Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 – Professor Frink, Professor Frink

5 9.09%
  • 4/5 – He’ll make you laugh

15 27.27%
  • 3/5 – He’ll make you think

21 38.18%
  • 2/5 – He likes to run and then the thing with the... person.

9 16.36%
  • 1/5 – Ah, boy, that monkey’s gonna pay...

5 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4 (VABF07)

FEBRUARY 14, 2016 (VALENTINE’S DAY)
    SEASON 27 EPISODE 13
    PREVIOUS R&R
    NEXT R&R

Lonely Professor Frink uses science to turn himself into a man whom women find attractive. Then, overwhelmed by the attention, he invents an algorithm to perfectly pair the lonely men and women of Springfield, realizing that scientific exploration is his true love. Meanwhile, Marge, Bart, and Lisa visit Grampa for Valentine’s Day and try to rescue the old folks from a drug-induced hallucination that allows them to relive their happiest memories.

Rate and review after episode airs.
    Last edited by ataeaf; 02-21-2016 at 08:22 AM.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Ten-second FOX News promo comes first!
    Been a while since we've had an episode this season using the extended Flash-animated HD intro!

I wish our winters in Brockton, MA were more like the winters in Springfield, where we only get snow in December until either the middle or the end of January, and by Valentine's Day, it looks like spring, instead of it being the other way around (warmth and no snow in December, and lots of snow and cold in Valentine's Day.) So I know their Springfield is definitely NOT in Massachusetts.

I liked the Star Trek sound effect when Professor Frink revealed that woman was an android he built.
    Wow, LOTS of incidental females voiced by Pamela Hayden and Tress MacNeille, even if that nurse at the Retirement Center had the same voice pretty much every incidental women voiced by Tress has. (I wonder if they'll do like what Family Guy did, with two women with that same voice talking with each other and lampshading it?)

So far I'm liking Professor Frink's voice-changer bit, and I thought it was funny when Marge Simpson wound up using one by accident.

Pretty interesting plot, but it wasn't very funny. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5.
    Last edited by wiley207; 02-14-2016 at 05:30 PM.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice to see the full intro for once!
    ** Face-hardener.
    * Baby hearts
    * Person inside reactor core.
    *** Butt-ointment.
    ** Jasper's beard.
    End of act 1, good. 7.5/10.
    ** Old man dies from cat.
    * Marge's voice.
    End of act 2, terrible. 2/10.
    ** Mechanical sigh.
    End of act 3. Abysmal. 1/10.
    Overall, a very poor episode.
    The plot was good, however. It was nice to see Frink get a role for once, and the stories of the A plot and B plot were good. (The B plot had no resolution though)
    The jokes bombed, however. The first act had great humor, but the second and third acts had only a combined three funny jokes.
    Overall, pretty weak. 4/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

Decent enough. The plot was interesting and enough of the jokes worked. 3.5/5

Awesome Valentines Day episode.. Liked the opening couch scene with all the camels .. Abe's hallucinations were the best ..5/5

Blog Entries

I liked it! Was very pleasantly surprised, many of the jokes came across as old simps. The plot was not too outlandish, and the couch gag was good too! Only part I didn't like was the joke with the pencil in the hair and the flashback scenes.
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Blog Entries

not really a good episode, but i thought the exposition joke between homer and marge was cute.

WHERE'S MAH DOLLAH!?

I have to admit this was a pretty sweet episode, both the main plot with Frink and the subplot at the Retirement Castle. There was a lot of good jokes (Homer and Marge gettin' jiggy with it in Burns' office, the hallucinations, and Frink's android's mother at the end), and the conflict in both was pretty good though I thought they didn't spend a lot of time on the main plot. The subplot did seem a little bit more interesting, but overall it was a good episode.

Blog Entries

colored pupils in the simpsons looks weird af

that's all
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was all right. I liked the Frink plot; it was about time they put a character like him into the spotlight to see what they could do with it, and it worked all right, albeit not exceptionally well. But the subplot was pretty unnecessary and seemed like a way to just shoehorn the Simpson family in there and was a lot like the subplot of Million Dollar Maybe. Otherwise, there isn't much to say. Average episode is average. 3/5.

