View Poll Results: how would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

11 16.42%
  • 4/5

30 44.78%
  • 3/5

13 19.40%
  • 2/5

8 11.94%
  • 1/5

5 7.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "Much Apu About Something" (VABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Post R&R: "Much Apu About Something" (VABF05)

JANUARY 17, 2016
    SEASON 27 EPISODE 12
    PREVIOUS R&R
    NEXT R&R
    Sanjay passes his stake in the Kwik-E-Mart to his millennial son, Jay, who turns it into a hip, health food market against Apu’s insistence on tradition. Bart, whom Homer had convinced to give up pranking, is called upon to return to his trickster life and take down the new store.
    As per usual, please refrain from voting until the episode airs.
    Last edited by Sam; 02-26-2016 at 02:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

** Apu falling off cliff
    End of act 1. Only 1 funny joke. 1/10
    ** Heart attack shaped like penis
    * Homer drying pits
    *** Chalmers presenting manhood
    ** Grampa rant
    * Bart and Lisa's prank
    End of act 2, decent! 7/10
    ? Why the hell is Bart singing Christian music
    End of act 3, terrible. 1/10
    Better than Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles, but still bad.
    The plot wasn't cringeworthy this time. It was nice to give Jay a role in the plot, though it is odd why he was so much older. It was also nice to see Bart pulling pranks again, it's been a while.
    However, it gets such a low grade here because it simply wasn't that funny. The 2nd act had pretty good humor, but acts 1 and 3 had pretty much no funny jokes, with ones like the whole "i promise" scene, the stereotypes joke, and others being pretty weak.
    Overall, better than last time, but still weak. 3/10.
    Last edited by The Easter Egg Council Creep; 01-17-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Are you aroused? OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your review last week where you really wrote down your thoughts was good. Why can't you do that more often?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

Not too bad. I did enjoy fight between the police and volunteer fire departments, the whole stereotype bit, and the Monarch butterflies popping out of the bad bananas. Otherwise, the rest of it was just your typical forgettable modern Simpsons...

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, that was funny as hell. Neat story and some actually funny lines like "A millennial that failed. Now who's the stereotype!?" and the story kept along at a brisk pace, plus Bart actually was pitiful in an empathetic way. Also, a nice "Life if Pi" reference, too.

5/5 and my favorite of the season, yes, even more than Halloween of Horror.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    Your review last week where you really wrote down your thoughts was good. Why can't you do that more often?
    I'll do that now! However, it won't be as long, as I don't really have that much strong feelings about this episode.

الذهاب المغيرين kellyanne conway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

voices in this ep were so bad, wiggum was bad, krusty was bad, apu was bad, sanjay was wtf bad...

WHERE'S MAH DOLLAH!?

I think I liked this a little more than last week's episode, but I felt there was a bit of wasted potential. Bart being restricted from pranking seemed like a great concept but they really didn't do much with it (besides trying to evoke a little emotion with him bonding with Lisa which also didn't go anywhere) and he basically fell back into it when the plot called for it. The main plot with Apu and Jay was alright but like I said they didn't do much, just what seemed to me like commentary on healthy food markets and hip lingo. The ending was a bit lacking too, conveniently a winning lottery ticket (which somehow survived the fire, I noticed) gave Apu just enough money to rebuild the Kwik-E-Mart (and Jay just disappears after that). The jokes, like the parade, the statue, and the conversation in the bathroom were funny (and then you have some like the Clockwork Orange reference, hasn't this show done so many of them already?).

Overall, I think it's better than last week's episode, but the plot maybe could've been a little better.

Blog Entries

i didn't actually hate it. there was some okay comedy, the story actually felt natural, and the giest star actually got a few good deliveriez. a few big fumbles like that random aside about lisa's friend rachel and the random emotional dilemma with lisa and bart was pretty poor. but yeah i cant complain about much in this ep.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    5/5 and my favorite of the season, yes, even more than Halloween of Horror.
    Even more than Barthood?
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    Even more than Barthood?
    Yeah. Barthood had the novelty of seeing the characters older, but tonight's episode was a lot funnier.

Blog Entries

Thought it was decent. Nothing uproarious, but stuff made sense, the plot was fresh albeit formulaic, and I thought the conflict between Jamshed/Jay and Apu was interesting. The animation of the food rotting was surprisingly good.

My main complaints: Why did they feel the need to waste a minute on Apu's lottery backstory just to explain Sanjay owns more than Apu? Ditto Lisa's imaginary friend, who cares. Also: loved the spotlight on Jamshed, but where the H was Pahusacheta?????

