View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 – I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

5 8.06%
  • 4/5 – These drugs will make the operation seem like a beautiful dream.

16 25.81%
  • 3/5 – Astronauts and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine.

23 37.10%
  • 2/5 – No insurance plan in this state covers something as frivolous as Dimoxinil.

10 16.13%
  • 1/5 – Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds.

8 12.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R: “Gal of Constant Sorrow” (VABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

dont be a jerk It's an ataeaf Christmas!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

R&R: “Gal of Constant Sorrow” (VABF06)

FEBRUARY 21, 2016
    SEASON 27 EPISODE 14
    PREVIOUS R&R
    NEXT R&R

After Bart accidentally sends a sweet homeless woman’s cart into the river, he allows her to live in his closet for a small fee. When Lisa discovers that the woman is an incredible folk singer, she offers her own closet and plans a concert, only to be disappointed by Hettie’s surprising substance abuse and violent nature. Meanwhile Homer tries to prove he’s handy, but accidentally traps the cat in the walls of the house.

Rate and review after episode airs.
    Last edited by It's an ataeaf Christmas!; 03-06-2016 at 04:27 PM.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Ten-second FOX News promo always comes first!
    Literally, I count to ten during the promo, and then at ten, the show begins!

So it goes from one week in February looking like spring, to the next week being all snowy, like February is where I live...
    The loud music dubbing out Homer's cursing was hilarious!

Now why am I not surprised Hettie is voiced by a guest star? And when they showed that third grade teacher, she once again had that same stock voice Tress MacNeille gives all her incidental/background females these days. (Still waiting to see a scene with two of them together talking in that same voice, and lampshading it!)

Now comes the other FOX News promo where the weather part is a bit shorter!

I like how Lisa was playing one of her old sax solo from the Simpsons intro at the concert.
    Nice joke from Hettie about their couch gags, too.
    I also enjoyed Hettie's closing song as well.
    Last edited by wiley207; 02-21-2016 at 05:31 PM.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

--- TERRIBLE handy man joke.
    -- Pretty bad swiping joke.
    ** Homer cursing joke.
    * Cat in walls.
    --- Terrible musical montage.
    ** Homer getting hit by refrigerator.
    - Not really too good song.
    Closing Thoughts: 2/10.
    * Slide puzzle joke.
    * Shot in the face joke.
    -- More bad music.
    * Mrs Ortener.
    -- Lame "get out" joke.
    * IRA Ass.
    Closing Thoughts:
    Still poor. 5/10.
    --- Worst song of the lot.
    What a terrible episode.
    The plot was alright, I guess.
    Too bad that's really all that could be said about the episode.
    The jokes were TERRIBLE! So many jokes made me cringe. The "handy man" joke, the swiping joke, the "get out" joke, the Appalachian Musicians list gag, the drunken talking... the list goes on and on. It had a few chuckle-worthy moments, but nothing was really that special. Really terrible on the humor side.
    Not only that, but the songs were garbage! The first one wasn't really too bad, but the others were garbage. The "Barnes And Noble" song was just ridiculous, boring folk music, the closing credits song was more bland folk, and the terrible song at the concert was a ridiculously failed attempt at emotion.
    Overall, a really bad episode. 2/10, 1/5 for the poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

WHERE'S MAH DOLLAH!?

Eh... I don't have much to say on this episode. It wasn't too bad but to be honest there weren't a lot of great gags in this one. The main plot with Hettie was a little sweet, but the whole thing kinda felt rushed towards the end (especially how easily she and Lisa made up, which sorta makes it a weak emotional moment), not to mention while I like her singing the actual songs felt like ones you'd hear off a Youtube parody (like the Barnes and Noble one), The subplot with Homer getting the pets from behind the wall I thought was more interesting but they didn't spend too much time with it, it had some funny moments like the step ladder and Homer getting Snowball from the wall. Overall a decent episode, but it could've been better.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Average episode. I thought the subplot with Homer trying to be a handyman was a lot more interesting than the main plot, which was a lot like The Lastest Gun in the West in that a performer came to live with the Simpsons and is later learned to have a crippling habit. There were a few good jokes throughout the episode, like Lisa's couch-gag line, and the handyman plot was fairly entertaining. I don't think the resolution worked very well, though. At least put some substance in there. The way it went, Lisa was mad, then Hettie sang a song, then all was forgiven. That's just lazy. Still, the subplot was good and Hettie grew on me, even though she was by no means a memorable character. 3/5 in all.