Blog Entries

oof 10 posts tonight. Might be a new record.

Anyway this was a modern Simps episode if I ever saw one. Frink wants the ladies, gets the ladies, and then has some epiphany about Other Guys Are Lonely Too or something and goes right back to being alone. The plot was actually developed pretty decently but I wish they had spent more time on Frink's change of heart so it didn't feel so sudden. It would have improved that ending scene where Frink stares at the stars, which was nice but not really earned.

The idea for the subplot was kinda there but a lot of it was sloppy. Grampa's change of heart was again pretty sudden, as was the nurse taking the meds away only for the senior folk to promptly find it again. The whole vintage America setting was animated well though. Mona's appearance was sorta wasted on a bunch of throwaway jokes; the same could probably be said for a lot of the main plot too (see: the mechanical girl joke at the very end).

Best joke of the ep was a small visual gag where Bart flips the table over and a jar of lemonade flips up even though it was upside down a minute ago. Neat little background joke, especially considering how much they like to overemphasize background gags now.

3/5 on poll I guess.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1:
    -Full opening nice to see once in a while.
    -Couch gag alright.
    -Mr. Burns has a Homer esque word play dream, k.
    -Obvious Cletus gag is awful.
    -Marge immediately agreeing to have sex on Mr. Burns desk slightly out of character, though I guess she's done worse before, so meh.
    -Frink being rejected harshly, despite a major running gag of his for the last few Seasons being himself the one to ignore very hot women.
    -Hi Glenn Close. Despite your character being dead, it's cool still seeing you appear every few years or so.
    -So uh...what's the plot here again?
    -Frinks reaction to the Hawking movie got a slight chuckle. Otherwise, meh act.

Act 2:
    -Daytona commercial eh?
    -Homer just hanging out with Frink I guess. Reminds me of when he'd just hang around with x character in a Scully ep.
    -Frink's not very interesting of a character, but nice to see a different recurring character get an episode focus for once.
    -So...the chip turns Azarias Jerry Lewis voice into a deeper Kirk voice. K.
    -Really, they're still keeping with that dead couples hallucination gag?
    -And that cat gag comes back, meh.
    -"Yeah, well screw you."
    -"Logarithm!...I mean Larry."
    -Speaking of which, Frink without his glasses does look similar to Larry the Barfly.
    -Like that the chip makes the characters voice actor do a deeper voice.
    -Kookie Kwan twins eh?

Act 3:
    -"Never visit Grandpa."
    -Oh, the hallucinations are the subplot? That...actually might've been a pretty decent plot, with some more focus and work to it.
    -Chuckled at Grandpa turning young Mona's head into Betty Boop.
    -"I like talking to you." Cute Homer/Marge moment, nice rare scene.
    -Frink singing, and ending on a song...then tone completely ruined with shitty joke, gr8t.
    -Water supply is contaminated and makes Springfield hallucinate. Hmm...

Decent enough episode I suppose. Frink isn't that developed of a character, or given development here to warrant a full plot, but it's nice to see them try a different character for once to focus on, and led to a few decent moments. Subplot was weak, though the idea of a new medication making Grandpa hallucinate his past could've worked as a decent ep. Meh, I dunno, okay episode.

Overall: 6/10, or low 3/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

yeah i have nothing to say about this. well, i found it funny how the smoldering sexy voice is basically a deeper version of azaria's stock voice and i liked the joke of the old guy being ecstatic over the hardware store, even if its second showcasing during the dance scene was pretty useless. oh and homer and marge were naked at one point which was pretty pointless but i guess we need to get the viewers to pay attention for maybe a minute.

also RIP David Kavner 1917 - 2016. i guess being a lead simpsons voice actor affords your father a long long life.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

oh yeah the Daytona commercial was a thing

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I was disappointed. I expected a Nutty Professor thing to happen when I read the description of this episode.

