Thread: Rate and Review: The Burns Cage

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate and Review: The Burns Cage

APRIL 3, 2016
    SEASON 27 EPISODE 17
    PREVIOUS R&R
    NEXT R&R

When Smithers is devastated by Burns' lack of affection towards him, Homer makes it his mission to find him a boyfriend. Meanwhile, after Bart orchestrates the removal of the lead in the school's stage production of Casablanca, Milhouse serves as a terrible understudy, which frustrates his co-star, Lisa.

Rate and review after episode airs.
    Last edited by tormented; 04-10-2016 at 09:22 AM. Reason: addin that next R&R

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where's the poll?
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

You literally made that reply like, three minutes after the thread was started. Like why is it necessary to call foul ASAP. Surely you have to know by now that polls don't immediately show up with the thread's creation.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh god no, prepare yourself guys, it's a modern Simps episode about the gays.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy, Telso

Blog Entries

Tonight on the Simpsons- A desperate ploy for ratings.
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Ten-second FOX 25 News promo always comes first!

Interesting abridged version of the intro used here, and that texting couch gag was humorous.

So Janey is now voiced by Tress MacNeille, instead of Pamela Hayden? I'm still surprised Tress hasn't been promoted to being part of the main cast with Dan, Hank, etc.

So is Julio is from Cuba? I guess Hank Azaria must think all gay men come from there, since he voices them with that same Hispanic accent.

Overall, it was a pretty entertaining episode, even if Smithers never actually "came out," so to speak. But I guess it doesn't matter, since a lot of Springfieldians know he is gay (even in "Future-Drama.")
    Last edited by wiley207; 04-03-2016 at 04:36 PM.

dont be a jerk It's an ataeaf Christmas!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I see Janey’s getting lines now. That’s a nice surprise.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

there are at least a dozen other episodes that were closer to smithers announcing his love to burns than this. that isn't even touched upon lmao. not even a ploy for ratings because the actual episode itself focuses on that literally not at all. otherwise a normal modern episode. that casablanca subplot was absolutely Nothing and the ending scene with the two plots meeting was a good example of what's wrong with this show. it turns from the plots intersecting to a wacky moe gag with no relevance, and ends up ripping off homer the boxer's ending. 2/5. oh and please stop using julio. he's a shitty gay stereotype and doesn't deserve to be a recurring character. he's certainly no apu !
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Blog Entries

Once again very disappointed in Simpsons episode. I don't know how to describe it, but it just doesn't have the stuff that makes an episode great. Smithers said it best at the end of this episode when he said something along the lines of "you just keep trying to get what you want but you never get it." We will probably never get another great episode. 1/5

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

-- "Trendy" emoji couch gag.
    -- Not so good song
    * Mr. Burns stepping on Smithers
    End of act 1, really bad. 1/10.
    ** Ralph Wiggum's part
    * "A Hoy-hoy"!
    End of act 2, still really bad. 3/10.
    -- Really dumb, extended release the hounds joke.
    - Dumb overly long Luigi gag
    We find out Springfield's location?
    - Sexist joke
    End of act 3. Cancel this show already.
    This episode was really, really bad.
    I'm indifferent about the plot. It didn't really do anything for me. Julio was annoyingly stereotypical as ever, but a Smithers focused plot was nice. The subplot had no substance. There's a production of Casablanca, Lisa wants Milhouse in it, then it's over. Bo-Ring.
    Even worse, the jokes were GARBAGE. Only a few hit, and the ones that missed were massive. The lame emoji gag, the stupid joke with Luigi, the AWFUL gag with Lindsay Naegle, the list goes on and on. The show also continues to try to recapture it's former glory, recycling classic era gags like Guy Incognito and Homer's "Whoop-woo-woo" noise.
    Also, the song Smithers sang was pretty poor. His voice isn't well suited for Broadway show-tunes.
    Overall, a very poor job. 2/10, 1/5 for the poll.

Blog Entries

Man, the main plot was disjointed, stupid and offensive (maybe not as egregious as, like, Flaming Moe but you can't feature Julio heavily in your progressive gay ep and get away with it). And some of those jokes were just bad, like Grinder being about sandwiches, are you kidding. The Casablanca subplot was just horrible. The entire joke is that the dude is like the character from the movie, wow how astonishingly clever. And that ending, wtf? What was the point of that scene where Marge gives Lisa advice if the whole thing is just gonna be some ass-pull. God, this was a mess. 2/5

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meh. Not as bad as it could've been, but it wasn't great. It wasn't as in-your-face with "Smithers is gay" references as I thought it would be, and it was nice to see some focus on secondary characters. The subplot was decent, I guess. I liked the reveal that it was the other kid disguised as Milhouse, and the ending with Milhouse and Smithers in the bar was nice (and very true). Still, nothing stood out in this episode. 3/5

