Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Barthood (VABF02)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: Barthood (VABF02)

"Barthood"
    Production No. VABF02
    Original Airdate: December 13, 2015

Bart's coming of age story, a la "Boyhood," chronicles his life from six years old to his time as an accomplished young man. Along the way, his tense relationship with Homer, an overly uncaring version of himself, and Lisa, who overshadows him in every way possible, shape Bart more than he realizes.
    Written by Dan Greaney
    Directed by Rob Oliver

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

* Why is blood red?
    That was terrible. Only 1 chuckle-worthy joke. 1/10.
    ** Milhouse getting tased.
    ** MIlhouse cross tattoo.
    *** Bong scene.
    *** A Classic Grampa rant!
    ** Bart's stunt.
    Starting to get good! 7.5/10!
    ** No Gland
    End of act 3. 1/10.
    Overall, The terrible trend of the season continues. 4th straight episode below a 4. 3/10. I'm still baffled why I feel this way. It's the same as ever, so why do I hate it? I need therapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have no poll! We need to fix this at once.

Blog Entries

OK. It was good but also bad. Mostly bad. That is my monthly post now I will leave until mid January. 2/5
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Blog Entries

I accidentally voted 1/5 so if someone wants to vote a 1/5 please vote 2/5 instead. Gotta keep things accurate for future generations.

Pretty good episode except for the apple car joke and Nelson's weird disease. I'll give it a 7/10

It was actually a pretty decent episode. I liked the rotoscoped couch gag.
    The therapist once again has the same stock voice Tress MacNeille uses for almost all incidental females she voices. (I'm waiting for them to do a joke about a few incidental women on the show all sounding the same!)
    That "Apple Car" reminded me a lot of the Apple Copter that Lowly Worm would drive in Richard Scarry's books and the animated shows.
    So Homer gets re-addicted to marijuana again? That was kind of shocking.

Anyone else notice Dan Castellaneta is a consulting producer again? Also, Harry Shearer was credited, but he didn't do any voices. I guess he's now starting to be like Chris Edgerly, being credited for not doing any voices in the episode. Overall, I give it a 3/5.

Blog Entries

What a nice first page, great reviews so far guys.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Blog Entries

bye @Kaine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

10/10 will watch again.

My hype has been completely satisfied.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1/5 space camp 06

I really enjoyed watching this episode, especially seeing the close relationship between Bart and Grampa. 4/5.

Blog Entries

It was pretty good up until the end, when Bart's dickish behaviour became unbearable and selfish (glad Lisa called him out on that). The ending parts were kind of weird because Lisa calls Bart a great artist, and in the end, he's making money as an ameteur artist. Woohoo, yay. Other than that, it had some heartfelt moments, punching bag Milhouse, and the funniest scene, "Homer, are you eating that cake!?", but Homer's ear blood gag was... eww. 3/5, 7/10.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Really good episode and it was a refreshing take on the flashback and future episodes. The Grandpa/Bart dynamic was funny and sweet, and it was kinda cool to see a future episode with minimal futuristic jokes, the only one I counted was the Apple car which was pretty funny. 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Christmas Pax View Post
    It was pretty good up until the end, when Bart's dickish behaviour became unbearable and selfish (glad Lisa called him out on that).
    Isnt that the point? He gets unbearable and gets called out on it. Though I'd say his anger was partly justified.

The ending parts were kind of weird because Lisa calls Bart a great artist, and in the end, he's making money as an ameteur artist. 3/5, 7/10.
    Liked that too, I dont like when shows make someone find a talent and then suddenly they jump to the top. It makes sense he'd still be an ameteur artist at first.

Blog Entries

Of course it's the point, but when someone saves your life after you could have died, no reasonable person immediately throws a tantrum due to a desire to bring up the past. That's why it was kind of stupid IMO. And Lisa names a talent that hasn't been fully fleshed out other than Bart drawing on the cabinets, then years later he does it because of Lisa's half-hearted reasoning for why she doesn't always come first, just so she can keep him from whining again. That's why I didn't like Bart's artistic future.

Blog Entries

Enjoyable. 4/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Blog Entries

First off @Venomrabbit owes me money.

Secondly, it was... okay. Not bad, just unremarkable. Not going to be bothering ranking right now because I’m conflicted and I may need to rewatch to form a solid opinion.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It lacked humor, but other than that, this was a really good episode. It had some of the most "real" emotion I've seen in a long time, and it was really interesting seeing a lot of the characters as teenagers. I could really believe the characters would become what were shown as (other than Milhouse having a mustache at the age of 11 or 12). The whole "Bart in Lisa's shadow" has been touched on before, like in Lisa's Sax, but I'm glad it was expanded on here. Like I said, there were vey few jokes in the episode, but that's better than a bunch of failed jokes. They were going for emotion, and I think they nailed it for the most part. Low 5/5, best of the season after Halloween of Horror.

