View Poll Results: Which Modern Simpsons-worthy pun do you award 'The Great Phatsby'?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Besta Thymes

11 23.40%
  • 4/5: Nice, Tube

13 27.66%
  • 3/5: Mehminem

10 21.28%
  • 2/5: Lay Z

4 8.51%
  • 1/5: The Notorious B.A.D.

9 19.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R - "The Great Phatsby" (WABF04 & WABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R - "The Great Phatsby" (WABF04 & WABF05)

Season 28, episode 12
    Original Airdate: January 15, 2017
    Written by: Dan Greaney and Matt Selman
    Directed by: Chris Clements and Tim Bailey.
    Synopsis: Special one-hour episode! Mr. Burns tries to relive his glory days, and crosses paths with a mysterious music mogul. After being conned by him and reduced to bankruptcy, Mr. Burns seeks revenge on the music producer with the help of Homer, Bart, rapper Jazzy James and the mogul's ex-wife, Praline. Also, Lisa is courted by the richest kid in town, Smithers begins a perilous journey and Marge opens an obscure boutique store. Guest Stars: Taraji P. Henson, Keegan-Michael Key, Snoop Dogg, RZA and Common.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

* Blood transfusion joke
    ** Smithers getting hit by moose
    * Homer whipped
    End of act 1, bad. 5/10.
    * Lil Wayne Ice cream
    ** Goose biting
    --- AWFUL rap song!
    --- Another awful rap song in the montage
    End of act 2, AWFUL second act! 1/10.
    * Scene with Smithers
    --- ANOTHER awful rap song! Just bland macho rap.
    -- Stupid narration joke with Homer
    So part 1 was awful! The story was good, but the jokes bombed, and the rap songs were horrible! 2.5/10.
    Time for Part 2:
    * Smithers bursting out of horse
    -- Marge's voice.... AWFUL
    End of act 4, still awful. 1/10.
    --- AWFUL rap song! His voice is so bad!
    --- ANOTHER AWFUL ONE!
    And of course guest stars Snoop Dogg and Common come and magically save everything
    And now it's all about them trying to get his diss track back? This is getting worse and worse.
    End of act 5, ONE OUT OF TEN AGAIN!
    * Lavender Zeppelin
    --- And another bad song.
    Closing Thoughts:
    Worst of the year!
    The plots were a mixed bag. I liked the A plot, it was very tense and action-y, but the B and C plots in Hampton had NO substance, no story, nothing, were just pure filler. And even the A plot ended with a magical guest star appearance.
    The humor was horrible. I laughed a couple times, but most of the jokes were awful. Homer's narration was especially annoying.
    And the songs sucked. The rapping was awful, and, yes, the melodies were poor.
    1.5/10. Awful, awful, episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

lmao

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Missed this, plan to catch up tomorrow via Hulu, but I am curious how the rap was from somebody who doesn't hate everything rap.
    UP AND ATOM!

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

decent episode, not as epic as I thought It would be but It was pretty good none the less!

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

My first watch immediate impressions:

Smithers is confirmed to be a badass. Do not mess with this man over anything.

Loved the War of the Roses ending.I was hoping that would be spoofed one day by the show.
    Jay G needs some work but overall he has potential to be a great reoccurring character.
    Burns gets emotional - the season
    Lisa story I felt was filler. There was really no real conclusion except the guy was a jerk. I am sure there was a greater Fitzgerald influence behind that, but it felt overall like pointless time filling.
    I kind of liked seeing Burns get jerked around, but overall you do feel bad for him. It's like he wanted to impress Jay so much.
    I wish there was more of Praline. That girl is a firecracker and I would have loved to see her and Jay get into it.
    Snoop. Nothing more needs to be said.

The rap? It's not bad at all, in fact there was less than I thought there would be in this.

So many Homer/Burns moments. I am wondering exactly why is Homer sticking up for him though?
    Why isn't Burns scheming alone? He's great at this. Why does he need the help of Bart and Homer?
    Nice callback with the plush goose and Bobo.