The main plot seemed like it took a long time to start. Part of me also thought that Lisa's relationship with Hettie which started halfway through seemed forced. I didn't find Hettie's songs that great. Only good part of main plot was the Bart montage in the beginning. Subplot was more entertaining. I wish they spent more time with it. Also, almost only the simpsons or Hettie spoke the whole time besides a throwaway line, from Milhouse, Moe and Disco Stu at the end, Largo for twenty seconds, Sherri and Terri saying twins, plus a ha-ha from Nelson. 3/5

Another good episode.. worth watching again.. Like Homer crushing bart with his butt instead of just chocking him. The family cat finally got a mini stay on the stories plot,, it wasnt much but double what I deserve,, so i'll take it.
    I give rating numbers based on the number of times I want to rewatch any episode.. I'll watch this 5 more times, so I give it 5/5

Blog Entries

I chuckled at the Mr. Sparkle sky gag and the football couch gag at the beginning, although it was a just two weeks a little too late for Super Bowl 50.

Anyways, I laughed at some funny parts, including the "paperweight" gag, and the entire Homer "repairman" job while trying to find Snowball II in the walls, floor, and ceiling (and then Santa's Little Helper), although it felt a bit rushed (I do like the "Garfield" reference when Homer feeds Snowball II lasagna). And the Hettie Mae Boggs relationship with Bart and then Lisa is pretty good, although a bit rushed also. But I do like the way she sings the cart song (in her best, and youngest, Dixie Chick Natalie Maines voice, and I applaud her for that), along with the "take that" song at Barnes & Noble (I "awww'ed" when Snowball II was listening to it inside the bedroom floor). And when Lisa's relationship was strained, ending with the crowds' departure on Hettie not coming to the stage (because to my discovery she was a heroin addict who shot her own parents in the face and made them blind, which makes me sad a bit), when Lisa mistrusts her at her finally coming to the empty stage, she sang a beautiful sad Dixie Chick song which caught the attention of only the janitor and the NPR radio host, and even melts Lisa's heart. Awwww! And the "Springfield" song Hettie sang at the end credits, with Krusty, Moe, Sideshow Mel and the others listening in (before returning to Moe's tavern via secret passage) was very pretty. Oh, and guess what else I saw? When Bart writes graffiti over Hettie's promo poster... there was Sideshow Bob (in his usual Kelsey Grammer grunt, no less!) wiping off the graffiti with Snake Jailbird! What a surprise.

Overall, this looks so pretty good, although a bit rushed. I give "Gal of Constant Sorrow" 8.5 out of 10.
    Last edited by angeldeb82; 02-22-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1:

-Random Mr. Sparkle box in intro.
    -Couch gag meh, but decent length.
    -Homer tries to kill Bart with his ass, great.
    -Homer cursing over loud music kinda funny.
    -How did the cat fit through that small hole?
    -Handyman joke oversaid.
    -Not crazy cat lady apparently the new character for this week.
    -Montage ($1 a week goes a long way apparently).
    -New character sings over random 1800's montage. Like her voice and lyrics are okay, but could've been shorter.

Act 2:
    -New character, like most new guest star characters, doesn't really have a personality or depth to care about.
    -*BGM stares from the great beyond as a laptop screensaver at this bore of an ep*
    -Another song apparently.
    -Largo appearance, nice.
    -Transgender Ken.
    -"I'm not your brain, I'm a blood clot."
    -New character turns out to be on heroin and maybe shot her parents, but Lisa vows to change her and what not, so enthralling.

Act 3:
    -Homer talks in drunk.
    -She sings ANOTHER fairly long song with weird lyrics, and makes everything better again apparently.
    -Couch gag ref.
    -Barney sober again.
    -Kelsey Grammar making a grunting noise apparently is enough to warrant a guest star credit.

So...yeah. New character was boring, plot reminded me of previous other episodes with a guest star living at the Simps (Latest Gun in the West mostly), and just didn't have anything of interest. Homer plot was okay though, could've more/better jokes, but I was fine with it. Uh...pfft, yeah.

