View Poll Results: The one where Homer speaks LIVE

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 – Tell Homer what a fantastic episode this was!

7 12.50%
  • 4/5 – Tell Homer it was pretty good

13 23.21%
  • 3/5 – Tell Homer it was okay

15 26.79%
  • 2/5 – Tell Homer it was pretty bad

13 23.21%
  • 1/5 – Tell Homer how much this episode sucked!

8 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: “Simprovised” (VABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: “Simprovised” (VABF13)

may 15, 2016
    season 27 episode 21
    previous r&r
    next r&r

After butchering a speech in front of all of his friends at work, Homer turns to improv comedy to gain back his confidence in his public speaking skills. Meanwhile, Marge decides to rebuild Bart's lackluster treehouse, but tensions rise when Bart questions her building skills. Also, in the episode's last three minutes, Homer appears LIVE for the first time on television (both for East and West Coast broadcasts) to answer fan questions.

Rate and review after episode airs.

credit goes to @handsome_devil for r&r format
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

stop mentioning me please
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

*Ten-second FOX 25 News promo plays*
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Let the show begin!

Not going to submit any questions though; the traffic will probably be high.

Blog Entries

i was really worried that the ten second promo wouldn't appear, but wiley really calmed my fears for yet another week

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

The episode starts in a typical Al Jean episode opening: Minor subplot, subplot, main plot and B-story.

Marge opts to spruce up the treehouse for Bart? Reminds me of how in my family, my mom is the handy-person.
    Mr. Burns taking Homer's joke reminds me of the Arthur episode "Buster's Growing Grudge."

Nice Alf cameo!
    And of course, the female improv artist sounds like every other female incidental/background character appearing on the show for the past few years.
    I enjoyed Marge and Homer screaming in their minds!
    And we again get Marge's 76-year-old crying voice...

LOL at the official throw-up bucket.
    I expected Homer to make a good recovery like that...

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Time for a good old fashioned ratings trap!
    -- Stupid rubbing eyes joke.
    ** Nail in Bart's hair.
    End Of Act 1: 3/10
    -- Lame filler sequence.
    --- Really stupid comedy club scene
    ** "May I hear a suggestion?"
    ** That's the thing that boobs touch!
    End of act 2, still weak. 3/10.
    --- Wait a second, did Bart say he had the hots for Marge? Again?
    ** Man with fire in mouth.
    End of act 3.
    Closing Thoughts:
    What a terrible episode.
    So Homer decides to do stand up comedy to improve his public speaking skills. They very briefly introduce a conflict about him cheating, which is barely introduced or developed, and dropped just like that. Meh.
    Meanwhile Bart decides to build a treehouse but Marge gets angry about it, then she just sleeps it off, Homer does some stupid Frankenstein imitation, and the problem is magically solved with no indication of what happened to the treehouse. MEH.
    Most importantly, the jokes bombed. Only a few were funny, and the rest were dumb. None of the stand-up comedy scenes were funny, there were lots of bland filler sequences, and other stupid jokes. BLAH.
    It was obvious they were just rushing this episode so that they could get the live segment in. 2/10, 1/5 for the polls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

"the simpsons will never end. now i've told you two lies" simpsons is ending soon confirmed. you heard it first folks
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

That live segment was pretty innovative, I will say. The animation of Homer did remind me of some of those online attempts at automated lip-sync, but Homer did give us some amusing jokes. I also loved Bender's cameo as well.

As for Homer's lie on the Simpsons never ending, I recall Al Jean said he plans to end it at Season 30, which would be a good place to end it.

Blog Entries

only funny joke was ralph having a complete treehouse of horror collection. otherwise boring episode, and the live thing at the end was dumb, really stupid questions and all those characters walking on screen was annoying. don't bring back futurama imo.