Really enjoyed it. Well-told story, excellent new secondary character (Jay G), really great animation, and easily my favorite Burns story in a decade. My only two issues are I actually wish the revenge rap had been properly performed for a bigger climax, and that I wish Lisa's story expanded throughout the episode instead of Marge's odd and pointless shop story. My biggest fear going into the episode was how Simpsons would handle hip hop culture, but thankfully it was very smart to bring in an expert to handle the music. Also, great choice having no Simpsons characters rap. This easily could've been super lame and out of touch, but it thankfully wasn't.
    Lots of great jokes throughout. Really liked the nerdy white guy (Milhouse) being the rap expert (a lot of truth there). And the Smithers runner was really good and helped tie everything up.
    4.5/5
    Signature.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Stupid football game running over again.

I liked the inscription on Ebenezer Burn's tomb.

well I didn't see the whole thing because I was tuning in and out between this and to tell the truth

Blakes voice sounded so wrong, they could have gotten someone better

it seems okay but wait, when did Burns write another book? yeah remember the old days of "Will There Ever Be a Rainbow?" even that got a callback in the comics

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

I went into this episode thinking it would suck, then it started, and it was actually decent, but then it got bad in some parts. Maybe this episode isn't for me because I don't really like rap or hip hop music, so that I'm taking into account. Overall, better than I expected, but still not a great episode, just ok. I thought it was stupid for the revenge rap to be deleted and then throw in the revenge with the stupid goose at the end. And from the promos and after watching it, I knew I would hate Praline, very dumb stereotype of a character. To finish up, could have been worse, could have been better. 2.5/5.

Holy mother of Dog, that was a bad episode. Maybe a new worst episode ever.
    Remember that classic episode when the kids cringed seeing their dad try to rap? That's what watching that episode was like for me.

Blog Entries

I think my biggest problem with this ep is how it barely tries to establish any atmosphere before leaping into the story - like, Springfield is pretty much the polar opposite of West Egg, yet most of the non-guest stars don't act remotely surprised about being in someplace so different. The whole ep is supposed to be this grand venture into a different place with a whole different cast of characters, but the whole Gatsby parody could have probably been thrown out and the fundamental story would still be just as coherent.

Besides that I guess this was pretty much a standard modern simps ep disguised as a huge hour-long event? Lisa falling in love with a rich kid for about 3 minutes before going off to ride ponies was nonsensical. Marge opening up a shop was constantly shoved to the side in favor of Homer/Burns to the point that it was as fleshed-out as the Smithers gag before abruptly ending. And then there's the Burns story which honestly probably could have worked without all the other garbage it was wrapped in - I dunno, maybe take a minute out of all the wealth montages to explain why Burns and Homer suddenly don't hate each other anymore?

By the way did anyone count how many obvious meta Gatsby refs were shoved into the ep? Off the top of my head, there's Burns shoutin GREAT GATSBY, Lisa directly pointing out a Fitzgerald ref from Marge, Homer starting part 2 with a Fitzgerald quote, and an act break joke that "parodied" the last sentence of Gatsby.

so yeah that's two Selmans of this season wasted. rip.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Just before Homer offers to row Mr. Burns over to the other party, when he says "awww," his lips don't move.

Does Marge just commute from Springfield to the Hamptons every day?

In the first shot of Marge and the kids in Middle Hampton, Maggie doesn't have her hair ribbon, but it appears in the second shot.

Burns's credit card number is 0000 0000 0000 0002, just as his Social Security Number is 000-00-0002.

Another short cameo: Charles Barkley says four words ("Still better than Shaq!").

Of the four Employee of the Month plaques Homer threw down the trap door, three were Mr. Burns, and one was Carl.

Amazing how the chandelier's fall slowed down just as Smithers and his slush entered.

Jim Beanz, Phil LaMarr, and Dawnn Lewis got "Also Starring" credits.

