the stand constantly and bonds with the old guy. In a forced attempt to tie-in with the sub-plot, Homer takes Lisa to the stand to cheer her up (wouldn't seeing chili dogs make her more upset?), but the old guy sold the stand to Krusty, who wants it for...some reason, it's not really clear. Krusty only had one scene involving the stand earlier where he mentioned his business wasn't good, but there's no real reason why he wants to own this stand as well. Just for money, I guess? But Krusty now wants to make the chili dog place suck, so Homer drives off with it, and after having Lisa report on the chase in another forced attempt to tie-in to the sub-plot, a bunch of fat guys are inspired to help. So why where they just casually eating healthy food at Krusty Burger if they wanted the greasy food back? A bunch of fast food icons show up somehow to set up a bloackade, and then it ends with the cart dangling off a bridge with Homer on it. The old chili dog guy shows up and says he remembered Homer all along, and the two realize they have a father-son bond as the old guy was why Homer kept coming back. So...why did the old guy pretend not to know who Homer was at first if he cared for him so long? Homer is saved, and everybody goes home, and the story just ends there. So...what's going to happen to the old guy and his relationship with Homer? Are Patty and Selma still jobless and living at the Simpsons house? Will all the fast food restaurants continue serving healthy food? What about Homer realizing earlier that his eating habits are because of him being unhappy? Who knows, because none of this is ever addressed at all in the end. I've complained before about how the last two seasons have had serious issues with rushed endings, but this is a new low, as this time, the writers didn't even care enough to write an actual ending, they just stopped the episode because they ran out of time.

Oh yeah, there's a Lisa sub-plot there too, and it's pretty much pointless. Lisa reports at her aunt's show for her school radio (why would the school care about this random event that's not tied to them in any way?), then Martin mentions at a meeting how their losing to Jimbo's podcast, and then Skinner randomly cuts the radio's budget during an interview, and that's pretty much it. That's the entire sub-plot. They try to tie it in later by having Lisa being sad over it as the reason why she gets involved with Homer's plot and have her report on the chase, but it just feels phoned in and forced. We never even get a moment with Skinner bringing back the school radio after the incident, and the radio thing is just dropped (much like every other plot in this episode), so what's the point? Also we never even knew this radio existed until now, that Lisa worked for it, or why she liked it so much, so who cares if Lisa got to keep her job at the radio station or not? I actually thought that the sub-plot was meant to keep Lisa away from the main plot though. I was also pretty confused to see Lisa help out Homer in his plot. I was expecting Lisa to side with the healthy food in restaurants and just start screaming and whining at Homer over the chili dog stand. They could have explained it by having Lisa initially side with the restaurants, but when she realizes how much joy the chili dog place gives Homer, she ultimately sides with him, which would have given us a nice father/daughter moment, but of course, we don't. Oh, and it's not a Season 28 without another completely pointless and completely shitty 4th act that has nothing to do with anything in the story! This time Luigi shows up to give the fast food icons some pizza, but they've already begun to eat Mayor McCheese instead. Um, since was Luigi important enough to hang out with these fast food guys? Also, hasn't McDonalds retired all their mascots except for Ronald years ago?

Most of the jokes here were either pretty dry or awful. Not only did we get a bunch of long extended gags just to drag out the episode's runtime (The Domino dominos, Homer praying in his car, the fat guys pushing the cart, etc), but for some reason we also had a bunch of random, shitty movie references here too: Homer quotes The Force Awakens and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Bart mentions Batman Begins, and Lou and Wiggum quote Chinatown. Also, as per usual nowadays, Homer spends most of the episode acting like a complete dick: he abandons his family at a theater and doesn't come back to them, presumably forcing them to walk home in the middle of the night, then when he comes home in the morning and finds that his family stayed up worried for him, Homer totally blows them off, then he flatly says to Lisa that he does not give a shit that he's traumatizing her, and then at the end he gets off without having to go to jail. It's amazing that in the most half-assed episode I've seen yet, the writers still went out of their way to make Homer act like an asshole for most of the story. I actually did find Homer's theme song to be a funny joke, but still, it's pretty awful that the writers have made Homer acting like a jerk or being a criminal part of his character now, and have everyone else treat it as "normal" behavior for him, with everyone else brushing it off or making stupid jokes of it. Even Marge doesn't stand up to her insane husband like she would have in the past, she just stands in the back and gives empty smiles, which really depresses me.