Blog Entries

lol that live segment was a trainwreck. nothing but homer sittin there with horrible lip sync and slight hand movements every now and then to make it look interesting. and those random character cameos were another absolutely painful way to make it look interesting. and everyone that called in was like 70 years old and asked ridiculously inane questions. i have no comments to make about the actual episode itself

Blog Entries

Homer's mouth did not accurately represent his expression, which was the most entertaining part of the live segment IMO.

Sky1 in the UK didn't manage to secure live broadcast rights in the UK in time (technical fault my ass!) so I only managed to catch the last act and the live segment online. Felt a bit eerily jarring with the lack of any foley and just Homer's voice, and the questions frankly left something to be desired. I guess I was hoping for a technical glitch or some obscenity to be slipped in. Maybe in Season 40, when it's all live.

Blog Entries

Geez those were some inane questions

WHAT STYLE OF PIZZA DO YOU LIKE. How is Dan supposed to work with that

Blog Entries

dan prolly be like homer and shivering on the floor goin "IM A FAILURE" after this tbh

Blog Entries

maybe the west(best) coast will have better questions

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

It dawned on me that I missed it and later airings will have a different live segment.

And if I watch it online I won't know which one I'll see.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Blog Entries

If you hear a question about pizza and the last question is about Homer’s favorite job, it’s the weast east coast feed.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very meh episode. It wasn't very funny, nad I think the main plot could've been better than it was. It tried to introduce a hackneyed conflict at the last second with Moe telling Homer what he would say, but it didn't amount to anything and just ended abruptly so they could get to the Homer Live segment. Meanwhile, the subplot was totally pointless and didn't even end. Did he get a new treehouse or not? It just ended with him apologizing. The actual Homer Live segment wasn't anything special either; certainly not worth wasting three minutes of an episode for. 2/5

Blog Entries

I'll give my thoughts on the actual episode later, but man, those questions for the live segment were pretty disappointing and pointless. The only one I really liked was Homer's favorite job.

I got to admit though, when Homer was asked if he liked Lenny or Carl more, I had no idea if Homer mixing them up was supposed to be in character, or if Dan really had just forgotten which was which and was just trying to cover it up.

I was kinda hoping the announced "Mo-cap" Homer at the end of this ep would show him eroding a urinal cake like he did that one time, but it was all off camera. Homer lost big on that Mo-cap investment.. (actually, I cant think of a time when Mo-cap has helped anyone ever?) but I hope This outing worked well for the Simpson production team.

I wonder who was doing the call screening? cuz they only allowed the weakest entries to pass, but i guess i shouldve expected that.

Blog Entries

mo-cap has been used extensively in movies for over a decade now

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    mo-cap has been used extensively in movies for over a decade now
    and has it "Helped?" thats my question

It was decent. Not great, not terrible.

3/5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

The western phone number was 1-888-726-6660
    NO FLANDERSES
    A WORRIED MILHOUSE IS STANDING BY

Ralph's treehouse has "Treehouse of Horror: The Complete Collection." I thought I was the only one with that - well, me, and everybody who has access to episodes on Simpsons World or FX Now.

At the improv club, Mr. Largo is sharing a table with Miss Hoover.

Homer says, "More crab meat for me!", forgetting that Lisa would not have had any crab.

One of the items at the fair was "Luigi's Medical Marinara."

Here is the final segment on the west coast - apparently, the pre-question segment was the same in both versions, but the questions were different; I don't know about the post-questions one.

Hello! I've gathered you here because I have an important announcement.
    This is the last episode of The Simpsons. It's been a great run...
    Just kidding! The Simpsons will never end!
    Now I've told you two lies.
    And to prove that we're live, the Texas Rangers beat the Toronto Blue Jays today by a technical knockout.

"If Donald Trump becomes president, are you going to move out of Springfield and possibly move to Canada?"
    Well, there are a lot of people who want me to move out of Springfield already, so, but I don't think Canada will want me to, will welcome me.
    But you know what: that's why I'm for Bernie Sanders. I love his chicken. But out of respect, we should refer to him as The Colonel.