Additional Vocals by: V. Bozeman, Charlean Carmon, Sally Stevens, Destiny Torres
    Additional Score by: Jim Beanz
    Songs:
    "CEO of Obsidian" - Music by Jim Beanz; Lyrics by Jim Beanz & Dan Greaney; Perofrmed by Kevin Michael Richardson, Destiny Torres
    "Jazzy James Battle Rap" - Music by Jim Beanz; Lyrics by Jim Beanz & Dan Greaney & Matt Selman; Perofrmed by Keegan-Michael Key
    "Group Diss Battle Rap" - Music by Jim Beanz; Lyrics by Jim Beanz & Dan Greaney & Matt Selman; Perofrmed by Common, RZA, Snoop Dog
    (maybe one of these days I might get around to transcribing the lyrics...)

Both Akom and Rough Draft received "Overseas Production" credits.
    Speaking of animation, was it just me, or did some of it look off-model?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    (maybe one of these days I might get around to transcribing the lyrics...)
    Springfield! Springfield! will probably have it up in a few days

Blog Entries

It felt like a standard HD episode with the Gatsby references not really doing anything for me but the main storyline was somewhat interesting, even if I think they could have done more with it considering the extra time they had. The rap songs were okay I guess. 3/5

Man, kinda ironic how I had very little to say about the double length ep.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@That Don Guy Had some time and tried to transcribe them. Couldn't understand a few lines, mainly Rizza's part, but it's a start I guess.

CEO of Obsidian Lyrics:

Rich KMR: Used to be the man Burns, now you just a bad joke. Used to be about to die, now you only dead broke. I gave you the card Burns, and you spent your mind out. It was all a trap yo, as you ‘bout to find out.

(talking) Jay G is CEO of Obsideooon, biaatch!

Goose: Honk.

Rich KMR: Now your bank account is withering, your bottom lip is quivering. Your Hufflepuff, I’m Slytherin. There’s no one to your Smitherin. This is where your money went, it fit you from the 1% (?). Now watch me as my fingers tick, cause I own you, it is excellent!

Autotune Piano Girl: Excellleeeeent! You’re broke noow! Your cash was your passion, now Jay owns your ass son.

Jazzy James Battle Rap Lyrics:

KMK Candle Guy: Jay, you’re a rhyme thief, a hip hop purgerer. If my words were beef patties, you’d be the hamburgular. My beats are the freshest, (w/ robot voice) my beats are the freshest, your reeks start at solemn (?), like gollum did precious. Time for the truth to be paid off, you’re a lyrical made off. So if you wanna go to war bra, hit me up and I’ll write the rap for ya.

Group Diss Battle Rap Lyrics:

Rizza: Yo, I wanna backsmack Jay G son. He took that name, tame clan from me (?). And since then I couldn’t beat you, I had to chant my tame clan my room (?).

Snoop: I seen jay G, pimp lie and ra. Took my handiman, all for ja. When I did complain, all he did was laugh. Now I got half a gazebo, and not even the good half.

Common: I would never wish hate on my brother, cause we’re all from the same celestial mother. Wait,

(talking) I just remembered, Jay G crashed my jetski. I hope he get food poisoning from nachos, peace!

Act 1:

Decent so far. The Selman/hour long pacing is appreciated. Plot is fairly standard, but it could still get better from here.

Laughs: Moe’s Xerox’d suit and Homer being whipped.

Act 2:

Couldn't care any less about Lisa's plot. Douche hoverboard kid with generic Azaria voice might've been funnier on paper. Just another standard subplot.

Some good facial expressions here and there, like the candle guy are nice. Also liking Jim Beanz musical cues, helps in trying to give a unique tone to the episode, even if the writing isn't helping with it.

Laughs: Blowing the felt signature.

Act 3:

THIS face:

Still don't give a fuck about Lisa's plot. Part 1 ends with Mr. Burns and Homer explaining what just happened of course.

Laughs: Rich Kid regretting not being a douche.