Likasa rules! BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I give this episode a 9/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

''in memory of David Kavner'', haven't heard this news but sad to hear. Its a nice gesture to have a memorial of someone who hasn't even done anything to the show, but is a very close relative to one of the main voice actors. RIP

Moving on to the episode, its nice to see the full intro back. Maybe a little less nice to have a pretty long couch gag afterwards, I found it a good one though. The first act is rather good, but it had some awful jokes like the ''children hearths'' and Cletus shooting a Cupido kind of kid out of the sky. The act is somewhat saved with the cute Homer/Marge moments, kinda suprised they've never a scene before where they had sex in Burns's office. I liked the scenes at the retirement castle, with the elderlies hallucinating their old loves. Even see'ing Mona back was a nice addition that this episode had.

Frink got his own plot at long last, its not exactly a special plot or anything but it was developed quite well. His inventions barely played a role other then turning him into the perfect man, and outside of his long and scientific ramblings troughout the scenes in the labatory he still acted like just a guy willing to help others. Finding the ''secret to woman'' gag is pretty funny, and despite Homer's differences with Frink with their IQ's they were still a funny duo. Then the subplot pretty much continued with the hallucinating elderlies, it was fun to see Bart trying to take advantage of them for as long as it lasted. It was atleast an idea Bart mentioned that he would do, but that gag quickly ended with the nurse trying to take advantage aswell. Marge's take on the subplot had its moments aswell, pretty much liked all the hallucinating scenes where even Marge takes part in it.

Frinks plot continued to be decent, but not much special the moment he was getting way more woman then he could handle. The gag with Homer and Marge using Frinks voice changer was probably the best of this episode. It ended up nicely for both plots, even if they feel disconnected from each other.

So overall a decent episode, it managed to be enjoyable enough while containing some cute and funny moments. Always good to see secondary characters getting an episode, and Frink never even had one before. I'd say they did a decent job with him. Both plots were about as good, some nice pacing and jokes. The downsides of this episode is probably a slight lack of development that they could've given Frink some more, probably because the intro was really long and the subplot took quite some episode time aswell. It also had some awful jokes as I mentioned earlier. And while not always a bad thing, the plots were to disconnected from each other.

3.5/5, rounded to a 4/5 in the poll
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

Blog Entries

This episode was incredibly pleasant as far as Valentine's Day specials go. 5/5
    How to remaster

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I'm surprised how well this episode was received. I found it boring. The plots didn't progress smoothly and although the episode finally gave Professor Frink a major role, not much was learned about his character. We already knew he was lonely (except for that episode where the beauty queen was obsessed with him. What happened to her?). The voice thing was kind of dumb, especially how having a new voice seemed to give him a completely different personality. Not to mention the fact that attractiveness also has to do with physique, facial structure, hair, and probably other things that Professor Frink didn't change. It's also hard to believe that the minor changes he made would cause him to go from a loser no woman wanted anything to do with to someone every woman wanted to sleep with. So yeah, don't get the appeal of this one. 2.5/10

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

Why are so many people calling this a full intro? Has it been so long that everyone has forgotten what the full intro is? This was skip from band to driveway.

Blog Entries

It’s the closest we’ve gotten to having a full intro in a long time. Most HD episodes skip straight to either the couch gag or the episode itself.

There's just not a lot to say about this episode. I didn't think it was bad, but there didn't seem to be much to it. Both plots felt rushed and it was hard to get into either one (starting to really prefer single plots now, at least in modern Simpsons). I do like seeing Professor Frink being given a larger role, even if admittedly it's hard to feel much for him since he's not a very developed character in general. Still, he's a good character and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him in the future. But overall, there wasn't really anything that stood out as particularly funny in this episode. I don't expect much in terms of humor from modern Simpsons, but a little more than this would be nice. The only thing I really didn't like were a few cringey jokes in the beginning (Cletus shooting down the cupid seemed straight out of Family Guy and that's not a good thing). All in all, I guess I would consider this episode to have been the very epitome of "mild".

6/10 - 3/5 for the poll.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How come so few people have reviewed this? We usually get a lot more.