"After all these years, how would you finally get rid of Patty & Selma?"
    The best way is not to bathe, and I've been doing that for a month. But they smoke so much, it seems to cover up the odor.
    But I have to say, I'm getting a lot of time to myself.

"I drank too much this weekend. What is your best hangover cure?"
    The best hangover cure is to sleep on the lawn, and stay there until Marge stops being angry.

(Bender shows up with a sign: "Bring Back Futurama (Again)")

"What's your favorite thong?" (He may have meant to say "song," but it did come out "thong")
    What's my favorite thong? My favorite thong is that Brazilian one that doesn't pinch too tight around the waist.

Well, I guess that's it.
    Let's, uh, we gotta wrap up for the, for the day.
    I just want to say, that it's been great doing this, and, you know, it's all too short.
    The whole thing took three minutes, like, eating a burger, or making love.
    I want to also say that if you didn't get your questions answered, hang on, and wait until that show, you know, uh, whatev-oh yes, wait until Empire answers that question,
    they'll do it on Wednesday night, somebody should be on the phone, or somebody should tell them.
    And now we're flashing the credits of the many people who worked long and hard on this, laughter fades, someone call Uber.

Blog Entries

the thing homer used to prove he was live was different on the east coast, here it was a slam of drake's performance last night on saturday night live.

Blog Entries

You'd think an episode about improv comedy would give the writers a chance to bust out their best assorted jokes but no. Or maybe those were their best assorted jokes but they just sucked at it. But seriously, Homer saying stock improv lines followed by laughter in the entire audience felt way too jarring. You can't expect us to believe Homer doing a two-second Cajun impression is going to elicit major laughs and critical acclaim. And the actual jokes included such great lines as "Morning Would...be mad" and "Performance Enhancing Sug(gestion)s" so yeah.

Story-wise it was about as generic as you could get with a Simps story - Homer takes up new job, Homer almost does something that might go against Lisa's moral objections, Homer ends up not doing it cause he's a good dad, ok let's set up Homer Live now. And the treehouse subplot was uh...Bart does a bad thing and then apologizes for it? Seems like the writers phoned it in while waiting for the viewers to PHONE IN for Homer Live (haha see what I did there I'm an improv master)

Homer Live went about as well as such a gimmick could, I guess. All the generic cameos appeared right on time - makes me wonder if the lousy Lisa/Bart/Maggie cameos from that Youtube "announcement" where Homer and Marge said they wouldn't divorce were sorta done as practice for these. I suppose Homer's mouth movements looked fluid enough (compared to other live animation currently on such as Colbert Late Show's Cartoon Donald Trump, whose mouth just flaps open), though they were certainly jarring after an ep of normal animation. Poor Dan did as good as he could with the questions he got, I guess. Dunno why all of Dan's monologue before and after the questions was the same on both feeds though - doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of making it live?

Horrendously unfunny for an ep about comedy with a fairly lame Homer Live bit. uh 2 on the poll seems generous enough.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I feel like once again I'm the only one who liked it. Sure, there wasn't as much conflict with Homer going against Lisa, but I kinda felt like that was a bit more fresh since Homer usually has more temptations to cheat.

I didn't really care we didn't see the fate of Bart's treehouse, because even though it was a Homer-written speech, it was nice to see Bart apologizing. No Jerkassery here at all.

I also feel like I'm the only one who liked the live part, but then again, sign gags are what I really like about The Simpsons in general. (The episode was chock full of them - loved the ones in the comedy club).

I also loved Lovejoy's talking bible puppet.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1:
    -Homer LIVE phone # caption.
    -THOH’s collection album in treehouse.
    -Weird Homer leaving his body joke. Reminded me of him leaving it in Homer Goes to Prep School, which reminded me of when he did it in Million Dollar Maybe.
    -Liked how the treehouse was actually built well, just broke as the tree grew larger.
    -Power plant scene was solid overall (therapy hounds, step amplifier).