Overall: 5/10, or 2/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

Homer calls Marge "Marjorie".

Homer calls AC electricity "Edison's Miracle," but it was Tesla and Westinghouse who were mainly responsible for AC while Edison backed DC.

Homer has a $35 stethoscope.

At the 98-cent store, Bart buys two stamps; where's the profit margin?

Lisa has one of Bart's tests, with a D-minus on it, on her mirror.

Either Hettie Mae is very good with a pick, or whoever is playing the guitar is using their fingers

Howlin' Sue has a tail.

NPR's shows include Left, Left, Left and Middle, and Pledge Time with Semi-Celebs.

LYRICS - "The House Next Door to Flanders"
    There is no specific songwriting credit, so I am assuming lyrics are by Carolyn Omine and music by Alf Clausen

In the house next door to Flanders
    There's a devil boy named Bart
    Fatso lost his catso
    And the girl has a great big heart
    The curtains all have corn cobs
    There's a sailboat on the wall
    There's a Selma and a Patty
    And a grampa who is batty
    Apu and a Squishee
    A three-eyed fishy
    And they ain't aware
    That I took the silverware
    From the house next door to Flanders

In the house next door to Flanders
    Mom's hair just scrapes the sky
    The baby don't say nothin'
    And no one wonders why

Blog Entries

good review, @1010011010!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Everything relating to the subplot was fantastic. . Everything there worked. Cat listening to the singing in Lisa's floors, Homer in the walls, Handy.......man jokes, Homer and Marge acting cute and romantic, just, 10/10 on that front.

The main plot was fine. both of them acting like kids. Bart caring for Lisa. Good banter between them.

Lisa kinda acted selfish, only liking her because she could play music, and caring about her because she wanted a role model. I didnt think it was out of character selfishness though, so it gets a pass.

Another fridge falls on Homer joke in a short time (happened in The Girl Code). But it made me laugh like last time so I also give it a pass.

Missed a few jokes due to loud noise while the episode was airing. The songs needed to be there plot wise so I didnt even care if I liked them or not. Ignored the lyrics but the vocal quality was quite good.

I give this a 9/10. 4/5 in the poll because using a 5 point system instead of a 10 point one is annoying.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Blog Entries

Thank you @handsome_devil

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

It was okay I guess, the songs were decent but not too memorable, the Homer plot was actually a lot more interesting. Also, the resolution with Lisa and Hattie renconciling felt rushed and undeserved. 3/5

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

The underlying flaw of this episode was that it tried to softball a serious character backstory with kid gloves. We'll make this Dixie chick a heroin addict that murdered her parents and we'll execute this by having her get drunk off Spuckler moonshine and shirk her concert date that she barely seemed invested in having in the first place. She sings a song to make us pity her and then heads into rehab. Talk about your hackneyed resolutions.

Which is a real shame because both the characterizations and voice direction were solid. I think it's clear that Carolyn Omine deserves credit here for getting great performances out of the talent.

And Matthew Nastuk's exceptional direction was once again wasted on a trite, flawed episode with a bad ending. He definitely deserves better. He's the most talented animation director in the regular rotation right now and I don't think it's even up for debate at this point.
    SEASON 29 RANKINGS
    The Serfsons - 2/5 / Springfield Splendor - 4/5 / Whistler's Father - 1.5/5
    THOH XXVIII = The Sweets Hereafter - 3.5/5 / The Exor-Sis - 3/5 / Coralisa - 4.5/5 / MMM... HOMER - 2/5
    Grampy Can Ya Hear Me - 2/5 / The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be - 1.5/5
    Singin' in the Lane - 1/5

Homer and the cat was probably among the most entertaining subplots that the show has done in a while. The main plot was just okay. I always like to see interactions between Bart and Lisa as those two are my favorite characters, so the episode at least had that in it for me to enjoy.

Blog Entries

7/10. An ok episode. Not sure if I'd watch it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Act 3:
    -Homer talks in drunk.
    -She sings ANOTHER fairly long song with weird lyrics, and makes everything better again apparently.
    -Couch gag ref.
    -Barney sober again.
    -Kelsey Grammar making a grunting noise apparently is enough to warrant a guest star credit.
    I think that Kelsey Grammer as Sideshow Bob is supposed to be in Act II, not Act III.

