14 20.29%
  • 3/5: Grade C Milk

23 33.33%
  • 2/5: Grade D Milk

14 20.29%
  • 1/5: Grade F Milk

10 14.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles" (VABF04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

R&R: "Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles" (VABF04)

A new teacher arrives at Springfield Elementary, and a captivated Bart tries everything to win her over. Meanwhile, Homer decides to buy a new brand of "milk," which causes early puberty, both for Bart (augmenting his wooing powers) and Lisa (whose small bout with acne opens her up to the world of makeup and popularity)
    Last edited by The Easter Egg Council Creep; 01-10-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Well, the Simpsons has been delayed, due to FOX deciding to cut it close by scheduling NFL Football from 4:30 to 7:30 PM, and the game wound up running long. This is gonna screw up a lot of DVRs... I'd rather watch a modern Simpsons episode than some guys running back and forth throwing a ball and it isn't the Patriots...

الذهاب المغيرين kellyanne conway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

fox didn't schedule this, nfl did

The retro 80s-style couch gag was pretty fun! And the rest of the intro was the usual short one that starts from the driveway, which is a definite plus when doing long couch gags.
    So far I'm liking Bart's new teacher. And that gag where her mind was voiced by Tress MacNeille using her same old stock voice she uses for all incidental females (that line "That's right, I sound like this!" was amusing.)
    Since I'm interested in the science of puberty, I thought the whole thing about Bart and Lisa's early puberty was rather interesting.
    Snake doing the Buzz milk hotline was pretty amusing.
    Of course, with the rainstorm approaching, we get that thunder sound effect that sounds like the Warner Bros. gunshot sound effect!
    The ending felt almost like nothing really happened much after that ill-fated "cool" party...

And yet ANOTHER episode that uses a custom credits theme instead of the regular one.

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

I was about to downgrade this episode but the end shot of Lisa playing the Sax in school, I am guessing she was in music class ? and Bart and Skinner roasting marshmallows on a winter evening brought it up a notch !!!!!!!!!!

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

-- Very weird couch gag,
    About milk, remember that word has several meanings.
    --- UGH. Bart falls in love with the teacher immediately!
    --- "Not a man, right?" Does anyone else find that kind of homophobic?
    Yikes! Not a single laugh, and the plot is disturbing!
    * Lisa eating carrots
    *** Snake carving address
    End of act 2, not much better, 3/10.
    ** Ralph Wiggum putting hand in mouth.
    Terrible. 1/10.
    YIKES!
    I don't really post extended thoughts often, but this episode was just so bad plusses and minuses can't tell the whole story.
    The jokes were terrible. I only laughed at 3. Lisa eating the carrots, Ralph putting his hand in his mouth, and Snake carving the address. Other than those, every joke bombed, which is really bad when you're watching something intended to make you laugh.
    Then we have the plot. I don't really focus on plot often, but this was garbage. The whole "milk" thing was really stupid (Milk causing puberty? Really?). Secondly, Bart's plot was legitimately disturbing. Bart is just TEN YEARS OLD! What is he doing romancing a 30-40 year old woman? Skinner is in love too? So Bart is competing for love with his PRINCIPAL? Damn! Finally, Lisa's subplot was incredibly underdeveloped. She becomes popular just because she puts 2 red dots on her face, goes to a party, and then it's over? Wow!
    Overall, worst episode of the year by far. 1/10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    Since I'm interested in the science of puberty, I thought the whole thing about Bart and Lisa's early puberty was rather interesting.
    o
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tormented

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    -- Very weird couch gag,
    About milk, remember that word has several meanings.
    --- UGH. Bart falls in love with the teacher immediately!
    --- "Not a man, right?" Does anyone else find that kind of homophobic?
    Yikes! Not a single laugh, and the plot is disturbing!
    * Lisa eating carrots
    *** Snake carving address
    End of act 2, not much better, 3/10.
    ** Ralph Wiggum putting hand in mouth.
    Terrible. 1/10.
    YIKES!
    I don't really post extended thoughts often, but this episode was just so bad plusses and minuses can't tell the whole story.
    The jokes were terrible. I only laughed at 3. Lisa eating the carrots, Ralph putting his hand in his mouth, and Snake carving the address. Other than those, every joke bombed, which is really bad when you're watching something intended to make you laugh.
    Then we have the plot. I don't really focus on plot often, but this was garbage. The whole "milk" thing was really stupid (Milk causing puberty? Really?). Secondly, Bart's plot was legitimately disturbing. Bart is just TEN YEARS OLD! What is he doing romancing a 30-40 year old woman? Skinner is in love too? So Bart is competing for love with his PRINCIPAL? Damn! Finally, Lisa's subplot was incredibly underdeveloped. She becomes popular just because she puts 2 red dots on her face, goes to a party, and then it's over? Wow!
    Overall, worst episode of the year by far. 1/10.