Act 2:
    -Another LIVE caption.
    -Sink/Clock talking to Homer was kinda creepy.
    -Some overacting by Homer while generic improv group does easy, unfunny improv people cheer at (not that different from real improv shows I guess).
    -Preserved treehouse district?
    -Improv not that impressive, but Springfieldians cheer.
    -Marge now angry at Bart for undeveloped plot barely seen.
    -Of course Marge undermines/fucks Homer up.

Act 3:
    -Marge apparently angry all night. Would be nice for this plot to have been developed more so this overwhelming anger made sense, though seeing how easy it is for Marge to get angry these days, I guess that 1 scene of Bart abusing her was enough.
    -Buuuut…Bart makes her breakfast and says sorry, so she loves him again. END PLOT.
    -Also she cries, of course. At least Julie doesn’t crack/gravel her voice like the other 5 times she’s cried this Season.
    -Kumiko cameo, yay.
    -Liked Lovejoy’s puppet and Lisa’s helium voice.
    -So Homer panics, was gonna cheat, but Lisa stops him, but he almost cheats anyway, but Lisa stops him, so he doesn’t cheat, Lisa and Moe are suddenly BOTH shocked in the face, END PLOT.

LIVE Segment:
    -Family breaks 4th wall and introduces Homer LIVE.
    -Homer makes the same joke as the east coast about it being the last episode ever.
    -Homer’s animation is okay I guess. Looks stiff, but for live, it’s acceptable, didn’t see any weird jumps/glitches in between lip movements.
    -The pre animated pop ups placed all around the screen were really annoying though. Gotta shovel as many jokes/cameos as possible, make it INTERESTING.
    -Homer’s answers to the questions were...kind of hard to follow honestly, with all the pauses Dan made between phrases. Not even sure if he actually answered that Patty/Selma question or not.
    -Looking at Don Guy's transcript, jokes seemed okay enough, but with how awkwardly they were read, I couldn't follow them.
    -Again, hard to really fault it too much since it’s live. Dan seemed to be fine enough (only weird line reading I heard was when he said Springfield as Springfood), but combined with live lip movements, live joke writing, and weirdly placed pre-animated stuff around it, it was just an all around awkward mess, and not even in a funny way.

So uh...yeah. Maybe if the 3 minutes of Homer LIVE was spent to develop the treehouse plot/give the Homer plot more of an ending, episode would've felt slightly more whole. Both plots still wouldn't really interest me otherwise. Homer LIVE was underwhelming as well, which I pretty much expected. Maybe if it was slightly more planned out so Dan's line readings weren't as awkward, or if there were actual fuck ups in it to make it "interesting" (something like Homers animation frames just glitching everywhere, or one of the writers in the back being heard off screen). I dunno, it was something different I guess...eh?

Overall: 5/10, or 2/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

The episode was a mess... but I liked it. I really liked some of the sight gags and the characters were fun to watch, besides the live part though this is a pretty forgettable episode though so I'll give it a 7/10. Also I think on the west coast we got a couple good questions and I liked the live segment and Dan did a decent job.
    Season 28 rankings

Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus: 3/10 Friends and Family: 7/10 The Town: 7.5/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVII: 5/10 Dry Hard: 6/10 BFF R.I.P: 6/10 Moefinger: 4/10 Trust But Clarify: 5/10 There Will Be Buds: 8/10 Havana Wild Weekend: 1/10 Dad Behavior: 2/10 The Last Traction Hero: 5.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas: 4.5/10 Pork and Burns: 6/10 The Great Phatsby: 5/10 Fatzcarraldo: 3.5/10 The Cad and the Hat: 3/10 Kamp Krustier: 2.5/10 22 for 30: 8/10 A Father's Watch: 6.5/10 Caper Chase: 1/10

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Here's to at least two more seasons of passable television!

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Platypus

Thread Information