Blog Entries

This episode describes what an average HD episode looks like, it had: Two plots which aren't even connected, a quest star voicing a one-time character, a song or two, jokes hardly landing most of the time, and a plot thats not anything special and even feels rehashed. There are a couple of things I liked, one thing is that the subplot was a lot funnier then the main plot. The couch gag felt decent, the Mr Sparkle box returning felt completely random but the football gag had its moment.

The first act is probably the most enjoyable one, even the whole handy-man joke with Marge felt silly enough that it could've been a decent classic gag. Yet they had to shove a gag with Homer trampling Bart with his butt, with Marge not caring at all by which she should've been used to their relationship anyway. Lisa explaining the iPad to Homer was pretty fun, some funny mumbling atleast. And Homer cursing trough loud music was a solid gag.

I kind of liked how they introduced the new character with Bart accidently destroying her belongings, with the kids just playing on a normal day. It somewhat(?) felt in character for Bart to take advantage of the womans generousity. It took me till the middle of the following montage that Bart pretends too be very rich with only very few dollars. I'm not a fan of Hettie's talking voice, but her singing parts were pretty good. Lisa managed to have a better relationship with her then Bart, but then the 3rd act came where apparently she's a heroine addict and easily abandoned Lisa. I liked how Bart found it so predictable and rubbing it in her face. The scene at Cletus wasn't as bad as I thought considering the kind of humor they like to use with the hillbillies, the interaction between Homer and Hettie was pretty funny. The ending is pretty sweet for what it is, also some funny stuff during the credits.

Then the subplot, which I found funnier, did a solid job using Homer's stupidty for some humor for once. I liked the romance Marge used for Homer, thinking he's actually a handyman. Its also good to see the Simpsons pets being used for a bigger role for once, especially Snowball II. The funniest part was probably Homer getting Snowball out of the wall, going trough some obstacles (where he apparently can get trough a tube). While the subplot isn't connected to the main plot, it managed to be an extra funny plot to take a break of the little more serious main plot.

As I said, its an average episode. Its kinda low on humor but it had a few moments. Not a huge fan of Hettie and her voice actor, some great singing though. The Simpson family had some solid characterisation, and both plots were onnly decent.

3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeldeb82 View Post
    I think that Kelsey Grammer as Sideshow Bob is supposed to be in Act II, not Act III.

His credit as Sideshow Bob is shown at the end though, pointing that out more than the single grunt he made in Act 2.

Blog Entries

mediocre. lol'd at Ira Glass more like ASS, and that "loud music while you swear" gag wasn't bad either. kate mackinnon sounded really obnoxious as the guest star. seemed like too much of a Wacky Voice, for lack of a better term. and i agree that resolution was incredibly flimsy. rare that i go "wait what?" when the EP credits fade in but this was definitely one of those times

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

Well, I can say that The A.V. Club gave the episode a B+ because of Natalie Maines and other jokes here.
    http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/bart-an...eet-sil-232600

Eh, not great plot, some funny jokes, very poor execution. 2/5. And I am usually very flexible with modern simpsons.

However, did like the subplot of the cat in the walls.

Blog Entries

solid ep. Handy man joke was cringe as hell and Marge's voice fills me with sorrow. Other than that I loved it 4/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I sort of liked it because it had good ambitions, but the execution was too shallow. Maybe if Lurleen came back and teamed up with Hettie and Lisa, that could've made an interesting music combo.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: apolo

Blog Entries

the mention of heroin addiction was pretty dark, not something i remember hearing on the simpsons

Blog Entries

oops I kinda actually liked this one. I think it managed to avoid a lot of the cliches typical of new Simpsons - both plots are well underway as soon as the ep begins (which especially helps with the one-time character because even if a lot of it was stereotypical hobo and/or drug addict jokes, at least it got pretty close to real character development). The two worst parts of Hettie's character for me were her sudden change to drug addict halfway through the episode (like, could you BE any more expository by having her on a radio show going "oh yeah I'm a drug addict I let my supporters down") and the jarring difference between her regular voice and her singing voice. Most of the voices were actually pretty solid this week too, but that discrepancy really hurt.