Lisa names a talent that hasn't been fully fleshed out other than Bart drawing on the cabinets, then years later he does it because of Lisa's half-hearted reasoning for why she doesn't always come first, just so she can keep him from whining again. That's why I didn't like Bart's artistic future.
    I do wish it was a previously established talent so it doesnt feel as out of nowhere. Though tying it with sports at least made sense.

I think this answers the question of that recent thread "Do you watch the Simpsons for humour"

Blog Entries

interesting episode. i liked how it also had elements of another linklater film "dazed and confused".

Blog Entries

I did prefer the BMX talent to the artistry talent, since Bart has shown a love of extreme sports in the past. I think that would've worked better.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax, Smear-Gel

This episode was so good all all all I can do is manage a, a, "Rick & Morty" stammer to describe how much,.. I mean, why do i like this one so much?.. The Simpsons, Huh?.. and and Bart, ya know?.. there's Bart, and there's Lisa, th, that was really wild, really something, right? Pretty good, Huh?
    5/5

.. 20% right as Usual Morty! *urp!*

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos, Nicky

Did anyone else catch that Avenue Q reference that Milhouse made at the Grad party scene?

oh and I just noticed the Executive producer part of the end credits
    Last edited by ComicBookGal; 12-13-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Bart's a graffiti artist. It's essentially one of his biggest characteristics, so I thought the transition to artist made lots of sense.

Blog Entries

Not really. Other than Exit Through the Kwik-E-Mart, Bart's graffiti is almost solely him writing "El Barto" or something else. He very rarely drew anything.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    Also, Harry Shearer was credited, but he didn't do any voices. I guess he's now starting to be like Chris Edgerly, being credited for not doing any voices in the episode. Overall, I give it a 3/5.
    I bet this one was recorded during the Harry Shearer drama in May. Al said they had seven season 27 episodes in the hopper with Shearer's voices recorded at the time. They might have cut him out of a few episodes at the time in order to carry on with production, even though that fiasco was only what, 1, 2 weeks? Maybe we'll have another episode or two coming up here without Shearer characters.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

This was a pretty good episode - put it in the "Emmy consideration" pile

The opening, with Kang (or is it Kodos?) in Santa's sleigh, first appeared in "Holidays of Future Past."

If the couch opening was rotoscoped, then who were the "models" for the Simpsons?

Another episode where the title appears on the screen, along with, for example, "Bart Gets Hit By A Car," "22 Short Films About Springfield," "Treehouse of Horror [fill in the number here]."

The episode was rated TV-14, presumably for the scene with Homer and Chief Wiggum smoking bongs. (I don't know if there's a list of things that require a TV-14, but drug use is one of the things for which MPAA requires at least a PG-13.)

In the "two years later" scene early on, Grampa had both yellow (on top) and brown (on the sides) hair.

Homer wears what appears to be a Pin Pals shirt without the logo or writing.

Somebody remembered that Lisa didn't turn vegetarian until she was in second grade.

The episode skips from eight-year-old Bart to 12, where he has a mullet.

Lisa was student of the month for 48 consecutive months on Bart's 12th birthday, when she would have been in school for no more than five years; either the school year runs from August to June, or Lisa goes to summer school.

Grampa has a drawing on his wall signed "El Barto."

One of the tombstones reads, MS. EMILIE MERCER / SCHOOL LIBRARIAN / "I regret that I've nothing to regret."

Maude's tombstone calls her a "beloved scold."

The Past Champions Entrance at the BMX event is a wheelchair ramp.

Bart has 3 broken necks, 27 sketchy endorsements, 8 stokage, 78 rad moves, and a career air time of 2 days, 3 minutes.
    Lisa has a 4.0 GPA, 1032 animals rescued, 10,638 trees planted, 3 Presidential medals, and 0 tardies.

Lisa is graduating the same year as Bart, and going to Yale, just as predicted in "Future-Drama."

Written by Dan Greaney
    Directed by Rob Oliver
    Couch: Everybody appears rotoscoped before reverting back to their usual animated forms
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly, Maggie Roswell, Russi Taylor
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-14-LV

Blog Entries

I was getting a lot of LaZebnik vibes tonight, probably because of the ep's relative lack of plot twists and stronger focus on the character interaction with major or recurring characters rather than a one-timer or a group of new characters from a new setting. And while that makes for a nice storyline, it doesn't really add anything to Bart's character we haven't seen before (like, did anyone else see that ending with Lisa's drawing on the wall coming?)

For an ep that has to deal with Bart's relationship with Lisa, his relationship with Homer, and his various talents, Barthood has some surprisingly good pacing because of how it deals with past, present (12 years old but same difference), and future, one act at a time. I thought it could have done well with some more parallels so that it's not three separate stories, but maybe that'd make some of the acts too repetitive. As it stands, though, the conflict isn't defined well enough to make the ending worthwhile. Maybe if they had just stuck with Bart and Homer or Bart and Lisa instead of both. Props to them for not going overboard with the references to the future or past and sticking to the story.

Some nice animation on Rob Oliver's part tonight, especially when Homer lashes out at Bart. Solid ep but certainly didn't live up to the hype everyone had. Voting 4/5 on poll.

Thread Information