I believe the couch gag was a spoof of Miami Vice, I thought It was epic and funny!!!!!!!

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This wasn't as bad it sounded, but it was still pretty damn poor. The one thing I was glad about was that there was a reason for the way they looked and acted, and it wasn't just the writers being unable to write for kids their age. But it was quite bad other than that. The whole plot with Bart trying to get his teacher to like him was cringeworthy, and Lisa's plot wasn't given any time to develop, so it didn't go anywhere. (Also, as a person with hereditary acne problems and experience wearing makeup for theatre, applying makeup is one of the worst things you can do to yourself when it comes to acne.)

I found it pretty hard to believe that Skinner didn't think Bart trying to win his teacher's affection was creepy as hell. HE'S TEN YEARS OLD. That stuff isn't supposed to happen at that age; I think even Skinner knows that. They did all right with giving the teacher at least a little bit of depth, such as a background, but she was still pretty forgettable for the most part. It was a mediocre episode, but with a plot like that, it's probably as good as I could've hoped for. 2/5

WHERE'S MAH DOLLAH!?

Well, I didn't get to see much of the episode because of the football game (I switched channels for a bit, but I didn't realize they started playing the episode later so I missed some of it). But from what I saw it was mostly a meh episode.

The subplot (I'm guessing) was Lisa trying to fit in with the popular crowd. I guess she wearing makeup is starting to become a trend this episode (she wore makeup in the last episode even though it really wasn't essential to the plot) but I wonder what that had to do with the milk exactly. Bart got the weird mustache and Maggie got the unibrow and strength at the end (if someone could fill me in a bit because I was a little confused). I liked the part at the party where Lisa was giving her speech only to have it fall flat on it's face (the Lisa trying to be popular thing never really lasts that long does it?) and especially her short friendship with Ralph after it.

I've heard about the main plot before when it was announced, but the whole thing screams Mike Scully just like CONRAD last episode. So milk instantly causes Bart to grow a mustache and Maggie grows strength (and it did nothing to Lisa apparently). The "student falls in love with teacher" plot they had going on was a little weird, especially considering it was a huge love triangle with Bart and Skinner fighting over her. The new teacher wasn't bad but from what I saw they didn't really explore her character that much and the resolution was rushed as she just immediately leaves Skinner because of his mom. And then she disappears for the rest of the episode (isn't she supposed to become a recurring character or something now? To be honest I don't really she her coming back or anything, unless it's just for a short classroom thing).

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It gave Lisa acne. She wore makeup to cover it.

dont be a jerk It's an ataeaf Christmas!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I... really liked this one. Most of the jokes hit, which is good considering how unfunny this season was. I’m glad they focused mostly on the hormone stuff rather than the Bart x Teacher stuff. A low B-, 4/5 on poll.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked all of it up until the hormones plot kicked in, then it got odd; Ass-whoopin' Maggie is always a plus.

Episode 2.5/5

Couch gag: 4/5

Overall: 3/5

WHERE'S MAH DOLLAH!?

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    It gave Lisa acne. She wore makeup to cover it.
    Oh, it was acne. I guess that makes sense... as much sense as this episode didn't though...

Blog Entries

Well, I was all ready to watch the episode, then I noticed that the football game STILL wasn't over yet! It seemed that Fox had to delay the showing by 20 minutes! Boo, hiss! But anyway, when the show finally started, I saw the Miami Vice parody couch gag called "La-Z Rider", complete with kick-ass Homer pumping adrenaline. And there are cool real-life human-like selves, like Ned Flanders and Sideshow Bob (!) getting their butts kicked. All while the song "Push It to the Limit" plays in the background. And I like Homer's "Stupid damn reruns!" bit at the end of the couch gag.