It doesn't make a lot of sense in hindsight but I thought the ending was a nice moment. It manages to avoid the cheesy ending from Lisa with an S where they perform and the crowd goes wild and everything is good. It's a pretty sudden ending, but the idea that she performed just for Lisa to gain her acceptance wasn't all bad.

I think the episode excels most in the subplot though - just a neat cartoony story without any extraneous sentiment or meaning to bog it down. It's pretty amazing that the whole subplot managed to be contained within the Simpson house, which isn't something we see nowadays (I mean, the main plot straight-up had a HOLLYWOOD BOWL in Springfield for no reason). I didn't like that they had to tie it in with the main plot with Marge saying something at the end about how she had been fixing things all along, but other than that it was just good fun.

Not really a standout ep for humor - the background gag with the medics in unicycles carrying off the boardwalk performer was probably my favorite gag of the night, even if it was kinda obvious. Not really a huge fan of the folk songs either but they served their purpose in the episode so I can't complain.

In hindsight, it's probably another forgettable season 27 ep, but I think I enjoyed watching it more than a lot of other "regular" eps this season. Generous 4/5 I guess.

Things I liked:

-The opening gag about "handyman" vs. "handy man" was vaguely a linguistics joke. I have to give them props for that.
    -"Loud music so you can curse" made me laugh--reminded me of Homer's "loudest profanity ever".
    -Natalie Maines has a wonderful voice and she was a good choice for the singing voice, even if it seemed a little silly compared to Hettie's speaking voice.
    -The Appalachian band list gag was actually alright.
    -"Reserved for LGBT Dolls"
    -The posters making fun of NPR in the studio were pretty funny to me, as an avid listener of NPR ("Gross Air with Terry Fresh") lol
    -"Cletus Country" - Homer and Hettie speaking drunk was pretty funny in how ridiculous it was.
    -Meta-reference to couch gags (the second of which this season) was a little plus. In general I have complained about the increase in meta-jokes, but if they're actually funny I don't have a problem.
    -I really liked the final song at the rehab center. "House Next Door to Flanders" better appear on a Simpsons soundtrack.

Things I didn't like:

-Kate McKinnon's speaking voice for Hettie was hard to understand and a little annoying sometimes.
    -The use of "Started from the Bottom" was cringeworthy. Would've been even if I didn't hate the song, but I do hate it. A lot. Will be muting that part of the episode upon re-watch.
    -Hettie turning into a drug addict came out of nowhere (one of the things I didn't care for about "Lastest Gun"). Overall that little twist to the plot seemed to only exist to end the story and it really didn't make an impact.

Overall this was a pretty decent episode. I definitely enjoyed the cute subplot with Homer and the cat--I like seeing more of the cat, as well as a subplot that doesn't try to do too much (which it really didn't). The main plot was alright, but I didn't care for the way the main "conflict" of it was introduced so late and resolved so late. I couldn't care about it, in other words. I knew there had to be a "conflict" sooner or later, but mostly I just enjoyed the bits before it (the scene with Mr. Largo, the NPR stuff, Hettie and Lisa together in the house, etc.) Once the "drug problems" were introduced, it became predictable and I sort of lost interest. But that was so late in the episode that it didn't affect my opinion of the rest of the episode, which was pretty good.

4/5 for the poll

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I thought this episode had a great concept, but it was predictably lacking in the execution. The voice acting for Hettie wasn't very good, and her singing voice sounded nothing like her speaking voice, which was distracting even though I did like the songs (except for that god-awful rap song). They just should have had Natalie Maines voice her speaking voice as well (it's not like Kate McKinnon did a very good job. I mean, she was okay, but not great). As for more fundamental flaws, the radio interview was a poor way to reveal that Hettie was going to betray Lisa, and it detracted from the emotion. On the other hand, the emotion was generally good aside from that, Lisa's relationship with Hettie was actually believable (since they did have something in common to bond over), and Lisa was in character for the most part. It would have been nice to see more consequences of Lisa hiding an evidently dangerous heroin addict in her room though, and I would have liked Hettie's addiction to be treated with more gravity than it was. There was potential there for something impactful, if only they would be willing to go there and resist the temptation to insert bad jokes everywhere. In summary, this episode could have been a lot better than it was. It was relatively good for an HD episode, but still an 'F' overall. 4.5/10

Thread Information