Interest is waning

Banned
    Blog Entries

This is one of the best Valentine's Day episodes that this show has ever done. Like I said before with the exception of I Love Lisa, all the other Valentine's episodes of this show have been forgettable like I'm With Cupid or Love, Springfieldian Style and that's only counting episodes that have Valentine's Day as it's main focus and not some episode that aired in February with some love story. This episode was very well-executed as far as Valentine's Day episodes go, but another thing that makes it good is that it focuses on Professor Frink and I don't know if we've ever gotten an episode that specifically focused on him. The main plot with him was executed well and it was just really cool to see an episode that focuses on him. The sub-plot on the other hand is decent, but it does feel kind of rushed and the resolution for it could've been better. This episode is very consistently funny as there is a lot of good jokes like Cletus hunting for cherubs, the "pull the plug" line, Mr. Burns imagining what he thinks a sweethearts dance is and the gag where the voice chip is in Marge's mouth for a while although even though that was very funny, I think they kind of missed an opportunity to make her voice sound a bit more like Patty and Selma's and then Homer could react to it in some way, but whatever. I didn't have too many problems with this episode, but besides the subplot feeling rushed there are a couple jokes that didn't work like that incest joke with Cletus. It's another stereotype joke with Cletus and while I would normally complain about it, here all Cletus says is "Oh Brandine, of all the cousins I could've married, you was my sister." and they've done this joke before more than once. It's just a joke that's there to get a cheap laugh out of people and that line really didn't need to be in the episode. Other than that this was a solid episode that is funny while also succeeding in being a feel-good episode as well. 8/10

I honestly didn't think this was that good. I thought it was really nice with a plot focusing on Professor Frink (which was pretty much an expanded version of the "attractive Frink" gag in The Blunder Years), but it felt thin and it was too bad that it got so sidelined and surrounded by so much filler; it took the whole first act before it really got started and the Springfield Retirement Castle subplot about the elderly getting high on their meds felt like it had way more room than it needed to have (especially with Grampa's hallucinations about his younger days which was too much, especially for what was supposed to be a subplot) and it made the Frink story come off as rushed and underdeveloped. On top of that, the humor wasn't much better as it did fall pretty flat and there wasn't anything that stood out as especially good at all and only made me chuckle a couple of times (one of those was Maggie dressed up as Dolly Parton) so it didn't make for an especially good episode; it wasn't bad but it was pretty uneven and mediocre & could have been much better.

2.5/5 (rounded up to 3/5 for the poll)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Professor frink tries to find the scientific method to attracting women meanwhile Abe simpson goes to the past by takeing hallucinations, i found it a little creepy hearing julie kavners actual voice, that titer titer squirrel voice made me chuckle, i liked the love letter couch gag, i liked that they are finally addressing the over drugging of the seniors in this episode because usually they would make a joke out of it and move on like it was nothing but this time they finally treated it like it was a serious issue, in conclusion this was a good valentines day episode and i give it a 4/5 GLAYVIN!.
    Last edited by dman360; 02-20-2016 at 06:10 PM.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

This was just a load of nothingness, Frink wasn't interesting enough for the main plot, proving that some characters are best in smaller doses. The subplot was boring too. 2/5

Best moment: Mr. Burns falling through the trap door.

We're out of time.

Trivia note: this was Mark Kirkland's 80th episode.

I watched this yesterday, I have to say I was looking forward to an episode based around Professor Frink and I have to admit I...I didn't really enjoy it. It felt like it could have gone better. As already been said, the flashback scenes with Abe and the rest of the retirement castle through their meds was done far too much. To me, it was a one-joke deal, do it once and move on, but for some reason they felt the need to drag it out longer than the Frink story. It was because of this, I couldn't really invest In Frink's story

There were a few little gags that got a little chuckle but nothing major, Mr Burns falling through the trap door, the squirrel voice change...other than that, nothing really was that funny or even memorable to me. The sudden change from Professor Frink to setting other guys up and, yet again, another back-to-the-status-quo ending. Frink, alone again, looking at the stars. I felt underwhelmed by it.

Altogether, I can't get past how much of a wasted opportunity this was and how sad I am they went straight back to the status quo ending again. I watched it, but I don't know if or when I will watch it again. There was nothing to bring me back to view again. 2/5 for the poll (4.5/10 for me)

Thread Information