Act 4:

Homer betrays Burns, then rejoins him. They get rappers to stop KMR, but then THEY betray him.

Also, Marge buys a store, that’s a plot.

How many times has the Milhouse = Barts friend joke been done? That joke really stuck out as reused to me for some reason.

Laughs: Milhouse knowing rap, candle guy being hanged over a window.

Act 5:

Homer's broke, making Marge end the house plot. Idea of Marge suddenly buying a family store might've been a decent episode on its own, sucks that it was shoved in as filler for this hour.

If KMR was given a little more of a character in this episode, I might've been fine with his reason from using Mr. Burns book ideas, or bought the friendship, or had some sort of connection to this major character of this hour long show.

Hey look, Smithers ice pile saved the day, that plot tied in after all, oh wow.

Kinda like remix credits.

Laughs: Marge telling Lisa she indeed did graduate high school. "Let's not do this tomorrow".

Overall: it's okay. As an hour long special of a 30 minute TV show, its a disappointment, but its adequate Selman Simpsons material. Mr. Burns plot was functional, would've liked to have had KMR's character given more of a personality and interesting relationship with Burns, maybe a few more developments in general to be more interesting, but its fine.

For Lisa and Marge's plots, they were pretty pointless. Maybe if they carried Lisa's plot into part 2 like I thought they were, with rich kid getting revenge instead of being broken and forgotten completely, or just stuck with Marge's shop plot and the idea of these family stores on this street being evil, I dunno, one of them needed to be cut.

There weren't many laughs, but there also wasn't anything cringy at least. And for an episode centered around hip hop, that's kind of an achievement. It's an hour of average Selman/S14 material, with an okay Mr. Burns plot.

Maybe I'm just extra tired/grouchy tonight, or just being too critical of the show doing an HOUR LONG SPECIAL and actually expecting extra excitement from it.

Low 3/5.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

In all honesty, this really exceeded my expectations. I got worried when I saw the tralier that they were going to use this Simpson milestone as an excuse to promote the Empire. Instead, the plot was pretty interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

This was quite good, I haven't actually cared for Burns this much for some time. As if this season hasn't been heavy on Mr Burns already they even make an hour long special for him. The quest stars weren't bothersome at all, and most of them only showed up in the last act anyway. Jay G (and his goose) are great new characters and proper villains for Burns. It really helped making this episode last longer to built him up. The main plot is obviously the best, while some of the subplots were rather filling up the episode with and ended so abrupt.

With this episode being so long, I'll just some up some random thoughts to avoid making my post to big:

- Liked Homer's narrating and how he broke the fourth wall when the first part of the episode ended
    - Indifferent with the blood infusion joke
    - Good Burns flashback
    - Smithers in Alaska... probably some of the episodes funnier moments. Awesome ending aswell
    - Pretty much liked how Burns's party turned out
    - Good way to introduce Jay G with how they entered his party
    - Loved the relationship with the goose and Homer (while coincidally the previous episode featured Homer with a good relationship with an animal aswell)
    - Lisa encounters a spoiled rich kid, I like how she stood up to him.
    - Not sure what to think of the rich kid. Obviously he's extremely spoiled, but yet he's willing to chance so much for Lisa
    - .....What a good idea for a plot, and then it ended with Lisa wanting to brush a pony instead
    - The whale scene was funny though
    - Liked the airplane scene with how Jay G reacted to Burns writing o his new creditcard
    - Good thing I didn't read the episodes description, because Jay G betraying Burns actually came as a surprise for me now
    - Not a bad rap. The goose is the best thing though
    - Homer actually feels bad for Burns, they have quite a history behind them after all
    - The mausoleum sene was good
    - Omg Millhouse is funny for once
    - Loved seeing Marge going insane with her store
    - To many new celebrities all coming at once... cannot handle
    - Good ending to a good episode