Speaking of which, there were two moments in this episode that really stuck out to me over everything else. One was when Marge screamed out to Homer when he abandons her at the theater at the beginning, because it's honestly the absolute worst Marge line I've ever heard her say, as Marge actually sounds just like Patty and Selma when she screams at Homer. Can the writers please stop writing scenes where Marge has to scream, or really give any emotion except generic conversation? Julie Kavner clearly can't do it anymore, and she always sounds like she's in pain or dying whenever they force her to emote too much. The other is the part where doing the car chase, with Homer and Lisa, it briefly cuts to Bart and Marge just watching it on tv, and the two don't show up again until after the plot is over. It stuck out to me because for a moment, it almost came off as unintentional meta-joke on how poorly the two have been treated in modern seasons, where they are now basically background characters who only show up to give a token line or two, while every episode nowadays is either about a Homer plot or a Lisa plot.

So what did I like? Well, the animation was really nice and fluid, especially in the scenes where Homer is talking to the old chili dog guy. I liked some of the jokes, like Homer's theme song. I also liked Homer bonding with the old chili dog guy, as for the most part, I thought it was cute and sweet, especially since it's one of the few times in modern episodes where the writers actually try to give Homer some actual human emotion. Of course, I thought the ending between them was stupid, since we never find out why the old chili dog lied about forgetting Homer, and the whole thing about the two seeing each other as father and son really came out of nowhere, and is a pretty bizarre decision to do involving a new character who never even says his name that has also never been seen before or after this episode. The couch gag was cute as well.

Overall, 2/5, another forgettable adventure.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 02-13-2017 at 09:37 AM.

The captioning said "Chinatown" when Skinner said "South Springfield". Interesting...

Overall I agree the episode was weak plot-wise. There was nothing wrong with the bits of the Lisa plot we saw, but the fact that it was so short and only very loosely connected to the main plot made it seem pointless. I shouldn't be aware of the extent to which something is a time-filler. I also didn't have any issue with a plot about Homer finding a place to escape to eat, but it didn't really feel to different than him going to Moe's except this time it was with a brand new character. And then the plot just got really wacky at the end with the caboose chase and the fast food mascots. I started to lose interest at that point. (And yeah, what happened to Patty and Selma?)

Most of what I liked about the episode were small moments that made me laugh, like Homer's call to Moe that seemed to be to Marge, Krusty attempting to escape by running like a cartoon character, Homer saying "eating is to me what drinking is to me", and the "Anthony's Weiners" bag of hot dogs. I also did enjoy Lisa's interview with Nelson, Kent's disinterested coverage of the chase, and the DMV awards show. I wasn't expecting to laugh at anything, but I did, so I have to give the episode some credit.

Side observation: The show likes to make jokes about the family never visiting Grampa yet he does seem to show up at the house a lot and just be there hanging out for convenience's sake. Since he doesn't have a car, Homer must be bringing him there.

3/5 because it made me chuckle more than the average mediocre HD episode, but that's really all it had going for it.

Yet another instance of grandpa being terrible to young Homer.
    I did like the chili dog vendor. nice to have another black character in Springfield.

super sad dedication to Sooan Kim (animator, RIP)
    Last edited by Anything But Coltrane; 02-13-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anything But Coltrane View Post
    Yet another instance of grandpa being terrible to young Homer.
    Honestly, I actually liked that part. I much prefer to have flashbacks showing that young Abe was an asshole to his son, and that his crappy parenting is a big reason why Homer ended up being so screwed up in life, rather then this weird trend we've been getting for the last decade where all of Abe's misdeeds have been whitewashed away so now he was always really a super awesome dad.

Admittedly, I'm not sure why Mona didn't say anything to defend Homer when Abe insulted him, considering that Mona has always deeply loved her son, and she's always argued with Abe, and they had Glenn Close there so they could have asked her to record more lines to that effect (maybe give an actual reason to why they brought her back here), but whatever, at this point, I'll take what I can get.

Kevin Spacey violated Tyrant! D DEBBS's Avatar

I didn't get the Anthony's Weiners joke until it kicked in while I was watching 'Comic Book Men' last night.

All in all.....as M-E-H as when I'm making chili dogs for my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Honestly, I actually liked that part. I much prefer to have flashbacks showing that young Abe was an asshole to his son, and that his crappy parenting is a big reason why Homer ended up being so screwed up in life, rather then this weird trend we've been getting for the last decade where all of Abe's misdeeds have been whitewashed away so now he was always really a super awesome dad.

Admittedly, I'm not sure why Mona didn't say anything to defend Homer when Abe insulted him, considering that Mona has always deeply loved her son, and she's always argued with Abe, and they had Glenn Close there so they could have asked her to record more lines to that effect (maybe give an actual reason to why they brought her back here), but whatever, at this point, I'll take what I can get.
    I liked the flashback too altho it was sad. It sure explains why Homer has no clue how to be a good dad most of the time.

plus this flashback served to strenghten the story with the chili dogs.
    It wasn't just treated for laughs. all in all a good but sad episode.