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    there are at least a dozen other episodes that were closer to smithers announcing his love to burns than this. that isn't even touched upon lmao. not even a ploy for ratings because the actual episode itself focuses on that literally not at all. otherwise a normal modern episode. that casablanca subplot was absolutely Nothing and the ending scene with the two plots meeting was a good example of what's wrong with this show. it turns from the plots intersecting to a wacky moe gag with no relevance, and ends up ripping off homer the boxer's ending. 2/5. oh and please stop using julio. he's a shitty gay stereotype and doesn't deserve to be a recurring character. he's certainly no apu !
    Julio is just Hank Azaria reprising his Agador character.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Nice Brick Joke on the Hulk hands to be used by the piano player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    not even a ploy for ratings because the actual episode itself focuses on that literally not at all.
    Well, Clown in the Dumps was a ploy for ratings without focusing much on the death of Krusty's dad very much. But you are right. I saw news sites hyping up how this would be some "very special episode" talking about smithers' homosexuality, but it didn't acknowledge it any more than the other episodes did. I guess somehow all the characters just know he is gay at this point despite the fact that he never officially "came out" to everyone.

Blog Entries

Also, what was up with the reveal that Milhouse was that other kid? That literally made no sense whatsoever. And that other kid was basically just a copy of some other character from some other episode who I can not remember the name of.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Waffles View Post
    Well, Clown in the Dumps was a ploy for ratings without focusing much on the death of Krusty's dad very much. But you are right. I saw news sites hyping up how this would be some "very special episode" talking about smithers' homosexuality, but it didn't acknowledge it any more than the other episodes did. I guess somehow all the characters just know he is gay at this point despite the fact that he never officially "came out" to everyone.
    Clown in the Dumps (and this) arent ratings ploys, they're normal episodes news sites overblow to high hell and then get mad that thier self imposed hype wasnt satisfied.

Like when news sites seriously reported that Every Man's Dream would have Homer and Marge split forever. Just awful.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

^This. I really try to ignore any of the "hype" around episodes because it always ends up being completely exaggerated and the articles often feel like they're written by people who've never even seen the show.

Blog Entries

Man,, I guess all those sites that made a huge deal about Smithers coming out and hyped it are going to feel really stupid because Smithers never came out at all.

Seriously, this episode was a mess. The random skydiving scene didn't make any sense to me, and there's no emotion or weight behind Smithers getting rejected. He's not even coming out to Burns or anything, Burns just tells Smithers he doesn't care about him, and that's it. Smithers singing was ok, I didn't have any strong feelings about it. Homer having a party full of gay men was fine, and I liked the part where he took over the bar after Julio left. Smithers and Julio hooking up seemed kind of random, but I did like the montage of them in love. The two going to Cuba was really random and didn't last over a minute, making it pretty pointless. I can't remember if Julio went back to Springfield with Smithers or if he stayed in Cuba either. Lindsay taking over as Burns assistant was fine, but I felt like it could have gone longer, or having more scenes where Burns gets assistants that are bad or react in a sane way to his usual stuff. I did like the scene with Burns lawyers, mostly because we got see more then just the Blue-Haired Lawyer. The scene where Smithers comes back to Burns also felt like it was missing emotion and weight behind it too, especially since Burns gives a really half-assed apology that Smithers accepts, but it's pretty obvious that Burns only wants Smithers back he's good at his job, so why does this work at all? Then they hug and it's over (Burns yelling at them to turn off the music was kind of funny though).

The subplot started out ok, but got worst. Jenny had the most screentime she's had in a long time, but I think they changed her name to Jaqueline or something. The random kid that shows up (I can't remember his name...I think it was Jack?) was extremely bland and had nothing except a funny voice. Comic Book Guy in a Hello Kitty Suit was a decent joke. I actually really like that Bart helped Milhouse out by getting rid of the random kid, since it looked like he was doing it because he actually wanted to help Milhouse out. Lisa complaining about how much Milhouse sucks at acting was bad and Marge's advice didn't really make any sense...why didn't Lisa just tell Milhouse that he wasn't good at acting and try to help him improve our give him lessons instead of just giving him false encouragement? Milhouse turning out to be the random kid in disguise came out of nowhere, was a completely stupid way to end the subplot, and made no sense at all, especially since nothing was explained at all (When did random kid disguise himself as Milhouse? What happened to the real Milhouse? Did Milhouse agree to this or not?). Then Lisa goes with him get soda and is into him because... he has a cool voice? Whatever, the subplot ends there. What a waste of time.