So overall, this episode is a pleasant surprise. The show is not exactly known for properly handling a lot of celebrities, with the only exception being Homer at the Bat which is just brilliant. Sometimes even handling a single celebrity is to much to ask for these days. For a first double-lengthed episode they might've picked a better premise though, this is not exactly one that attracts the crowd unlike a certain other one hour special. I can give most credits for having a good enjoyable main story, with some great relationships including Homer and the goose. The animation was top aswell. There are certain flaws like Lisa's plot not being developed further, Bart even lacked a plot and ended up as Homers sidekick. You'd think that hip hop is more interesting for someone like Bart. Marge's plot was a nice filler plot, but it just kept switching back to the main plot. There were a lot of good jokes aswell. Not sure if this is the best episode of the season yet, but it was enjoyable and hopefully we'll see more specials like these.

4.5/5

And to add, I think its a bit of a shame that people downrate this episode by a lot if they just don't like the rap music. It was the same deal with not liking Colonel Homer at all just because it had coutnry music, while the episode itself was brilliant to say the least.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    @That Don Guy Had some time and tried to transcribe them. Couldn't understand a few lines, mainly Rizza's part, but it's a start I guess.
    Thanks - here are the corrected versions:

CEO of Obsidian Lyrics:

Rich KMR:
    Used to be the man Burns, now you just a bad joke
    . Used to be about to die, now you only dead broke.
    I gave you the card Burns, and you spent your mind out.
    It was all a trap yo, as you ‘bout to find out.

(talking) Jay G is CEO of Obsideooon, biaatch!

Rich KMR:
    Now your bank account is witherin'
    Your bottom lip is quiverin'
    You're Hufflepuff, I’m Slytherin
    There’s no one doin' your Smitherin'
    This is where your money went
    Evict you from the 1%
    Now watch me as my fingers tent
    Cause I own you, it is excellent!

Autotune Piano Girl:
    Excellleeeeent!
    You’re broke now!
    Your cash was your passion
    Now Jay owns your ass, son

Jazzy James Battle Rap Lyrics:

KMK Candle Guy:
    Jay, you’re a rhyme thief, a hip hop perjurer.
    If my words were beef patties, you’d be the Hamburglar.
    My beats are the freshest, (w/ robot voice) my beats are the freshest,
    You reached out and stole 'em, like Gollum did Precious.
    Time for the truth to be paid off, you’re a lyrical Madoff.
    So if you wanna go to war bra, hit me up and I’ll write the rap for ya.

(Madoff refers to Bernie Madoff)

Group Diss Battle Rap Lyrics:

Rizza:
    Yo, I wanna backsmack Jay G son.
    He took that name, Tang-Clan from me.
    And since there couldn't be two,
    I had to change my Tang-Clan to Wu.

(RZA was the producer of Wu-Tang Clan)

Snoop:
    I seen jay G, pimp lie and rob
    Took my handyman off a job
    And when I complained, all he did was laugh
    Now I got half a gazebo, and not even the good half

Common:
    I would never wish hate on my brother, cause we’re all from the same celestial mother
    Wait -
    (talking) I just remembered, Jay G crashed my jetski. I hope he get food poisoning from nachos, peace!

5/5!

The Great Phatsby was a "phan-tastic" episode, in my opinion. I've never seen The Great Ghatsby (or Empire, which it appeared this episode spoofed), but it was enjoyable from start to finish. So Homer apparently likes cobbler now? More than donuts?

And I'll say it again - Matt Selman should be the full-time showrunner. So far this season, his episodes have been the most enjoyable.