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

It's great to see an Apu episode again, especially one not centered around his relationship with his wife and kids. The aging up of Jamshed was weird, but he was never really a very important character (tertiary at best) so I wasn't that bothered by it. The plot itself flowed well, and I loved the notion of replacing the town square statue. Bart giving up pranking deserved a bit more time, just so we could see how he had changed, but it still was an enjoyable enough B-story and linked to the A-story and even the town square statue story quite well. In fact, outside of Lisa's little imaginary friend scene (which was funny, but was a bit too long) everything seemed to contribute to the plot in this episode. Bonus points for the plot being rather fresh and interesting and the jokes landing. I especially loved Bart and Lisa driving Grampa crazy by silently moving their mouths, very classic era vibe to that bit.

Overall a solid 4/5
    UP AND ATOM!

I've been waiting a long time for another Apu heavy ep.. and it didnt disappoint. And what a great Homer/Bart story.. nice opening gags.. Gator gives it 5/5

Are you aroused? OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm kinda wondering which episodes you don't give a 5/5.

This was an excellent episode and definitely one of the best this season. Very entertaining and definitely warrants multiple viewings. 4.5/5, bumping it up to a 5.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    I'm kinda wondering which episodes you don't give a 5/5.
    Gatorgod doesn't understand that by giving the same score to every episode that his 5/5 rankings have no value whatsoever. His opinion is effectively invalidated.
    The same goes for anyone who constantly gives 1/5 rankings, incidentally.

I rather enjoyed tonight's episode... it boasted strong characterizations, a tight narrative and a number of jokes that hit their mark.
    That's all I ask out of modern Simpsons.
    SEASON 29 RANKINGS
    The Serfsons - 2/5 / Springfield Splendor - 4/5 / Whistler's Father - 1.5/5
    THOH XXVIII = The Sweets Hereafter - 3.5/5 / The Exor-Sis - 3/5 / Coralisa - 4.5/5 / MMM... HOMER - 2/5
    Grampy Can Ya Hear Me - 2/5 / The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be - 1.5/5
    Singin' in the Lane - 1/5

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't care for this one too much. It was original in that it focused on a secondary character, which was refreshing, but it was really the only thing I liked. Well, I guess Jay wasn't too bad either. With the increase in teenagers (Shauna, Jay) and teenage behavior from Bart and Lisa, you can definitely tell the writers' kids have grown up. A lot of jokes just fell flat, went on too long, or were over-explained, like the joke about pretending to talk so Grampa couldn't hear them. There was no reason to actually show them doing that. And the resolution was one of the most clichéd things you can do. Winning the lottery? REALLY? That was horrible. It gets a 2/5.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Something I've noticed about the past few episodes is that they feel a lot smoother and more natural than I'm used to HD episodes being. I hope all the VABF episodes are like this, because it is refreshing. On the other hand, the past few episodes have still been plagued by poor writing. This was a much better written episode, with the relationship between Apu and Jamshed actually being somewhat developed. And the subplot, while short, served its purpose and didn't seem underdeveloped (especially with Lisa's role being ultimately inconsequential). It could have been explored more, but for the purposes of the episode, it didn't need to be. Jamshed/Jay was not the most multi-dimensional character, but he seemed a lot more developed than the typical "one-time character." I also liked the nice little inconsequential scenes, like Lisa and Bart annoying Grampa. I'll have to wait and see if this episode holds up on re-watch, but for now, it's a pass. 6/10

Yeah, this episode was pretty great--I agree with the positive consensus; it was just all-around entertaining from the very beginning to the very end. I generally like Apu, so it was nice to see him be the centric-character again, which hasn't happened for a while. Jamshed was a decent guest character--nothing special, but he was a good parody of millennial entrepreneurs and I do know people around here who speak a lot like he does--it's not much of an exaggeration.

The episode actually felt a bit zany in parts, at least with things like Apu falling off the cliff, some of the random plot-irrelevant scenes they cut to (could've done without Lisa's imaginary friend bit, but that's not much of a complaint), and some of the small moments that made me chuckle (like "Scratcher's lung", the Big Bang Theory scratch-and-wins, and the ridiculous Jebediah Springfield statue). I laughed a number of times this episode, more than the average for this season. (I think the moment that made me laugh the most was Moe's "Giving Up" magazine cover).

The moment when Jamshed and Apu both accurately accused each other of being stereotypes was gold--that had to be one of the best moments of the season, in my opinion. The sub-plot wasn't much on its own, but at least Bart was in character and it eventually tied in well with the main plot. As for the ending, I never really care how the "return to the status quo" happens; we all know it's coming and I don't expect anything realistic.

The third-best episode of the season, I'd say.

5/5 for the poll. 7/10 on the uncurved scale.

Well, after the meh episode "The Girl Code" and the Bad episode "Teenage Mutant Milk-caused Hurdles" this was a very good episode. It is just structurally watchable, and it is pretty funny. Hope the rest of the season is like this. 4/5.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised people thought tonight's ep had so little to criticize, cause I thought it was really sloppy in places. For one, Bart's whole transformation from prankster to good to prankster again happened too quickly to really hold any weight. Like, Homer just yells at him for it (which in itself is odd for Homer) and Bart takes it to heart without hesitation although he's never ever done this before when Homer yells at him for pranks. Maybe it could have been expanded on with the time spent on Lisa growing fond of Bart for becoming good. I also thought the idea of Milhouse becoming the new town prankster was kinda neat (certainly more interesting than what we got). And Bart just goes back to being a prankster because Clockwork Orange reference. ok.