Blog Entries

Not a bad but quite forgettable episode. It had some decent gags, but the storylines felt rather weak. And it felt like they couldn't keep a coherent story, to the point that the last act got to wacky for my taste. My main beef is probably how they tried to integrate Lisa's plot, which at the same time felt like a time-filler that had maybe a couple of good moments. The new hot dog vendor didn't interest me in the slightest. Atleast they somewhat managed to capture Homer's love for food, which I usually only see in Selmans episodes. This episode had quite some ''jump outs'' where they have certain moments that kept coming back to drag on more from the same joke. For example, the marriage counselor being right next to the hot dog vendor where you see a new couple, and Krusty appearing from time to time who's really these for a few gags. The first act is probably the best with the domino gag at the beginning, Patty & Selmans performance, Homer's mumbling to Lisa and having him find out that all fast food restaurants turned healthy.

Jokewise this episode did fine. Some of my favorites being Homer's call to Moe calling him a ''sweet bartender'' and the lawyers being revealed when the clown car collapsed. I liked Homer's characterisation and Lisa didn't do all to bad. Its strength lies mostly to the funny jokes/moments, but loses to many points for having an uninteresting plot. Probably one of the more forgettable episodes since quite some time.

2.5/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

I actually liked this episode (so naturally, the majority of reviewers on this thread hated it). It was nice to see Homer's mother, the Krusty the Clown theme song, and a softer side of Homer showing his love for a chili hot dog stand (as opposed to a chain restaurant - remember the Ribwich people?). I even liked the dominos gag at the start of the episode!

As for the subplot - Springfield Elementary has a radio station with call letters WSES? But there's a radio station with the call letters KBBL! So does this mean Springfield is in the "middle" of the country, and moved 5 miles east at the end of Trash of the Titans? (apparently enough distance to move from the "K" to the "W" zone as far as TV/radio station IDs)

maybe the radio call letters are an acronym, like What a Shitty Elementary School.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Since homer is 38 does that mean the flashbacks in this episode took place in 1989? Same year as season 1! Think about it!

Blog Entries

Yes

Blog Entries

Did he appear as santa in that flashback

If not !sue @Al Jean

Blog Entries

Homer is canonically 40 now according to Springfield Up and That 90's Show

maybe a little rustic CousinMerl's Avatar

A very mediocre and fairly episode. I guess I kind of liked the premise of Homer fleeing from Patty & Selma's DMV Awards and ends up discovering Deuce's Caboose chili hot dog cart and finding out that it's where he ate a lot as a kid but it felt so average and choppy; the story of Homer and Deuce, who cannot seem to remember him until the last scene, was decent and I liked how they became friends and Homer getting really attached to the place but I never really felt invested or cared much. The subplot about Lisa's school radio station getting shut down was pointless and although it connected a bit with the main plot it never led anywhere and essentially went unresolved.

The episode was kind of all over the place, pointing in a lot of directions with unnecessary plot threads that went nowhere (such Patty and Selma being fired and having to live at the Simpsons instead of their apartment) and some bizarre moments (like Chalmers knocking Skinner out with a sock stuffed with soap bars & Homer suddenly seeing his aged self in an hospital bed being fed chili sauce through a needle in the remembrance montage of him eating at Deuce's through the years) and to top it off it was rushed in places, especially towards the end where many plot threads were left hanging.

As a whole I didn't think it was so funny either; there were a lot of random movie references shoved in there, both new ones & others that were redone versions of older jokes as well as some other jokes and gags (several drawn-out ones). There were some decent ones though like the two clown car jokes with the lawyers (the backwards one was inspired) and one bit that I really liked was Homer shouting "I have no endgame!" through the open car window during the car chase (I though the deliverly was pretty funny; sadly the only real laugh of the episode for me), but it was pretty dry as a whole.

So all in all, definitely an very average where nothing really stood out except for that one Homer line and how he hits it off with Deuce (who was well-voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson) and relieves his childhood memories of eating there while, still unbeknowst to him, his parents were fighting and seeing a marriage counselor (speaking of which, bringing Glenn Close back for a very brief speaking part as Mona was incredibly unnecessary). I'm inclined to agree with those saying that it was fairly forgettable; there was certainly possibilities with the story but the result was so bland and sort of empty.

2.5/5 rounded up to 3/5

The definition of average. Nothing offensive, some funny moments, and a really innocuous and filling subplot. 2.5 / 5 (Rounded Up to 3).

Thread Information