Are you aroused? OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Great Phatsby 2/10

- The alternate cloud tune rendition sounds phoney.
    # We open with a narration á la Gatsby, by Homer, but we quickly cut to Mr. Burns, who thinks back at his frisky youth.
    ½- He throws out invitations for a party, and Homer is assigned to hand out flyers. He tells Flanders he's not invited, which could've been a pretty good job, but something about how it's executed makes it so... awkward. A prime example of how important good voice acting is to deliver a joke. Flanders just reacts blandly and then they just look at each other with blank expressions.
    ½- And another example is Wiggum telling everyone they can do drugs around or even with him since he's off-duty. The delivery is so bad, it doesn't work.
    + The floor in Burns' mention looks pretty artwise.
    + Mr. Burns thinks Smithers has the time of his life, and then we cut to him having a real wildlife struggle. I wouldn't mind if this was the plot instead.
    - Mr. Burns actually says "Great Gatsby!". Hammer it in, why won't you?
    + (when Burns enters a party with people in white suits) "A white party. Although we interpreted the theme a bit differently in those days.."
    # Rapper #1: Jay G. (fictional, voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson)
    # We meet the Golden Goose.

And what the hell does all this have to do with The Great Gatsby? What the hell is going on?

-- Why is Burns so fascinated with this party? In the old days, he would have been really wound up by all the "hip nonsense" and whatnot, but instead he loves it. Why?
    - We cut back to Homer's awful narration, which I fear will only become more prominent.
    -- The choir music in the background as we switch to a new scene is terrible.
    -- A snotty kid cuts in line, and already there I can see exactly where this story will go. She hates him at first, she falls in love with him, he turns out in the end to still be a jerk, she breaks up with him.
    # Rapper #2: Jazzy James (fictional, voiced by Keegan Key).
    -- I really can't get over the ridiculous voice of the rich kid Lisa hangs out with. Hank Azaria is on true autopilot mode here.
    # Huh, Lisa already gets pissed at him. She walks away. But I've got the feeling it won't be the last of this. By the way, does her mother have any idea where she is?!
    +/- Is this funny or just plain bad? We get a short rap which is really dumb, but at the same time a little amusing. Then we see Burns rocking his head back and forth in a real "I'm diggin' it" matter which I guess is kinda priceless, but it still doesn't take away from what a stupid direction the plot is going in.
    -- Homer's excruciating narration continues on. I can't stand this.
    -- And get rid of the dumb choir already!
    -- Burns meets Homer and his pals in cool clothes, and continues spitting out some annoyingly out-of-character unfunny lines, like "No more loneliness." SERIOUSLY, THIS IS FUCKING MR. BURNS WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!
    ½+ Marge makes a weird face against the window.
    -- Called it, didn't I! Lisa meets the rich kid again, only now he's "reformed", and an environmentalist vegetarian like Lisa. For some really stupid reason combing horses is considered murder, which is supposed to be... haha? But it's not. Not in the slightest.
    +/- Oh, so we are following Smithers' journey a little more at least. I like that. But Burns calling him on cellphone doesn't feel right, they should've made a joke with him being really outdated.
    +/- Man, another moment where I laugh and cringe at the same time. The rap is so bad it makes me chuckle, but Richardson trying to rap is just... geez.
    -- Homer keeps narrating.
    ½- We cut to Smithers' adventure, but don't get nearly as much now. Disappointing.
    --- Let's not comment on Marge's voice this time.
    --- The choir is really getting on my nerves! JUST STOP!!!
    + I'll give the episode this: they do make the settings looks really big. Great overhead shot of when Jay G. sits in Burns' office. Of course however this is not nearly enough to save this mess, so only one plus.
    -- Homer still is narrating.

Homer finds Mr. Burns all lonely, and now suddenly wants to help him. Meanwhile, OSS waits for someone to put him out of his misery.