The ending was really poorly done. Milhouse just heads to Moe's bar (I guess Milhouse was fine after all or he escaped from wherever random kid put him) and meets Smithers, who is drinking because he's depressed for reasons I'm not entirely sure off...is it because he broke up with Julio, or because he knows Burns will never really appreciate him? It wasn't clear to me. Then they both drink and share their experiences with love, which was a nice scene, even if I have no idea why Smithers would know who Milhouse is, but it's ruined by a random joke ending where Moe goes out to get treasure or something. Speaking of which, all the jokes in this episode was really hit or miss. Some of them, like the Simpsons titles being in the clouds, "Will you marry Moe", and Julio showing Smithers the map were good, but others like Marge having Homer download Grindr because she doesn't know it's an app for gay people to meet (also,I think Family Guy already did a joke about Grindr before this episode), Moe going out to get treasure, and Marge giving Homer fake encouragement were pretty bad. There was also a weird moment where some a guy with a beard showing up at Moe's when Homer is griping about Smithers...who was he? Or was he supposed to be part of a joke?

George Takei was absolutely wasted. He only got three lines in the whole episode and didn't really do anything. I will admit that I thought him complaining about William Shatner was hilarious and the funniest joke in the episode. They also missed an obvious joke by having him meet Akira (and having him voiced by Takei again) and the two complementing on each other's voices.

Overall, this episode was really disappointing and was missing a lot of emotion that it really needed to make the story work. I give it a 2/5, I was going to be nice and give it a 3, but I changed my mind because of how all the plots had terrible endings, but I didn't give it a 1 because I really thought Takei's line about how much he hates Shatner was hilarious and I liked a couple of other jokes in here too.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 04-03-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smear-Gel View Post
    Clown in the Dumps (and this) arent ratings ploys, they're normal episodes news sites overblow to high hell and then get mad that thier self imposed hype wasnt satisfied.

Like when news sites seriously reported that Every Man's Dream would have Homer and Marge split forever. Just awful.
    So much this! Simply a tactic for the media to gain attention.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but these reactions don't look promising.
    Season 28 rankings

Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus: 3/10 Friends and Family: 7/10 The Town: 7.5/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVII: 5/10 Dry Hard: 6/10 BFF R.I.P: 6/10 Moefinger: 4/10 Trust But Clarify: 5/10 There Will Be Buds: 8/10 Havana Wild Weekend: 1/10 Dad Behavior: 2/10 The Last Traction Hero: 5.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas: 4.5/10 Pork and Burns: 6/10 The Great Phatsby: 5/10 Fatzcarraldo: 3.5/10 The Cad and the Hat: 3/10 Kamp Krustier: 2.5/10 22 for 30: 8/10 A Father's Watch: 6.5/10 Caper Chase: 1/10

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Here's to at least two more seasons of passable television!

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I wonder how many different blackboards they had ready

The "Created By" and "Developed By" credits aren't in the normal "Groening font" - when was the last time this happened?

Is this the first time the nuclear plant crow has appeared on the air (other than in the show's opening)?

How does someone with the first name Jacqueline get the nickname "Janey"? And the only other time her last name was mentioned in an episode (in "My Fair Laddy"), it was Henderson.

Milhouse had no problem acting in The Radioactive Man Movie. Then again, with movies, you get retakes.

Milhouse's comment about General DeGaulle is a known problem with the movie Casablanca. One theory is, he is supposed to say General Weygand, who collaborated with the Nazis after France fell in 1940.

"This week, Springfield is in..." Colorado, or possibly Kansas, based on the map to Havana.

If you're wondering what the "Castro District" is, it's the part of San Francisco most known for homosexuals. No, I did not just describe the entire city. No, I did not just describe the entire city except for Chinatown, either.

LYRICS - "Waiting for You"
    Music by Alf Clausen; Lyrics by Rob LaZebnik

I've lived half of my life living half of a life
    Waiting for U-234
    Can't you see the fire burning in my core?
    Is there a half-life for hope?
    I know the answer is, nope
    I've failed at my mission
    No fusion; just fission
    And now I'm here wishin' to be decommissioned
    Have you ever felt down
    Much worse than a meltdown
    My heart is covered in...Burns

Blog Entries

weren't the created/developed by credits from my fare lady in pixel?

dont be a jerk It's an ataeaf Christmas!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    How does someone with the first name Jacqueline get the nickname "Janey"? And the only other time her last name was mentioned in an episode (in "My Fair Laddy"), it was Henderson.
    Where did say say she was Jacqueline.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ataeaf View Post
    Where did say say she was Jacqueline.
    Chalmers call her Jacqueline when she auditions for the Casablanca play.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This episode was a mess. There was no development to Smithers' and Julio's relationship and they didn't have very good chemistry. And while it's certainly possible they are each other's type, it's pretty obvious the writers just picked the two most well-known gay male characters and paired them up without any regard for how compatible they would actually be (I suppose they could have been compatible, but I sure wasn't convinced they were). I'm sure coming up with a new love interest for Smithers wouldn't have generated anything more compelling or a character with more depth than Julio, but at least it would have shown slightly more effort and hopefully not reduced his love interest to a gay stereotype. Furthermore, Smithers seemed to be all over the place with his emotions; one second, he was having fun, and the next second, he was thinking too much about Mr. Burns to enjoy himself even though Mr. Burns made him miserable. Also, the whole trip to Cuba was completely pointless (and I guess they're going to Cuba again later? Maybe that is the follow-up episode to this one). The subplot was dumb. 2/10

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All right! I finally get to discuss a new episode on NoHomers.net !