Now we get to the episode. There are some parts that are funny, like Groundskeeper Willie teaching the students a lesson with loud bagpipes that got me LOLing; the parts with Bart, Principal Skinner and some teacher named Carol (voiced by Soifa Vergara) reading each other's thoughts; Lisa eating a carrot and crying while in her closed hoodie; and my surprise that the hormone-addled Buzz Milk and its "hotline" came from Snake Jailbird, no less (which is why Maggie gets all badass on Bart and Lisa after drinking the milk). And then there are some parts that are kinda meh at this point, like Bart letting Skinner have Carol, only to have Skinner's mother Agnes denounce her and cause her to break up with him; some that are good, like Bart and Milhouse having marshmallows with Skinner; and some that are pretty gross, like Bart and the new teacher walking around the world, blowing their enemies up and drinking blood from their hearts, all to the tune of "Tuesday Afternoon" by The Moody Blues (which, as you know, happens to be my dad's favorite song). But otherwise, not too bad, with the couch gag that makes the episode pretty good. I give this a score of 7 out of 10, leaning between Grade B Milk and Grade C Milk, but some funny parts alone makes me lean toward Grade B.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Honestly unsure what to think of this. I might need to rewatch this before I grade it. (Also Lisa with an S, but that's unrelated)

Two things I gotta say is that Lisa should have had the A Plot, though I guess since we have the new permanent teacher maybe, she needed the A plot. Oh well

The second thing is that, while I havent seen either episode, just thinking of "rat milk" and "malk" makes me laugh every time. The jokes around the new milk were funny but I do wish it had a memorable shorthand name. Soda milk? I dunno.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smear-Gel View Post
    Honestly unsure what to think of this. I might need to rewatch this before I grade it. (Also Lisa with an S, but that's unrelated)

Two things I gotta say is that Lisa should have had the A Plot, though I guess since we have the new permanent teacher maybe, she needed the A plot. Oh well

The second thing is that, while I havent seen either episode, just thinking of "rat milk" and "malk" makes me laugh every time. The jokes around the new milk were funny but I do wish it had a memorable shorthand name. Soda milk? I dunno.
    The "milk" joke is a satire of the milk Coca Cola is making called Fairlife Milk:

http://fairlife.com/about/

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

eh it was ok. The whole premise of Bart's story was kinda weird with or without the hormone excuse, and if their best idea for a prank was to have a crate of animals miraculously appear while Bart is scheming then oof. At least Lisa stayed mostly in-character, although her story was essentially a three-scene version of "Lisa tries to fit in" so not much of a victory there. Above all, though, what bothered me most tonight was how many times plot points just appeared out of nowhere to service a joke or the plot. In addition to the crate of class pets, there's Patty inexplicably on the school grounds, Willie walking in on Skinner and teacher, Ralph appearing from a pile of leaves, Agnes at the ice rink, Milhouse appearing for a one-liner during one of Bart's conversations with teacher etc. There's also Apu advertising Buzz Milk even though it's cheaper, Marge conveniently discovering it's the milk after Maggie instantly reacts to it, and the teacher suddenly leaving after seeing Agnes.

I liked the credits tune though. Generous 3/5 on poll although it's probably closer to a 2/5.

Loved this episode from start to end, and in reverse for some reason? .. I've already tried Soda Milk over in Japan 4 yrs ago (カルピス, Karupisu).. Big Fan of this episode, Not a big fan of Milk Soda .. I like Bart & Lisa's fight at the end, and Maggie breaking it up strong arm style.. 5/5 Grade A

Yuck!

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

They use the Baby New Year Maggie / Old Year Grampa opening every two years; it appeared in 2012 and 2014, but not in 2013 or 2015.

MAX POWER!!!

Hidden math joke: Ms. Berrera says we built "negative 3" hospitals - most people would have said "minus 3," but mathematicians always say "positive" and "negative."

The organic milk Homer tries to buy is a 3-quart carton.