--- The choir plays again.
    +/-- Key is pretty decent at rapping, although the concept of Mr. Burns firing back at Jay G. with a REVENGE RAP is too dumb for words.
    # Rapper #3: Praline (fictional, voiced by Taraji P. Henson)
    --- Wow, 3 rappers step in at once! Talk about shilling.
    #Rapper #4-6: Snoop Dog, RZA and Common.
    ½+ RZA, Snoop Dog and Common starts rapping, which is all right but way too short. These raps are so rushed.
    ½+ Common giving Milhouse a brother hug is an okay bit, I suppose.
    --- Why the fuck is Mr. Burns hosting a diss rap show?! Seriously, I can't believe how ridiculously unlike himself he's acting.
    - Well, now he loses it in mere seconds. Snoop, RZA and Common are completely wasted. Man, I actually like RZA but he's being criminally underused.
    ? Is Mr. Burns staring at Praline's tits? Haha.
    --- This is the last straw... STOP PLAYING THAT CHOIR!!!
    - So we basically had an entire hidden subplot with Marge holding a store? ... Okay.
    # Burns came up with a plan to make Homer cook Jay G.'s goose. But Homer cooks a different goose, since he likes it too much.
    --- ... Homer.
    Shut.
    The fuck.
    Up.
    Stop narrating!
    ½- Smithers comes back, but the resolution to his storyline is a letdown. And I don't even like the direction it took earlier (him fighting a biker gang). Now he's their leader. There's not even much of a joke here.
    -- The episode FINALLY ends, and Burns is not bitter. No, he even puts on rap for the employees to enjoy. Wh-

What did you really expect? This was one poorly plotted, badly structured pile of shit. It doesn't have much going for it in the first place, but it only gets worse and worse.
    If you thought this was a parody of The Great Gatsby, you're sadly mistaken. The Family Guy segment in High School English, that was a Gatsby parody. This however wasn't. As soon as we get to the rappers, the episode makes little to no attempts to have it do anything with the book or even so much as the feature film. But worse than that, I didn't feel like I was watching Mr. Burns a single second. Even in his worst episodes you usually still get a few typical Burns esque moments. Not so here! When he enters the party, he doesn't act confused, scared or angry. No, he's digging it right away! WHAT?! How on earth is this how he would react?!?! If they wanted someone who knew about rap (shit, at least someone who actually knows what it is, how the hell would Mr. Burns know about rap), just pick another character. There wasn't any reason to use Mr. Burns, since they stray so far away from Gatsby anyway. Even Rich Texan would have worked better! And on top of that, Homer just hangs around. Why? Why does he care about hanging around Burns doing hijinks with all these people? I know we had him come with him in the Losh Ness episode, but at least he was engaged in some way. Here he just mostly stood around following him around, not even capable of cooking the right goddamnn use. They might as well just have used Mr. Smithers. But gotta have Homer somehow! Sigh. And he just won't shut up with his overexplaining and super dull narration. It's like Lisa in The Yellow Badge Of Cowardge, except it least was confined to 21 minutes!!! The choir following almost every single time he started talking was so grating I went nuts. And like I said before, Burns doesn't act like himself. Why is he trying to act so with the times?? This is even worse than when he was obsessed with a VR helmet! And the resolution is just him getting embarrassed, which shows just how much he has weakened over the years. And in a terrible fight scene, him and Jay G. become friends again over a book. But why did they even become friends in the first place??? How did Jay G. know who Mr. Burns is???
    Sorry to those who are Key fans, but I found him incredibly laughless. His voice doesn't fit for an animated character, it's his facial expressions in combination with it which makes him funny. And the lines he got were complete shit.

On the (very few) plus sides, Kevin Michael Richardson tried his best despite the material. And some of the rapping was fine, even though it felt thrown in at the last minute. I do like the rap soundtrack overall as well.
    The rappers: Snoop Dog was okay, Common was pretty unmemorable, RZA was pretty good when it comes to his performance, but he didn't get much time at all! No wonder Snoop was promoted more. Taraji P. Henson however was really annoying. Her performance was so forced, and her character didn't make me laugh once.

We have 3 subplots, only one of them which has potential, and even that one is awfully rushed. Let me split this up:

Subplot 1
    Lisa befriends a rich kid (she didn't really fall in love with him like I predicted, but...), despite him acting like a snotty asshole. She comes with him on a boat trip, and he's still the same douche. She storms off, but then meets him again and he pretends to have changed. And then... they never see each other again. No I'm not kidding, that's it. What a waste of time. But I do have one more thing to note on: Hank Azaria was atrocious as the kid! While he might be trying more than most of the other actors on this show now, he still can be really, really bad in some new episodes. His voice as the kid annoyed me so much it made me want to punch him in the face.