As for the Apu/Jamshed plot, I thought the conflict was simple enough for once that it could make a nice short subplot, but it got pretty messy with the addition of Apu's out-of-nowhere scratcher addiction (I would have had no problem if the Kwik-E-Mart's rebuilding wasn't explained - I mean they've done it a lot before over the years, and we know Apu has money from all his gouging). Also, Apu's desire to back to the old store is kinda badly explained, especially given the fact that the new store is supposedly raking in much more cash. I mean, the connection between a convenience store and Apu's Indian traditions is a bit flimsy and could have used some expanding on. Maybe Apu wants his old store back because he knows his customers well, even if it doesn't pay as well? Maybe he misses working with Sanjay? It'd at least be better than "I want it back cause I'm a stereotype."

For all it shortcomings, though, it's not all bad - I liked the contrast between Apu and Jamshed, and there weren't that many lousy jokes. Low 4/5 on poll sounds right.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

4/5 - this was actually a pretty good episode, even with the obvious "everything is back to normal" ending

Jay used the word "penis", but the show got a TV-PG rating instead of a TV-14.

Mayor Quimby calls Jebediah Springfield "Jebedier."

Bart says, "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything"; is this the first time he has said this phrase on the show itself?
    (He said something very similar in an early, episode, but I think the last part was more like, "There's no way you can pin anything on me.")

Lenny won a Kwik-E-Mart scratcher prize of much more than $25 once.
    EDIT: It was $50,000, in "Double, Double, Boy in Trouble"

Bart had no problem pranking Grampa along with Lisa.

Quick & Fresh has cruelty free carrots.

Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 01-18-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Bart says, "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything"; is this the first time he has said this phrase on the show itself?
    (He said something very similar in an early episode, but I think the last part was more like, "There's no way you can pin anything on me.")
    In Moaning Lisa, he said "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, there's no way they can prove anything."

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'm surprised people thought tonight's ep had so little to criticize, cause I thought it was really sloppy in places. For one, Bart's whole transformation from prankster to good to prankster again happened too quickly to really hold any weight. Like, Homer just yells at him for it (which in itself is odd for Homer) and Bart takes it to heart without hesitation although he's never ever done this before when Homer yells at him for pranks. Maybe it could have been expanded on with the time spent on Lisa growing fond of Bart for becoming good. I also thought the idea of Milhouse becoming the new town prankster was kinda neat (certainly more interesting than what we got).
    Yeah, I thought that was where the subplot was going after that scene with the cherry picker (I completely forgot about it when writing my review though).
    And Bart just goes back to being a prankster because Clockwork Orange reference. ok.
    I think what they were going for here is Homer suggesting that Bart should return to pranking was enough to make Bart realize that he wants to, and perhaps all that preceded that was a flimsy attempt by Bart to convince himself that he can stop pranking (for whatever reason. I can't remember what Homer said to him in the first place to get him to stop), and nothing Homer could say after that could make Bart go back to being good.

Also, Apu's desire to back to the old store is kinda badly explained, especially given the fact that the new store is supposedly raking in much more cash. I mean, the connection between a convenience store and Apu's Indian traditions is a bit flimsy and could have used some expanding on. Maybe Apu wants his old store back because he knows his customers well, even if it doesn't pay as well? Maybe he misses working with Sanjay? It'd at least be better than "I want it back cause I'm a stereotype."
    It's been established before that Apu likes his job, or is at least extremely dedicated to it. Having such a radical change in his life couldn't be easy to cope with, especially if he is the type of person who doesn't like change in the first place (which given how traditional he is portrayed as in this episode, he is probably like that).

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think that's what the episode was trying to do, but it just wasn't explained clearly enough. Maybe Apu did want his old store back because he couldn't cope with change, but the episode only demonstrates that as far as Apu calling Jamshed a stereotype and Jamshed calling Apu one. And with the Bart subplot, Lisa's full support of his new self and his own full unwillingness to prank (see: cherry picker scene) certainly wouldn't suggest a flimsy attempt at being well-behaved. I guess if the show's not over-explaining these days then it's under-explaining.

man , i liked to see the bart and lisa relation in this episode , and with a good behavior. But it wasn't developed so much. He immediately turned back into the bad guy without emphasize the scene with a really serious reason :\\ Do you agree?

Blog Entries

even the naysayers have gotta admit 27 is shaping up to be the best HD season

Another 5/5

Blog Entries

No, nobody has to admit that.

Blog Entries

he's not wrong!

Thread Information