The "milk" has Berkelium and Californium, both named after the University of California, Berkeley, which, ironically, probably wouldn't sell artificial milk.

The court date calendar on the refrigerator is that "30 days starting on Thursday" one seen in previous episodes.

Only Homer, Bart, and Maggie have court dates.

On the classroom alphabet, the lowercase "q" has its curl on the wrong side; it looks like a "g".

According to Thing Magazine, chocolate toothpaste is a thing. There is a mention of chocolate toothpaste in one of the Life in Hell books (Lisa got it as a birthday present once).

If Homer never removed the plastic from the razor blades, then he would have grown a much longer beard.

Bart's mustache grew back between the time he arrived at school and when he got in class.

When Marge tips the milk carton to read it, it's almost full, but the milk doesn't level out.

Bart has a 28-day "August" calendar in his room.

Couch Gag by Steve Cutts
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

"Where's the credits - you know, writer, director, special guest voices?"
    Since the twenty or so Simpsons Wikis all have that information anyway, why bother posting it again?
    (Which, of course, means I'll forget that I said this and post them again next week...)

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    Well, the Simpsons has been delayed, due to FOX deciding to cut it close by scheduling NFL Football from 4:30 to 7:30 PM, and the game wound up running long. This is gonna screw up a lot of DVRs... I'd rather watch a modern Simpsons episode than some guys running back and forth throwing a ball and it isn't the Patriots...
    Gee, if only somebody had, oh, I don't know, how about, say, posted warnings about this all season long on Twitter (with the hashtag #SimpsonsOnFOX) and Facebook, including today...

So of course you find out on the last day of the NFL season when it will affect The Simpsons (next week's Fox game is at 1 Eastern; after that, it is at 6 or so, so The Simpsons is pre-empted, and that's the last NFL game on Fox this season). Not to worry; #SimpsonsOnFOX also posts warnings if Fox's NASCAR races run long because of rain delays, although usually if the schedule would be affected, the race would move to Fox Sports 1.

الذهاب المغيرين kellyanne conway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

don't know why you guys are upset, the packers/washington game was better than the simpsons anyway...

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

Couch gag was really good. Already been talked about in the thread we had for that though so onto the episode itself.

Interesting how the boys were all "A woman!?" in a positive manner considering how the reactions went in last weeks episode when a female teacher showed up. At least they wasted no time in getting right to it with introducing her. Kinda surprised by the whole attraction on Bart's end happening immediately though. Figured the ol' milk induced puberty thing would happen first, with the attraction being the first act break. It seemed like an odd request from Marge to pick up milk without hormones too. Like, I've never once heard of anyone searching for milk that way. I mean, going for the skimmed or semi-skimmed kind over whole milk, sure, but y'know, it just seemed like a super odd setup prior to Apu showing Homer that video. They really laid it on thick with so many characters wanting to ogle Vegara's character as well, and puberty element be damned they could have done this story without it since Bart fell for her right away anyway, but hey, Bart hitting puberty is pretty much the only reason anyone gave a fuck about this episode anyway.

The "They love me too" bit with Tress' voice was stupid, both as a joke and as a spanner in the works of the story since it made clear that she was aware Bart liked her but didn't choose to address it beyond that, instead making her more of a prop than a character. The weirdest thing this episode has going for it is Bart Vs. Skinner for Vergara's affection. I mean, on Bart's end, y'know, fair enough, he's a ten year old kid, but Skinner's jealousy was just... really, really stupid. I mean, granted, the guy has lived under his mother's thumb his whole life, was a 44 year old virgin and knows how much of a nightmare Bart can be, but to be so threatened under these circumstances still made no sense. What, did he seriously think she'd run off with Bart and fuck him? Facial hair or not he's still a 10 year old. Bart ripping off his mustache like it was false was dumb. He and Skinner patching things up was nice but the way Agnes just swooped in and ruined the relationship for Seymour just felt like such an obvious and cheap finish. God forbid this show ever have a new character who isn't a guest star. They might actually have a chance of sticking around for more than one episode

As for the Lisa story, it was fine. Not a whole lot to be said about it. Took kinda of a slightly darker tone than I was expecting when it got to that inner monologue at the party though. Pretty good line reading by Yeardley on that.