Subplot 2

Marge opens a shop. It then closes when Homer comes back. It's the thinnest of them for sure. And has no jokes.

Subplot 3

Smithers is in the wilderness looking for ice to Mr. Burns. Now this wasn't actually that bad to a start. I chuckled at his hardship the first two times they cut away to it, and in comparison to the other random bullcrap it seemed way more exciting. Well, way more is a bit of a stretch, but at least a little. The third time though, we only saw maybe 5 seconds of it, and with the fourth time it took a very groanworthy route. Smithers is in a fight with a biker gang? Okay, first of all, that is probably the least interesting way they could've taken with it. And secondly, how did it happen? How did he encounter them? Heck, later on we don't even get to know why he is now their leader. It's very sad that this is still the best story.

Oh Christ, I thought my review of this nonsense of a 42 minutes would never be completed. KILL ME. Not even the raps were that impressive, so for the rap fans this will likely be a disappointment too. The Simpsons just can't write lyrics anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

hmm. may edit or post again later when I recall more details

this was a great ep, very funny. I think my boyfreind laughed more in this special
    than he did the previous S28 episodes combined.

some highlights: Smithers quest for ice
    Wigum thinking he became a cop too young
    (maybe a callback to Homer's mother episode
    where Mona shut down Burns' germ factory

" bronchail tubes clearing, asthma disappearing
    acne.. still there... but asthma disappearing!"

Wigum wanting to do drugs at party
    Marge's adoorable shop takes over her life
    Homer calling narration a lazy story tell device

Homer liking the goose (who totally hates him
    "even though our masters are fighting, we can still hang out")
    all Empire references

Homer getting stoned when Snoop Dogg records his rap
    Burns hitting rock bottom
    "that's much worse" extended gag

Lenny is paid NOT to make eye contact w/ Burns
    Homer's freinds become Burns posse
    Homer casually saying Bart's home life is "messed up"
    as reason why Bart can help scheme revenge

the obsidian card and Burns' spending spree
    I can't think of any low points or jokes that didn't work
    this was a rare 5/5 episode

(Possibly extra half point for debuting after
    fantastic Packers vs Cowboys game.
    that field goal in the last minute was epic.
    well done cheese heads, well done.)

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Freeze frame fun:

You can see Lucius Sweet (from "The Homer They Fall") in the crowd at Jay G's party, and you can see Ramrod (from "Take My Wife, Sleaze") in the cabin when Smithers is fighting the biker.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbonCommittee View Post
    Freeze frame fun:

You can see Lucius Sweet (from "The Homer They Fall") in the crowd at Jay G's party, and you can see Ramrod (from "Take My Wife, Sleaze") in the cabin when Smithers is fighting the biker.
    Cool. Do you have a screencap of Lucius Sweet? I saw him, missed Ramrod tho.

It was a little better than OK. After season 10 I feel the show has declined. Hovering around 7 out of 10. Once in a while an 8 star will appear but never anymore 9's

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

This seems polarizing from the poll. I'll have to agree with the people who liked it. I enjoyed the episode enough. I'd give it either a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I guess this was pretty much a standard modern simps ep disguised as a huge hour-long event?
    If the writers are to be believed, it was just a normal episode that became two because they liked the plot that much, so in all honesty it was exactly that.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Blog Entries

Bart's exchange with that black candle dude was some of the most expressive character animation they've done in a while. That's kinda sad if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HansomeBwonderful View Post
    It was a little better than OK. After season 10 I feel the show has declined. Hovering around 7 out of 10. Once in a while an 8 star will appear but never anymore 9's
    fuck you pal
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    my tame clan
    are u kidding me

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

:shrug:

Thread Information