This episode had a lot of potential going for it, but I agree. It all ended up wasted because there could have been more weight to this. I actually did buy Smithers leaving Burns because he finally got that he wasn't going to return his affections. The only other times I can think of that Smithers turned against Burns were in "Sideshow Bob Roberts" (and does that even really count? Burns wasn't really mentioned) and the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" episodes, and even then, it's not because he felt like he was being taken advantage of. Nice to see him finally get that.

I had actually been waiting for Smithers to get with Julio, but there really should have been more weight behind their fling (I did like the map gag though). Still, there was a bit more weight for Smithers returning to Burns than, say, Ned giving the Simpsons their house back in "No Loan Again, Naturally" because Smithers at least explained he likes the thrill of the chase (and Burns was willing to give Smithers a lot of money for it).

My only real gripes with this episode is that they could have developed Smithers and Julio's relationship a bit more and that the end of the Casablanca subplot made no sense with Milhouse being the other guy in disguise. Those dots really should have been connected a bit more. Janey's full name being "Jacqueline" didn't bother me because a lot of people have nicknames like that, especially in elementary school (at least when I was there they did).

I rate it a 3.75/5

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

https://youtu.be/JyuYSaUp-2EI live In Punta Gorda Florida and at the part of the episode when Smithers was asked by his boyfriend what he ever saw in Mr. Burns and then had that memory or fantasy of him and Mr, Burns in a plane, right at that point my cable feed went out and It was out the rest of the night and I was really looking forward to Bobs Burgers as well I watched the part of the Simpsons I was able to see with my 8 year old nephew, My sister, and my dad and we all absolutely loved it, really epic!!!!!!!! We all really loved the Smithers gay plot even if my nephew probably didn't get all the Jokes, and being that me and my dad who my dad was born in 1954 and we both love CASABLANCA we loved the Casablanca part of the episode!!!!!!!! I would give this episode a 10 out of a 10 and felt this could have fit in most seasons even the classic seasons and I am not even exaggerating !!!!

oh and one more thing me and my dad are TOS Trek fans and really liked the Takei cameo, I would really recommend the Takei Documentary my aunt who is gay recommended the Takei Documentary she told me and my dad we could get it on Netflix so we watched and we loved it!

https://youtu.be/JyuYSaUp-2E George Takei Documentary Trailer !
    Last edited by ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ; 04-03-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Eh, I just decided to watch it cause the hype surrounding the episode and because the plot seemed interesting enough.

Mr Smithers falls in love with Julio like in 6 seconds, and I guess with Julio because why the fuck not.
    That first scene when they pass through "The Simpsons" logo in the clouds. Wtf.
    Can't believe I got to the point I thought I was watching Family Guy instead of "The Simpsons". Even episodes from Season 25 felt more authentic than this.
    Things just, happen because. They don't have to make sense. Horribly cheap throwaway gags.
    But god, I dare to say Family Guy can make more coherent plots than this.

I'd give this episode 0.5/10 if I could. Only 0.5 because I did laugh at a couple of gags, but the main plot was horribly forced and brainless. The subplots were just forgettable and boring.
    I officially give up. Kill this show already.

Quote Originally Posted by oddMLan View Post
    Mr Smithers falls in love with Julio like in 6 seconds, and I guess with Julio because why the fuck not.
    That first scene when they pass through "The Simpsons" logo in the clouds. Wtf.
    Can't believe I got to the point I thought I was watching Family Guy instead of "The Simpsons". Even episodes from Season 25 felt more authentic than this.
    Things just, happen because. They don't have to make sense. Horribly cheap throwaway gags.
    But god, I dare to say Family Guy can make more coherent plots than this.

I'd give this episode 0.5/10 if I could. Only 0.5 because I did laugh at a couple of gags, but the main plot was horribly forced and brainless. The subplots were just forgettable and boring.
    I officially give up. Kill this show already.
    My thoughts exactly. Only that I didn't even smile during the whole episode.

Actually I feel depressed after watching this. That quite an achievement, you know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Pepper View Post
    Also, the whole trip to Cuba was completely pointless (and I guess they're going to Cuba again later? Maybe that is the follow-up episode to this one). The subplot was dumb. 2/10
    No, the Happy Fun Adventure in Havana is for next season, the next episode is a wacky, down-to-earth story about Marge & Lisa.

As for this episode, man, that was just bad.

Thread Information