Gags I liked:
    Chalmers calling the bagpipes a "Torture trumpet"
    "How many hospitals did you help build?"/"Negative 3"
    The newspaper article Milhouse had about Mrs. Krabappel is fairly amusing if you read the whole thing.
    Homer singing about being drunk
    "We could engineer a new Jimmy who was less of a brat"
    "Oh, do I have a cute new sexy teacher? I hadn't noticed!"
    "Even my mom got bored, and she loves boredom!"
    "Wrestlevania"
    "What happened? Did Jazz die?"
    Ned's mustache sense
    "It went right to my head! Ahhhhh!" (That was adorably childlike, something we don't see too often with Lisa these days)
    "You look balonely" (They laid it on a bit but that scene is probably the least annoying Ralph has been in forever)

3/5 for the poll because I'm feeling generous but I'm sure that'll decrease when and if I see this episode again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    "Not a man, right?" Does anyone else find that kind of homophobic?
    I'm tempted to say yes, but the setup of Homer wanting to see how cute the teacher is kinda made seem a bit more like he was just making sure he'd be getting to check out a woman for his own selfish wants, rather than any fear over Bart being gay. That said, it was still a bit of an uncomfortable moment.
    How to remaster

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    The "milk" joke is a satire of the milk Coca Cola is making called Fairlife Milk:

http://fairlife.com/about/
    It looks like this is the exact video that they're parodying:

Blog Entries

This episode wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...but still 3/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

I've been waiting all day to say something about the new episode...stupid downtime

This may be one of those rare times when my opinion of an HD episode is higher than the general consensus. This episode was surprisingly decent. No, it wasn't exactly laugh-out-loud funny, but I don't really expect that from any HD episode at this point. And since many of the episodes this season have been filled with cringeworthy jokes that don't land, forced emotion, and obnoxious one-time characters that I never want to see again, this episode was an improvement (one-time characters are never really compelling, whether voiced by a guest star or not, but I had nothing against this one). Yes, the Lisa storyline was a little underdeveloped (and a lot of episodes have addressed the situation of Lisa temporarily gaining fleeting popularity), but the plot with Bart having a crush on his teacher was something that hasn't exactly been done before and I felt it was done well (this is also because I genuinely like the Skinner/Bart rivalry and friendship and I didn't mind that it was brought back for this episode). The whole idea of milk giving people mustaches was a little strange (though I loved that Flanders bit), but despite the premise sounding terrible, I found the episode entertaining and there was nothing "bad" in it that I could really find. After a whole episode of tech references, it was nice to get back to the kids as the focus point.

Lost my list of "little things I liked", but I had to mention Thing Magazine--that was awesome. And should be a thing.

4/5 for the poll

6.5/10 for my uncurved scale.
    Last edited by Nitsy; 01-11-2016 at 07:15 PM.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Not as bad as I was expecting, but still pretty bad. The new teacher's voice didn't match her at all, and Sofia Vergara has a really annoying voice anyway. The character wasn't developed at all, nor was her relationship with Principal Skinner, nor was her relationship with Bart. Bart's interest in the teacher started before he started drinking the milk, which made the milk stuff seem pointless and the resolution confusing. The subplot was also very underdeveloped. 2/10

Blog Entries

I know this may be a coincidence, but did anyone find it odd that Miss Carol Berrera's cat Bowie is named after the late singer David Bowie? Just my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeldeb82 View Post
    I know this may be a coincidence, but did anyone find it odd that Miss Carol Berrera's cat Bowie is named after the late singer David Bowie? Just my opinion.
    It's a creepy coincidence. There was an episode about 10 years ago where a trapeze artist falls to his implied death that aired less than a day after a trapeze artist died from missing the bar.

Blog Entries

This was another bad episode that was saved by a couple of decent jokes. Bart wanted to fuck his teacher or something and Skinner was jealous of a 10 year old for some reason and Mrs. Bererra was an army girl but they forgot to make her interesting. Skinner and Bererra had no chemistry together and the way they broke up felt incredibly rushed. We also get Lisa trying to be popular for the billionth time. The whole thing with the milk was pointless anyway. 2/5

Good Moments
    Ned's moustache sense
    Ralph's appearance

Thread Information